What do you think about the Nissan Cube?

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
NissanSportSarah
Car: 2003 Nissan Maxima

By now, you've probably had a chance to read about the Nissan Cube in Nissan Sport's winter 2009 issue. Also, Nissan techs across the country are being sent to school for the training involved to work on the Cube.

It'll be something new on American soil to say the least - similar in shape to a Scion xB or a Honda Element, but by no means the same.

What do you think about the new Cube? Are you excited to drive or see one? Would you consider buying one?

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

While I am not all that keen on the new look of the new Cube (Japan's version looks identicle to the US version), I hope that it finds its niche in the US market.

With the success of the Scion xB, Nissan has the oportunity to grab a lot of the econobox market. Let's hope it works well.

As far as driving a Cube, I have driven the very last version, what I would call the zenki as it doesn't appear that the new Cube is drastically much different than the old one. It's a comfortable car and is quite roomy for its size.

The Cube3 is a good idea on paper, but the rear folding jumpseats are uncomfortable for anyone over 12 years old. Cargo space is already small in the rear of the standard Cube, and the Cube3 is even smaller.

Overall, I think the Cube will do well if Nissan markets it right. Good luck!

dmuramoto
Car: 350Z street, 350Z GT3 and T3 racecars, Versa HB and Infiniti G37xS sedan

In two weeks I'll be traveling to Miami for the media launch of the new Cube. Look for a First Drive article in the spring '09 issue of what should be a unique ride. Nissan has a promotional campaign that looks interesting- certainly not usual 'car guy' customer being courted by this product!

What will be interesting will be how the new Cube compares dynamically to the Nissan Versa. Being built on the same platform means the two cars should have quite a bit in common. But Nissan has some creative and fun features in mind for the Cube and I'm curious to see how they turn out.

Any questions for me to consider on the trip?

Spyder Z 15
Car: 1993 300zx Zlicktop

dmuramoto wrote:In two weeks I'll be traveling to Miami for the media launch of the new Cube. Look for a First Drive article in the spring '09 issue of what should be a unique ride. Nissan has a promotional campaign that looks interesting- certainly not usual 'car guy' customer being courted by this product!

What will be interesting will be how the new Cube compares dynamically to the Nissan Versa. Being built on the same platform means the two cars should have quite a bit in common. But Nissan has some creative and fun features in mind for the Cube and I'm curious to see how they turn out.

Any questions for me to consider on the trip?
Does toast come out of the roof?

My biggest gripe with this is that it looks too much like a scion. Not that I hate the scions, but it almost like a rip off.

zcardad
Car: 2009 Nismo 370Z - Brillant Silver - # 0067

Well, a BOX is a BOX. I have not seen it in person but it seems like it would carry my wheels/tires and tools to a track day or autocross.

NissanSportSarah
Car: 2003 Nissan Maxima

The bizarre box vehicles have grown on me a bit in the recent past. I'm still not a Scion fan, but I've grown to grudgingly appreciate the utility of the Element. 'Course, I love the FJ and that could have pushed me in the boxy direction.

Can't wait to hear what Moto has to say about the Cube test drive!

Atx_Versa
Car: 2008 Nissa Versa SL

I've always loved the "Box" car look and very happy that Nissan is releasing this to the US. Being a Versa owner I hope the aftermarket support for the Cube will provide more availibility of products for the Versa since the same platform is used for both.

dmuramoto

Atx_Versa wrote:I've always loved the "Box" car look and very happy that Nissan is releasing this to the US. Being a Versa owner I hope the aftermarket support for the Cube will provide more availibility of products for the Versa since the same platform is used for both.
Yes, I'm already working on the First Drive article for the Cube. While It's built on the same B-platform as the Versa, the new Cube will have a host of options all to itself. Some may be used in the Versa, but the majority are pretty Cube-specific.

jsmithsole
Car: 6th Gen maxima

I think it's really cool, hopefully Nissan will market it well like Scion did. We'll see though, they pretty created the niche for that car through a really good marketing plan of attack.

I saw one a few weeks back at a show, pretty damn cool...

dmuramoto

jsmithsole wrote:I think it's really cool, hopefully Nissan will market it well like Scion did. We'll see though, they pretty created the niche for that car through a really good marketing plan of attack.

I saw one a few weeks back at a show, pretty damn cool...
Interesting pics, but that looks like a RHD Cube (previous gen?) As for marketing, look for the Cube to show up in shows like 'Heros' with product placement. The full Nissan major marketing campaign should start in a few months and continue in full swing after that.

jsmithsole
Car: 6th Gen maxima

Ahh ha. I am not very "cube" versed. And yes duh, I looked at the Cube website and I am way off!! Well anyways it's the first cube (older or new) that I have seen!

Nice rookie post for my first post in the NSM forum!!!!

dmuramoto

No problem, LOL! If you liked the older Cube, I think you're really gonna dig the Gen 3 Cube, designed for U.S. consumption!

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I liked the 2nd gen a lot more. Seems like Nissan watered the design down a lot. Most of the old styling cues I really liked (the odd tail lights, the wraparound look to the glass) are still there but they're accompanied by a bunch of new ones that I don't like. And I much preferred the older headlight design to the new sunglasses look.

I hope it does well, though.

VillaZX
Car: 2007 Nismo 350Z #0001

My wife fell in love with it at the Chicago Auto Show. Probably go drive one soon. She's tired of her SUV. Would like it a lot better in a SE-R version since I am used to driving Zs. More power and handling and give me good manual.

dmuramoto

VillaZX wrote:My wife fell in love with it at the Chicago Auto Show. Probably go drive one soon. She's tired of her SUV. Would like it a lot better in a SE-R version since I am used to driving Zs. More power and handling and give me good manual.
VillaZX- glad your wife enjoyed the Cube. It's definitely going to appeal to certain people and should make a good change from an SUV. You can customize them right from your dealer, but don't hold your breath on a Cube Se-R version. Power and handling are not the Cube's forte.

The 1.8 liter engine with the CVT or 6-speed will move the Cube to freeway speeds easily enough, but that's where the comparion with any Z comes to a halt.

Return to “Cube Forum”