What fuel pump should I use in my VG30DETT swapped Z31?

A forum for official Nissan press releases, general information and online reviews. This is also the place to announce or discuss current and past Z-related events.
ZettoSanIchi
Car: 1985 300zx VG30DETT Swap
1985 300zx N/A Daily [boost loading...]

I recently took my Z to Intec Racing, a shop out in Kent, WA and got a new Haltech Platinum Series Z32 ECU so I can switch from MAF to MAP, a new Greddy Profec boost controller so I can get the car finally tuned. After all of the installation, the loaded up the Haltech software and saw that the channel for the fuel pump was getting signal, but wasntvreading any numbers because the fuel pump was dead. They guys at Intec tested the harness as well as the relay and determined that the fuel pump was indeed dead. We got a base map loaded and the owner, Lawrence (cool guy btw), says the only thing I need to do to get the car on the road is replace the fuel pump.

What fuel pumps are you guys running. I'm torn between a Walbro 255 and a DeatschWorks DW2000. They're similarly priced and have the same output, but I'm not sure which one I want. Let me know what you guys are running so I can get a better idea of what's already working for the Masters of the Z Universe.

https://youtu.be/QIYGy4e76fU

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

The Walbro has a proven track record as well as being the design used on countless OEM cars for many years. Most other pumps are theirs rebranded.

Dunno intended use of the car but if they run ethanol in your local fuel used then letting car sit will destroy any pump made, the ethanol does it.

Ethanol in fuel is transparent if the car is driven daily but it refuses to sit for any length of time like with a collector or sometimes car and worse as the evap system gets modded to allow more air to get to the pump. The air then condenses water to phase separate the fuel and it then quickly goes acidic to eat the pump up. I used to sell pumps among other things and sitting destroyed many of them in less than 6 months if the car did not have a viable (meaning sealed) evap system.

ZettoSanIchi
Car: 1985 300zx VG30DETT Swap
1985 300zx N/A Daily [boost loading...]

amc49 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:59 pm
The Walbro has a proven track record as well as being the design used on countless OEM cars for many years. Most other pumps are theirs rebranded.

Dunno intended use of the car but if they run ethanol in your local fuel used then letting car sit will destroy any pump made, the ethanol does it.

Ethanol in fuel is transparent if the car is driven daily but it refuses to sit for any length of time like with a collector or sometimes car and worse as the evap system gets modded to allow more air to get to the pump. The air then condenses water to phase separate the fuel and it then quickly goes acidic to eat the pump up. I used to sell pumps among other things and sitting destroyed many of them in less than 6 months if the car did not have a viable (meaning sealed) evap system.
Thanks! I plan on drifting the car. I'll most likely go with the walbro then. I appreciate the input!

Return to “Z-Series News and Events”