What did u do to your Z today ???

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
whiteknight52
Car: 1990 300zx NA 5spd

I dont have a cherry picker and I didnt want to have to pull the engine. It took me around 7 or 8 hours total. It really wasnt that horrible. I thought it would be way worse. The car runs much better after the headers as well!

ArticDragon192
Car: 91 Z32 2+2

z32pilot62 wrote: I feel your pain, I've been battling Injectors(including P2) on my current Z for the better part of the time I've owned it. In three years I've put 10k miles on it and its supposed to be my daily driver... I've put 5k on my Honda since last October for comparison.
Yeah :/
300ZXttZMAN wrote:Edgar holy s*** man thats horrible.

Might I suggest you get a SZ oil pan but see if Greg will make it for an NA??
A larger pan wouldn't have saved me. The pick up was damaged.

300ZXttZMAN
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.

Ah just read that line... I had missed it...
:facepalm:

Muhib
Car: 04 Nissan Maxima SE 6MT Elite Package
90 Nissan Pearl Yellow 300ZX TT

i got this

cant wait for the double din bezel :gapteeth:

ArticDragon192

blew up motor #3

Developed rod knock 3 days after the swap and promptly grenaded. Rings must have been heavily fried.

TTkickedin
Car: 1991 Nissan 300zx TT 5 speed, t-tops, < currently in intensive care unit!
2011 MBTA BUS

^ 3rd engine? Jeez...

I just got done honing the block on saturday, I think i'm getting my HID kit delivered today as well, and my lights on wednesday. Sick nashty?

z32pilot62
Car: 1990 300zx N/A A/T (Sold)
1990 300zx 2+2 N/A A/T-M/T
1972 Buick Skylark Custom
1970 Chevy Blazer (Sold)
1977 280z (Sold)
1991 Civic Dx (Beater)

ArticDragon192 wrote:blew up motor #3
Sounds like you are having some serious issues with motors, kind of sounds like a certain other person we all know, maybe not from this site but I'm willing to bet you know who I'm talking about.

Maybe its time to start that motor swap you've been talking about?

Chattzx
Car: 90 Z32

z32pilot62 wrote:
ArticDragon192 wrote:blew up motor #3
Sounds like you are having some serious issues with motors, kind of sounds like a certain other person we all know, maybe not from this site but I'm willing to bet you know who I'm talking about.

Poor Dax, he went through so many dang motors lol.

ArticDragon192

z32pilot62 wrote: Sounds like you are having some serious issues with motors, kind of sounds like a certain other person we all know, maybe not from this site but I'm willing to bet you know who I'm talking about.

Don't have the money or time for teh 1JZ swap yet. Or the luxury of being down a car for so long. I'm just gonna go Frankenmotor in the Z now. I have a spare TT motor with blown HGs. Gonna pull the heads, get them decked and hot tanked, and mate them to the block of the original motor of my new Z. Should make for a nice upgrade :)

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

So....TT heads on a NA block? hmm, might be good for a few more ponies (better flow ya know)

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

But, lower compression ratio?
Or is that in the piston dome design (CR)?

Muhib
Car: 04 Nissan Maxima SE 6MT Elite Package
90 Nissan Pearl Yellow 300ZX TT

removed the center dash (not shifter) in order to remove the JVC single din. Couldnt take out the entire thing as BT mic is mounted behind the driver side piller (the thingy where ppl put 3 gauges) and the power harness from cd player to stock harness looks tricky. I will try tomorrow again.

ArticDragon192

NolimitZ32 wrote:So....TT heads on a NA block? hmm, might be good for a few more ponies (better flow ya know)
That I do know. Hence why I'm doing it, haha
DCaff300ZX wrote:But, lower compression ratio?
Should be same compression ratio, maybe a bit higher due to decking the heads, but it's minimal. The difference is in the ports of the heads. More flow, more power :)

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

ArticDragon192 wrote:
NolimitZ32 wrote:So....TT heads on a NA block? hmm, might be good for a few more ponies (better flow ya know)
That I do know. Hence why I'm doing it, haha
I know YOU know, I was just pointing it out for anyone that didn't :bigthumb:
ArticDragon192 wrote:
DCaff300ZX wrote:But, lower compression ratio?
Should be same compression ratio, maybe a bit higher due to decking the heads, but it's minimal. The difference is in the ports of the heads. More flow, more power :)
Ed Zachary!

300ZXttZMAN
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.

Started smoothing my timing covers and need to order paint so can paint them..

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

Got my Red/clear smoked taillights in the mail. And i've had my HID kit at my door as well.

(mini review for both.)

Taillights - bad bits:
Casting flash on the plastic chromed back piece, looked liek they tried to get rid of it by scraping it off. (hard to explain, but the piece that holds the bulbs, not the lens piece. The piece behind the lens.)

came with a sturdy foam piece to act as a water repellent. I guarantee that it won't work 100%. Will, however, prevent a squeaky installation?

and other ugliness from the company called Spec D. :rolleyes: there was a tiny amount of sealant goop on the outside of the lens in between the two pieces, not visible from the outside of the car. I could've left it as is, but these will look better than how they were delivered for sure.

So I'll be beautifying them myself. I have to sand all the gay fake chrome plating on the top part of the taillights and paint the back of the housing black, and pick up some RTV or butyl rubber to properly mount the taillights to the body without it leaking.

taillights - good bits:
Otherwise, even if i left the lights as-is, they'd look awesome. But I want these lights to look good from the inside, the top, and the outside. about an hour of work and they'll look perfect. worth the 130 I spent.

HID kit - Notto SE

nothing bad to report yet. I bought the H3 kit as I have the JDM halogen projector headlights that use a H3C bulb, so I'll be making a little wire to properly mount the ballast to the factory harness. The installation should be simple, came with instructions, though i won't be following them. As described in the Ad, looks high quality. this is for low beams.

Hopefully the bulbs fit. I really don't know at this point if the H3 bulbs will fit in the jdm projectors. If they don't that's not their fault (CARiD,) i can pick up mini h3 bulbs at autozone for like 20 bucks if they don't work.

UberBricky
Car: 1990 300ZX TT

Removed the hard fuel lines from the engine, installed stainless braided lines to make a little more room for the strut brace and look shiney

Rager
Car: 1992 charcoal gray 300zx 2+2
1999 sentra
2004 chevy silverado

started it in the garage , pet the top it , and asked how she was. that is all. so far this year ive only put 5 miles on it

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

^^^SO sad...but I also give a pat and "Hiya Baby!" to the Z that I don't drive each day... :chuckle:

For me it was Spring Cleaning this weekend, with the carrot that I could install anything I could dig up cleaning Friday and Saturday on Sunday, after some cleaning and maintenance for the TT.
For maintenance I tightened fuel lines, cleaned the MAF and cone filter, checked the spark plugs (PERFECT!), then installed my rear mud flaps and painted/installed some slotted/drilled stock size rotors I had laying around after I found the rears I thought I'd lost! :crazy:

ArticDragon192

Performed an exorcism on my demon motor. This is the original motor I pulled out of my car when I swapped in old reliable from my white car. The VTC solenoids were leaking oil under high oil pressure, and injectors were dropping like flies. Decided to fix the issue and remove the heads completely. I know the block is good.
Some TT heads will be on shortly :)

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

You know about the VTC caps, right?

ArticDragon192

BigTDogg (MA) wrote:You know about the VTC caps, right?
Indeed I do. However, the whole head just seemed off to me as I was taking things apart. Some lost sockets in the valley, random washers chilling, a missing bolt holding the fuel rail down, stripped holes in the upper intake manifold (holes for the coil pack bolts), 2 dead injectors (I'm out of replacement injectors). With the TT head, I can reuse my fuel rail and injectors, since it uses old style as compared to the new style this motor comes with originally, and everything will be assembled by me, so I know exactly what's going on. Plus, more power from TT heads :)

Z-owned
Car: 93 N/A Z32
90 VW Corrado
01 mr2 spyder

Should raise the compression of the n/a since you have it all apart lol. I will be curious to see what it dyno's with the tt heads on it.

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

umm, well i did this :D

red/smoked tails, and photo editing. i have a 14mp camera now too! bought exclisively for z picture taking. I'll get more shots.

ArticDragon192

Z-owned wrote:Should raise the compression of the n/a since you have it all apart lol. I will be curious to see what it dyno's with the tt heads on it.
The TT heads need to be milled anyways since they're coming off a motor with blown head gaskets, so it should raise the compression a hair. I don't plan on doing much to it though. Possibly some new valve seals and that's it. I figure a healthy VG with TT heads, Selin set up, shoter intake piping, headers, test pipes, exhaust, underdrive pulley, lightweight flywheel, tune, and a 4.3 final drive will be tons of fun. I'm shooting for 220 whp.

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

4.3 off a frontier?

I'd go with the leader gearset for a 4.1 f/d, have a bit more top speed. (On a TT though.) Specialtyz still stocks them.

JaredM
Car: 1990 z32-300zx

ArticDragon192 wrote: I figure a healthy VG with TT heads, Selin set up, shoter intake piping, headers, test pipes, exhaust, underdrive pulley, lightweight flywheel, tune, and a 4.3 final drive will be tons of fun. I'm shooting for 220 whp.
buddy put down 210 i think on a similar setup. Is this what you mean by shorter intake piping? will be interesting to see either way

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

JaredM wrote:
ArticDragon192 wrote: I figure a healthy VG with TT heads, Selin set up, shoter intake piping, headers, test pipes, exhaust, underdrive pulley, lightweight flywheel, tune, and a 4.3 final drive will be tons of fun. I'm shooting for 220 whp.
buddy put down 210 i think on a similar setup. Is this what you mean by shorter intake piping? will be interesting to see either way
You'll lose power with that set up, due to the intakes sucking hot air.

Placing them in the nose panel, planar would be ideal

JaredM
Car: 1990 z32-300zx

this is true, what you cant see in this picture is the massive ducting he has running right underneath feeding each of these filters fresh air.

he actually gained 13whp on this setup iirc will ask him later

ArticDragon192

TTkickedin wrote:4.3 off a frontier?

I'd go with the leader gearset for a 4.1 f/d, have a bit more top speed. (On a TT though.) Specialtyz still stocks them.
Nope, either a CA powered S13 or an R32 non-GTR.
BigTDogg (MA) wrote: You'll lose power with that set up, due to the intakes sucking hot air.

Placing them in the nose panel, planar would be ideal
I'm actually placing them right below the headlamps, right behind my foglamp ducts. Lots of fresh air, clears up the nose panel area for more cooling to my radiator, and gets more fresh air to the filters via the ducts :)

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”