What's up with the Infiniti paint job?

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
Infiniti Chica
Car: 2004 Sedan- Sport package

You guys have been great and very helpful-- and i didn't have to throw out any comebacks on this thread, how completely un-refreshing!
Modified by Infiniti Chica at 4:06 AM 4/18/2008

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Infiniti Chica wrote:I know there have been a few threads on the paint on our cars, but the fact that regular washing using micro-fiber towels leaves tiny scars on it is, well, outrageous. My car has microscopic scratches all over the hood, back bumper area and elsewhere. Is this normal. These aren't your regular swirls lines, but long strokes of microscopic scratches that now dull the paint.

Any thoughts or solutions? Any ideas on how to restore and protect this very cheap paint job?

yes, I;'ll take both serious answers and the few who just have to toss in a humorous angle or two (just preapare to get zinged a little).
Why worry about the paint?After a few years just take that end of year bonus along with the huge raise down to the dealer for a new one

Telcoman

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

telcoman wrote:
Why worry about the paint?After a few years just take that end of year bonus along with the huge raise down to the dealer for a new one

Telcoman
Somebody stop telco from making our society more disposable than it already is...

Cheap oil changed often-disposableCheap gas to ruin engine-disposableTrying to intrigue all the members to buy new Gs-Disposable

Imma send you a recycling bin!

goneracin
Car: 2004 G35X Sedan 1990 Mustang conv.

I agree with telcoman. You will never get your money back on repainting a front end because of some minor chipping. If you want to keep your paint looking its best, you have to edumicate yourself so you don't do more harm than good.

brotsn
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

I have been using Mirror Gloss #16 and it produces a wonderful glossy shine and after each wash I use the mcquires quick detail.

TISon28s

The paint sucks.

Magnet 2112
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe

I was given a price by my body guy of about $5000. But as he stated, he is very meticulous and I could get it done cheaper at MAACO but you often get what you pay for!

Infiniti Chica

Magnet 2112 wrote:I was given a price by my body guy of about $5000. But as he stated, he is very meticulous and I could get it done cheaper at MAACO but you often get what you pay for!
$5000 pesos would be OK... but not $5000 dollars. 5K would mean a whole new paint job for the entire car, and that's for the more expensive paint jobs like the pearl white on the Audi's. I think $5-700 would be a the average range.

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

Infiniti Chica wrote:
$5000 pesos would be OK... but not $5000 dollars. 5K would mean a whole new paint job for the entire car, and that's for the more expensive paint jobs like the pearl white on the Audi's. I think $5-700 would be a the average range.
Ya see Chica, This is part of the problem. Why is it that a woman thinks a paint job is worth five to seven hundred dollars, but a dumb little stone in a silly little ring is worth three to ten thousand? After all, they're both shiny and do nothing to improve an old, rusting undercarriage.

Women complain when a guy adds a sway bar, but she'll go and spend as much on a new bra. They both do the same thing. They keep the front end pointing where it was designed to.

Guys like a loud exhaust, women freak out when guys demonstrate his loud exhaust. Women like very quiet mufflers on their exhaust, guys don't appreciate exhaust they can't hear, especially if it is untreated by emission equipment.

Guys like plenum spacers on their cars, but not on their women. Women get spacers far more often than the cars, but do the guys complain?

Guys like a nice, pretty and sweet sounding intakes. Women often try to imitate this by adding paint to theirs and, over the years they develop naturally the equivalent of a pop charger. Do guys complain?

Guys like forced induction, women seem to hate it, even react violently to it.(Not sufficiently forced to cause damage harm though, just a friendly "go faster" improvement)

Guys like to wash and rub their cars, and their tools, on Saturday in the front yard. Women don't discuss this in mixed company but apparently they wash too.

Cars readly allow their owners to go to car lots and look at other species, even newer, cleaner ones. Even to the extent of allowing the a guy to test out a new one. Heck, I've even rented one for the weekend. Try this with a woman and see how far you get.

Have a good day Chica, I've got a few tools to clean.

BigWill
Car: Gone, but not forgotten-2004 G35 Coupe-5AT-Graphite Now-2008 Black Saphire IS 250

Awww... this is gonna be good!

Infiniti Chica

rn79870 wrote:
Ya see Chica, This is part of the problem. Why is it that a woman thinks a paint job is worth five to seven hundred dollars, but a dumb little stone in a silly little ring is worth three to ten thousand? After all, they're both shiny and do nothing to improve an old, rusting undercarriage.

Women complain when a guy adds a sway bar, but she'll go and spend as much on a new bra. They both do the same thing. They keep the front end pointing where it was designed to.

Guys like a loud exhaust, women freak out when guys demonstrate his loud exhaust. Women like very quiet mufflers on their exhaust, guys don't appreciate exhaust they can't hear, especially if it is untreated by emission equipment.

Guys like plenum spacers on their cars, but not on their women. Women get spacers far more often than the cars, but do the guys complain?

Guys like a nice, pretty and sweet sounding intakes. Women often try to imitate this by adding paint to theirs and, over the years they develop naturally the equivalent of a pop charger. Do guys complain?

Guys like forced induction, women seem to hate it, even react violently to it.(Not sufficiently forced to cause damage harm though, just a friendly "go faster" improvement)

Guys like to wash and rub their cars, and their tools, on Saturday in the front yard. Women don't discuss this in mixed company but apparently they wash too.

Cars readly allow their owners to go to car lots and look at other species, even newer, cleaner ones. Even to the extent of allowing the a guy to test out a new one. Heck, I've even rented one for the weekend. Try this with a woman and see how far you get.

Have a good day Chica, I've got a few tools to clean.
Just wondering if your "type" was an inflatable named Sophia?

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

Repainted bumper, better resistance to chipping.

Black doesnt hide anything though, so when it chips its noticeable.

Still, better!

rn79870

Infiniti Chica wrote:
Now that you mention it Chica, after a few years they all seem to be inflatable.

ArizonaG35
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey Sedan/Premium Pkg. Platinum Graphite

Infiniti Chica wrote:
Just throwing this out there, but who else thinks Infiniti Chica is a "mole"... she's showed up on the scene with a fist full of retorts and a law degree..I vote that she may be a hired gun... am I out of line? Is she just a bored lawyer/true enthusiast or is she on the clock to keep us on our toes?

Dave

rn79870

I really don't know, but Ill tell you this...she would could hold her own on beer night with the guys. +1 Chica.

gwoods
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x
1999 Nissan Altima SE limited 5spd
1992 Miata (soon to be turbo)
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8
2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited

rn79870 wrote:I really don't know, but Ill tell you this...she would could hold her own on beer night with the guys. +1 Chica.
Pretty reluctant on posting a picture of 'herself' for all we know she IS one of the guys?

I don't think we've seen a picture of her G yet either???

Hmmm Dave pay no attention to the girl behind the curtain?

bublightyear
Car: 05 g coupe

numskul wrote:I actually removed some paint on one of the splash guards with my power washer this weekend- just flaked off as if it was on the side of a house for 20 years....I wasn't doing anything I didn't do with my Toyota pickup for 8 years and 120k miles.

The paint is definitely one of the worst things about the G.
Yep, same thing here. I have the clear bra on mine and when I was powerwahing it this weekend the clear over the tow hook just peeled off paint & all I thought the clear bra wasn't supposed to take off paint? Anyway, I have a gorgeous silver bumper w/ a square of grey primer.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

ArizonaG35 wrote:
Just throwing this out there, but who else thinks Infiniti Chica is a "mole"... she's showed up on the scene with a fist full of retorts and a law degree..I vote that she may be a hired gun... am I out of line? Is she just a bored lawyer/true enthusiast or is she on the clock to keep us on our toes?

Dave
I've been kind of wondering lately how many billable hours Chica has recently and where she went to law school?Is she representing some automobile lobbist group?

Telcoman

rn79870

Guys, the clues are definitely there. I've known too many lawyers not to know that what she said about men vs. women in the courtroom is true. Not only that, she gave a woman's perspective on the issue.

The issue about Federal court confuses me though. Unless she works for some agency (like perhaps the US Attorney's office - or another admin agency.) she shouldn't be spending that much time in Fed Ct. vs. State Ct.She has a lawyer's wit too.

I'm voting that she is real. She is facing the same thing here that she probably faces in her work. Trying to be one of the "guys" is much tougher for a girl.

She is right about another thing, that is, many of you are slow to pick up on the many clues she has dropped. She is a girl, probably Latina, high IQ, undoubtedly raised with brothers, most likely older, hence her ability to go toe to toe...

Chica, you go girl...

ImpliedConsent
Car: '08 G35, '03 EB Ford Expy, '03 GMC Sierra, '08 M1117 ASV

Back OT ... Chica, I'm with 'ya. My wife had her first parking lot incident a couple of weeks ago and produced this:

Doing a real close inspection (magnifying glass), all I see is the clear coat and paint missing. No scratches beyond that (primer). I can actually chip away the paint with my finger nail. Based on what I read here, this is beyond an isolated occurrence with Infiniti paint.

$500.00 later (per quote and right at my deductible), it'll look like new again, but still, I'm sure this won't be the last parking lot ding.
Modified by ImpliedConsent at 1:39 PM 4/20/2008

rn79870

Too bad she wasn't driving the M1117. People would probably be more willing to get out of the way.

Sorry your car got the scratch. Your G is a carbon copy of mine, so the picture of the scratch really hits home.

Infiniti Chica

ImpliedConsent wrote:Back OT ... Chica, I'm with 'ya. My wife had her first parking lot incident a couple of weeks ago and produced this:

Doing a real close inspection (magnifying glass), all I see is the clear coat and paint missing. No scratches beyond that (primer). I can actually chip away the paint with my finger nail. Based on what I read here, this is beyond an isolated occurrence with Infiniti paint.

$500.00 later (per quote and right at my deductible), it'll look like new again, but still, I'm sure this won't be the last parking lot ding.

I got semi-creative one day and put bumper guards along the four sides of the car and front and center, all to avoid the scratching you have. They're not exactly the sexiest things, but they're very functional. the guards are about 1.5" by 12" and are glued to the car by a special tape. Got them at Pep Boys. I took pictures of it but have yet to figure out how to post. There's a section here with guides. I'll read up on it and try later.

Rivalry

Hmm.. Dodge paint holds up just fine.

goneracin
Car: 2004 G35X Sedan 1990 Mustang conv.

Yeah, Dodge paint is better but not by much. Speaking about quality, how many cracks are in your dashboard. (I have too many in mine!)

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

rn79870 wrote:Has anyone had the front of their car repainted? And if so, has that repainting resulted in more resistance to the chipping scratching problem?
I've had mine repainted after my door scratch was fixed. 10x better at resisting scratches and chips!

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

ImpliedConsent wrote:Back OT ... Chica, I'm with 'ya. My wife had her first parking lot incident a couple of weeks ago and produced this:

That quote is really high. I got my I30 front bumper painted and installed for $250 out her in SoCal. They even repaired my lights for that price. The finish was identical to the factory finish except for it being extra shiny against the 10 y/o original paint.

gwoods
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x
1999 Nissan Altima SE limited 5spd
1992 Miata (soon to be turbo)
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8
2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited

Rivalry wrote:Hmm.. Dodge paint holds up just fine.
Nope!

I put fender flares on my Hemi ram for about 2 years. I took them off when I was selling the ram and the had rubbed all he paint off down to the metal so I had to sell them with the truck.

BigWill
Car: Gone, but not forgotten-2004 G35 Coupe-5AT-Graphite Now-2008 Black Saphire IS 250

Rivalry wrote:Hmm.. Dodge paint holds up just fine.
That's cause you're three feet off the ground!! Rocks bounce UNDER the vehicle, not INTO the front!

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”