What did you buy for your EX, this week?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

Please show us your lights!!!! Sounds great!

I had the LED strips on earlier, but removed them when I got my Morimoto HID kit... but now i am thinking about LED lights in a housing (like the mercedes) and mounting them BEHIND the lower mesh grill...

danncas
Car: 2011 EX35 2012 Fiat 500, 2004 Tbird
F250 pickup ,2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
Had Saab 93 Aero's. MB, BMW 530xi, BMW M3 1996 x90 and many more,,

XIS wrote:Please show us your lights!!!! Sounds great!

I had the LED strips on earlier, but removed them when I got my Morimoto HID kit... but now i am thinking about LED lights in a housing (like the mercedes) and mounting them BEHIND the lower mesh grill...

I will parts order work will be done by LightModz in New Jersey next week.

danncas

Well I get My Ex back tomorrow. I was Getting it back Monday but Jay from Lightmodz in NJ cut his had real bad. I had to change up a few things. The lexus 350 HId will not fit with out some cutting. So I went with Lexus 330 projectors and the Audi style LED's but they would not fit in the Headlight asembly becuase of clearance.
So Jay and I decidedto forget them. I wanted it to look like the Audi R8 style and to mount them any place else would tacky. So I put halo's around the procectors BMW style. I want the fine automobile to look custom, but OEM style the last thing I want to do is R.I.C.E it up.

R1chard
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

danncas wrote:Well I get My Ex back tomorrow. I was Getting it back Monday but Jay from Lightmodz in NJ cut his had real bad. I had to change up a few things. The lexus 350 HId will not fit with out some cutting. So I went with Lexus 330 projectors and the Audi style LED's but they would not fit in the Headlight asembly becuase of clearance.
So Jay and I decidedto forget them. I wanted it to look like the Audi R8 style and to mount them any place else would tacky. So I put halo's around the procectors BMW style. I want the fine automobile to look custom, but OEM style the last thing I want to do is R.I.C.E it up.
Let me guess ..... He ran into a whole bunch of problems that increased the overall labor length of the job?
Jay has done work for me.... and let me tell you that you get what you pay for.

I have an EX35 with Lexus RX350 Bi-Xenon D2S projectors, CBIs bulbs and factory Matsushita ballasts.... they worked!
You just have to pick the right shop to do this kind of work.... which in this case was not at LM.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

danncas wrote:Well I get My Ex back tomorrow. I was Getting it back Monday but Jay from Lightmodz in NJ cut his had real bad. I had to change up a few things. The lexus 350 HId will not fit with out some cutting. So I went with Lexus 330 projectors and the Audi style LED's but they would not fit in the Headlight asembly becuase of clearance.

Looking forward to seeing it! My wife has a RX330 and I do like the look. Interested in seeing the halos too.

My favorite new look is the led & halos on the new Veloster Turbo. I am honestly considering one of those puppies and giving my wife my EX

danncas

my neighbor has the Veloster its nice. But I love my Fiat more. Even my other neighbor that has Maserati, she love my Fiat also.
Ill take pic of Jay's work and show them. Other guys that I know that have BMW 's said they like the work he has done. That why I went to him. I just sold my 530xi a month ago I alway liked the Halo's in my BMW's

danncas

Well I found time to pick up my Ex35 from Lightmodz in NJ.
I am so hppy with the job and how it all came out. I thought that I would be unhppy that the LED stip would not fit in under the Lens. Jay said he rather not push it. It was a tight fit so I opted out. No problem. While I was there Jay put on a 3m film on my head light and also on my Fiats head light for free for the little inconvenience we had when he got his fingure cut. ALLs GOOD
I will post a night time pics later but if you want to see good pics of the job with a carmara other then my Iphone
Jay took the time to show me how to tweek the beam level since I'm a few hours away.
CHECK IT OUT
http://www.facebook.com/LIGHTMODZ
BTW I'm Dan
let me know what you guys think either way.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

I checked out the facebook images and the lights look great. Love the halos too. Looks fantastic! Not riced up at all.

JZeeZNissan
Car: Nissan and Infiniti

Awesome!

NJGuy

XenonDepot Xtreme HID conversion kit. 35W, 4300k.

I installed it this past Saturday. If I have time, I'll post a thread, with pictures, that documents my installation.

NJGuy

Forgot to mention the Akebono ProACT rear brake pads I ordered a month and a half ago, but I guess maintenance items don't garner the same attention as performance or appearance upgrades.

However, I did get some window tint installed last week. Front doors 50%, rear doors 38%, rear lift gate 20%. I had it done more for the functional benefits more so than appearance. My reasons were:
1. Protect the occupants, especially the kids, from UV rays and heavy sun glare. Summer is on the way and I absolutely did not want to use the suction cup or roller shades that fall off the window, or the temporary stick on film that looks tacky and doesn't cover the entire window.
2. Conceal the contents in the cargo area. While we typically don't store pricey items back there, my wife was always interested in getting a cargo cover. But I could actually get the whole car tinted for a couple bucks more than the cost of the cargo cover itself. The tint fulfills that purpose, and has additional benefits as well.
3. Heat rejection. Again, I wanted to give my wife and kids a little bit of extra comfort, especially in the mid-day during summer.

I'd love to share some pics, but this month is going to be crazy busy for me.

bigbenex35
Car: Ex35

window tint is really nice! and like you say, it provides you with functional benefits. we want pics!! :P

For myself, I brought the car to the dealership for a wheel alignment due to my new suspension installed last week...

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

I had to buy a new car battery today from Sams club. My 4.5 year old 2008 EX35 battery is still working. Lately, whenever I start the car, it seems like it is about to die . No problem cranking , but it seems like the timing is off and about to die after a second from starting. Bought an Energizer MAx and installed it with no issue.

I had this 9volts battery where you can plug it in to the 12 volts connector in the dash to save all my radio etc. settings, when I remove the battery.

NJGuy

AWGD8 wrote:I had to buy a new car battery today from Sams club. My 4.5 year old 2008 EX35 battery is still working.
My dealership load tested my battery a few months ago and said it was fine. However, my EX is also a 2008 model with what appears to be the original battery. I'm not sure how much more life it'll have after this summer.

Was the battery awkward to remove? Since it's pretty heavy and how it's packed in there, it looks like it may be an impending back injury for me if I replace it.

bigbenex35

Usually, OEM batteries last about 6 years here(Cold Canadian Weather...)

Here is the DIY for the battery replacement:

http://www.infinitig37.com/G37-battery-replacement.html

NJGuy

bigbenex35 wrote:
Here is the DIY for the battery replacement:

http://www.infinitig37.com/G37-battery-replacement.html
Nice! Thanks for the link. :bigthumb:

NJGuy

bigbenex35 wrote:window tint is really nice! and like you say, it provides you with functional benefits. we want pics!! :P
I know that the lighting isn't ideal, but here's a quick photo I took this morning with my phone.
Last edited by NJGuy on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigbenex35

looks good!!

Teknical
Car: 2014 QX50 AWD

NJGuy wrote: However, I did get some window tint installed last week. Front doors 50%, rear doors 38%, rear lift gate 20%.
Why so much more tinting in the front? Isn't it normally the other way around with more tint on the back windows? Would 35 or 50% make it too hard to see it out of the back window?

NJGuy

Teknical wrote: Why so much more tinting in the front? Isn't it normally the other way around with more tint on the back windows? Would 35 or 50% make it too hard to see it out of the back window?
I think you have it backwards. The tint on my EX is lighter in the front and darker in the rear. The percentage number is the approximate visible light transmission (VLT) through the tint film. For example, 20% means that 80% of the light is blocked, and only 20% of the light gets through.

The window on the rear hatch is noticeably darker than when it was untinted when looking outside from the driver seat. However, I don't find it hard to see out the back. I also wasn't too concerned there because my wife depends on the rear view camera when backing up. The only minor downside I found with tinting the rear hatch that dark was that my auto dimming rear view mirror no longer needs to dim itself, making it an unused feature. If you don't have one of those, than you'd benefit even more from tinting the back, as it reduces headlight glare from vehicles behind you.

It's also not that hard to see out of the back because a window with tint film installed kind of acts like a "two-way mirror". It's easier to see from inside-out than from outside-in. I can barely see what's in the cargo area when trying to look through the back window from outside; but I can see much more when looking out the window from the inside.

The rear door windows are noticeably darker as well, but less so than the window on the rear hatch. Again, I don't have any issues with visibility.

My wife was happy with the tint because she noticed that it helped keep out some of the solar heat on sunny days. Also, my son appeared to feel more comfortable as well when the sunlight was shining on him. Prior to the tint, he really let us know about his discomfort on the warm, sunny days.

Teknical
Car: 2014 QX50 AWD

Got my tints this week, ceramic Sun Tek. Really enjoying it so far. I got the same 35, 50%. Thought about getting 80% on the front windshield, but that's not exactly legal here.

googleman

NJGuy wrote:
Teknical wrote: Why so much more tinting in the front? Isn't it normally the other way around with more tint on the back windows? Would 35 or 50% make it too hard to see it out of the back window?
I think you have it backwards. The tint on my EX is lighter in the front and darker in the rear. The percentage number is the approximate visible light transmission (VLT) through the tint film. For example, 20% means that 80% of the light is blocked, and only 20% of the light gets through.

The window on the rear hatch is noticeably darker than when it was untinted when looking outside from the driver seat. However, I don't find it hard to see out the back. I also wasn't too concerned there because my wife depends on the rear view camera when backing up. The only minor downside I found with tinting the rear hatch that dark was that my auto dimming rear view mirror no longer needs to dim itself, making it an unused feature. If you don't have one of those, than you'd benefit even more from tinting the back, as it reduces headlight glare from vehicles behind you.

It's also not that hard to see out of the back because a window with tint film installed kind of acts like a "two-way mirror". It's easier to see from inside-out than from outside-in. I can barely see what's in the cargo area when trying to look through the back window from outside; but I can see much more when looking out the window from the inside.

The rear door windows are noticeably darker as well, but less so than the window on the rear hatch. Again, I don't have any issues with visibility.

My wife was happy with the tint because she noticed that it helped keep out some of the solar heat on sunny days. Also, my son appeared to feel more comfortable as well when the sunlight was shining on him. Prior to the tint, he really let us know about his discomfort on the warm, sunny days.
Might be a dumb question. Tinting is done by gluing a film to the windows from inside, right? In that case, are there any safer brands or methods out there? By safer I mean the chemical fumes from drying glue are less harmful to my kid after the installation.

bigbenex35

googleman wrote:
Might be a dumb question. Tinting is done by gluing a film to the windows from inside, right? In that case, are there any safer brands or methods out there? By safer I mean the chemical fumes from drying glue are less harmful to my kid after the installation.
I don't think there is a better method out there... They all use a self adhesive film. And never heard that it could be harmful...

NJGuy

googleman wrote: Might be a dumb question. Tinting is done by gluing a film to the windows from inside, right? In that case, are there any safer brands or methods out there? By safer I mean the chemical fumes from drying glue are less harmful to my kid after the installation.
I can't help you much here and can only share my own experience. I noticed a slight "smell" for the first few days after my EX was tinted. It wasn't that strong or pungent. The smell was no longer noticeable before the end of the first week after tinting. My wife usually parks our EX in the garage with the one of the windows slightly cracked. But since she couldn't roll down the windows with fresh tints, she kept the moon roof cracked open instead.

I understand your concern about the fumes, especially if your kid may have a sensitive respiratory system. My son is less than a year old and has asthma. I'd say the weather has had much more of an affect on his asthma than any gases that are exuded from the interior materials of the car. Also, my kids don't spend nearly as much time in the car as much as my wife.

If you're looking for more information regarding the adhesives used on window film, I'd check out the forums on tintdude.com first. Also, if you still want tint and you're worried about about the chemicals used in the adhesive, I'd at least make sure that the tint is manufactured in the U.S. I believe a lot of industries here in general have been moving away from using high VOC (volatile organic compound) adhesives, materials, and chemicals in their products. I think the EPA has kind of helped to push industry in that direction. You don't really know what you get from the cheap stuff made in some country overseas, where environmental standards and enforcement are not nearly as strict.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

finally broke down for one of these rear bumper protectors.. a little bigger than the normal one, and a good $50 + cheaper... on Ebay

Mandragora
Car: 2012 Infiniti EX AWD Journey, Premium, Deluxe Touring

I reluctantly removed my OEM xbars, bought some (ugly but functional) Yakima rail grabs + xbars, and then popped a Yakima Skybox Pro 16 (http://www.yakima.com/shop/cargo/cargo- ... tanium-16/) up on top in prep for a road trip. After a test drive around town I lost about 1 mph with the box on top, but it was otherwise easy to forget it was there, except when I opened the moonroof!

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

I bought a can of throttle body cleaner. I just cleaned both throttle bodies , very easy job. I made sure i never open the butterfly plate during the process to avoid throwing in some computer code. I did a quick throttle positioning reset etc. and it worked like a charm! No codes and very smooth power delivery, starting and idling. I did it at 55k miles. That warm stall engine starting is gone! I thought it was my battery and I had to replace it and stalling during hot start still happens. The throttle body cleaning fixed it.

waichai

XIS wrote:finally broke down for one of these rear bumper protectors.. a little bigger than the normal one, and a good $50 + cheaper... on Ebay
XIS,
Which model for that bumper protector? EX35's one is smaller than the one you have.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

It is for the EX. The photo is an EX25.
It is bigger/longer and cheaper than the normal oem one that is shorter, more narrow and more money!
That's why I finally broke down and got one.

waichai

XIS wrote:It is for the EX. The photo is an EX25.
It is bigger/longer and cheaper than the normal oem one that is shorter, more narrow and more money!
That's why I finally broke down and got one.
Could you please pm me a link where to get it? I couldn't find the bigger one anywhere.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”