What is a fair price? How should I negotiate a great deal?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Etch
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL - Phantom White

I had to haggle for almost 5 hours to get them to pay close to trade-in value. You will not get retail value, that's for sure. When buying a car, it's always best to not have a trade. They can really stick it to you if you have a trade.

I've bought 2 cars without a trade and I was in and out in less then 30 minutes. All the other times when I had a trade, I was usually there for hours haggling back and forth.

jayT

Guys,

Thanks for all your help -

Got my new Rogue:SL 2WD, Premium, Splash guards, wheel locks, 4 mats, rear bumper protectorPrice: $22800 + TTL

ILBUCKI
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Eikon is dead on...it's all about profit...buy low and sell high. There's an 80+% chance the dealer will not be selling your Z3 on his own lot. Most trades go to auction where supply and demand work things out to put cars in the place (dealership) where they are most likely to be sold. I knew I would get low-balled on my Acura TL trade because the dealer had an identical car (down to the same mileage and color) that had been sitting on the lot for over 5 weeks. As a result, mine would have gone to auction which means wholesale trade-in at best. Retail will never happen unless you go private party, have super low miles and have kept the car in mint condition.

saustin99
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue sl awd Gotham Gray

Hi All, Opinions please for a Gotham gray AWD prem pkg, lthr pkg, mrooftotal otd is 27761 (1562 tax incl). Is this reasonable ? Am not finding much inventory in CT and this car is coming up from NJ.

Thanks.

rrs26ja
Car: 2008 Rouge, 1998 Maxima

I just picked up my Gotham Gray Rogue SL with the AWD premium packagem, roof rack, splash guards. No moon roof or leather. I paid $25,555 out the door. My company works with Nissan so I received what they call a VPP price. Mine also came fro NJ as my dealer did not have the color I wanted.

henrysmom

I just picked up my new Rogue. Prem pkg, leather pkg. moon roof pkg and AWD. I paid $24,543.00 or 26,859.00 out the door. I am in the SF bay area

saustin99

Was that a SL ?

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

saustin99 wrote:Was that a SL ?
I think you have to have the SL to get the leather and moon roof, so I'm going to assume the answer to your question is yes.

saustin99

Aha ! Thanks for the reply. Sounds like i have $1000 (list) options additional which still puts this deal over where it should be. Many thanks.

saustin99

Many thanks for the reply Eikon. VERY helpful. Sounds like I am way over where i should be. Either they sharpen pencils or I find another dealer.

saustin99

Hi henrysmom, Thanks to your incredible timing and info just got back from a dealership near the Yale bowl and with the same SL AWD pr pkg, leather pkg ended up OTD 26,400. A dozen virtual roses, box of chocolates are yours (save some for eikon). Many many thanks for your generosity.

saustin99

oops forget the mroof was also included

saustin99

Did anyone negotiate for the security plus program for their vehicles? Sounds like ok insurance if the price is not too high but am not sure. Any thoughts ?

ILBUCKI

I did negotiate on the Security Plus program and then took the 30-day period offered by my dealer to think about it. The devil is in the details. You have to get a fully copy of the exclusions and limitations to understand what I'm talking about. When I compared the price, my annual mileage, the expected repairs over the course of ownership, etc.... I could not make the dollars work in my favor. The fact is you can take the amount required for the Security Plus program, invest it with a better rate of return and pay for the repairs with that money. That is, of course, if you own the Rogue that long (which most car buyers don't hang on to their cars long enough to make extended warranties worth their while).

Only you know your driving and ownership habits to determine if it is ultimately worth the cost.

henrysmom

I'm glad my info was useful

saustin99

VERY !!!!!!!!!! Did you also pick up the security plus option ? For 1k will be covered for 7yr/100000 miles. Still deciding on this.

saustin99

Thanks for the reply IL. Since the car i'm replacing is a 97 I would say we get long term vaule so this would be a positive reason for getting it. Have heard a few less than positive internet stories about repairs being refused under the program but who knows what is fact or fiction.

Jaded TC

[QUOTE=ILBUCKI] ...most car buyers don't hang on to their cars long enough to make extended warranties worth their while...QUOTE]

I've had a couple of long term contracts through dealers and both pro-rated a refund back to me when trading/canceling early. Ask to be sure this is the case even if it's not through the dealer.

rrs26ja
Car: 2008 Rouge, 1998 Maxima

I picked up the 6 year 75,000 option for $1,100. The only reason was the CVT, AWD and alum block engine. After thinking about it though Nissan offers a 5 year 60,000 powertrain warrentee. So really I paid $1,100 for an extra year and 15,000 miles. Not so sure it was worth it but it does cover many other items besides the powertrain. For me it was piece of mind.

saustin99

Hi rr, Although my identical vehicle to yours was 850 higher otd they are offering 7yr 100k gold 0 ded at 1k. Also am looking for piece of mind so this sounds very good. Really love your deal too.

Jeff In T.O.

Hey guys...

I don't know if any of you have any ideas about dealership markup here in the TGWN? (The Great White North)Yes, we do drive cars up here... We started right after we we got indoor plumbing. lolWith our dollar being so close to the U.S. dollar now, can I expect to see comparable prices to what you guys are paying?This is a plain ol "FWD S" model MSRP in Canuck dollars...Base MSRP $24,998.00 Packages $0.00 Total Designed MSRP† $24,998.00 Freight and PDE $1,400.00 Total* (before taxes) $26,398.00

... and a "FWD SL" Model...Base MSRP $27,598.00 Packages $0.00 Total Designed MSRP† $27,598.00 Freight and PDE $1,400.00 Total* (before taxes) $28,998.00

There seems to be a shroud of secrecy over what the invoice prices are up here. This makes negotiating on a vehicle so new very unnerving to say the least. So if any of my fellow Canucks has bought a Rogue or any of you have ideas what an ideal asking price would be, I would be very grateful!Couple of questions I have...Can you negotiate the freight and PDE charge?One other quick question... When negotiating a price, should you exclude dealer, manufacturer and gov't incentives? Right now, there is a deal on where you get $1500 off the sticker price from Nissan (Not the dealership) and there is a $1000 gov't high fuel economy incentive. This is great, but should I pretend it's not even there and negotiate from the MSRP instead of the MSRP minus the bonuses? I have been told this is a tactic to get higher margins because the deals make you feel "guilty" about squabbling a lower price when there is already $1500 off.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated

Great articles by all BTW... You guys have already helped me out big time!!

ILBUCKI

Agreed. The longer one keeps the car and the more miles one drives, the more sense it makes. Seems others are getting offers around $1,000 - $1,100 on the 0 deductible, 7 yr/100K plan...whereas my offer was $1,811. We only put about 7K miles per year on a vehicle and keep for about 10 years (70-80K miles total). I'm guessing my my price was higher to make up for me cutting into their margin on the purchase price. I left the door "wide open" for add-ons (i.e. high profit margin items for the dealer), but ultimately did not buy any of them in the business office. I'm sure they were looking to make up the lower purchase price with the high margin add-ons.

mmbedman

Carcostcanada.com and apa.ca provide invoice pricing on Canadian vehicles....for a price. They also show any dealer incentives and financing rates. Taking any dealer incentives or special financing should not affect your ability to negotiate towards the invoice price. i.e. dealer incentives would be applied after you negotiate the price.

By using Carcostcanada I have had dealers tell me they will sell for 3% over invoice.

There is only about $2,000 CAD between MSRP and invoice on a base Rogue. Fully loaded Rogue probably pushing $3,000 profit for the dealership.

Freight, AC tax, Tire tax, Title Transferare not negotiable and are true costs. However the Document fee or windshield etching fee or any other fee would be negotiable and are profitble to the dealership.

Anybody have any success with negotiating below 3% over invoice in Canada? Waiving Doc/etching or other misc fees the dealership wants to charge?

longboarder
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S 2WD

Hey everyone. Just joined the forum as I'm purchasing a new Rogue this evening. I did all of my negotiations over the phone with the internet sales people at various Houston-area dealerships. The vehicle is going to be primarily my wife's, and she works downtown, consisting of almost exclusively city driving, so the mileage gain from the 2WD model trumped the AWD benefits for us. I have a firm offer from a southern Houston dealership, on a base S model, for $19,200, and an out-the-door price (including TT&L) of $20,670. They're also throwing in 2 - 3 day / 4 night cruise tickets on Carnival Cruises out of Galveston. I didn't really haggle with the salesman, I simply shopped around all my local dealerships and got the best price from each, and then called around with the lowest price offered in round 1, and found someone who would beat it. The forums have really helped to better-inform me while I've been making this purchase decision. Thanks everyone!

thepettes

I just bought my SL Venom Red Rogue with leather, AWD and moonroof for $24,822 in Wood River, IL. Great deal!

dmw98path

thepettes wrote:I just bought my SL Venom Red Rogue with leather, AWD and moonroof for $24,822 in Wood River, IL. Great deal!
Is that the out the door price? Or price prior to any taxes/title/registration? What about destination ($745)?

Anything less than $25k sounds excellent for an AWD SL, Leather, Premium Package and moonroof. We are looking to getting a Rogue--still want to test drive the 2009 forester 2.5x--but I only want to pay $25k out the door. (No taxes in Oregon).

-dan

thalia

I'm trying to decide whether to get a Rogue or go with a CR-V ... Rogue's a first choice but what would be a good price for a lease? I went to a few dealerships and it is so difficult to get a clear picture at this point ... especially since it appears that SLs are very high in demand and there are not too many of them in stock ... so number of questions remain - is S something worth settling for? what is a good price?when I considered Rogue back in March, the car seemed to be at least 3K cheaper (fully loaded) than it is now ... any advice?

DoubleDo

Well, I got a great deal for my Rogue.

I got the SL AWD with Premium Package, Bose, Moonroof and other little stuff.

Sticker price, 25,850 and I got it for 22,500. I use to work at that dealership and that's my second Nissan from them, so that's why I think I got a great deal on it.

Oh, I also paid 800 for the 75,000 mile 7 year warrentee.

Return to “Rogue Forum”