what do you use to controll your electric fan???

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
fast_s14
Car: 94 300zx

Kamin wrote:i use the kickass painless panel

off topic, but where did you get the gauge cluster panel at?

fullmetaltommy
Car: 93 240sx hatch

S14-NEO wrote:well this is the fan controlling im using, works like a champ and its pretty cool looking too..

its made by FLEX A LITE and not too many people know about it cause its on the expensive side...near 90.00 but it work very well..its designed to keep the fans from comign on at full blast to keep the amp draw down. they only come on full blast when the temp goes over 10 degrees the preset limit...
so on this one u dont hav to install a switch it just turns on by itself?

S14-NEO
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx RB25 NEO powered

fullmetaltommy wrote: so on this one u dont hav to install a switch it just turns on by itself?
nope, cause the box itself is a switch..

twoeightythreez
Car: 1994 G50; 1995 Caprice wagon; 1969 Buick sportwagon

gawdzilla wrote:enough with the "BATMAN" stuff, jesus. some people, okay MOST people (except you and others who look for temporary workarounds to save a few bucks) want their car to run somewhat like it came from the factory. This means having thermostatically controlled fans that kick on automatically. They are reliable b/c they have thermo switches that are used in lots of OEM applications.

You are just running a switch into your cabin which 1) is stupid because you want your fans off until the car warms up. 2) is stupid because you want your fans off when the motor is already cold enough. 3) and let me guess you're probably running a thick gauge wire and pulling a lot of amps through the switch instead of a relay, which is also stupid.

Yes, it is more economical, but you are saving what, $30?? if you weren't looking for kouki tailights and kakimoto exhausts you would've already saved more than that. then again your fan/cooling setup is probably crap so you need the fans on 24/7 to avoid overheating your pos.
+1--If you're so concerned about doing it as cheap as possible, and don't mind a car that sounds like it was done by a novice, why even bother with a switch at all?
Wire a relay you got from a pocket special at the junkyard to a key on power source, easily available under hood. At least then all the heavy wire will be as short as possible because heavy gauge wire is expensive.
The fans will then run anytime key is on.
Just remember that at highway speeds the fans will actually block airflow...

RRRRB
Car: 98 RB powered S14

I control mine Via Haltech

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”