Winter Tires -TPMS & Wheel Questions (2nd Gen)

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
DaytonDennis
Car: 2016 Rogue SV

I couldn't find a more current thread, so I'll kick start this one. I purchased my 2016 Rogue at the end of December. I wanted winter tires (studded, actually). Being late in the season they were pretty much non-existent. Found some at a price $50 less per tire than Walmart (out of stock) listed them for. They are Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV 8 (Factory Studded) 225/65R17XL. A YouTube video entitled The Ten Best Winter Tires had them at #1 (take that for what you will) I got them online at Tire Easy, the 4 for $638 with free shipping and free road hazard coverage (12 months). Got new wheels at Tire Rack. But to the topic about TPMS.

I want TPMS on the snow tire set. Did some YouTube searching and found a pretty good video about installing or replacing TPMS's on mounted tires (obviously holds true for non-mounted wheels, just easier) He has two videos, one is: "Install New TPMS Sensor DIY Without Needing Rebalance" and the other is: "Buy New or Replace TPMS Sensors for Cheap!" The latter shows the kit he uses is by Autel and includes 4 TPMS sensors and a MaxiTPMS Pad which clones the new TPMS with the old (and back when necessary). They are sold at Newegg (who I have dealt with on photography equipment and are very reputable), the cost for 4 sensors and the pad is $159. They also sell individual sensors for $27. I plan on installing them on the new rims, cloning each one to each existing tire and hopefully the Rogue will recognize them without relearning. I'll then take the tire and rim to a shop to have them mounted and balanced. When I replace them in the spring, I plan on rotating my "old" tires and clone each tire for the new position. My only issue thus far is what the frequency is (I'm still researching that) SOME marketers had Rogue at 315mhz and some at 433. I believe 2012 and earlier were 315 newer one 433, but I'll make certain before buying. SUPPOSEDLY, Newegg's sell ends tomorrow (April 30) and I would like to order them today. I plan on calling the dealer service department to get a straight answer. Newegg offers both frequencies. From what the cost was a few years ago and add the cost of the dealer's cost for the sensor, installation and relearning and this is quite a bargain. - Obviously, I'm yet to find out how well they work, but looks like a good system. Anyway, hopes this helps someone.

GreenGiant14
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV

Hello Everyone,

I just Purchased a 2019 Nissan Rogue a couple of weeks ago. Just bought some winter tires and rims.
Does anyone have any input on after-market TMPS Sensors for the rogue? Something affordable with a programmer.

Regards
Last edited by GreenGiant14 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

I might be in the minority, but I would not bother with TPMS for winter wheels.
I can check tire pressure with a gauge and it only takes a minute or two.
Why pay hundreds of $$ just to do something that I can do for free? I can ignore the warning light if I know I have checked the pressure manually and it's OK.

GreenGiant14

Will the rims without TPMS Sensors cause other problems? Like Traction control system for example.
Reason for the TPMS sensors for me is, winter tires are on the vehicle here for the same amount as the all season ones. sometimes longer.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

GreenGiant14 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:00 pm
Hello Everyone,

I just Purchased a 2019 Nissan Rogue a couple of weeks ago. Just bought some winter tires and rims.
Does anyone have any input on after-market TMPS Sensors for the rogue? Something affordable with a programmer.

Regards
MERGED

SEARCH = TPMS
Winter Tires -TPMS & Wheel Questions (2nd Gen)

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

I can't speak to Nissan's Traction Control but for my 2 Fords, the Traction Control is completely independent of the TPMS so it's a non-issue. Not sure about Nissan's electronics.

If I lived in an area with that big of a need for winter tires and wheels, then I would probably just go with Nokians on my OEM Nissan wheels and run them year round.

But circling back to your original question, try EBAY. I got some OEM Motorcraft TPMS for my Fusion several years ago from a seller on EBAY that were much cheaper than the tire store. I had them installed for about $25-30 for all 4 wheels. No programming was needed. Whatever you decide, just make sure they are NEW and not rebuilt, remanufactured, or used.

GreenGiant14

main reason for my concern. while I was driving back from winnipeg last week I lost a TPMS sensor in the back drivers side tire. Had no cruise control, no blind spot detection. about 7 or 8 lights on in the dash. had to turn around and go back to dealership. paperwork said they preformed ISS distance sensor calibration and laser/radar eprogramming. had to go back twice to get this fixed. If something happens again, i'm about 8 hour drive from winnipeg

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

Search tirerack.com and rockauto for TPMS I've purchased from both and prices were always reasonable. Shiiing to Canada isn't too bad either.

fenty
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue

We own a 2019 Rogue. I have installed winter tires without TPMS sensors. Would this cause the master warning light to stay illuminated or are there other issues?

Cheers
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

fenty wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:34 am
We own a 2019 Rogue. I have installed winter tires without TPMS sensors. Would this cause the master warning light to stay illuminated or are there other issues?

Cheers
--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

Welcome to NICO! Topic merged with existing thread.

We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum. Keyword = TPMS

Yes, your "master warning light" is on because of the missing TPMS sensors.

Return to “Rogue Forum”