What Broadfield Has Been Up To......

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

i absolutely love your front brakes. what are you running for the rear? z32's with what rotors?

Broadfield
Car: 1992 240sx

motoman399 wrote:i absolutely love your front brakes. what are you running for the rear? z32's with what rotors?
Yeah, rears are Z32's with aftermarket slotted Z32 rotors. I also powder coated the rear top hats black when I did the front Stoptech 2-piece hats.

Another pic of the rear caliper:

I also have a build thread on here when I did the powder coating and zinc plating of the front and rear brakes. I'll try to dig it up.

Broadfield

Found it:

caliper-color-suggestions-t385238.html? ... uggestions

I don't think there are any of the build pics until the end of the 2nd or 3rd page.

Razi
Car: Moo

Where did you get that fender brace?
Did you feel any difference after you installed it?

Car's looking awesome as always Broadfield!

Broadfield

Razi wrote:Where did you get that fender brace?

That thing was already on there when I bought the car..... it's a Tanabe. It's actually a 2-piece brace. It's hard to tell in my pics, but there is a black extension bar that goes further forward off the main blue brace and basically sandwiches the metal of the car between the blue brace(back side) and black bar(front side).

http://www.phase2motortrend.com/tafebrn.html

motoman399

Broadfield wrote:Yeah, rears are Z32's with aftermarket slotted Z32 rotors.
thanks. i am curious, what MC are you using? how is the bias? im going to be running brembo's in the front from a jdm sti, and i have z32's for the rear. but i thought that the bias would be way off being that the z32's are smaller than the sti rears? thanks for any info :)

Broadfield

I'm using a Z32 master cylinder. I think the bias is fine. The Z32 rears aren't really that much smaller..... I use to own an Sti before my S13. ;)

Razi

Broadfield wrote:
Razi wrote:Where did you get that fender brace?

That thing was already on there when I bought the car..... it's a Tanabe. It's actually a 2-piece brace. It's hard to tell in my pics, but there is a black extension bar that goes further forward off the main blue brace and basically sandwiches the metal of the car between the blue brace(back side) and black bar(front side).

http://www.phase2motortrend.com/tafebrn.html
Awesome, thanks!

motoman399

nice. well i think im going to be using a frontier master cylinder, its one inch bore and the same casting as the rhd master cylinder. since im going to be rhd then it should work good.

thanks for the input. i really didnt want the bias that i had when i was running z32 30mm in the front and stock in the back :facepalm: i guess ill be sticking with the z32 rears. mine wont be white though :squint:

sending pm now about the sti business..

Broadfield

I fought with mounting the fenders for some time. When I thickened up the top mounting tabs, I accidentally thickened up the wrong F'n side. On all of the mounting points I simply thickened up the inside. Well, on the top mounting tab that mounts inside the door, it actually mounts the opposite of all of the other mounting points. So I had to carefully transport them to work and grind down all of the fiberglass I had added on that tab. So I brought them back home and fought with them some more and finally got them basically perfect after about 3 hours of work. Probably another 3 hours to get the headlight assemblies, corner lamps and hood lined up. The front bumper didn't really have a choice but to line up. I still don't have the hood perfect, but it's very, very close.

I still want to lower the front another 1/4" or so. Maybe the rears too.

I'm very happy with the fitment overall. I love being able to tuck a 285 out back. I had to notch the lower control arm a 1/4" and hammer the upper inner wheel housing to clear for the 11" wide wheels. It still barely rubs on full compression on the upper inner wheel housing, but it's only for a split second when going over very large dips. I just went down to Import Alliance down in Nashville and had no issues..... that was a 1000 mile round trip. I think I might be ale to bring the camber out .5 degrees and that will probably alleviate the rubbing on the inside.

I'm happy with the front fitment, I just want to go a little lower as I previously stated. There is no rubbing whatsoever.

A line-of-site shot to see front and rear fitment.

Razi

Looks nice and clean Broadfield, ugh I want to tuck a lot of the junk in my engine bay and clean it up like yours.

Also, will you leave the fender liners out?

Broadfield

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part. You know how I am with fender liners!?! I modified the liners so that the bottom portions are still there front and back. So if you look into the wheel well area, you can not see the intercooler piping or the front side of the door jam. It actually worked out REALLY well. I basically cut the front one so that it meets where the metal wheel tub starts to curve up. More or less it's shaped like an "L". So it still goes forward to meet the underside of the bumper then curves up to meet the metal wheel tub. I also left a "finger" that hides the fender harness that comes down to the front of the vehicle. I will take some pics to illustrate what I did. I will also take a pic of the rear section which is much more simple.

Razi

Oh, I'm glad it turned out good with the cut pieces, I've thought about doing that with my liners, but was worried I might essentially create 2 buckets inside my fender.
It's been a while since I've take these things off, and I'm out of the country so I haven't had time to mess with them yet.
I was going to do your heatgun method when I return, but now I'm curious what you've done with the two pieces, Broadfield style!

I'll anxiously wait for those pics! :D

Broadfield

I had the car back together and on the road for a week.... everything was fine. I only had 10 days before Import Alliance in Nashville, so I had to make sure everything was good to go for the 1000 mile round trip. My air conditioning hadn't worked since last summer for some reason, so I figured either it was low on freon for some reason or there was some electrical issue.... blown fuse, bad wire etc. So as I was trying to get to the low pressure side fitting, I noticed that the line had a hole in it where it runs behind the motor. When I did the Full Race setup over two years ago, I had to bend the low pressure line a bit to move it out of the way of the Full Race downpipe. Well, over time it ended up rubbing a hole in it where it was too tight against the bracket that mounts on the back of the head. So naturally I started to pull the line out so I could weld up the hole and recharge the system. There was no way I was going to drive down to Hotville with no air. So in the process of pulling it, I had to undo a bunch of AN lines and move a harness out of the way. I got to thinking, man this wiring would look a lot better if it was completely tucked. The only thing not tucked in my bay was the main harness where it entered the engine bay and it also routed into each fender at each end of the firewall. So with only 10 days left, I decided to cut up a bunch of wiring and re-route, extend etc.

I decided I would re-route the engine harness into the side of the transmission tunnel, up over the tranny then right out behind the block. This way it was easy with the motor still being in the car and it would not be visible at all.

Harness removed and low pressure AC line removed:

I had to extend probably around 30 wires total. This pic is just the extensions for my Defi gauge sensors:

Ordered up some hole plugs for the firewall and tossed the AC line back in. I have also been tossing around the idea of filling/shaving the bay and painting it body color for this winter's project.

No more wires. It doesn't look horribly different than before, but I feel better now..... that's all that matters. :biggrin:

I also ordered up some new brake line clips for the firewall a couple weeks ago from Courtesy Nissan. Mine are all broken and don't hold the lines in place for crap. Unfortunately I didn't think they will be here by Import Alliance. The whole thing with Import Alliance is that it is a goal for me to have everything I am doing to the car, for the year, done by the event. It helps keep me focused and keep me on track with a solid time line.

As you can see in this pic the old clips don't hold the lines very good. Those will actually pop out of their the first bump I hit. When I went to order the new ones, the S13 are actually discontinued for the ones that I wanted. I think even the S14 ones may have been discontinued..... so I ordered some from a Z32 and hope they work out the same.

Last edited by Broadfield on Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

Lookin' good as usual, Toby.

angelscrx

Wow I have only seen pics of different parts of your car, now seeing it all together really shows how much work, love, blood, and sweat has gone into it. great job and thanks for sharing.

240lookis
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

Broadfield wrote:Image
this is awesome. so well executed. mine looks thrashed and much worse.

this all looks great. ultimate mix of form and function.

kornmanz
Car: 89 240sx Hatch SR Powa'd

Very clean! Almost too clean!

Broadfield

I had been wanting some "baller" type bolts for the engine bay for some time. I stumbled across Gallery Fresh a few months back. I him-hawed around about getting some for months. The price was high, but I really wanted them for Import Alliance..... that finishing touch for the engine bay. I didn't want anything too flashy/ricey, so I thought if I do order them, I'll get them with the black washer. That way they will look nice, but not really stand out too much. If you are not familiar with them, they are a fully polished stainless bolt that come with the appropriate anodized washer. They come in various bolt sizes: 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, screw and nut. You can then choose: socket head, button head, nut or screw. There are 6 colors to choose from: purple, gold, black, blue, red and polished.

I had some extra cash to blow, so I went for it. I order up about 65 various styles/sizes with the black washer. I decided to go a tad flashy with a different color for the valve color.... I went with red. There are 15 fasteners on the valve cover.

So basically I am replacing the bolts on: valve cover, fender bolts, hood hinge, radiator brackets, power steering reservoir, windshield washer pump, intake manifold, intake manifold brackets, coolant overflow, headlight brackets, cooling panel, master cylinder, fuel pressure regulator, strut tower nuts and some other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Razi

Hot!
Do you have any more pictures of the inside of your fender?

Broadfield

Razi wrote:Hot!
Do you have any more pictures of the inside of your fender?
Don't worry, in due time. I have to take a wheel off to get good pictures........ I am a VERY busy man.

Razi

Understandable! :yesnod

Frank E Bones
Car: Slower than it looks

Broadfield wrote:Image
Damn Broadfield, just when I thought that your car couldn't possibly get any better, you go and do this!!! I know like most car guys, in your eyes it's far from perfect, but the car is absolutely beautiful. Thanx for the inspiration!!!

Broadfield

Some pics of the bay with the completed tuck and new hardware from Gallery. I also got my new brake line fasteners for the firewall. The S13 ones are discontinued, so I bought some for an S14 and they worked perfectly. Still trying to learn how to shoot with my camera. I feel these are my best engine bay shots that I have taken yet..... I'm sure Kyle will say they are junk :gapteeth:

Frank E Bones
Car: Slower than it looks

Thanx again dude, I hate you a little more now. :rotfl

We can all dream about having an engine bay that "Clean". Love the interior as well. Cant wait to see what you'll do next. :dblthumb:

Razi

<3 Delicious engine bay!

FolkertSX
Car: 1991 240SX

words cannot describe how awesome your bay is. Have you ever though of getting an aluminum overflow tank? might look good

allenms240
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX

I dig those rims
:D

motoman399

i like the bolts on the valve cover.

do you have a throttle body spacer?

Broadfield

motoman399 wrote: do you have a throttle body spacer?
It's the Tomei throttle body adapter in order to run the N15 Pulsar 70mm throttle body.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”