What Broadfield Has Been Up To......

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Metal Angel
Car: 1990 240sx hatchback

I have always wanted to see wide fenders (not fender flares) on an otherwise stock bodied s13. I always assumed that it must look bad or something because I never saw any. Your's definately disproves that theory. Looks great! I still sort of want to see wide fenders in the back... but it would be so sad to cut your car up.

s14tan
Car: 95 ZenKi SE w/ S14 SR GT28r and bolt ons

I swear I'm not a stalker but I saw this on your blog a few weeks back.

Love it.

Kalypso

wow... very nice

mRodiek
Car: Stock Hatch

I read your blog all the time! :)

One of my buddies is looking for what to do next to his S13, I obviously thought of you and hes [considering haha] hitting you up about one of those clusters.

Great work & keep it up!

Broadfield
Car: 1992 240sx

motoman399 wrote:wow looks very good as usual!

have a couple questions.. what were your least favorite to favorite coilover setup in order? i see you have had a few of them. also how did you go about filling the license plate bolt holes on the abs front bumper. i did it to my jdm rear bumper because the cut out in the bumper is wider than the USDM plate. i made fiberglass "biscuits" and then used 40 grid on the back of the bumper and fiberglass pieces i made then molded them in.

thanks and keep up the mighty fine craftsmanship!!!
My least favorite were the Buddy Club. My favorite were the Cusco's. However, I am really happy with the Stance for the price. I would say they are impossible to beat for the price. Of course we'll see how they hold up after thousands of miles.

I actually didn't do the filling of the bumper. I didn't think about filling it until I was literally dropping it off at the body shop. At that point I couldn't delay the paint work since I was working with the body shops schedule. So I was like screw it. Then my friend that runs the shop called me the next day and said she heard that I was wishing that I would of filled the bumper. She said she would do it for $50..... I was like hell yeah do it. So back to your question, I would have done it the same way they did and used my plastic welder to weld in plastic pieces. Then probably some 3M Duramix 4247 over the top and then standard finishing work from there.

initial_jc
Car: KOUKI

Ventless fenders ftw

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Finally someone covers those ugly vents. Nice, Toby.
You get any of those 6" hybrid subs yet?

Broadfield

breadbox wrote:Finally someone covers those ugly vents. Nice, Toby.
You get any of those 6" hybrid subs yet?
Nothing on the subs yet..... hopefully sometime in August. I will be emailing you as soon as I can order them.

Broadfield

Since I had the front 2/3 of the car off getting painted, I thought it would be a good time to take care of some of the b.s. work that I had been wanting to do.

I used POR White Coat on the front bumper beam, top rails where the fenders mount and the very inner door jam area where the door hinges mount. I also wanted to undercoat the crap out of the wheel well areas.

Obviously going lower and a wider tire, I had to make sure the fender harnesses were high and tight.

I also cleaned up a lot wiring that wasn't needed. I had already done a wire tuck 2 years ago of everything but the main harness on the firewall. But I cleaned up the headlight wiring etc. I still had the plugs in there for the pop-ups and intermediate plugs for the OEM headlight plugs to HID ballast plugs. So I ripped it all out and soldered the headlight wires directly to the ballast. I literally got rid of a dozen plugs when it was all said and done.

S13_love

Just curious, what kind of undercoat did you use for the wheel wells?

S14toRPS13

Just checked in this thread for the first time and I was shocked to see you going with Chargespeed fenders, but then as usual you go out of your way to turn those fenders into something the companies should have been producing from the beginning. Just when I think your car doesn't get any better, you find a way to out do yourself. I wish I had the patience and skills you have. Always top notch craftsmanship!

Broadfield

S13_love wrote:Just curious, what kind of undercoat did you use for the wheel wells?
3M part # 08881

breadbox

Awesome. Can't Wait.

Steady_One_S13
Car: 1991 SR'd 240sx S13, 1993 Toyota SW21 Mr2...

Broadfield wrote: Image

My time with the fenders were done after this. My good friend at the body shop that paints all of my stuff, gave the entire fender a complete wipe of metal glaze filler. Then blocked that completely down. Then gave each fender a coat of spray polyester(basically spray filler). Blocked the entire fender down again. Then sprayed primer and blocked it down again. Then paint. Needless to say they are perfect.

:mike Awesome job on the fenders! In all seriousness... you rock!!

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

hey thanks for the reply! im going to look into it.

keep it up on the car, it always turns out nice

angelscrx

Ahh back to more impressive mods I see. keep it up. I am subscribing to this one as well as the others threads you have.

Broadfield

Along with tucking the fender harness up out of the way, I also had to do something with the drivers side grommet behind the tire. Since I was doing 245's, it rubbed really bad when turning at the ride height I wanted. At first I made a plate out of 1/4" ABS. Then notched the top portion of it for the wiring. So I basically moved the wiring all the way to the top:

However, not all of my ideas work out as planned. The tire still barely rubbed the edge of the ABS. So I went way thinner and made a new plate out of some .025 gauge aluminum sheet. After it was all said and done, I coated this with 3M undercoating:

I am a firm believer that it's the little details that really finish a car off. So it would of been a shame to have a rusty hub nut area in the middle of some fully polished Meisters. I used some standard POR 15 for the front and rear. While it was up on the jack stands I tossed the wheels on to see how the finished package would look with the POR centers:

I knew that if I was going to tuck 285's under the rear, I would probably have to run a 1/2 degree more of camber. I also was about a 1/4 degree off on the passenger side from the old setup, but I could never get the jam nut on the RUCA to bust free. And the OEM camber bolt was maxed out..... so I had no more adjustment unless I could get the nut free on the RUCA. I took the arms off the car, Battle Version by-the-way, and took them into work. I placed them in a vice and took some heat to them..... I still couldn't get the damn jam nuts to break loose on either arm. So I threw those f'n things in the trash and called up Touge Factory to see what they had in stock. Much to my surprise, they just happen to get the first shipment of the new Stance RUCA's the day before I called. So I had those the next day since Touge Factory is just a couple hours north of me:

thematz

Saw your car at Import Alliance on Sunday. Its even nicer in person. Keep up the great work.

breadbox

sweet. IS there a big difference in the half moon RUCA and the OEM type RUCA other than the fact you have to remove suspension to install the oem type ones?

Broadfield

thematz wrote:Saw your car at Import Alliance on Sunday. Its even nicer in person. Keep up the great work.
Thanks man! Did we chat?

breadbox wrote:sweet. IS there a big difference in the half moon RUCA and the OEM type RUCA other than the fact you have to remove suspension to install the oem type ones?
I have only owned the half moon style, so I personally couldn't tell you if there is any structural advantage.

S14toRPS13

How much were the Stance rucas?

thematz

Broadfield wrote:
thematz wrote:Saw your car at Import Alliance on Sunday. Its even nicer in person. Keep up the great work.
Thanks man! Did we chat?

I think I saw you sitting under a red tent beside your car but i wasn't for sure so I didn't say anything. I just spent plenty of time looking at your amazing car and telling my friends about it.

Broadfield

S14toRPS13 wrote:How much were the Stance rucas?
If I remember correctly, I got them for $220 shipped.

Broadfield

thematz wrote:I think I saw you sitting under a red tent beside your car but i wasn't for sure so I didn't say anything. I just spent plenty of time looking at your amazing car and telling my friends about it.
Yeah, you should of spoke up. It was either me or one of the six members of my entourage :)

Broadfield

I will remember this pic for a while.... it was the first time the car was off the jack stands and on the Meisters. I get just as excited as the next guy when it comes to things like this. Sure, I am older and therefore have more money than a lot of the younger members on here. But I still work very hard for my money, put in a lot of hours at work..... even work 40 days straight without a day off. So the money and countless hours I put into my builds are rewarded back to me with moments like these:

FolkertSX
Car: 1991 240SX

those are def my favorite wheels of yours. never was a fan of either of your old ones. great to see your starting a build.

Edit: I finally attempted to stitch the suede together for my dash. holy s*** is that difficult. Getting the spot for my gps was nearly impossible. After hours of sowing with my grandma we both gave up. Ive decided im going to flock it instead. /threadjack

Kalypso

wow.... such a fierce ride.

( VERTEX VERTEX VERTEX )

got chub
Car: pearl white 95 240sx

how long have you owned your car toby? im loving everything you do to it. Im very slowly doing my S14 in a similar fashion, trying to make everything look like a factory option. :dblthumb:

Broadfield

got chub wrote:how long have you owned your car toby? im loving everything you do to it. Im very slowly doing my S14 in a similar fashion, trying to make everything look like a factory option. :dblthumb:
I have owned it for exactly four years.

Broadfield

I always hate transporting large, freshly painted panels. It makes me very nervous. They have to be secure so they won't slide around, but you can't really tie them down because you don't want to mess up the paint. I had to transport two doors, hood, bumper, two fenders, wing and door handles. I used two truck beds and a 12 foot flatbed trailer. Everything went fine needless to say.

I was also dreading getting all of the panels lined back up. Because they fit absolutely perfect before. And the fact that I was installing fiberglass fenders, I knew it was going to suck a little. The doors were cake because I removed them by the pins. So there was no lining them back up. Simply hang them back on the car and drop the pins in..... or should I say hammer the piss out of the pins :chuckle:

Return to “240sx General Discussion”