Whats wrong with my speedometer

The web's first forum dedicated to the Nissan Juke and the Nissan Qazana.
Kittyr
Car: 2016 Nissan Juke

I drove my 2016 Nissan off the showroom floor 1 week ago and on my way home I get pulled over for speeding. I know I was doing 4 over the posted speed but the officer said I was doing 12 over the speed. I took my car in yesterday to have it checked out and my speedometer is off by 8 mph.

I go straight to the dealership and tell them my problem and show them my ticket and paperwork from mechanic and they tell me that the federal guidelines allow speedometers to be off by 10%. What? I don't care about federal guidelines. I want my speedometer fixed. I just bought a brand new car out right, I want it to operate out right.They refuse to fix it cause it's within the guidelines. I'm not even sure what to do next.

Any suggestions?

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Welcome to NICO! I hope you didn't get the ticket!

That sucks and you should really send a formal message over to Nissan USA customer service. I'm not sure about the federal guidelines thing, in fact, unless you've changed wheels and tires (probably haven't since its brand new), the new speedos are waaaaay more accurate than the ones of yesteryear.

You should also (politely) blow up their facebook page every day.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Did the car have any kind of non-factory wheel and tire package installed? That could certainly make up a good portion of that inaccuracy depending on how far from stock the tire size is.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

The dealership is wrong. Period. Tell them they can correct it now, or after you've filed a formal complaint with your State Attorneys General office. Here's the info on how accurate your speedo should be.
How accurate are speedometers?
Dan Edmunds, an automotive engineer and the director of vehicle testing at Edmunds.com, says that speedometers cannot have an error of more than 5 percent (typically expressed as plus/minus 2.5 percent relative to the actual speed) according to federal law.

"At 60 mph this means your speedometer should read no more than 1.5 mph higher or lower than your actual speed," Edmunds explains.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/05/ ... edometers/
In the U.S., manufacturers voluntarily follow the standard set by the Society of Automotive Engineers, J1226, which is pretty lax. To begin with, manufacturers are afforded the latitude to aim for within plus-or-minus two percent of absolute accuracy or to introduce bias to read high on a sliding scale of from minus-one to plus-three percent at low speeds to zero to plus-four percent above 55 mph. And those percentages are not of actual speed but rather a percentage of the total speed range indicated on the dial. So the four-percent allowable range on an 85-mph speedometer is 3.4 mph, and the acceptable range on a 150-mph speedometer is 6.0 mph.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/sp ... er-scandal

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

1-800-Nissan1 and file a complaint.

A brand new car being off that much is ludicrous. If they play hard ball, let us know and we can make this thread appear very high on google results.
What's the name of the Dealership?

Kittyr

Jim Click Nissan in Tucson AZ. Service managers name is Louis. What a .........

Kittyr

Jim Click Nissan in Tucson AZ. Service managers name is Louis. What a .........

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Post your updates to the story!
Like papasmurf said, we can make them famous if needed.

Return to “Juke Forum | Qazana Forum”