whining sound

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
seanbob
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue S FWD

My 2011 Rogue S has just started making a whining noise only during acceleration. Doesn't do it all the time but it only started this week, last Wednesday was the first time we heard it. My wife drives it 45 miles one way to work and it's all interstate. It's got 45,000 miles on it. She just got home and said it did it as she was passing on the highway on her way home. Didn't notice it this morning. I hope it's not what I think it is. I did buy the extended waranty. Anyone had this problem and know what it is?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

seanbob wrote:My 2011 Rogue S has just started making a whining noise only during acceleration. Doesn't do it all the time but it only started this week, last Wednesday was the first time we heard it. My wife drives it 45 miles one way to work and it's all interstate. It's got 45,000 miles on it. She just got home and said it did it as she was passing on the highway on her way home. Didn't notice it this morning. I hope it's not what I think it is. I did buy the extended waranty. Anyone had this problem and know what it is?
welcome to the forum.

its tough to tell what whine it is. if you could explain better when it happens- i will tell you if its normal for the CVT.
you hit the mileage when a whine that as always there gets louder... it happens upon deceleration around 35mph. as the gear ratio changes, one side of the pulley system begins to spin faster as the car slows down.

seanbob
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue S FWD

Its a new sound. I'm very atuned to the noises my car makes. It only does it during acceleration, not decceleration. High pitched whine. Even my wife noticed it and she doesn't notice car noise. As this has been a quiete car since we bought it a year ago new it disturbs me. I have heard about tranny failure around 60,000 on these cars and ours has 45,000 I can't help but think that it may be on its way. I will take it to the dealer next week for scheduled oil change and hopefuly they will hear it.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

seanbob wrote:Its a new sound. I'm very atuned to the noises my car makes. It only does it during acceleration, not decceleration. High pitched whine. Even my wife noticed it and she doesn't notice car noise. As this has been a quiete car since we bought it a year ago new it disturbs me. I have heard about tranny failure around 60,000 on these cars and ours has 45,000 I can't help but think that it may be on its way. I will take it to the dealer next week for scheduled oil change and hopefuly they will hear it.
there is nothing that i have EVER read/heard that rogues have tranny failures around 60,000miles. they have tranny failures at all different mileages- just like tons of other cars. the only reason rogues got that tranny failure 'notoriety' is because they use an unusual transmission.

anyway, as i have stated before, around 30,000 is when a whine that was always there - GETS LOUDER upon decel. its not something to be too concerned about if its not giving you performance problems. if yours is giving you problems upon acceleration, bring it in - see what they say. its tough to diagnose via the internet. Also, acceleration whine could also be the alternator heard through the radio speakers or a radar detector. (just make sure thats not what your hearing)

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Of course not, that is ridiculous. Do you honestly think Nissan would sell more than a handfull of vehicles and be able to stay in business if they designed their transmissions to fail at 60,000 miles? With all the competition out there and the many tight competitors in every class of vehicle, this would surely spell the end of Nissan. Thankfully our CVT transmission are deisigned to last the life of the vehicle, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect 300,000 miles with proper maintenance with a non-abusive driving style.

ImStricken hits the nail on the head, the reason why some people like to say things like "the CVT is unreliable because I know someone who had trouble with theirs", is because the CVT is unusual. But the fact is conventional transmissions have troubles just as frequently or even more so than the Nissan CVT, but people would not likely say "don't buy a conventional transmission, I know someone who had trouble with one once therefore they're all crap and you shouldn't buy one". Of course not, that would be ridiculous.

Buying a new vehicle is a daunting task because of all the competitors that didn't exist even 15 years ago, but the upside is all that competition makes auto makers provide very high quality to compete for your business, Nissan included. Nissan has committed to the CVT so much so that all of their vehicles use it rather than conventional trannies with the exception of the pickup trucks. And BIG news, the redesigned Pathfinder will be going on sale in a few months, and it will be offerred exclusively with the CVT trans. That speaks volumes for Nissan's committment to this transmission.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kerrton wrote:And BIG news, the redesigned Pathfinder will be going on sale in a few months, and it will be offerred exclusively with the CVT trans. That speaks volumes for Nissan's committment to this transmission.
http://www.motorauthority.com/pictures/ ... #100376711

kerrton

Yeah I'm liking the redesigned Pat, but I'm a little worried about the lack of new innovative engine like most competitoors i.e. small displacement turbo with direct injection providing lots of power and superior efficiency. Only time will tell if these new powertrains will be loved over the long term and prove to be reliable and troubl-free, but in the short term they seem to be the way to go and I wonder how the Pathfinder will compete with the likes of the Explorer 2.0 turbo, upcoming Santa Fe with 2.0 turbo, and whatever Toyota and Honda come up with next year for the redesigned Hylander and Pilot. I think Nissan is going for reliability, low maintenance and durability by sticking with the 3.5 V6 as the only engine choice, rather than taking a chance on a complex small turbo GDI.

Either way, Nissan will likely stand alone with the CVT tranny which can be good to stand out in the crowd, or it can be go the opposite way, we'll see how it goes.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kerrton wrote:I'm a little worried about the lack of new innovative engine like most competitoors i.e. small displacement turbo with direct injection providing lots of power and superior efficiency.

I wonder how the Pathfinder will compete with the likes of the Explorer 2.0 turbo, upcoming Santa Fe with 2.0 turbo
im contemplating whether to answer you on here, or start a new thread regarding TURBO ENGINES.

i think i will start a new thread for everyone else to see, read, and interpret own their own- as a good 'devils advocate article'.
Thanks for the idea Kerrton ;)

TaiLuu
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

seanbob wrote:Its a new sound. I'm very atuned to the noises my car makes. It only does it during acceleration, not decceleration. High pitched whine. Even my wife noticed it and she doesn't notice car noise. As this has been a quiete car since we bought it a year ago new it disturbs me. I have heard about tranny failure around 60,000 on these cars and ours has 45,000 I can't help but think that it may be on its way. I will take it to the dealer next week for scheduled oil change and hopefuly they will hear it.
A/C on or off?
When It happens look at the RPM gauge, Is it louder when engine speed is higher?
Try punching it into Neutral and see if it makes that noise.

Rustywer
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S

This is an interesting subject line. I am a New Memeber to the NICOCLUB. I purchased a 2008 Rogue and was quite happy with it, because my Wife Loved it and it gav us everything we wanted in a small SUV/XUV. About 2 years ago, our Rogue started making the whining sound talked about here, I spoke with a local dealer and inquired about it, and he said, "bring it in and we will replace the transmission". I was like "WOW" without even a diagnostic he wants to replace my tranny. Being in the buisness, with Dealer, Franchise Chain, and Independent Service Management Experience I was like "RED FLAG HERE"

So, in it goes, and a week later I get the vehicle back, with a fresh transmission, the rental covered, and an extended warranty on the transmission. I was like, OK, they must have a soft recall or something on this problem. It's been 18+ months since the trans replacement and intermittently wev'e been getting a whine on acceleration just like it's been described in this post, since we had the transmission replaced. All of my inquiries to dealerships here in San Diego have been answered by "They all whine, it's the transmission".

So this weekend we go on a trip driving to Vegas (350 miles) and the whine is there, but the vehicle is driving fine. Then about 30 miles outside of Vegas, I loose all accelerator control above 3000 rpm, the transmission won't shift in manual mode, and it really lacks power uphill. I limped into the rest area, checked the fluids, (they are okay), and let it rest for about 1/2 hour. I managed to get it back on the road and it ran okay for about the first 5 miles, then it starts doing the same thing again. We make it to Primm, and stay for the night. I call the dealer on saturday morning and now the story is "They all slip when they get hot, it the transmission." Again, no surprise to the Service Guy! Funny thing is, there was no Check Engine Malfunction, No VDC Warning, No Nothing! And to top it all off, the damn thing stopped whining after the malfunction and an overnight rest.

We tested it around Vegas for the next day, and then started home the following day. Sure enough, no whine to start, it started whining about 180 miles into the trip, after coming down a 20 mile downgrade in neutral the whine went away, but luckily no slipping or lock up in what I think was a Failsafe mode for the trans. So I'll be off to the dealer agan tuesday. These trannies have inherrant problems and Nissan will replace them with very littlein the way of complaint or problems.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

you might need to lower the fluid level to prevent the 'Limp Mode' that it hits where it wont go above 3000rpm. i heard that helps.

i also get the whine, but i deal with it.
This weekend i towed a trailer in total 1500lbs worth of stuff through 89degree weather at a steady 75mph about 120miles there and not a single issue - nor any issues towing the same on the way back home.

I would talk to your dealer about possibly checking the fluid level and making sure its not at FULL, and just below that in the middle - right above LOW. fluids expand slightly when hot - and will thin out a bit, that will cause the fluid level to rise - and possibly rise to much.

TaiLuu
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I've had this noise before, but not recently.
Sounds like a car with hydropower steering turning, but the Rogue doesn't have a Hydro PS set up.

Try locking up the AWD and see if the whining sound appears. Could be the Rear diff.
Or see if the Radiator fan makes the sound.

Orphanedcowboy
Car: Nissan Rogue SL

Mine has done it for the last 45,000 miles at 45-55 mph when there is light throttle load, under acceleration or deceleration it doesn't do it. Just under light throttle or steady throttle. I can make it repeat it at any giving time, but only after the vehicle has fully warmed up.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

the more i think and read about it, the more i think the pump in the earlier CVT's is the culprit for the whine. mine is going it now not only during deceleration, but now acceleration as well.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

PERFECT VIDEO TO HEAR THE WHINE.
(the sound kicks in at 49seconds)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVOhFXbLAos[/youtube]

kerrton

So the only question is if the whining is an early indicatjor of a future problem, i.e. system not operating within spec. tolerances. I think it's pretty clear that the whine is not an indication of an immediate problem, many of us have driven tens of thousands of miles with the whine and the CVT has performed perfectly and shown no degradation. Only more time will tell I suppose, I'm glad we early Rogue owners have the 10-year warranty, if my noise increases and gets worse I'll probably mention it to the dealer at some point.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kerrton wrote:So the only question is if the whining is an early indicatjor of a future problem, i.e. system not operating within spec. tolerances. I think it's pretty clear that the whine is not an indication of an immediate problem, many of us have driven tens of thousands of miles with the whine and the CVT has performed perfectly and shown no degradation. Only more time will tell I suppose, I'm glad we early Rogue owners have the 10-year warranty, if my noise increases and gets worse I'll probably mention it to the dealer at some point.
well im not sure its a direct sign of a problem or something not functioning within spec. i do know that sometimes things being spun will whine. spin it faster and the whine gets louder. sometimes things wine when a load is placed. (think supercharger)

since this happens once fluids reach hot temps - i think its a whine thats related to the fluid, hence why i put the pump into the mix.
im not stressing it for now. if something fails - ill know lol

PS: HERE IS THAT SUPER-CHARGER WHINE (very similar in my book)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co6vBck33p4[/youtube]

kerrton

Yeah my guess is everything is functioning as designed, I get really awesome fuel economy and responsive performance even when it's really hot and making a bit more noise. Also my CVT fluid on visual inspection is crystal clear, which isn't a complete analysis by any means but I think it's a good sign that the fluid hasn't turned dark with wear material in it. With the extended 10 year, 120,000 mile warranty I'll drive it hard in hot weather and see what happens, if it fails or the noise gets worse Nissan can pay for a new tranny!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kerrton wrote:Yeah my guess is everything is functioning as designed, I get really awesome fuel economy and responsive performance even when it's really hot and making a bit more noise. Also my CVT fluid on visual inspection is crystal clear, which isn't a complete analysis by any means but I think it's a good sign that the fluid hasn't turned dark with wear material in it. With the extended 10 year, 120,000 mile warranty I'll drive it hard in hot weather and see what happens, if it fails or the noise gets worse Nissan can pay for a new tranny!
well said! thats exactly my motto. even after towing 1400lbs in 90degree weather at 80mph for two, 2hour trips the car worked fine.

fjuarez
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Hi I'm new to the forum, I have a 2008 Nissan Rogue SL with about 62,000 miles on it. For the past 6-8 months I've had the same sound coming from my engine. It's comparable to the winding sound of a remote control car. I heard it mainly on the expressway when accelerating at roughly 60mph or higher. I never thought too much of it as my car was still performing properly. Yesterday it began making the same me noise at lower speeds say around 30-40 mph. This morning I start my car and the whining sound begins... :wtf2: to make matters worse as I'm driving down a main street my car jerks when going over 3000 rpm. If felt like I was drivng a standard transmission car and still getting adjusted to shifting gears. No a tough jerk but a noticable one. Needless to say I will be taking my car to the dealership As soon as I get out of work.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

gotta be honest, "i dun-did some figurin" (like my redneck country accent there? lol)

A bad wear pattern on the gears will result in gear noise (high pitched howl) either during acceleration, float, or coasting.

something to think about, and keep in mind. yes the CVT will whine/howl) - but when is it normal? and when is it not? pretty much just gotta ride it out and see where it takes you. i just wanted to add this idea to the list of "maybe's" :)

mikelostarticki
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL (FWD)

Rogue SL FWD with almost 75k mi.s

Here's a video of the sound this vehicle's CVT makes.
It makes the noise around 2-3k RPM and usually when going about 50 mph, or faster...
It's irregular, random and crazy annoying!! :poke:

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

mikelostarticki wrote:Rogue SL FWD with almost 75k mi.s

Here's a video of the sound this vehicle's CVT makes.
It makes the noise around 2-3k RPM and usually when going about 50 mph, or faster...
It's irregular, random and crazy annoying!! :poke:

:gotme Link not valid.

TaiLuu
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I've finally noticed this noise. I've experienced it about 2 weeks ago coming home from work. The noise never happened again after, but it was strange my motor sounded like it was buckled. Lol
It only happened when I accelerated with the engine speed getting faster. It whined louder with high engine speed.

Return to “Rogue Forum”