Y33 Suspension - 2019 edition

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
TheDeadKing
Car: 1994 Nissan 300ZX & 2001 Infiniti Q45t

Ludeaem wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:37 am
Very cool. I almost went that directionI but decided against it for whatever reason. Looks like even with shipping to the US it'll be about the same as my setup with Swift springs (1500)?
When I bought my shocks and springs two years ago, I paid $812.14 shipped from Japan. Due to COVID-19, I know shipping prices are substantially higher. I'm sure the price difference between shocks & springs and coilovers will be negligible, especially when factoring in the OEM/OE rubber bits; however, I am seeking more ride comfort than I am performance or stance.

TheDeadKing
Car: 1994 Nissan 300ZX & 2001 Infiniti Q45t

For those that did replace the inserts, what shock fluid did you use or recommend?

Unfortunately, details are sparse in the how-to: https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/q45-t ... truts.html
3. Carefully secure the strut to a vise at a point that will not damage the strut casing. Use a pipe wrench to remove the nut holding the cartridge into the strut. Remove the cartridge and empty out all the old strut oil.

4. Replace strut oil with new and replace with a new cartridge. Be sure to snug the nut down onto the new cartridge.
I found this while looking for information:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/artic ... il-inside/

And this directly from KYB:

https://www.kyb.com/resources/technical ... yle-strut/

Q45 Matias
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45

Sup guys I went with the route of installing the coils myself ! I got the BC racing BR series with splindles. The bad boy came with all the brackets for abs and brake line and it fit perfect. Everything installed perfect but I noticed the spacer that goes behind the nut for the wheel hub wasn’t fitting. So I compared the original splindle to the new one. The old one has a rectangular piece at the end so a rectangular spacer can rest than the bolt can go over, the new ones didn’t need the spacer. They made it all round but the tip for the bolt. My pops won’t let me drive the car till he knows it’s safe to drive with this piece missing. Anyone have any advice or had the same issue. Car is all together just don’t know if this was a mistake from BC . LMK ASAP! I’m going to call BC tmr morning to know if this was there intended design.

Ludeaem
Car: 2000 Infiniti Q45 AE

I did not use the spacer if memory serves. I put on the wheel bearing, cap, wheel, etc and spun it while in the air and heard no scrapping and also did the 12/6 wheel bearing check for play. They were both tight with no free play

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

Call BC They had great support when I was getting installed

Ludeaem

What did they say?

rak.y33
Car: Silver on Black Leather1997 Infiniti Q45 Y33 w/ 85k miles

Why doesn't everyone just go on Yahoo Auction Japan, find the corresponding chassis y33 KYB struts/Shocks and get some Espelir Down Suspension? If you don't want coils just hit up Jesse Streeter and have him import it for you. Sure is the combo gonna cost you $600+? Yes. Is it lower than stock and handle better? Yes. The ride is about half as soft as stock and you get the perfect drop without risking the underside of your car at all.

$1200+ labor? coils
Or $600 + labor? Springs shocks

Anyways, if anyone needs links to either of these items I can direct you no problem. My 98' rides freaking awesome with the KYB drop shocks and Espelir Super Down Sus.

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

The issue with the springs from Japan is that they are made for V6 cars, I had Tein springs and KYB SR Specials when my original shocks wore out. They only lasted 30k and I blew out a SR Special and couldn't find any replacements for those. Maybe you can give folks the details on Jesse Streeter as most people with Y33's with original shocks/springs need replacement.

rak.y33
Car: Silver on Black Leather1997 Infiniti Q45 Y33 w/ 85k miles

Jessestreeter.com which also has his email on the site.
All you do is find the Yahoo Auction Japan listing you want and email him it for a quote on shipping or for an invoice to pay and start the process of trying to win the auction.

But as for the springs and suspension;
The Espelir Super Downsus (ESN-291) springs I got are for the (FH)Y33 chassis with 3.0Turbo and I could not find a set that was for the same VH41DE v8 with my (FH)Y33 Chassis.
So as for your concern about the springs for v6 vs. v8 I can't solve, I just know these work perfect install with no issue and match the chassis.

The shocks were KYB LowferSports (Fronts: WSC6004 and WSF9069) 1" drop shocks so they size to the drop springs MUCH better than the SR specials wich are oem length which would cause them to have more force on the shocks and not the springs. I did read about your issue before I bought them and it made me get the 1" drop lowfers instead. It made sense to only get drop springs with shorter length shocks to avoid that issue of blowing out the shocks early.
I got new KYB usdm top hats and bushings from rock auto and everything worked together no problems when installing. Car rides great and handles much better.

If you just search for those Names and Part numbers you will find exactly what I have on my car. The original auction/sale listings for what I got are changed now but you can still find the parts on Yahoo Auction Japan.

I've gotten, suspension, wheels, steering wheels, headlights, and even a full impul y33 kit through Streeter With no problems and great service. His fees are minimal and he only uses the best shipping. Things can get pricey but I mean tell me how you can import jdm parts cheaper and I'll do it that way lol.

Ludeaem

Updating this because the other suspension thread should be updated with info in THIS chat. Good stuff guys.

I have been running BC's for 3 years now and even when I get rid of my 19s and put the 17s on with LARGER profile than stock it still rides meh. Tired of it. Will be going springs/shocks route from Japan so shoutout to those who put part numbers and experiences.

fontana dan
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

Wow thanks for bumping this thread. Great info.
Will these SR specials work with my base model 1997 Q45? p/n NSC6004
https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/auction/ ... ink_search
Should I go with the set of 4 SR specials? Or get the SR for the front, and GABRIEL G5193 for the rear?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 56&jsn=788

Ludeaem

After a few days of research I think I am going with the KYB Lowfy Shocks with the Espelir springs. The shocks are made to be used wtith lowering springs. I would not mismatch shocks front and rear. Different valving can cause a wonky response in some scenarios.

fontana dan

Lets get a sticky on this thread.
Ordering set of 4 KYB SR Special NSC6004 and NSG9069 for my 1997 FHY33 Infiniti. Should I get any bushings or balljoints? Already done tension rods and swaybar links.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/au ... 1070617883

KYB e catalogue

http://www.kybweb.com/kybes/new_pilot/eu/index_m.html?

Ludeaem

Shout out to Rak.y33 with the importer info. I ended up using JessieStreeter and had a great interaction.

One thing to note is the fronts are going to be cartridges which I stupidly didn't think about and I threw out my old units years ago when I did my coilovers. Doh! Anyone have some blown front strut assemblies laying around? Hah. Looks like i'll be junkyard scrumming.

Another thing to note I did find the Espelir springs that are meant for the v8 cars is ESN-149

fontana dan

Ludeaem wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:19 pm
Shout out to Rak.y33 with the importer info. I ended up using JessieStreeter and had a great interaction.

One thing to note is the fronts are going to be cartridges which I stupidly didn't think about and I threw out my old units years ago when I did my coilovers. Doh! Anyone have some blown front strut assemblies laying around? Hah. Looks like i'll be junkyard scrumming.

Another thing to note I did find the Espelir springs that are meant for the v8 cars is ESN-149
I will hopefully have some blown front strut assemblies sitting around in a few weeks after I install the KYB specials I ordered from Streeter.

Ludeaem

So I went to the junkyard and scored some suspension. Question though, some of the rear suspension rubber bits are starting to decay (like the upper spring seat) and online they are discontinued. From my research the only aftermarket parts for the rear suspension are the bump stop and another piece. So...what are you all doing about this? Where can I source some of these odd bits if at all?

chrisbr66
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45t

fontana dan wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:45 pm
Ludeaem wrote:

I will hopefully have some blown front strut assemblies sitting around in a few weeks after I install the KYB specials I ordered from Streeter.
Would you mind letting me know the total price you paid for the set after shipping and fees?

fontana dan

4 struts were delivered from Japan for ¥70,403 yen or $510 USD.
The 6 day DHL shipping cost ¥25,551, more than the 2 front shocks KYB NSC6004 at ¥10560 each.
¥3,500 commission for importer.
¥630 yen bank fee.
hoping they will fit

Ludeaem

4 shocks and springs shipped to my door was about $800 all in.

Ludeaem

fontana dan wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:45 pm
Ludeaem wrote:

I would think your SR Specials are front inserts like my order?

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

Yes they will just be inserts, you will need to go find some old strut assemblies.

fontana dan

This is what I ordered. I'm under the impression that it is a strut assembly. There is no dust boot on the picture, so i guess I will have to buy those separate. Who knows what else I will realize is missing at the last minute.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/au ... 1075756705

Ludeaem

Just a heads up, thats a universal mcpherson strut setup and not like our setup. So, you'll have to reuse the stock strut and insert the new cartridge.

fontana dan

Sheesh thanks for the heads up. Still have the OG struts on the car. I hope this install goes smoothly whatever it takes.
:iws:

Ludeaem

Just some updates for those in the future curious. I had BC's and did not like the ride. Thought about getting softer spring rates but I think the valving on the shocks would not match well so I ended up buying some KYB Lowfer shocks and the Espiler springs and the springs are almost stock like as far as their spring rate but the lowfer shocks are just valved too aggressively for these soft springs. Ugh. Now, I just ordered SR Specials from japan. I'm hoping this is the ticket even if they only last me 20,000 miles. At my rate 20,000 miles will take me 3-5 years so i'm ok with that.

Needless to say, the lowfer shocks will be for sale soon and the coilovers are already for sale. I just can't enjoy the car like I want if it rides like a$$. To be continued...

fontana dan

I like the KYB specials up front, they are physically larger and beefier than the original inserts. They keep the front end level while soaking up bumps nicely. No more bouncing after you stop at a red light.
I've also put KYB specials in the rear, got about 5000 miles on them as well. They are firm, there is an amount of harshness from them at lower speeds. However they do a great job keeping the tires planted firmly and controlling the body. EXCELLENT highway manners.

Ludeaem

Yea I will report back when I have them installed. The aftermarket springs are only slightly stiffer than the OEM springs. 5-10% so hoping the SR Specials pair better as I'm getting a wallowly effect on larger bumps were the car doesn't settle right. Attributing that to a spring too soft paired with a shock valved too aggressively.

fontana dan

I'm using 4 factory springs with the SR Specials. The bump steer is gone. No wallowing or wheel hop.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”