What octane are you using in your rogues?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
philipa_240sx

Fudd wrote:Dealer service manager says I need to go to 91 octane for improved mileage. Says gasoline I'm using is leaded, contrary to what the sticker on the pump indicates.
The EPA banned the use of leaded gas (for road vehicles at least) starting in January 1996. :tisk: Your dealer appears to be misinformed. Read up on the Clean Air Act.

There MAY be some instances where higher octane gas will provide a slight fuel savings, particularly under high load and temperature. But it's not going to offset the increased cost of the fuel itself.

Many of the posts in the fuel mileage thread make it very obvious that driving habits and the type of driving patterns have a huge impact on fuel economy and not the octane of the fuel. Short trip city driving in heavy traffic is probably the worst while rural driving (40-50mph) nets the best fuel economy. But this is true not only for Nissan vehicles, but any other makes as well.

I am always open to experimentation. Go ahead and try for yourself. It might surprise you... the only thing you have to loose is the few $$$ you spent on premium. My money is saying it'll make no difference in fuel economy. ;)

And BTW, I've been running 87 octane since the first day I brought my Rogue home.

94sportsedan
Car: 2011 Rogue S

If your dealer told you a gas station was selling you Leaded fuel, I don't think I would go back to that particular dealer. I guess they failed to mention if you are fueling with leaded fuel your oxygen sensor and catalytic converter needs to be replaced.

rayjgold
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue, SL package AWD

Fudd wrote:Wife driving 2011 Rogue SL. Currently using 87. Getting less than advertised MPG of 22 - 26. My mileage is 20.2 - 20.8 urban and highway miles. Dealer service manager says I need to go to 91 octane for improved mileage. Says gasoline I'm using is leaded, contrary to what the sticker on the pump indicates. SUGGESTIONS?

I was told to go to 91 as well...but for different reasons.....car wouldnt start one day without pressing the gas pedal.....felt there was buildup somewhere was only freed by pressing the gas pedal. Side that the buildup was caused by using low grade gas.

Since then, I've been using 89 instead of 87.

zengshengliu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

rayjgold wrote:I was told to go to 91 as well...but for different reasons.....car wouldnt start one day without pressing the gas pedal.....felt there was buildup somewhere was only freed by pressing the gas pedal. Side that the buildup was caused by using low grade gas.

Usually, a poor quality gas cause the build up. You should consider switching to a different gas station and avoid cheap gas (like wawa)

rayjgold
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue, SL package AWD

zengshengliu wrote:
Usually, a poor quality gas cause the build up. You should consider switching to a different gas station and avoid cheap gas (like wawa)

You may be right...I had switched to a cheap Hess station for a month prior to this happening. Now I've gone back to BP. But I'm scared to good back to 87 and feel that it is completely unnecessary to go to the highest...this is not a BMW! so Im sticking with the 89 for now.

philipa_240sx

zengshengliu wrote:Usually, a poor quality gas cause the build up.
Poor quality gas in general can cause a host of drivability issues.

Stick with one of the bigger chain gas stations, preferably one that also sees a fair bit of traffic. Some of the small independent stations may not see much traffic and you might be pumping older stale gas.

TaiLuu
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

rayjgold wrote:
Fudd wrote:

I was told to go to 91 as well...but for different reasons.....car wouldnt start one day without pressing the gas pedal.....felt there was buildup somewhere was only freed by pressing the gas pedal. Side that the buildup was caused by using low grade gas.

Does the Butterfly even open with the car not started?

Just use 87 Octane for the Rogue. The Rogue is a all motor car with a mid C/R. Higher octane does not help anything.
zengshengliu wrote:
Don't ever go to gas stations where it seems to be sketchy looking. They tend to use 1 year old gasoline.
Stick with a specific gas station too. Different gas station put different chemicals in the Gasoline.
Gas stations usually have a inspection date sticker somewhere on the pump.
Fudd wrote:Says gasoline I'm using is leaded, contrary to what the sticker on the pump indicates. SUGGESTIONS?
As for leaded fuel, you should get your o2 sensor & CAT checked.

TaiLuu
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

rayjgold wrote:

Just use 87 Octane for the Rogue. The Rogue is a all motor car with a mid C/R. Higher octane does not help anything.
zengshengliu wrote:
[/quote]

Don't ever go to gas stations where it seems to be sketchy looking. They tend to use 1 year old gasoline.
Stick with a specific gas station too. Different gas station put different chemicals in the Gasoline.
Gas stations usually have a inspection date sticker somewhere on the pump.

As for leaded fuel, you should get your o2 sensor & CAT checked.

philipa_240sx

TaiLuu wrote:
rayjgold wrote:felt there was buildup somewhere was only freed by pressing the gas pedal. Side that the buildup was caused by using low grade gas.
The Rogue uses a drive-by-wire throttle system. The accelerator pedal is just a sensor and the throttle butterfly is driven by an electric motor. If it was indeed stuck, you would never feel it through the pedal.

Sometimes, short engine operation in cold weather (ie. running the car a few seconds in your driveway) can cause a hard start condition later. If your vehicle is hard to start, read the section in the owners manual about clearing a 'flooded engine'. It details how to use the accelerator pedal to clear the engine and re-start it.

BTW, Nissan stopped using the traditional mechanical throttle pedal & butterfly system almost 10 years ago. Just about every make and model of car produced today uses a drive-by-wire throttle system.

TaiLuu
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

But does it open when the car isn't running?

philipa_240sx

TaiLuu wrote:But does it open when the car isn't running?
The service manual indicates that the throttle control motor is powered whenever the ignition switch is placed in the ON position with or without the engine running. Presumably, once this happens it should respond to the accelerator pedal.

If anyone is curious, turn the ignition to ON (do not start the engine) and have someone press the throttle pedal while listening to the throttle body (it's at the back RH corner of the engine compartment). If you hear a whirring noise, you know it works while the engine is off.

Eugor11

2011 Rogue - A kind of boring vehicle for people who drive sports/shift, suddenly turned acceptably lively
These are all full tanks:
- normal 87 gas - Boring Roguee that does its job but fails its MPG ratings very often, even in ideal conditions and well maintained*
- I poured premium 93 - Same boring Roguee, no meaningful difference noted
- later tried 89 - Same boring Roguee no meaningful difference noted

THEN: Bingo! No more Boring Roguee How?
Someone here posted a website where I could locate stations selling non-ethanol gas across the country (I am not at my PC but search around) The one I found is 89 octane, no ethanol. It costs more but the MPG yields are better...and the car drives much better. Well worth it here.
- Fuel average (in awfully wasteful short drive daily cycle) went from 20.5 to 23+MPG
- From NEVER reaching 28MPG highway, to 29+ becoming the usual, and, with patience, 33MPG almost easy [hey, its torture for bums like me to stay under 70mpg!]
- MOST important: No more lazyish launches. The computer seems to like this gas combo and launches the car much quicker. It is not so much like more power as it is deploying it faster on demand.

* Oil is always Synth.

Return to “Rogue Forum”