What the heck is this thing that Reddish Oil is dripping from? Calsonic? Help!

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
MarkEmark
Car: fully-built '95 240sx KA-T

Alright, I thought that this reddish oil dripping was from my power steering pump, because the fluid looks exactly the same that is in my power steering reservoir, but the power steering level in the reservoir is fine and it doesn't seem like I've lost any oil. Upon getting under the car, I noticed that it was coming from this thing that looked like a pump and had attached to it one of the lowest belt pulleys that powers the fan. All that I could read on it was "calsonic", and I could see that there was some red oil around a bolt, and around an area where it looks like 2 parts of this calsonic component bolted together with a gasket. First of all...what the heck is this calsonic thing? I'ts about the size of 2 clenched fists put together, and it has a pulley screwed into the end of it closest to the bumper,and I think this is one of the fan pulleys...it seems like this "calsonic thing" is directly attached to the engine, but my engine oil is a dark brownish color, not reddish. So, what is this, how should I remedy this, and how much would it cost? If you get under the car, you can see this thing through a large hole in the plastic skidplate under the car...it's mounted on the drivers side, in front of the axels.., I don't want to walk into a nissan dealership and ask them about it and then come out having to replace my whole power steering system.....and be screwed out of my minimal cash. Please help! thanks in advance

MARC

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Sounds like that *is* your power steering pump. The only other red oil that could be dripping is your transmission fluid. If you have an automatic, it is probably red, and if you have a manual, then it might be red if you're using redline fluid.

But first of all, what kind of car do you have?? It might help :)

MarkEmark
Car: fully-built '95 240sx KA-T

It's a 95 240sx standard coupe, with MT. I thought the power steerig pump was located just below the steering column (theres this thing that definitely looks like a pump and appears to have tubes running to it from the fluid reservoir...perhaps this smaller pump is still part of the power steering system? The bigger one I'm talking about you can only see from under the car...and why would it have a fan pulley attached to it? thanks:ylsuper

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Maybe you are looking at the A/C compressor. It may be leaking.

The power steering pump runs off the drive belts so that it has power to pump :) But so does the A/C compressor.

drjohn

If it is large in dia. and has 2 metal into rubber lines and is on drivers side toward the frt of the eng. than it is the a/c compressor made by calsonic. It might be that one of the p/s lines that cross over to that side may be leaking.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”