would you sell your instruments for car parts or vice-versa?

Musicians and music-related topics are all right here in the Music Room.
dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

im coming to a point where i need to be spending more money on my car. i am really motivated to get it done but im not going to ruin my life going into debt in this economy over stuff i dont really need. that leaves me with getting rid of stuff i already have for cash to spend on it.

i have 5 guitars that i play about every day. there are 2 i would never consider selling, the les paul engagement gift from my fiancee and the takamine electric/acoustic i got as a graduation present.

the others are an epiphone acoustic that i got for free, i like it but im not attached to it. i have a cheap ibanez pf acoustic that i was screwing around with styling. its complete and strung now though. lastly there is the peavey starter electric that i have had since i was a kid. probably not even worth selling.

most i could make is like $200 but that would probably help with the parts i need to buy for the car, at least in part. since they are relatively cheap and disposable i could buy more later... but for only $200 seems like its not worth it.

what would you do? have you sold guitars for parts and regretted it?

ScrapMetal
Car: 1999 Chevrolet S10, 1991 Ford Bronco 5.0

Don't sell your instruments for car parts, and worse some of those instruments were gifts. Your car is always going to be there, those instruments were given to you by your fiancee and your parents and friends.

I sold my drum set because I needed money to survive i.e. pay bills, not for a car.

Think about what your doing, your definitely going to regret it, even when the car is finished.

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

I'd keep the guitars myself. You could try posting ads in craiglist to do car tune ups and the like to make a few extra bucks. Your not working on your car but at least it's a car.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

the converted wrote:I'd keep the guitars myself. You could try posting ads in craiglist to do car tune ups and the like to make a few extra bucks. Your not working on your car but at least it's a car.
That's an idea that I haven't thought of before. Interesting...

As for selling musical instruments for car parts...my experience says don't do it.

When I was in the Navy, I sold/traded my first drumset for car audio and cash. When I got out in 01, i had the oportunity to get back together with a couple guys I jammed with before the Navy, but guess what...no drumset.

Kicked myself in the *** for getting rid of it because after I did, it was sold about 4 more times before ending up getting destroyed in a house fire. (I knew each person that had it, too)

If it's something you need money for to survive, then that's a different story. If it's for car parts, don't.

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

id still have at least the les paul and the takamine, not selling those ever.

the other guitars are relatively cheap and could be re-purchased later, but the real question is, they cant bring in significant amount of cash but would it be worth it anyway?

mzeo
Car: RIP Coupe, RIP

I've had my Les Paul for 14 years, and would never think of selling it.

For $200, I don't think I'd bother. Sentimental value is probably worth waay more than that anyway. DON'T DO IT!

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

I always regret getting rid of instruments. However if you have a collection of nice sounding guitars and want to sell a few, go for it. I wouldn't tho.

Spiritinthesky
Car: Jag S Type

No way! I've still got my very first guitar that I bought when I was 11 years old.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

My brother is selling his Bach Strad Trombone to buy a racing bike lol.

I'm ok with it - I've grown out of playing music myself, so I have no issues with converting something that I used to love into something I love now.

CadetLD
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe

I get attached to my instruments. It would be like losing a pet or selling a friend out.

Return to “The Music Room”