Where to buy SR20DET Engines

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Nowhere
Car: Suzuki x-90, samurai

oneslow240se
Car: 91 240se

i just recieved mine from Jdmaddiction in FL ... its hard to get a hold of them but when you do they're pretty nice guys, answered alot of my questions...... as far as the motor it looks like its complete, wiring and fuse boxes with complete intercooler .... checked out the dipstick and oil seems to have sat for awhile since it looks tacky very thick ..... other then that motor looks fine ......

i give jdmaddiction customer service a 4, since they are really hard to get ahold of, but when you do they're pretty good

the engine itself could have been better prepped so 3-4, looks like he engine sat for quite sometime since the oil on the dipstick is very thick (tacky)
Modified by oneslow240se at 6:20 PM 2/10/2006

Neil
Car: shooting laser guns

japanmotorimport.com, gotta give my experience a 5... tho i never had to get 'customer support' after receiving the motor. They were very thorough and sent me a photo of my motorset. no problems, it's a quiet, peppy, happy motor!

all my business for parts for it tho i go to Jeff at 240sxmotoring.

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

My experience buying a motor and parts from HeavyThrottle: 5 stars

sr_powered
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx SE

i got mine from JDMSource.ca located in canada. they got nice customer service. this guy named Shoaib was the guy i talked to, and he knows whats up with the sr20det. i got a red top for 2100 shipped. the engine was nice, he even send pics of the motor before it was shipped out. the engine came complete with complete harness and ecu. everything is great, even the driving is great. got some water in the spark plug chambers due to pressure washing, but other than that, i gave them a 5+. MAF wasn't with the motor, but JDMSource send it right out when i called them back about it. they're awesome!

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Lets keep this to a single post per motor deal. If you need help editing something just post it and I'll edit the post if you can't do it.

All other questions should be addressed either in a new topic, or by contacting forum members.

driftjunkie209cali
Car: 240sx

venus-auto in sacramento ca. Ronald, is pretty cool guy, every parts that don't works, he just change it. that simple.

mackdaddy240
Car: High performance with a clean look.

Got mine redtop from http://www.ASAPMOTORS.com it was the cheapest deal I could fine. Engine, trans,turbo, ecu, ign chip, gauge cluster, pretty much everything you need and it had a tomei short shifter. Had 55,000 kilometers, if I remember right I figured it up to about 36,000 miles. ONLY $1,900. $100.00 shipping. ordered it on a monday and got it that thursday. 90 day warranty on engine/trans. Was great for about 4 months, but now my turbos going out.......not running stock psi though, besides that great company.

jdm_master_X
Car: 92 Nissan 180SX LHD!...LaWL

i do SR swaps for some folks in the bay area, and ive gone through many shops around the place.

VENUS AUTO PARTS in Sacramento, California --went there cuz Sports Compact Car said they were pretty cool. got an excellent lineup of JDM parts. however, the condition of some of the motors (even how they remove the motors), im not impressed with. they have seemed to half *** more of their work. plus the guys who work there are rude. and when they give you front clips they promise you everything on the clip, but then remove that **** right before you buy it. its bull**** to me.3 out of 5 cuz my motor ran decent and was low mileage (21K miles).

R-Crew/Late Night Tuning in Brisbane, California: excellent, excellent selection of motors and parts. very knowledgeable staff and well accomodated with the motors. came with everything on the clip (dash, gauges, extra JDM goodies). i purchased 3 front clips from them and got the 3rd one half off!! they also have other JDM motors for my other customers too! 5 out of 5 because all motors started up without troubleshooting issues and they even gave me a coke to sip on while they loaded the clips for me.

Engine World in Richmond, California: BIG FAT ZERO out of 5 for me because my customer bought one from there, led into believing the engine was in good condition. they showed him a working motor, but gave him a ****ed up one. we compared the serial numbers and filed a complaint, asking at least for a replacement, but they refused. rude ***holes and have no idea what the hell they were talking about. got the engine running using my SPARE SR parts (oil pan and pick up, harness, tranny, etc.). poor customer is still having problems with the SR to a point where its beyond me to repair them. doesnt want to sell his car but now hes stuck with a dead SR. dont go to engine world. i even got a 7M-GTE for a MKIII supra there, and that engine was also crap.

Jadesr20det
Car: 1990 NISSAN 240SX

I ALSO GOT MY SR REDTOP FROM http://WWW.ASAPMOTORS.COM CAME WITH WITH EVERYTHING 1895.00 + SHIPPING CUSTOMER SERVICE IS A 4 (YOU CAN BE ON HOLD A WHILE) BUT OVERALL EXPERIENCE WITH THEM WAS A 5 TALK TO JASON OR DIANA AS THEY ARE THE MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE AND THE NICEST.

GR8GAME
Car: 1990 240sx

how do i get a hold of R-Crew/Late Night Tuning in Brisbane, California??

I would like to purchase a front clip off of them.

sds14240sx
Car: 240sx

me too!!!

jdm_master_X
Car: 92 Nissan 180SX LHD!...LaWL

well for those of you interested in contacting R-Crew/Late Night Tuning, just shoot me an e-mail and ill give you the contacts there. they are personal numbers. thanks!

GR8GAME
Car: 1990 240sx

I sent u an e-mail and IM, still waiting to hear back.

afracer
Car: 92 240sx convertible, 72 Datsun, 69 Buick

Man some of you guys need some tips on buying motors/tranny's!

Never buy one without seeing it yourself first and picking it up yourself! If the seller is uncooperative BEFORE you buy it, as far as doing compression checks, jacking around with prices, etc, how do you think he's going to cooperate and work with you AFTER you buy it if you have problems with it?

There's plenty of places to get SR's from out there, if someone tries to jerk you around, pull chocks, tell him why you think he sucks, and go somewhere else. The cost of front clips/SR's is WAY too much in the US anyway to let these jerks get away with anything other than a PERFECT front clip/motor.

Do you guys realize how much of a rip off the SR really isin the States? For example, last year in Tokyo I bought a mint 1993 180SX with a little body damage and only 50,000 km on it for $1000, and another mint 1993 180SX with no body damage, 83,000km with a full suspension and Volk wheels for $1200. I'm not talking a front clip but the WHOLE car running and ready to rip. I realize there's costs involved with shipping, it's roughly $5000 to ship a full size container which you could easily shove at least 10 front clips inside of along with tons of other parts. Quick math: 10 front clips @ $2500 each = $25,000 minus shipping $5000 = $20,000/10 clips = $2000 for a front clip without shipping. That's about $1500 more than a front clip really costs in Japan. Absolutely insane. Somebody's making some damn good money.

I bought my front clip for $2300 from Superior Trading Int'l in my home town. I had to wait a month for it to arrive, just put down a $500 deposit and when the container arrived I got my pick. They were all compression tested and ran before buying and had a 90 day warrantee. I took the clip that was all stock, the other one had an S15 turbine, intake, coil overs, and pillow tension rods...but it was obviously beaten on. When I pulled the tranny apart I ended up getting a $600 Cusco lightweight flywheel as an added surprise!

Neil
Car: shooting laser guns

good for you but not all of us have the luxury of being able to have their pick of a container full of motorsets.

also stories about buying 180SX's in Tokyo for a thousand dollars don't offer help to anyone concerned with the subject matter of this thread.

afracer
Car: 92 240sx convertible, 72 Datsun, 69 Buick

I didn't get to pick from a "container full of motorsets" I had a choice between two, just like I said.

I think my "stories" are right on track for this thread to help put things into perspective cause I'm sick of seeing people get raped for JDM parts in the US. What's the matter w/that? Did I offend you or something?

As far as the Japanese engine importers go in the US, Superior Trading Int'l (Ebay seller) is a 5.

twofourzeroSX
Car: 91 sileighty

+1 for jeff at 240sxmotoring! my motorset was mint!

Wolfe
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

Just got my sr20det black top with trans from http://www.japanmotorimport.com today, its real clean and everything is there(ingitor, ecu, ect...) for the sawp. Customer service has been great so far, now I just have to go through it. cost with shipping was $2222

Wolfe

Just got my sr20det black top with trans from http://www.japanmotorimport.com today, its real clean and everything is there(ingitor, ecu, ect...) for the sawp. Customer service has been great so far, now I just have to go through it. cost with shipping was $2222the engine is a 97-98 (j4ecu)

Wolfe

Hind sight is 20/20.I thought that a 97-98 blacktop with all the goodies for 1900 plus shipping was a good deal.

Thanks though

belowme MI
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx SE

you ment a s13 black top right?

Wolfe

the ecu says j4 which means its from a 97-98 180sx according to the forum.

Badfish
Car: 93 240sx w/ black top sr20

I got my motor from Heavy Throttle in 2004. Id definetly rate the experience as a 5.

First of all Jeff and Doug were super helpful over the phone. Excellent customer service.

My s13 black top motorset came as promised uncut harness, ecu, shipped well. It was also one of the cleanest motors I have seen so far. No shaft play on the turbo and almost no road grime on the engine. Even after sitting for 8 months the motor started right up, first try. That was may 2005. It's been running great with no problems for 6000 miles now with just basic maintanance done. I really can't say enough good things about them.

http://www.heavythrottle.com

NismoJame
Car: S14

Hey What 's your phone # ? .Because i need one ASAP.how much for s14 SR if i pick up from U ?Are U in Michigan ? let me know ASAP.

Jame

belowme MI
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx SE

*Edited by Moderator Staff*

If you would like to become a sponsor of NICO, so that you can advertise here; please contact [email protected].

mmeedd26
Car: 1995 240sx

Mine from HeavyThrottle 5 of 5

Jeff is excellent service. great value.

Matt

captainfalco
Car: S14,MX83

I bought my s14 sr20 from osakajdmmotors.com. I'd give em a 2 cause the wiring harness was cut, the intake manifold runners were broken in like 20 pieces(also impossible to find anywhere), and the alternator was bad, and the customer service wasn't great either. I only paid 2250 shipped though. i guess you get what you pay for.

n_bushaw
Car: s14 Kouki Silvia , 04 Subaru WRX with hybrid swap

this is my clip from PASSWORDJDM A+++ with parts that u can sell and make money back, but keep the 30mm iron calipers !! factory on the Silvia ++

xander432
Car: 1998 white 240sxse just got my s14 sr and gt2871r

i just recieved my S14 from osaka, haven't got a chance to get a good look at the motor. so far i give them a 2.5, their e-mail responses were great but when it came time to order the motor their customer service just sucked. maybe if the engine is in decent condition i'll bring up their score.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”