Wet sanding

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
menacekustoms
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

So, the guy I got my car from installed the JDM Nissan trunk badge on it. However, where the Infiniti badge left a raised edge, he wetsanded it. It is really hazy right now, and I can't seem to polish it. Any suggestions?

silpena
Car: Nis1993 san 240sx super hicas(wrecked)
soon to come to s-chasis

what did he wet sand it with? he probley could have cut through the clear. Usally those badges are put on from the factory while the paint is still soft. cured but soft. If he did sand over the clear then you might need to use a small amont og glazying filler nd feather it out and do a spot job. A little paint and reclear the whole trunk. If he didnt go through then u need to know what he used on it. polishers dont get rid of wet sanding imperfections just fine swirls, some light water spotting and light oxidation.

menacekustoms

He used 1500 grit sandpaper. What do I do? It's really unsightly.

menacekustoms

Well, I tried some 3M Rubbing Compound on the scratches. Wow! It did one hell of a job!

Before

After. I only did it by hand, and I only did it for about 5 minutes. I would probably do even better with some mechanical assistance.

silpena
Car: Nis1993 san 240sx super hicas(wrecked)
soon to come to s-chasis

thats good to hear. Yeah using mechanical buffing is better but your gonna want to use a dual oribiting polisher to polish then do it again by hand to get the perfect finish but it came out good. Still dont see why the wet sanded it and never finished it.

morsecode
Car: 2004 Infiniti I35

Good to hear that. You did a great job with it all by yourself.

menacekustoms

Thank you. It looks even better now that everything was clay barred and waxed. It's on it's way to looking like an Infiniti again. Next is my leather interior . . . Mmm, I can't wait for my Leatherique kit to get here from Autogeek.net.

Return to “Detailing Forum”