Write-up: Replacing front lower control arms on 13s

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Sushiadct
Car: 91' 240sx Fastback KA-T DD

White Comet wrote:^ wow, look at the stones of this 28 post newbie
I am a newbie and felt I had to say something.... I do find posts like this useful and nico club is the main place I come to learn about cars! SO thank you for posting this. Not all of us are car experts, and I'm afraid to take things off which I know nothing about, so thank you for the post with pics, I appreciate it!

yokota180sx
Car: 1997 Stagea RS4, r34 front

dude, if yuo found that useful, ,and cant just sit in a chair, look at your LCA and know what to do....sell your car, and buy something with a warranty, youll never last with a 240.
Sushiadct wrote:Yokota are you really have nothing to do but flame? This person took their time with pics of how to do something, that some people would find useful. So please keep your negativity to your gd self, and go play a game with some 13 year olds and flame each other.

boznuttz
Car: MS13

Damn, this is still going, lol.

Brush it off guys. This is life, you are going to be criticized anywhere you go in life. Learn to brush it off and walk away. You won't ever get anything accomplished if you just sit there moaping about what a few people say.

Do YOU guys think you did a good job on your writeups?-If so, great! Pat yourself on the back and move along.

Yokota has been a member on Nico for a while and can be very opinionated sometimes (just browse the Wheel/ Tires/ Brakes/ and Suspension Forum), does it mean you should fret over it and stress yourself out? - No. Do his opinions make him an a**hole? - Not necessarily. Should you waste your time figuring out a witty comeback to maybe make him change his ways? - Lol, forget about it.

No matter where you go, people will have different opinions whether you like them or not. Learn to live with it, because in the end, the only opinion that you matter to you, is your own.

......Seriously........

Lol, /thread already!!!

Clawhammer

Damn, some people are so defensive!

Rosco
Car: 91' SR'ed Hatch

yokota180sx wrote:i dont drink.....
You should start.....

heartofaskyline
Car: 1992 hatch, 1993 sr20 coupe

Clawhammer wrote:Damn, some people are so defensive!
for real! he didnt even really flame the dude. all he did was poke a little fun at someone who did a write-up on something thats easy and can be found in your chiltons manual.

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

Rosco wrote:
You should start.....
I enjoy a good Sam Adams from time to time. It's good tasting beer

Rosco
Car: 91' SR'ed Hatch

Sam Adams is a good beer.....Grolsch is my fave!!

thekage
Car: 98 Dodge Caravan, 98 Dodge Intrepid

heartofaskyline wrote:
for real! he didnt even really flame the dude. all he did was poke a little fun at someone who did a write-up on something thats easy and can be found in your chiltons manual.
You know..he was trying to share some new info with people.. mainly that you don't need the forks or the puller... That is not in your Chilton's. The spirit of this community is one of helpfulness and comradery. If you are going to flame someone for trying to contribute to that... you can go DIAF.

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

Rosco wrote:Sam Adams is a good beer.....Grolsch is my fave!!
You know, I need to try that. I've seen it in Kroger (near the Sam) but have yet to pick it up. A local radio station has them as a sponsor for an oktoberfest of sorts. I'm going to get some grolsch this weekend instead of sam.

ILikeMy240sx
Car: SR Power

I have a problem with you recommending hammering the ball joint it self...

I can just picture bunch of noobz that do not plan on replacing the lower control arm doing this...

What you should hammer is part of the knuckle that the ball joint presses into. You NEVER EVER want to hit the ball joint it self. Unless, of course, you are going to replace it.

Usually I drench the entire assy in PB Blaster for hours and hammer away with the heaviest sledge hammer I can find. With enough hammering, it usually comes off.

BTW, they dont sell the ball joint it self. You HAVE to buy the entire control arm if you f*** up the bal joint.

KFL
Car: S14

I forsee a how to replace your tie rod ends next as that 1 pic shows it busted. I have the same jack/stands

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

KFL wrote:I forsee a how to replace your tie rod ends next as that 1 pic shows it busted. I have the same jack/stands
What are tie rod ends? And do I have them on my s13?

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

ILikeMy240sx wrote:Usually I drench the entire assy in PB Blaster for hours and hammer away with the heaviest sledge hammer I can find. With enough hammering, it usually comes off.
Remove the nut, soak it with PB Blaster, put the nut back on with few turns and bang it with a hammer. It works everytime. That way you won't damage the knukle with a hammer. Yeah, this tie rod end gotta go.

boznuttz

ILikeMy240sx wrote:BTW, they dont sell the ball joint it self. You HAVE to buy the entire control arm if you f*** up the bal joint.
You can easily pick up a set of B13 balljoints for the S13 LCA's. They are almost exactly the same.

ILikeMy240sx
Car: SR Power

boznuttz wrote:
You can easily pick up a set of B13 balljoints for the S13 LCA's. They are almost exactly the same.
ahhh yes I forgot about the B13 balljoint... didnt someone from NICO did that little experiment? I remember seeing that a while ago.

boznuttz

Yep, I used them on stock S13 LCA's before I got another set from SPL. It worked great.

*Wasn't my writeup, though.*
Modified by boznuttz at 4:52 PM 10/18/2007

jdm_master_X
Car: 92 Nissan 180SX LHD!...LaWL

boznuttz wrote:
its the rear that uses the B13 ball joints right? I pressed those on for a friend and boy are they a tight fit.

the front ball joints can be purchased separately provided you have the correct part number from moog. all i remember is the 5 lug ball joint for s13s, which is 9801. lol

boznuttz

I used the B13s for the front S13. Worked great for me.

mchkc240
Car: 91,92 Nissan S13 - SOLD
98 BMW E36 - Running

I just got my new tie rod ends today. Im doing it tomorrow. In the write up I said hammering the bolt is going to destroy the ball joint. Also as I said this is something really easy to do. The main reason why I wanted to do this is because those pullers and forks dont work as well as hammers. There are people out there who just started getting into cars. So if they want to do the ball joint they might go get the "ball joint removal tool" But hammer is the way to go. That's it. Just want to help other people out.

yokota180sx

oh god

please do a tie rod end how to!!!!!im sure we cant start our cars either!

schanne
Car: 93 Hatch-Sr20

awsome write-up. I'm planning this for my next day off

mchkc240
Car: 91,92 Nissan S13 - SOLD
98 BMW E36 - Running

As long as your ball joints are not stuck then you can get it done real quick. But I mean if you are taking stuff off you might as well changing other stuff too!

yokota180sx - I appreciate your comment. Thank you. You might not be able to start your car but other people should be able to. Just dont forget your key!

White Comet
Car: fc, s13 and mazda6, Sierra

this thrad makes me lol. granted yokota can come off pretty strong, but u dont need to take what he says seriously, i dont when hes ripping on me

Slappy
Car: 1993 240 sx coupe

I never seen so many puszy bleeders b1tch this much in a DIY thread.

yokota180sx

White Comet wrote:this thrad makes me lol. granted yokota can come off pretty strong, but u dont need to take what he says seriously, i dont when hes ripping on me
bingo

Slappy
Car: 1993 240 sx coupe

Well , keep that **** in off topic , not in someones DIY thread.

yokota180sx

but, i dont like offtopic

Clawhammer

Yeah. Let me tell you something. I could give two ****s about anything you guys have to say in off topic. I come here for a reason. I have friends in the RL (yeah that's right I dropped the RL) to shoot the **** with.

White Comet
Car: fc, s13 and mazda6, Sierra

^ by posting that, arent u contributing to the problem? lol, jk

Return to “240sx General Discussion”