What Broadfield Has Been Up To......

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
S13AL
Car: 1991 240sx hatch with blacktop s13 sr20det, HKS Hipermax III suspension, HKS Sport exhaust, Blitz downpipe, S15 Sylvia HLSD, 300zx/J30 5 lug and brakes, and mesh wheels

Your dedication to this car is impressive.

Broadfield
Car: 1992 240sx

Metal Angel wrote:Judging by your craftsmanship and attention to detail, I am guessing you are not open to suggestions from people unless they produce the same quality of work you do... even so, I have a recommendation. I think your car would look great with some nice clean oem mudflaps... might be hard to find a clean set and from what I gather, you can't get them from nissan anymore. Your car actually inspired me to take my mudflaps off... but after a year or so without them I have decided to put them back on (when I get around to it). I have decided that cars without aero look better with flaps.
I am always open to suggestions. Most of the time when people suggest something, it's something I already have plans to do... just haven't done it yet. While I appreciate the mudflap suggestion, you will never see a set of those on this car. It's just not the overall, super clean/streamline look I'm going for.

Toby

Broadfield

Well, it's about that time to start planning on what I'm going to do to the car this winter. I like to really get a game plan and weigh the pro's and con's of my planned modification(s). My engine bay has always been my favorite part of the car. However, shortly after I finished this last wire tuck and with the Gallery Bolts, I'm not happy with the overall look. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the actual look of the motor and all of the components... AN lines, bolts etc. But now the holes in the bay really stand out for some reason. I think because the rest of it is so spot on, the holes just light up like a Christmas tree. Also, the bay is OEM white. Which means it doesn't match the exterior OEM white. That hadn't really bothered me until now... after all, it was OEM. But now that the engine and goodies standout so much, I want to paint the bay the same white as the exterior, clear and all. So I decided my big "mod" for this winter will be to fill/shave the bay and paint it body color.

What I like about this mod is that I don't really "have" to buy expensive parts etc. However, I have decided since I will be saving money on parts, I will spend the cash on a TIG welder. I have wanted one of these for like 15 years... just never placed enough importance on it to spend the cash. I think I'm going to spray it myself also at my house. I do not want my car at my shop. Winter time is too crazy around there squeezing 5-6 cars in the shop. And I don't want to take the chance of my car getting dinged, scratched etc. by my other installers. Also, it just takes up too much space there. On top of that, my wife and I will have 4 month old at that point, so at least I would be home and easily be able to stop on the car and help out. So since I'm going to spray it, I'm also going to need a decent size compressor... which I don't have one at all at my house. I obviously never had the need since I usually just use my shop to work on my car. And since last winter's mods went over well in the garage at my house, I figure why not again. The other thing is that the paint in the bay doesn't have to be quite as perfect as the paint on my car. I'll want it about as nice as OEM exterior paint, which is about one step below the exterior quality of my car. It's going to have dust nubs, because there is no way I can get a perfectly dust free environment, but I can always wet sand those out and buff it. So that's my plan for now. I also have a couple other thoughts going through my head, but I'll save those for another post.

420sxWETDREAMS
Car: 1991 240sx Hatchback

Congrats on your little one on the way! Welcome to my world lol I have a three year old and a one year old. Hence why my build is taking so long. Well anyways no need to thread jack but all the best and of course the most common phrase said in your threads......"I can't wait to see what your gonna do next"!!

Broadfield

Yeah, I already have a 4 year old, so I don't foresee my build taking any longer than usual. I tend to knock shiiite out. :)

Broadfield

Razi wrote:Hot!
Do you have any more pictures of the inside of your fender?
This is for you Razi!

Basically I cut the front part of the liner off and a section of the rear, and used those two "chunks" to accomplish this.

The rear is the easiest. Just a small piece to keep debris from getting tossed back into the door jam area. It worked out nice since you have to hammer the lip over to make room for wider tires when turning. So the hammered over lip actually holds the liner section in place.

The front takes a little more precision, but still pretty easy. Here is a before shot. This is what it looks like with no liner... garbage in my opinion.

A picture of an unmodified liner:

I first cut the liner in half at the peak of the arch to get it down to a workable size:

I then cut along the bump in the liner. It's hard to see in the pic, but very obvious when you have it in front of you. It will make more sense when you look at the finished results. Simply cut a little then see how it fits. Just keep cutting more until it fits the way you want it. I used big shears, cuts like butter.

This is a picture of the chunk that I cut out. The liner will basically follow the bottom of the metal of the tub. That way it can be shifted forward about an inch or two and will not be rubbed by the tires. You may also have to trim some off the front where it goes into the bumper since you are shifting it forward:

This is what it will look like before final mounting:

You will want to make sure to keep these inner two tabs in place:

You will get it set up in there and drill two new holes in the side of the frame. The old holes will not line up since you are shifting the liner forward:

The other part that is going to hold this in place is a strip that fits into the outer edge of the fender. I drilled two holes in it so I could slip a zip tie in there and strap it to my fender harness. I am running fiberglass wide fenders, so if you are running stock fenders, you may mount it slightly different. However, you will not be able to mount it to the actual fender since the whole point of this is to move it forward so the tire doesn't rub it. Once you have it in there, snug the zip tie tight and it's going nowhere!

Finished product.. damn near OEM looking! I am running 245's up front and am fairly low... no rubbing whatsoever.

nightsauce
Car: 1991 s13 hatch RIP
1992 s13 hatch :D

i must say you win. I was debating on cutting the fender linings but it is a must now. especially with the winter coming |:

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

looking good broadfield!!

Razi
Car: Moo

Awesome!
Thanks for taking your time to take such detailed pictures! Image

I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. :)
Thanks Broadfield!

Broadfield

Razi wrote:Awesome!

Thanks Broadfield!
I got your back fool! :gapteeth:

Frank E Bones
Car: Slower than it looks

This will not surprise anyone im sure,

"Toby Broadfield's 240SX was one of the most well rounded and cleanest S13's we've ever featured. That was more than three years ago, and we have yet to find a better street-driven example of an S13." - Modified Mag. (Nov. 10' Issue)

Abso-freakin-lutely :yesnod

Razi

Broadfield wrote:
Razi wrote:Awesome!

Thanks Broadfield!
I got your back fool! :gapteeth:
:badger :badger
Frank E Bones wrote:This will not surprise anyone im sure,

"Toby Broadfield's 240SX was one of the most well rounded and cleanest S13's we've ever featured. That was more than three years ago, and we have yet to find a better street-driven example of an S13." - Modified Mag. (Nov. 10' Issue)

The truth!! :mike

Broadfield

Frank E Bones wrote:This will not surprise anyone im sure,

Uhhh, is there something I'm not aware of?

Frank E Bones

Broadfield wrote:Uhhh, is there something I'm not aware of?
It's on page 10, some anonymous reader sent in a letter asking why theres so many more Hondas being featured than S-Chassis Nissans.

420sxWETDREAMS

post up article!

Broadfield

Frank E Bones wrote:
Broadfield wrote:Uhhh, is there something I'm not aware of?
It's on page 10, some anonymous reader sent in a letter asking why theres so many more Hondas being featured than S-Chassis Nissans.
Well, I guess I can let the cat out of the bag. The reason they posted that is because my car will be featured again in Modified in the January 2011 issue. It will also be the cover car. Wait for it... it will also be joined by another vehicle on the cover and it will be a dual feature. The other vehicle will be my boy Damon's(SolaraOnBronze) black hatch. Should be a good feature! Very nice contrasting vehicles.

Frank E Bones

Kool s*** man. Cant wait for that issue to come out. Sorry for spilling the beans early though.

Broadfield

I'm not really able to post up any of the pics of the shoot that I took personally, but I can post up a behind the scenes shot:

Razi

My two favorite S13s on a photoshoot. <3

Taran14
Car: 1989 240sx hatch!

Amazing car broadfield! And i cant wait for that issue to come out! :biggrin:

angelscrx

Congrats man that's cool stuff. I have everyone of your threads as a favorite so I can keep track of all the things you are doing to your car.

m tr4nch
Car: RS13, Z31, P11

love your car man :bigthumb: that is a genius idea with the fender liners, i'm probably going to do that when i get my car on the road.
also thanks for the tip about the s14 brake line clips. i actually tried ordering the s13 ones a few years ago and they were discontinued back then too. i'll have to grab some s14's on my next nissan order.

i'll be checking back! :dblthumb:

Gabes13
Car: rb20det s13

Toby, how did you tuck the engine bay fuse boxes?

Broadfield

Gabes13 wrote:Toby, how did you tuck the engine bay fuse boxes?
The main fuse box is under the passenger side headlight. The other fuse box was disassembled and minimized down to two relays and tucked behind the drivers side fender. Since I have the Silvia front end, I had no need for all of the headlight motor relays that were in that drivers side fuse box.

Here are pics of the fuse box and the relays on the drivers side:

Broadfield

Well, I have been busy with my newborn daughter. And it's winter time here, so the 240 is in the garage unless I get a decent day to drive it. However, I won't drive it if there's a bunch of salt all over the road... which there usually is in this God forsaken state. I have been contemplating my big project for the 240 this winter. Originally I was going to pull everything out of the bay, then fill and shave the bay... along with a Chase Bays brake line tuck and booster delete that he gave me free of charge. Then of course paint it exterior color. However, because of my new born and the fact that there has been a lot of aero bumpers popping up for sale, I thought about doing K's aero instead. I have been trying to do the K's aero for almost 4 years now. I finally found one for sale last week and the seller was actually willing to ship. So I paid him instantly and was excited to say the least. However, I got a PM later that day stating he changed his mind and was refunding my money. Bummer! So I post about my bad luck with finding an aero bumper on my blog... probably the best move I have ever made. I got an onslaught of replies and support instantly. People emailing me aero bumpers for sale etc. Well today, I get a PM from a guy getting ready to put his mint aero bumper up for sale. He wanted to give me first dibs before he posted it. And the cool thing is, it's the cheapest aero bumper I have ever seen for sale in this good of condition. So I promptly paid for it and it should be in route tomorrow. :naughty: So now I guess it's time to find the Silvia skirts and valances.

Then Friday I got a wild hair up my a**. Which I usually get from time-to-time. V8 LS swap... Broadfield style :yesnod

Post your thoughts then I'll post my very good reasons of why I'm going to pursue it.

240sxHitman
Car: Boosted '91 240sx

Just wanna say once again I absolutely love your car. Also I made sure I picked up the issue of Modified Mag with your car featured. Both cars are you gorgeous.
Last edited by 240sxHitman on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

420sxWETDREAMS

So you decided to get aero kit? I know you were against it before and wanted to keep it stock looking, well I guess you know what you want to do and I know it will look great..........waiting.....waiting...

matt_240sx
Car: 1993 240sx Hatch

240sxHitman wrote:Just wanna once again I absolutely love your car. Also I made sure I picked up the issue of Modified Mag with your car featured. Both cars are you gorgeous.
THIS. I also got a copy of Modified mag, just for the beautiful cars that you and SolaraOnBronze have made. Both cars are an inspiration to me. Keep up the good work! :dblthumb:

Broadfield

420sxWETDREAMS wrote:So you decided to get aero kit? I know you were against it before and wanted to keep it stock looking, well I guess you know what you want to do and I know it will look great..........waiting.....waiting...
I never said I was against aero. I said I was against s*** fitting, aftermarket snow plow styled aero. Which rules out pretty much everything except for OEM aero. I have been looking for a K's aero bumper for four years now.

Razi

Stick with your S15 SR!
A properly done and nice looking one like yours is so rare to see, V8 swaps are everywhere now.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”