What to use to tune an SR20DET?

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
JO3JOES13
Car: 1994 NISSAN 240SX (S13)

well i just got my Apex power FC and the damn thing came with a user manual written in all Japanese. so if you got a link or send me a pdf of it translated in English that would be great!

Rikter

Hi Codyace,

I'm curious the procedure to rom tune a vehicle. I'll soon be going SR and then upgrading again later to a larger turbo, maf, injectors, etc.

What was the process to have your car tuned? dyno + laptop?

I'm more familiar with the honda settings (dno't worry I've seen the light and now rock a nissan). I'm familiar with programs like chrome, turboedit, etc.

wackawacka

codyace wrote:
You should stop giving advice.

Seriously.

Step away from the keyboard. Just ue the mouse to browse

SAFC's will forever be tuning tools of the....oh wait, they're not tuning tools.

Enthalpy or JWT for your ECU. Tell them your MAF and Injectors, they'll send you an ECU. You plug it in, everything kicks ***, and you can do big 2nd gear burnouts all day long right from day one.
Do you really need a tune to do do 2nd gear burnouts all day long... Honestly, I have smoked tires in third gear... stock computer. Skinny tires though, but not donuts.

Neil
Car: shooting laser guns

otterman wrote:Also, what's too rich? What's too lean?
to me too rich is when the exhaust smells fumy and the car doesn't drive right. I think that's usually somewhere in the 7-10:1 range. I'm not yet fluent but I suspect 15:1 is in the "red zone" of lean, unless you're a tuner elite.

As for my "enthalpy too rich" comment, Jeff at 240SXMotoring originally went with an enthalpy tune for his S13 drift car, and it would dump fuel and die as soon as it made any boost... but it was KA-T, which isnt as 'run of the mill' (he sent it back a couple times but the revisions were never quite right). I was there when he tried to test it at lime rock so i guess it made an impact. To be honest, I think I've only heard one other "too rich" comment but I couldn't tell you from where... so there's no telling if the person was just a tool, or what.

In any case i've found there's more positive things than negative to read about a rom tune.

TurboTagTeam
Car: S14 240SX

I think the enthalpy and JWT ROM tunes are awesome. You know for a fact that your getting a tune from a tested and proven source. It's great for someone who is not full of money and needs a car to perform well in a daily driving/weekend track slut situation.

I run Power Excel. Why? Because the set-up in my car is bound to change drasticly over time. And I like being able to retune the car myself on the fly

DrifterProdigy85
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx (Zenki Onevia)

People have problems with rom tunes because there not specific enough. Fuel Pressure is the biggest part of people running rich. Scott of Enthalpy used to make his tunes run on 50 or 55psi fuel pressure because thats what stock FPR runs with Walbro Pump. If one has there FP at 43psi and the tunes for 50-55psi, you will be running in the 10.0 AFR range for sure. And the leaning problem people end up with is from not hardwiring there fuel pump. At high rpm the pump looses voltage which makes for lean conditions. With the voltage drop youll go from 11.5 and slowly lean out to 12.2-12.5 by redline pending on boost. This would be your lean issue which can easily blow a motor if running hard. What Enthalpy and JWT need is a list of -Injector Size -Fuel Pressure -Cams-Intake Manifold -MAF -Rev Limiter-Octane Gas

inkslingers13
Car: 1985 Corolla Gt-S

well were on the subject of tuning, can you get a descent tune on a afc neo? whats the max power before there just to $hitty? noob question i know. but ive heard alot of different things about them

Neil
Car: shooting laser guns

AFC's in my opinion are really marketed as an easy way to make money off of ricers as a tool to "get the most" out of their cold air intakes and cat-back free flow performance exhaust systems. It is possible to use one to compensate for a different air mass meter, but I wouldn't ever consider one to modify fuel or timing maps, if they can even do it.. As is the deal with most piggy-back anythings, response time and processing accuracy are the concern.

FWIW I ditched my e-manage and ordered a tune from E-Mance. It runs like a champ. I think it was $135 for just the tuned daughterboard.. the install is not that difficult but moving the flea-sized capacitor on the backside of the mainboard can be tricky

BEST1TUNING.COM

drifterprodigy...were you on the dyno with me? hows the car?

kentuckyslider
Car: 02 IS300 manual/03 G35 sedan auto

BEST1, I am switching from a GT2871R to a holset HX35 top mount setup on my SR and I would like some suggestion on tuning. I currently have a JWT rom tune/cobra MAF with a SAFCII piggy backed. JWT says my tune with 72lbs. injectors maxes out at 450-475whp. What can I do to get the most out of my 72lbs injectors and still be safe. I keep my FPR at 43.5psi base pressure and I am wondering how safe it is to push the rom tune. If I change to 96lbs injectors would you go stand alone(which one), or would you get the JWT lightening MAF and reflash which is said to be good for 650whp?

Abu92222
Car: 300zx NA( sold ).....240sx sr20det

a lil off topic but when you dynoed ...how many psi's were u pushing

idahotuner
Car: 2012 ram 2500 6.7 cummins, 93 Sileighty and 93 civic hatch, polaris ranger 2011

i am bouncing back and forth between PFC and aem. does anyone know if AEM software can be used on a mac? i will probably go aem. cause then you cna use anythign and do anything

Koshin
Car: JP'd out Y32 Gloria GTU, 750 hp '87 Grand National, '63 Impala SS 327/4 speed

when I had the AEM on my old DSM, it was not MAC compatible...IT may be different now, havent had the AEM for a couple years

Rich

idahotuner
Car: 2012 ram 2500 6.7 cummins, 93 Sileighty and 93 civic hatch, polaris ranger 2011

guess that means picking up a cheap laptop to do my tuning

dc1984
Car: 93 240sx/98 180sx blacktop sr20det :RIP/ 93 jeep grand cherokee

although ive never used it, i dont think there is probly anyuthing out there any better then the aem ems. but that biotch is expensive.

i think the nistune is a verry could candidate for the price. around 5-6 hundred bucks, standalone ecu tuning.

B00STFED

wow power FC over AEM... thats pretty cool..

idahotuner

B00STFED wrote:wow power FC over AEM... thats pretty cool..
Mods check on this person please.

dhessian
Car: 240sx

POWER FC!!!!

Drift_S13s
Car: 1990 240sx

NISTUNE!!!!!!

roplusbee
Car: 2007 350Z NISMO

I like the PFC myself, but I will not try to tune it. That is why I went with Zerolift.

rc1honda
Car: 1992 240 sx
2007 BMW 335xi
2008 Honda CBR1000RR

I run a power Fc and i can tell that's it's good but it's not what i expected from a standalone.

The FC is a dated software. And some aspects are a PITA to deal with.Getting your car to idle right can be hard. With the AEM you just set the idle and it does it. The commander is cool but it's hard to tune with and you will need the Dataloggit for faster tune times at the dyno.

I have heard things about the AEM that it has problems reading the CAS of a lot of Nissan engines.

I would looka ta getting a Haltech E8 or E11. I have read alot of good things from these standalones from tuners. They have really through tuning ablities and come with all the software. But i think you will need to modify your harness, or make a new one.

OM3GA
Car: A Sexy Mobile, 1993 Nissan 240sx 180sx Hatcher

Go with Power FC Or AEM EMS

Get rid of that HG and get a Tomei if you can afford that otherwise go with a cosworth. Any will work really, Apex, Greddy, HKS just dont use cometic lol However they do work... Sometimes

Corey B
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx

You can now buy a plug and play version of the Haltech E8

http://www.phase2motortrend.com/hae8emss1srp.html

chanklas
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx Copue Se

I am currently attending an automotive school, where i do nothing but performance and we have a tuning phase and from what i have learned and know i greatly reccomand AEM EMS you can do so much. You can gain a s*** load of horsepower and torque if you know a good tuner. With greddy e-manage you have to do alot of wiring and its only piggy back your just messing with fuel and ignition. With aem you can do so much more go to the aem website and do some research.

Benne
Car: 2001 S15 Spec-R

grmreapr wrote:http://home.aanet.com.au/nistune/i use it on my sr for 6 months now it it kicks *** never once had a problem freaking australians know their sh*t
Thats it! NISTUNE is the way to go!

http://www.nistune.com/ !

dc1984
Car: 93 240sx/98 180sx blacktop sr20det :RIP/ 93 jeep grand cherokee

chanklas wrote:I am currently attending an automotive school, where i do nothing but performance and we have a tuning phase and from what i have learned and know i greatly reccomand AEM EMS you can do so much. You can gain a s*** load of horsepower and torque if you know a good tuner. With greddy e-manage you have to do alot of wiring and its only piggy back your just messing with fuel and ignition. With aem you can do so much more go to the aem website and do some research.
hope its not wyotech or uti. i worked at a mobil diesel technician company for a year or so, started ther completly entry level at 10 bucks an hour, thing is we had like 3 uti and 1 wytech graduates who all took the automotive perfance program there and all still wound up working the same entry level pay job at the same place as me, only they owed somewhere around like 25-30k for there school that they went to which got them absolutley. nowhere.

not saying the schools are completly worthless but from what ive seen personaly, there not as helpfull as they like to advertise.

i once interviewed to go to some automotive school in colorado, the dude tried to make it seem like i needed to qulify or be accepted to get in the school but in all reality, he was just trying to sell it to me.

i guess between that experience and then knowing my co-workers who graduated from schools like that and wound up with entry level jobs just completly killed my opinio on schools like that.

sorry for ne thread jacking i just did, been drinking tonight and am now about to go to sleep.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

lol.. the school in colorado... I bet it was DADC (denver automotive and diesel college) I found their old brochure at my grandparents' house last time I was home on leave...

tunermt
Car: s13 ka-t running AEM EMS v1, Gallant VR4 Running AEM EMSv2, S2k waiting for the Haltech

Here is a great little article that walks through the modern SR20det ECU options: https://www.brewedmotorsports.com/sr20d ... 3-s14-s15/
I've personally tuned SR20's on just about every ecu available over the last 15 years. I would personally recommend talking with whoever you plan to have tune the car to find out what they are most comfortable with. My personal SR is on an AEM Infinity package for the past 5 years and i couldn't be happier with it. With that said i also love tuning the SR on Haltech Elite, Motec M1 and Link ecu's. I still have to tune a lot of old power FC cars using the datalogit but that is SOOOOOO dated compared to any modern ecu.
As for Piggy back systems... simply NO don't ever try to use a piggy back simply not worth it as they will never work nearly as well as a properly tuned ECU.

tunermt
Car: s13 ka-t running AEM EMS v1, Gallant VR4 Running AEM EMSv2, S2k waiting for the Haltech

SR20det 16G evo 8 turbo on E85 running a plug n play ECU package (linked above).

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”