Xenon Headlights?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
JFP
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Phantom White

My wife and I recently picked up our SL AWD and it's FANTASTIC! Extremely happy so far.

I've been reading that the Rogue has xenon headlights although our car seems to have halogens. Are xenons only offered on US models?

I'm familiar with xenons but not seeing it on our Rogue.

Any thoughts?

JP

cpca
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Phantom White

In the US, the xenon headlights are part of the Premium Package for SL AWD models ...

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Yes, the US-spec Rogue comes with Xenon headlights while the Canada-spec only comes with Halogens. You can always get an aftermarket Xenon kit for the Rogue as buying US-spec headlights with Xenon would be expensive (and they may not ship to Cananda). I do not know if the actual headlight housing is different between halogen and Xenon tho.....

JFP
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Phantom White

That sucks, why would they drop that feature in Canada?

Xenons are the way to go, I'm jealous.

exeunt
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Phantom Pearl

I've got Xenon's on my immigrant Rogue Its likely they dropped it because the only way to have daytime running lights on a Xenon is to run them all the time. This makes their life span significantly shorter. I like them too though, so I'll put up with it

lenvoile
Car: nissan rogue, nissan maxima, nissan frontier

You could connect the day light to the fog lamp instead of Xenon head lamp (like Murano) if you don't want to shorter your xenon lamp life.

killercross
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

Xenon...A bit annoyed that the Canadian model does not offer them. I have them on my Maxima and the day time running light is a separate bulb (Halogen). So it can be done...

EddNog
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

The majority of US cars running DRLs simply run the high beam bulb at half brightness; the way the Rogue is designed, this can easily be implemented, because it has a separate halogen high beam.

I do not know why it was not offered with HID low beam in Canada; there must be some other regulation that the US HID lamps do not meet. I understand in some places in Europe HIDs are only allowed if there is a clearing/cleaning mechanism for the outside of the lamp enclosure (spray or wiper). Perhaps Canada has adopted a similar regulation? Rogue does not have such equipment in the US w/HIDs.

-Ed

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

EddNog wrote:The majority of US cars running DRLs simply run the high beam bulb at half brightness; the way the Rogue is designed, this can easily be implemented, because it has a separate halogen high beam.

I do not know why it was not offered with HID low beam in Canada; there must be some other regulation that the US HID lamps do not meet. I understand in some places in Europe HIDs are only allowed if there is a clearing/cleaning mechanism for the outside of the lamp enclosure (spray or wiper). Perhaps Canada has adopted a similar regulation? Rogue does not have such equipment in the US w/HIDs.

-Ed
So am I to understand that if I wanted DRL on my US halogen equiped Rogue that there might be a way to do so. And if so how difficult would it be?

The Gotham gray is a wondefull color but it isn't quiet as visible as some other colors. I'm trying to remember to turn the lights on at every start up but I don't always remember.

EddNog

Depending on what you're trying to achieve...

If you are concerned with regards to safety and visibility, and would prefer to have a form of DRLs on the car (effectively, as soon as the car is put into Drive), it is doable, but you'll need some help from a friend who knows how to deal with electronics (sorry, I'm not the right guy for this--quit EE before the end of the first semester at Stony Brook). What you would need to do is run a wire from the transmission control sensor to a relay, and then run from the relay to an attenuator that can send half power to the high beam line. The relay will also prevent sending too much power to the high beams if you activate or flash the actual high beam function. I'm under the impression it is also possible to set it up so that any time you're not in Park, it can activate the DRLs--which method is easier, I am unsure.

You'd need an electronically inclined friend as well as diagrams of the particular wiring harnesses involved, and also the relay(s) and any necessary wires. It's definitely doable; how easy it is, you'd need your electronically inclined friend to tell you. (S)He probably can't tell you until (s)he looks at said wiring diagrams.

-Ed

EDIT: Wanted to add that A) this method is not going to earn you any sort of discount on your insurance and B) this may or may not void some sort(s) of warranty(ies) on the car.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

Thanks for the info Ed, sounds like more trouble than I'm willing to deal with. I'll just get use to turning the lights on at start up.

Rogue Man
Car: 06 Civic EX Coupe FG1

I love the way the lights are on the rouge and i wonder what it would look like with projectors on it aswell. The other forum im on with my Civic alot of people did retro fit headlights with projectors and they look fantastic! i also wonder if some aftermarket company is going to make projectors or LED tails for the Rouge. Im sure someone will. The stock bulbs are fine enough and bright enough already also.

EddNog

Rouge Man wrote:I love the way the lights are on the rouge and i wonder what it would look like with projectors on it aswell. The other forum im on with my Civic alot of people did retro fit headlights with projectors and they look fantastic! i also wonder if some aftermarket company is going to make projectors or LED tails for the Rouge. Im sure someone will. The stock bulbs are fine enough and bright enough already also.
The Rogue's HID lamps are manual power level adjustable, so I think that a projector retrofit may be difficult due to this feature. I did two custom retrofit lamps on my tC before finally trading it in for my Z back in May. They look great when done right, but you need to be pretty skillfull at tasks of this sort or know someone who is and be willing to pay. Both sets on my tC were done by the now defunct HIDRetro.com, but I found another person much closer in New Jersey who does them, and he happens to specialize in Zs, among other cars, so I figure he probably can handle a Rogue retrofit.

I'd bet non-HID Rogues will be easier to retrofit than HID ones though, because of the power leveling mechanism.

-Ed

Rogue Man
Car: 06 Civic EX Coupe FG1

Ahh i see thanks for the reply man. Yeah the site the members go to is customlightz they are a highly skilled and respected retrofitters. If you plan on doing a future retrofit on the Rouge please let me know!

Return to “Rogue Forum”