Windows keep fogging up. ANY SOLUTIONS???

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
SpeedyV09
Car: 08 Versa SL Black

I have owned my car now for a year and every time the temperature inside the car is different from outside all the windows seem to fog up like crazy. Most people say to just recirculate the air which I do. But also to leave the Air conditioning on so it blows cold air - It's to damn cold outside to do that. I leave the (A/C) button on but still keeps fogging up every time I drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions/solutions/ideas why this keeps happening.

+ that rain X anti fog is more hassle then it's worth, streaking and hazing seems to almost be worse then the fogged up windows in a way.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

SuperTurbo

Try it on 1 piece of glasses first...

1. clean it well well, like sparkling shine2. once it gets dried up3. soak a piece of cloth with some very very very light soap solution4. wait for the cloth to get almost dried up5. use it to wipe the glasses

What I am tryin to do is to apply a thin layer of soap on, that seems to work to get rid of fog all the time.

SpeedyV09

I've tried that I know exactly what your talking about, problem is it is such a tempary fix.

I'm curious if its mechanical or if anybody figured out how to fix it or if it i hs just part of the Versa I will have to live with.?

(OFF SUBJECT)(Something a little scary I discovered is if I want to clean my windows inside or out 5 minutes after turning off my car the minute you spray cleaner on the glass it freezes instantly, even when it's in the garage!!.)

SpeedyV09

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

Don't receirc the air . . . use outside air; leave the A/C on but crank the heat up [the A/C removes humidity].

daan
Car: 08 S base

It seems the more snow and crap I track in, the more humid the inside of the car gets, and the more the windows fog up. I just try really hard to clean my shoes off before getting in, and flap all the extra crap off the floor mats often. I have the "all weather" ones, so that helps a little because those are easier to clean off than the carpet mats. Those seem to hold tons of water, compared to the rubber ones. And the regular rain-x seems to work better on the windows for fog than the actual Rain-x fog stuff does.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

Yes, as Frank said, don't put it on recirculate. You're bringing in moisture with you and then telling the car to keep it there when you have it on recirc.

KKaWing
Car: Versa SL Sport

To make sure moisture does not get trapped inside the vents, so when you start the car and turn on the fan it and fog up, you should let the fan system run at a cooler temperature (since hot air holds more moisture) for a few min. if possible before leaving your car.

In short cool down the car before you leave it.

Oh and yeah, NEVER recirculate air then it is cold out or when it is moist out, recipe for fogged up windows. Also, the A/C is kinda like a dehumidifier just turn it to hot air any the only difference is fuel consumption, and no nasty smelling air either.

One last note, don't leave the A/C off for too long, as in the whole winter. Having it run for a bit once it a while lubes the seals so you won't have to recharge it as much down the road.

SpeedyV09

Woops TYPO: I don't use the recerculate I meant to say I use the ine thatt brings the fresh air in. Thanks for catching that though.

That's a lot of great ideas

EXCEPT The last comment from KKawing, my car already is cold I live in MN so my car is already sitting at majority of the time 10°F - 25°F so wouldn't it already be cold? + when dealing with the inside temp should I just keep it right in the middle (like where the little white bar is at the top of the temp control?)

I pretty much understand it all now I just am trying to clarify. Thanks everyone if you have any more ideas let me know

One last thing why does it fog up so bad compared to other cars??

fjwagner
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S et al

... agreed. Recirculate off. AC On, heat turned to the desired temp.

SuperTurbo

If you have a garage, try to clean the ice around the garage door, and make sure it did a tight close!

Other than that, try to open the car door after you parked the car inside the garage.If you clean your glass properly, and with proper glass cleaner (Not dish soap) I can't think of a reason why your car fog up so badly....

Personally I own a van too, the worst is the center 2 windows, it always fog up during cold winter days. Usually I tell PPL which sit at the center use a clean paper towel to clean it, then it will be gone for a while.

Scuba Steve
Car: 2007 Nissa Versa 1.8SL Technology Pakage 6 Speed, Black

I leave the windows down a 1/4 inch overnite, humid air escapes thus NO frozen fogged up windows in the cold morning.

After I wash my car I open all the doors to flush out the humid trapped air in the car. When I get home in my cold garage I leave all the doors open all night, never had problems of fogging up, this took me a year to figure out, it really works!!!

KKaWing
Car: Versa SL Sport

What I meant by cooling down the car is kinda confusing now that I re-read it.

To clarify, after you've driven the car and it warms up with the heater, your car would be "hot" inside. There would be warm air in the vents. Warm air holds moisture, and the moisture gets trapped inside the vents. If you have the time, when you arrive at your destination, blow your vents with cooler air to cool them down so when you start the car later it wouldn't fog up the windshield. That and let some "steam" out the car if the window does not freeze shut like it does where I live.

Hope this makes more sense.

*Cool down car AFTER you have driven it*

SpeedyV09

Now I got it, that makes more sense thanks.

GOOD NEWSKKawing I know what you are talking about in the summer/spring the windows just fog up in the late fall/winter they actually freeze up.

Well thanks for the suggestions oddly enough today we had an extremely humid unusually warm VERY foggy day so I tested a few different things. 1. I cleaned all the windows pretty thoroughly with rain x or something like that. That seemed to work pretty well, + I kind of cleaned the all season mats they needed to be anyway, + I adjusted the temperature in the car = No Fog, now problem is I can't tell you which one was the key but all I know is that a lot of other cars were fogging up inside on the road today but not mine thanks

I'm curious though if it's something about the way the versa was built or the A/C unit or ?? that causes this compared to other cars??

SuperTurbo

depends on cars, and how you use the AC.....

I know some cars like Mazda, as long as you use blow air to glasses, it turn on the de-humidifier automatically (and you can't stop them like other cars)

Driving Instructor
Car: 2007 nissan versa SL CVT Red

Ok, stop making out in the car....... get a room! That will help.

AC on...... fresh air in and buy some window vents, that helps!

silverhairs
Car: Nissan Note N-Tec 1.5 diesel

SpeedyV09 wrote:I have owned my car now for a year and every time the temperature inside the car is different from outside all the windows seem to fog up like crazy. Most people say to just recirculate the air which I do. But also to leave the Air conditioning on so it blows cold air - It's to damn cold outside to do that. I leave the (A/C) button on but still keeps fogging up every time I drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions/solutions/ideas why this keeps happening.

+ that rain X anti fog is more hassle then it's worth, streaking and hazing seems to almost be worse then the fogged up windows in a way.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
When I've had trouble with any of my cars misting up, I get a fan heater (That runs off the mains) and turn that on full with the windows wound down about 0.5" and leave it running for about 3 hours. The car heats up inside and any moisture will be forced out through the small gaps in the door windows. It's always done it for me.

silverhairs
Car: Nissan Note N-Tec 1.5 diesel

After reading through my last reply, I should have said "put the fan heater in the car. I always drop the back seats down and take out the boot cover so it allows the air to circulate right around the interier of the car, it really dries the car out.
You feed the mains lead in through one of the gaps.

OTDave
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa SL with Stronic

I am new to this forum and I saw this posting about Versa windows fogging up. I just wanted to share my experience on how I fixed it.

I have been having fogging problem since the first day I got my Versa SL. I have been suspecting there is an issue with either the plastic moisture barrier in the doors or the flow through air vents at the back of the car for the longest time. I have checked the vents at the back when I added the backup sensors and they are fine. Just recently, I decided to upgrade the speakers and took all the door panels off to check for the moisture barriers. As expected, none of the barriers in all 4 doors were done properly. All the plastic barriers were detected at multiple locations leaving big gaps between the plastic and the door. I am not going to bore people with the details on why. It got something to do with the way the doors are designed and shaped. The bottom line, unless the factory wait until the caulking glue they used on the barrier is totally dried before they put the inside door panel on, the barrier will be detected at multiple locations. I replaced all the moisture barriers with generic dynamat type of materials and my fogging problem is gone since then.

So, check the moisture barrier in the doors.

Yoda88
Car: Nissan Versa Note 2015

OTDave wrote:I am new to this forum and I saw this posting about Versa windows fogging up. I just wanted to share my experience on how I fixed it.

I have been having fogging problem since the first day I got my Versa SL. I have been suspecting there is an issue with either the plastic moisture barrier in the doors or the flow through air vents at the back of the car for the longest time. I have checked the vents at the back when I added the backup sensors and they are fine. Just recently, I decided to upgrade the speakers and took all the door panels off to check for the moisture barriers. As expected, none of the barriers in all 4 doors were done properly. All the plastic barriers were detected at multiple locations leaving big gaps between the plastic and the door. I am not going to bore people with the details on why. It got something to do with the way the doors are designed and shaped. The bottom line, unless the factory wait until the caulking glue they used on the barrier is totally dried before they put the inside door panel on, the barrier will be detected at multiple locations. I replaced all the moisture barriers with generic dynamat type of materials and my fogging problem is gone since then.

So, check the moisture barrier in the doors.
So could this be covered by the bumper to bumper warranty?

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”