What Oil filter???

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

nabril wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:28 am
1)What is Vstar?
Me.

nabril
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:14 pm
nabril wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:28 am
1)What is Vstar?
Me.
Thanks V
I feel like your signature was directed at me, and perhaps rightfully so.

So how do I confirm the right number of Vix filter?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

As I said back on page 1, we know the OE truck filter 15208-9E01A works fine on all the QR platforms (and all the VQ and VK platforms as far as I know). The big oil filter companies like Wix all publish cross-reference guides, and you can plug in the Nissan p/n to see exact matches. In this case, Wix's website comes back with two matches for 15208-9E01A, 57356 and 57356XP. That approach may not serve when dealing with "off brand" filters, even your x-ray vision won't tell you if the valving is different or the o-ring has inadequate materials. However, the big guys are a different story. They all like to be able to claim "meets or exceeds OE specs", and the last thing they want is to be reimbursing you or Nissan for engine failures. So when their website claims direct equivalence to an OE part, you can generally believe it. That means the Wix 57356 or 57356XP should both work fine for you.

nabril

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:10 pm
That means the Wix 57356 or 57356XP should both work fine for you.
Thanks for the explanation and clarification

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. Happy motoring!

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I’ve had 2 defective adbv’s on the 15208 for the wife’s rogue. Start up rattle due to the valve staying open. Im done with the made in Mexico gohner filters and will be running fram ultras. I called Nissan as well as the dealer and neither could care less. I care an awful lot that all the oil in the galleries leaks down due to this issue.

nabril

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:43 am
Vstar
This thread convinced me to upgrade to a better filter, and I've got the TG and XG7317 in my amazon cart. Cool.

Now, to the oil. I've been using conventional Castrol on both Rogue's since the purchase, and changing the oil and filter every 5k just because the cost is not that much; I used the regular and crappy Fram 6607 and castrol regular 5/30.
My plan moving forward is to change the filters every 10 or 15k, and to change the oil every 7k or 10, but what oil should I get? Should I stay with conventional or is it worth it to switch to synthetic? My rogues are at 45k and 72k miles, and I don't know if switching to a synthetic "makes sense" or is smart, or whatever. More than likely, the cost of the oil will play a role, sure, but based on previous posts, the cost difference between synth and conventional has shrunk.

What say you?

II Kings 9:20
Car: 2021 Nissan Rogue SV

nabril wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:59 am
VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:43 am
Vstar
This thread convinced me to upgrade to a better filter, and I've got the TG and XG7317 in my amazon cart. Cool.

Now, to the oil. I've been using conventional Castrol on both Rogue's since the purchase, and changing the oil and filter every 5k just because the cost is not that much; I used the regular and crappy Fram 6607 and castrol regular 5/30.
My plan moving forward is to change the filters every 10 or 15k, and to change the oil every 7k or 10, but what oil should I get? Should I stay with conventional or is it worth it to switch to synthetic? My rogues are at 45k and 72k miles, and I don't know if switching to a synthetic "makes sense" or is smart, or whatever. More than likely, the cost of the oil will play a role, sure, but based on previous posts, the cost difference between synth and conventional has shrunk.

What say you?
Costco full synthetic oil is cheaper than most conventional oil‘s so cost is really not an issue at all if you want to go with synthetic. There is no reason not to use synthetic oil.

IMHO, synthetic oil is the only way to go based on wear and thermal data, not opinion. If you need to be convinced, freeze a quart of regular and a quart of synthetic overnight and pour some onto a surface and look at the difference in flow. That alone is proof that synthetic oil is far superior to conventional oil. This has been proven over and over again in numerous tests with both the bearing test as well as heat testing.

Costco, Amazon, and super tech are all made by Warren out of Oklahoma and they’ve been making oil for 100 years. They perform quite well in testing. Not that you asked, but I’m not a fan of Castrol. Pennzoil platinum in one test was second only to Amsoil which finished first. I’ve never seen Castrol or even Mobil One do much better than mid pack testing. Oil is like religion, it’s probably not worth mentioning one’s brand belief.

nabril

II Kings 9:20 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:45 am
Costco full synthetic oil is cheaper than most conventional oil‘s so cost is really not an issue at all if you want to go with synthetic. There is no reason not to use synthetic oil.
Costco, Amazon, and super tech are all made by Warren out of Oklahoma and they’ve been making oil for 100 years. They perform quite well in testing. Not that you asked, but I’m not a fan of Castrol. Pennzoil platinum in one test was second only to Amsoil which finished first. I’ve never seen Castrol or even Mobil One do much better than mid pack testing. Oil is like religion, it’s probably not worth mentioning one’s brand belief.
thank you Kings, and I understand your argument for synthetic oil. I'm not concerned with freeze tests, living in Miami, but what you say makes sense.

I will look at Amazon, Amsoil, and Pennzoil.

Thanks again

nabril wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:11 am
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:45 am
thank you Kings, and I understand your argument for synthetic oil. I'm not concerned with freeze tests, living in Miami, but what you say makes sense.

I will look at Amazon, Amsoil, and Pennzoil.

Thanks again
You’re welcome. I love this guy’s videos. Some (Mobil 1 fans) would argue that his testing isn’t “scientific” but it is fair, consistent, and reproducible and I think it’s scientific enough. https://youtu.be/TWuKvnCq1js

nabril

Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:20 am
You’re welcome. I love this guy’s videos. Some (Mobil 1 fans) would argue that his testing isn’t “scientific” but it is fair, consistent, and reproducible and I think it’s scientific enough. https://youtu.be/TWuKvnCq1js
I just found a gallon of Amsoil on Amazon for $104. Is that supposed to be cheap?

nabril wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:32 am
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:20 am
I just found a gallon of Amsoil on Amazon for $104. Is that supposed to be cheap?
That’s balls expensive. I love Amsoil and just changed my honda CVT fluid with Amsoil. For the money and quality, I use penzoil platimum. It runs $23 for 5 qts on Amazon. It’s so close to Amsoil that it’s not worth the extra coin. The pic is from Amsoil so someone on Amazon is committing robbery without a gun.
Attachments
91FAB00E-9741-4BAC-BC11-B3700CADC7CE.png

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Skip the amsoil, at least for motor oil. You really need to run it for an extended time to make since of the price. Now I do use their severe gear fluid in the wife’s rogue which is as reasonable as anything else. I’m still working through a couple hundred quarts of everything from valvoline to castrol to ravenol. Once those run out, if I’m still alive, I’ll probably double up on mobil1 every year when they offer their rebate. Assuming I’m not forced into an electric car.

D1dad wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:48 am
Skip the amsoil, at least for motor oil. You really need to run it for an extended time to make since of the price. Now I do use their severe gear fluid in the wife’s rogue which is as reasonable as anything else. I’m still working through a couple hundred quarts of everything from valvoline to castrol to ravenol. Once those run out, if I’m still alive, I’ll probably double up on mobil1 every year when they offer their rebate. Assuming I’m not forced into an electric car.
I agree, for the money Amsoil is just too expensive maybe if I were racing or doing 20,000 mile intervals perhaps. Pennzoil platinum is so good that there’s no need to spend all of that coin on Amsoil.

Frankly, I don’t think you can wrong with any synthetic oil and that would include Costco Amazon and super tech.

I used Mobil one for years and got away from it when I realized that they are overrated and overpriced although with rebates I think it would be fine to use. For the same money I’ll take Pennzoil any day of the week. Interesting how car manufacturers recommend different oils and I wonder how much these oil companies pay. Mercedes recommends mobile one, BMW recommends Castrol which I think is an awful oil, and Hyundai recommends Quaker State. I will give Amsoil credit, they invented synthetic oils in 1972 and they are still the best.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I was lucky! :naughty:

nabril

casperfun wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:18 am
I was lucky! :naughty:

Yup. I saw that too and will get it. Hopefully it's real oil and not coffee or old oil.

casperfun

I vouch that it was real & sealed. Protected by ebay guarantee. Funny thing is I got it the NEXT DAY with walmart packaging. It came with some free blue garage lint free towels. I ain't complaining.
Poured it inside a Cadallac Srx. Running smooth. :mike

nabril

casperfun wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:00 pm
I vouch that it was real & sealed. Protected by ebay guarantee. Funny thing is I got it the NEXT DAY with walmart packaging. It came with some free blue garage lint free towels. I ain't complaining.
Poured it inside a Cadallac Srx. Running smooth. :mike
It costs $22 today. Damn I should have bought it yesterday

casperfun

You can't wait on a good deal, especially with the price of gas today, every penny counts! :slap:

Jimmy9190
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue S

I will add my 2 cents, I like the Super Tech ST6607 and MP 6607 filters from Walmart. The new Fram Drive FD6607 at Advance Auto Parts is the same as the ST6607 except it is painted orange and costs a few dollars more. The difference between the ST6607 and MP6607 is the ST is painted white and has a nitrile rubber anti-drainback valve, and the MP is painted blue and has a blue silicone anti-drainback valve. The ST costs about $3.50, the MP is a couple dollars more. All three filters are made by Champion Labs and they have the hard plastic e-core center tube design. I get absolutely no start-up rattle with the ST6607 but can't say the same for other brands. I like the e-core design, personally I think it flows better and I prefer e-core over metal center tubes with holes or louvers. I have seen pictures online of filters with louvers that are not completely open.

I like the STP 0W20 oil from Auto Zone, it only costs about $27.00 for the 5 quart jug. Where I live here in Florida the STP is made by Amalie Oil in Tampa. So is the Fram branded oil at Advance Auto Parts. STP runs fine in my Rogue. So does Super Tech 0W20 from Walmart. The last I heard Super Tech was still made by Warren but Warren recently was bought out by some other corporation and could be going through a formulation change some time in the future so it could soon be hard to tell exactly what you are really getting from Super Tech.

I bought a Fram Drive 6607 and a jug of STP 0W20 a few days ago and will change my oil and rotate my tires either this weekend or next. It does not make sense to me to use an expensive oil and filter combo because I don't drive a lot, I work at home and put maybe 2500 to 3000 miles on my Rogue in six months' time. I am still under the Nissan CPO extended warranty though so I have to follow the 6 month/5,000 mile oil change interval. I also keep all of my receipts and document the date and mileage of the oil change along with any other maintenance I do. For my use the Champ-made filters and Amalie oil work just fine. I would use the Super Tech oil and filter if Walmart could keep them in stock. The last two times I went to Walmart they were completely sold out of both.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

If anyone here was in Ohio I’d hook you all up. Auto zone clearanced out idemitsu a few years back for $5 a jug, both in 0w20 and 5-30. It took me a few weeks and several stops but I managed just shy of 50 jugs. Advance clearanced out their carquest brand which is basically amolie and I ended up with another 20. Meijer clearanced out pennzoil platinum 10w30 and valvoline 0w20 for $7 and I still have about 5 of those. The 10-30 is good for my lawnmower and the 09 in summer. I’ve never been a fan of PP. it seems to turn black in just a few K. Some say that means the oils working but it’s the only oil I’ve ever used that’s done that. So basically that means every other oil doesn’t work.

nabril

@II Kings
You mention the Amazon oil, and I ask about it.

I was all set to buy Pennzoil ultimate, but it has jumped to 34 and higher on ebay and amazon.

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

nabril wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:47 pm
@II Kings
You mention the Amazon oil, and I ask about it.

I was all set to buy Pennzoil ultimate, but it has jumped to 34 and higher on ebay and amazon.
Check your local Walmart.

nabril

phmichel wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:27 pm

Check your local Walmart.
For which one? The Pennzoil?
I'm still curious about the "Amazon oil" as I have a credit with them.

casperfun

:slap: Stop over analyzing, their both great oil. Use your credit with Amazon then find the better price deal of the two on your next oil change.
:stickhit:

nabril

casperfun wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:13 pm
:slap: Stop over analyzing, their both great oil. Use your credit with Amazon then find the better price deal of the two on your next oil change.
:stickhit:
Yes Casper and sorry.
Kings referred to "the Amazon oil" and that's what I'm trying to clarify. Is it Amazon-branded oil? Or something else?
Or did he mean "pennzoil bought from Amazon"

casperfun

Actually, I believe you can get a good deal with pennzoil platinum ultra from Amazon.

Jimmy9190
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue S

I thought I would post here what I ran into when changing my oil today. This is not to bash or disparage Fram, Autozone or Advance Auto Parts, but just an FYI if anyone here might run into the same problem as I did. Today I did my oil change. I spun the FD6607 on and there was something not right. The end of the can bottomed out on the filter boss mounting area before the filter was tight. When the gasket first touched the mount I still could spin it almost two more complete turns. Every other filter I have put on there is always just a slight gap between the filter boss and the edge of the can, with the gasket squeezed in between.

I studied this for a few minutes and decided to get a new different filter. I think what happened here is the threads on the Fram Drive were set too far up on the base plate and that caused it not to tighten like it should. I am no expert but I think that is the problem. Maybe the AAP Fram is made in a different plant from the Walmart ST filters and there is some difference in the machining of the base plate. I took these pictures to post here for comparison.

In this pic the Fram Drive filter is in the middle, the PH6607 that came off the engine is on the right. The new Micro Gard is on the left. It looked to me like the Fram Drive had the threads too close to the end plane of the base plate.
PXL_20220806_202937015.jpg
Here is another picture, the Fram Drive is on the left and the old Fram PH6607 on the right. I don't know if I am right about this or not. I do think the way that Fram Drive filter went on would have leaked and caused problems. I don't know if all Fram Drive filters might be this way but thought I would just post this so people would know about a possible problem. I would say check the filter and threads very closely if you buy a Fram Drive to be sure it will spin on and tighten correctly.

I will say the Micro Gard seems to be a great quality filter. It has a red silicone anti-drainback valve and gasket, it has plenty of good sized round holes in the center tube, no louvers and I have heard absolutely no start-up rattle with it. I may seitch to this filter with the O'Reilly Syntec/BP synthetic oil for both my Rogue and my wife's Rogue too. O'Reilly runs a sale pretty often on that combo for around $33.00, which is a decent price. We will both be due for an oil change again in February so I don't have to worry about it for a while.

Jimmy
Attachments
PXL_20220806_203506823.jpg

casperfun

The one on the right looks like the Fram Ultra that I always use. The one on the left looks like the Fram orange can of death that people speak of that I never use.

The funny thing is that I never really had a problem with Fram filters back in the day when I used them on my maxima back in the 90’s.
:werd:

casperfun

Just check my list on Amazon, not only did they raise the price for Penzoil Platinum Ultra, it’s now 5w-20.

I saved it on my list a few years ago. I mean it’s still a good price compared to Amsoil but it’s not the right viscosity anymore. Good grief! :facepalm:

Return to “Rogue Forum”