What mileage typically need new shocks/struts?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
rodneyLH
Car: 911
A3
EX35
MDX
Kosmic

We have an 08 ex35 with almost 80k miles. Seems like it is probably about due?

People typically getting OEM or aftermarket? What options out there (looking for pretty much stock ride, not gonna drop $6k on KW race coil overs)

Thanks!

ObtuseGoose
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35 2WD

The mileage may vary depending on the condition of roads that you drive on and how slow/fast you drive over speed bumps, pretty much depends on how worn down they are. One way, not the most accurate, to look at the condition of your struts is to push down on the front of the vehicle and see how the vehicle reacts. If it goes back up and bounces a lot then your struts are worn, and if the struts go back to its regular ride level with littler to no bouncing then your struts are good/fine. If my description was not great just look up a youtube vid on checking strut condition.
I have an 09 ex35 with 121k miles and the any of the struts have not been changed and my front struts are a bit worn but I know I can wait a bit longer before changing them. To my knowledge I have only seen KYB or Monroe struts for aftermarket but I do not know if they are made to replicate OEM ride. It is tough to find aftermarket parts for this car which is for sure a downside for this vehicle. For example my intake boots were cracking so I looked at oem replacements and they were cheapest at $180 per boot, so I did a little research and found that the mishimoto aftermarket boots for G35 and 350Z, $130 for both boots, fit but need a little cutting.

sherwooa
Car: 2012 BMW E92 M3
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT (sold)
2008 EX35 AWD Journey
2011 Nissan Murano SL

Replaced the struts on our '08 at 94k (rears - did them myself) and 97k (fronts - had mechanic do it) with the KYB's and they are fine. Very similar to OEM in ride feel, but obviously much better shock absorption than the worn original ones. At this mileage, ours were definitely worn out and didn't rebound the way new ones do.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”