Yakims vs Thule roof racks? Yak CoreBar vs JetStream?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
EX35WinterBeater
Car: Summer: 2003 Honda S2000
Winter: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Hey all,

I’m looking for a new roof rack setup as the old one from my Subaru doesn’t fit my Infiniti. I’m looking at Yakima and Thule, I’m open to other brands if they make a quality product. I am partial to Yakima as that’s what I had before and what most of my attachments are, but I’m not married to them by any means.

I’d be looking at Yakima’s new Timberline tower, which looks pretty slick. My car has side rails but no cross bars. Thule would be the AeroBlade Edge, which also looks pretty slick as the tower and bar appear to be integrated. My concern with both of these are the rubber straps securing it to the rails. Living in Calgary, and being my winter car, the straps will see some cold weather.

The Yakima would be cheaper at $420 ($250 for towers and $170 for core bars), as I should be able to reuse the SKS lock cores I already have. https://www.yakima.com/ca/timberline-towers-4-pack
The Thule AeroBlade is $560, so decent amount more. But at the end of the day, I plan on keeping this vehicle a while so a bit extra initially is no biggie. https://www.thule.com/en-us/ca/roof-rac ... 02-_-7502a

Anyone here using, or have experience with these? If I go the Yakima rack, I’m also wondering if anyone has experience between their core bars, or the Jetstream bars. The noise generated from my old round bars was kind of annoying. Both of these designs seem to be an improvement, but I can’t find much for comparisons online.

I see the older Yakima RailGrab towers look like they could work, but there's no info if they will on the Yak site since they've moved to a new tower.

Thanks!

EX35WinterBeater

47 views and no replys? lol. Does nobody use a roof rack on their EX, or using the factory cross bars?

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

I have cross bars but have never put anything on them yet. I know there are threads on this forum about Yakima and Thule ... a few of them. Do a search or two.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

Just did a simple search...Thule had 116 posts referenced. Yakima was in 52 posts... lol

EX35WinterBeater

I did do a search before posting, but none of the info is actually relevant. Everything is old and dated, both companies have come out with new products which I was asking about specifically. Not trying to be rude but I always search before I post because it's annoying when people don't.

I think I'm just going to bit the bullet and pick up the Yakima Timberline towers and core bars tomorrow. They're on sale (not much, 10%) and I'd like to get the kayaks on the water. Already have a hitch installed and a Swagman XC2 for the bikes. A few more accessories and my EX will be complete!

EX35WinterBeater

So I picked up the Yakima setup yesterday. I'll get it installed next week and I'll post a review once I use it.

DHackRSX

I have a Yakima rack.

Didn't reply because my stuff is pretty old and I don't have any experience with Thule on an EX although I've owned Thule for other vehicles.

I have: Rail Grabs, 48" round crossbars and Aero Raptor trays. It all works great.

I'm 6" and getting my bike situated in the trays and getting the jaws up on the frame can be a challenge.

My wife had an EX with factory crossbars and I used my Yakima Frontloader tray on it. I remember it sitting pretty far back, so much so that I couldn't open the hatch all the way bc the glass would hit the back tire of my bike, and not as sturdy as the Yak crossbars.

I'm willing to give the factory crossbars another chance though if they cut down on wind resistance/noise factor.

What setup did you go with?

D

EX35WinterBeater

DHackRSX wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:11 pm
I have a Yakima rack.

Didn't reply because my stuff is pretty old and I don't have any experience with Thule on an EX although I've owned Thule for other vehicles.

I have: Rail Grabs, 48" round crossbars and Aero Raptor trays. It all works great.

I'm 6" and getting my bike situated in the trays and getting the jaws up on the frame can be a challenge.

My wife had an EX with factory crossbars and I used my Yakima Frontloader tray on it. I remember it sitting pretty far back, so much so that I couldn't open the hatch all the way bc the glass would hit the back tire of my bike, and not as sturdy as the Yak crossbars.

I'm willing to give the factory crossbars another chance though if they cut down on wind resistance/noise factor.

What setup did you go with?

D
I had round bars with 2 Yakima front loaders on my old car, worked well but being 5'9", I didn't want to have to put bikes on the roof after a day off riding. So I got a hitch installed and have a swagman XC2 for 2 bikes. For the roof I went with the new Yakima timberline towers and 50" core bars. I already have some J cradles, as the roof rack will be for our kayaks.

Plan on putting it on sometime next week and going camping. It'll be nice to be able to take our bikes and kayaks, used to be one or the other.

DHackRSX

It would be much easier to put a bike on the roof if the tray was on the outside of the rails, but then you'd run the risk of hitting your head every time you got in/out/around/near them.

I'd love to have a hitch rack, a 1UP USA rack would be perfect, but I've got the aero body underbody kit and I don't know if it's even possible.

Post pics when you get your rack on.

D

schaffs04
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD Premium. Blue Slate/Wheat

So, I have little to add here except that I have used the factory crossbars to carry my SUP boards. The paint finish is a little delicate and the factory bars have a load rating of 110lbs but they serve the purpose I need. The low lift height makes it a breeze to load.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”