Where to buy SR20DET Engines

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
garagelu
Car: 1995 240sx w/ sr

since you are in cali try jrautoparts. http://www.jrautoparts.com/ is the website. Not familiar with cali so i dont know how close you are but im sure its within driving distance. They really took care of me and the owner knows what he is doin. Prices are great too.

tonis56
Car: 04 Titan Crewcab

I ordered my s13 blacktop from Marco at SR20store.com. This man knows what he is doing. He only sends high quality motors. If there is a problem he will helkp you fix it. When I got the swap I had problems keeping it running. I did some diagnostics and it came down to the computer. I sent him my computer and in less than a week he had a new one back to me. I would definitely give the people at sr20store.com a 5. I would recommend them to anyone. You will pay a higher price, but it is not going to be as big as a gamble as some of the others might.

tony-

thorjas
Car: '89 240sx

I just picked up a s13 blacktop front-clip from UP Garage in Tacoma, WA the other day. They started it up and ran it for us before we bought it and also let us do a compression and leakdown. Super clean motor, ran great and had good numbers. Just pulled it from the clip the other day and now I just have to pull the KA and get her in. Doug (the owner) was extremely helpful and I have to give customer service and the engine both 5's, I cant comment on shipping as I picked it up.

schanne
Car: 93 Hatch-Sr20

I got mine from JDM Addiction from ocala, fl.Hard to get a hold of them, motor bearings were shot!!!Had to rebuild, they replaced the bearings so customer was ok-3 I sayBut i wouldn't buy from them again....

crzykrackr
Car: 1991 240sx

JAPANMOTORIMPORT.COM - Experience = 0

They sent me a motor with cracked rings and a turbo with bad seals. I tried emailing them and calling them, I NEVER GOT ONE RESPONSE. This was a $2300 waste of time and money for me, and if I'm ever in Canada, I will burn their shop to the ground. But not before I take another motor or 5 to make up for mine.

ddgsxr504
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE 2007 Infinit M35 Sport 2011 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition

I am coming up on some green in about 2 months ($18,500) to be more precise.

I plan on going with phase 2 since they are only about an hour away from me and everyone says they are the sh*t.

My only question is... I searched their website and where does it say anything about them selling SR20 engines. I am looking at getting an S14 notch back but I can't find anywhere to read about it on their website.

Thanks...

-Jason

blackmagic
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx se w/ rb26dett

I wanna help the next person out by telling them never ever buy anything from japanmotorimports.com they are the worst dealer with the worst customer servise i would give them a 0 on customer service 0 on the condition of the motor and a big fat 0 for customer servise. i bought the redtop sr complete engine swap with ecu and uncut wiring harness and ignitor chip well i got the ecu and if you shake it slitly somthing inside sounds like plastic rattles im not to worried about that but then there are the 3 plugs missing off the wiring harness the maf sensor plug, the wastegate valve control solenoid, and there is a plug on the engine itself i forgot what it was was broken ontop of all this i asked for the redtop and i wanted the redtop instead they sent me the redtop valve cover without writing and it is sanded down to a silver finish doesnt bother me much but when i told them about this they said they would send me the valve cover if i pay shipping but they dont have an extra wiring harness to send me. well i said ok send me the wiring harness uncut when you get it and extend the warranty. Its been 3 days sence i sent that and they havnt replied i dont want to be screw out of an engine if it doesnt run to and i dont have a warranty because they are so dumb and dont check the wiring before they ship it out.

TKOcrewSR
Car: 1990 nissan 240sx

I got my swap from Import Intelligence.com. Matt waldin is a good guy i had my swap done through him (wasnt to fimiliar with the wirnig i was a mitsu head b4) i was back ordered on an intercooler for three weeks which wasn't his fault but wen it came three days swap done and clean as can be. Price wasn't to bad little pricey but i had it for a year and a half and i'm not gonna lie i bought and built my car to beat the living s*** out of and it takes it very well. one of the cleanest swaps i have seen(not jus cuz its my car). I give him a 5.

New2SR20
Car: 89 240SX

i got mine from Jazz/Osaka...I would rate them a 5. The engine looked really nice and clean, had a broken CAS but that was a shipping fault. they even sent me a brand new SR20DET wiring harness for no reason..paid 1895 shipped...

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

I just cleaned this thread up by getting rid of some of the posts that didn't actually give personal experience and ratings with companies. Let's try to keep to the rules of the thread and only post up a rating score if you have personally bought from a company.

I don't mind a callout for someone looking to shop around, but don't post "i heard that so-and-so is good to buy from".

Also, this thread is not stickied, because it is in the FAQ page (to answer a post I deleted).

noynismo
Car: Horse

does anyone know a shop in newyork city that installs sr20 engines? thanks in advance.

legacy927
Car: Nissan 240sx

noynismo wrote:does anyone know a shop in newyork city that installs sr20 engines? thanks in advance.
Wings Performance in Queens or Initial D in Brooklyn.....

bgsr240
Car: 90 240sx hatch sr20det redtop gt28rs-sold 89 240sx hatch S14 sr20det blacktop

+1 for Ricky's Auto Center in Miami

-10000000 for Osaka Motors and Ebay seller "jdmplanet".

david200095367
Car: 91 fastback 93 coupe w/s14 sr20det 98 s14 kouki

Whats wrong with your motor? what model?

I purchased a s13 early blacktop for 1800 shipped from Osaka (ebay id jdmplanet). The first ecu was fried but he sent me a replacement ecu tuned by Mines. Runs super strong. +5 for motor and service!!!

Just ordered a s14 swap for 2000 shipped from Osaka. Den zio gave me a discount for it being my 2nd motor. Comes 11/9/07 so will see from there how it goes.

positron1
Car: Project: 1993 Nissan 240SX Coupe SR
Daily: 2010 Honda Civic Coupe

So you've had all good experiences with Osaka, would you recommend them?

jebova2301
Car: P.O.S. Ford Expedition, and a BADASS 2003 R6

thnk you for doing this. i am wanting to build a 240 and this is a big help. thanx

david200095367

So far they have been nothing but great to me. I heard so many horrible stories but with me its been otherwise. If my 2nd motor turns out good then i will buy from them all the time. They are one of the cheapest out there.

My 1st motor was missing ignitor and maf and smic but he told me all of that before i ordered. I used a q45 ignitor and a ka24e maf. so that wasnt a prob at all.

So I maybe they have gotten better? not sure...

david200095367

ok i got the s14 sr motor running. Damn motor runs strong. So that 2 of 2 from Osaka. A lot of guys complain but some how i got 2 good motors.

stopsnitchin
Car: 93 nissan 240sx

I got mine from Heavy Throttle.I had it installed at a shop and while doing that they found my fuel rail was clogged with some bull**** (sand?) and i had a bad turbo. they got in touch with jeff and replacement items were sent.

I give them 4 out of 5 on motor

and 5 of 5 on customer service

prizzom
Car: 95 240sx and FJ cruiser

Im ordering my Engine from Heavy Throttle. I ordered 10/18/07 and its december 6 and still no engine or compression test. i dont know wtf is going on. hopefully jeff gets it straightened out.

Neil
Car: shooting laser guns

I must be the lucky one.. I bought my blacktop from Japanmotorimport ~2 years ago. it's been a very healthy motor. I beat the piss out of it for a year straight and started hearing light rod knock (40k miles my butt), but i had a clutch and turbo to install so i pulled it and rebuilt the bottom end also. Luckily the motor has obviously had synthetic all its life. no amber staining, spot-on compression, no smoking and good gas mileage

As for JMI's customer service, i can't say since I never had to call them after i got the motor. I can kinda see though that if youre business is scraping by via pulling/storing/ and shipping used, dirty, heavy engines to kids in another country, you wouldnt want to see a sold one come back either. unfortunately thats just how some places work. Caveat Emptor. Same goes for Heavy Throttle or Phase2, they just have the leverage as another business to reject motors that end up being bad.

if I ever buy another motor, it's definitely going to be in the form of a half cut from Jarco. there's way too much valuable crap you didnt realize you could use that more than makes up for the cost. Plus they run each motor in the clip before selling it, and provide a video and compression test numbers.

bgsr240
Car: 90 240sx hatch sr20det redtop gt28rs-sold 89 240sx hatch S14 sr20det blacktop

david200095367 wrote:Whats wrong with your motor? what model?
I ordered a S14 Zenki sr20det. When the motor showed up it looked like they just threw it on the pallet. The starter was hanging by a wire. The engine was covered top to bottom in battery acid (luckily with lots of scrubbing and Muratic Acid I finally got all the aluminum clean), locked up alternator, broken CAS, spark plug cover missing, etc. The first tranny he sent was blown (literaly missing teeth on gears, bent shafts, etc.) second tranny's bell housing was cracked. Sent the wrong ecu. NO WIRING HARNESS OR IGNITOR.

The worst part of all is that when I complained he made it seem like I was in the wrong and that I should be lucky to have gotten as much as I did. He finally sent a crapped out remanufactured ECU and a HACKED up wiring harness. After I complained some more he said to send everything back, which would of cost a ton of money. Basically, more argueing which ended in him threatening to send some of his friends down from STL to take everything back, I told him to send them on down . They never showed and I've never heard from him since LOL.

So yeah as you can guess I am pretty pissed. I've had to buy or replace close to $700 worth of stuff that should of came with the motor in the first place.

I just wish that I could meet whoever that @sshole is face to face.

positron1
Car: Project: 1993 Nissan 240SX Coupe SR
Daily: 2010 Honda Civic Coupe

Are you talking about Osaka?

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

Jarco is the way to go. Those guys' motors are top notch. They are expensive, but in their case it is definitely worth it.

kanecain
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX Fastback, 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder

bgsr240 wrote:
I ordered a S14 Zenki sr20det. When the motor showed up it looked like they just threw it on the pallet. The starter was hanging by a wire. The engine was covered top to bottom in battery acid (luckily with lots of scrubbing and Muratic Acid I finally got all the aluminum clean), locked up alternator, broken CAS, spark plug cover missing, etc. The first tranny he sent was blown (literaly missing teeth on gears, bent shafts, etc.) second tranny's bell housing was cracked. Sent the wrong ecu. NO WIRING HARNESS OR IGNITOR.

The worst part of all is that when I complained he made it seem like I was in the wrong and that I should be lucky to have gotten as much as I did. He finally sent a crapped out remanufactured ECU and a HACKED up wiring harness. After I complained some more he said to send everything back, which would of cost a ton of money. Basically, more argueing which ended in him threatening to send some of his friends down from STL to take everything back, I told him to send them on down . They never showed and I've never heard from him since LOL.

So yeah as you can guess I am pretty pissed. I've had to buy or replace close to $700 worth of stuff that should of came with the motor in the first place.

I just wish that I could meet whoever that @sshole is face to face.
Oh, nevermind, you've purchased from Osaka. I have a friend who had a similar situation. But they replaced all of his parts. Like I said, you are either hit or miss with them.

david200095367

kanecain wrote:Oh, nevermind, you've purchased from Osaka. I have a friend who had a similar situation. But they replaced all of his parts. Like I said, you are either hit or miss with them.
thats weird because i got 2 good motors. the s14 harness was missing but he wanted to refund me $300 but i said give me a gtir t28 instead and thats what he did. Honestly they have been really good to me. And when im ready to order my rb25 im going with them again.

beobe99
Car: 99 Impreza RS GC8 with 2002 WRX enigine Swap!

http://www.eliteJDM.com is in Philadelphia. A very solid source for anything JDM..

Very large warehouse.. there webites in the very begining stages but they are selling stuff quickly!

nissans13240sx
Car: 90 R32 GTR
91 Hatch SR20
93 Coupe KA-T
04 STI

I have owned a few SRs over the years and neither of my expieriences were great.

First motor I purchased was from LS Automotive. I purchased a clip. I paid 2800 total. When it came it was just a motor and trans on a pallet. Not a clip(so i basically paid a premium for a ****ty SR). I was missing intercooler piping. I called and told them my problem. They said they would send me my piping right away. A few weeks later I finally recieved. Also was told the compression was good. well my brand new gauge must have been broken cause they were 130-150psi.

Second motor I bought was from Japan Star Motors in Albany. They had much better customer service. This time I only purchased a motor set. Once again I did not recieve intercooler piping. I called them they apoligized and they told me they would refund me 200 dollars, which they did. This motor ran perfect compression was great no leaks of any sort. There is over 20k miles put on this motor now, and it is still running very strong.

In conclusion I would not recommend LS Auto for SR swaps. Japan Star Motors were very easy to work with, so I would recommend them.

Thoughtful_One
Car: 1998 Nissan 240SX SE
2000 Honda Insight

JDM Engine Depot in Kearny NJ

I bought my S14 SR20 from these jokes last month.

First, I'd like to say their customer service is HORRIBLE. Since I lived only a few hours away, I came in and saw the engine they were going to sell to me. It was pretty clean, and they said nothing about it except that it had great compression. Mechanically it looked fine, but once the shop took it to swap it into my car, they found the harness was cut, and the ECU connector was cracked in half, covered in bubble wrap to hide it. I spoke to JDM and they said they couldn't do anything about it.

Also, we had a verbal agreement for a price that included a FULL swap, and when I get there, they pretty much tell me a full swap for the price they were asking did not include the MAF (makes no sense). After argueing with them for a while, they instead gave me a Z32 MAF, but didn't even carry an S14 SR MAF, which I had to pay for later on to even get the car running. In the end, I had to purchase a new S14 SR harness, injectors, oil pan, S14 SR MAF, and a few other items for it to run right.

After adding up everything I spent on it, I realized I should've just gone with Heavy Throttle, or JHot.

Overall, the engine has been running fine with great leakdown test results, but ****I would stay away from these people at all costs.**** 2.5/5 stars.

goalguy02
Car: '92 240

I just got my Redtop from Osaka.

Missing Ignitor and MAF, has a MINES tuned ECU, which is useless without knowing what its tuned for.

Cut harness, broken coolant neck, broken crank pulley, broken p/s neck, A/C locked up, missing coil cover, leaking oil, bent throttle bracket, bent oil pan and a couple other things. Said they would send me replacements so we shall see.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”