What Oil filter???

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
nabril
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

after a ton of questions got answered in this thread, I finally went ahead and did the oil change on my Rogue.
I put on the Fram Xg7317 filter, and pennzoil platinum 5w20 oil.
I will confess that seeing the synthetic oil pour into the engine was...cool and felt fairly neat, as though I accomplished some great feat, and as if the car is thanking me.

Now, I ask:
1) The next change: When should it be? In 10 or 15k miles? The oil cost $24 at home depot, and the filter cost a little over $8 I believe on Amazon.

2) In doing this change, I saw that I still have 2.5 quarts of the Castrol conventional oil that I had always used. My wife's car's oil change is up soon, and I also bought her an XG7317 filter. I will use that remaining Castrol oil plus 1.5 quarts, and then I'll change her to synthetic. But, should I use the 7317 filter for the conventional oil? Can that filter last for, 2 more oil changes - this next one and the one after that, where I'll convert her to synthetic?

Again, thank you
Last edited by nabril on Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

The Fram XG can go up to 20,000 miles, so 3-4 oil changes. Personally, I'm doing 2 with the ultra or maybe 3 if I'm lazy. I did install a quick oil draining system, so im looking forward to oil changes, filter change not so much. Plus I don't want to waste an extended synthetic oil filter. :mike

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

It’s really hard to put a mileage number on an oil change. To many factors. If your under warranty then Nissan says 5 k. I run 5k in spring summer and fall on the wife’s 18. I cut it back to 3-3500k in the winter, all the idling and short trips are brutal regardless of synthetic or not. I run either a fram ultra or Bosch 3300 and change then out every oil change. I’m sure the ultra could stay on for a couple changes but why.

casperfun

The first 100,000 miles I did 10k-15k oil changes. Never really had a problem but my oil analysis the last few runs I had high silicon and iron.

I blamed this on the long oci’s.

Once I went to 5k changes to eventually 3895 oci, black stone passed me with flying colors.

I was using Amsoil SS 5w30. Doing short trips, idling, and stop & go driving. Very severe schedule.
Fortunately, I had perfect black stone results at 4K oci.

Now I’m using the cheap stuff on sale.

casperfun

Of course the ultra could stay for a couple of 4K oil changes.

Instead of cleaning the same oil for 20k miles, it will certainly shine filtering new oil every 4K with no problem.

It’s all about convenience for an old fart like me! :dblthumb:

nabril
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

So can/should I use the xg7317 in my wife's car for 1 conventional oil change, and then a second change using synthetic oil?

Or should I get her a cheaper 6007 fram filter, for example, for the conventional oil change, and then put in the xg7317 for the first synthetic oil change?

Return to “Rogue Forum”