Welcome to the ORIGINAL Nissan Versa forum!

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Mudd
Car: 2007 Versa Hatchback SL

Yeh, sure. I understand. Now that you mention it, just what is sex? Seems to me I remember something about that from the 50's.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Your 50's or the 1950's?

Mudd
Car: 2007 Versa Hatchback SL

My fifties Sir. I would have blown my self away if I had gone that long............!

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Well, there is life (and action) after 50. Lord, I hope so as I will find out in about 9 years....

kaotical24
Car: 07 NISSAN VERSA SL

haha, old ppl rule, too bad i am too young

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

This thread is mildly depressing...

billyjoseph
Car: Versa

I'm new to the forum. Glad it's here! I'm going to buy a Versa in Spring '07. My bride will be driving it (in Wisconsin winters) so I want ABS. Local dealer told me I can't get ABS AND the "tech" package (Bluetooth, Intellikey). Don't know why not.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Glad you found us!
billyjoseph wrote:ILocal dealer told me I can't get ABS AND the "tech" package (Bluetooth, Intellikey). Don't know why not.
I noticed that when I was playing around with Versa configurations on the Nissan website. I can't figure that one out, either.

craigv
Car: 2007 Versa

I wasn't really paying attention (I had read that ABS wouldn't be offered at all so I wasn't expecting it), but I have the conv package, and supposedly also have ABS according to what the dealer or the VIN told my insurance company. Not sure though.

voltronguy
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Super Black

craigv wrote:I wasn't really paying attention (I had read that ABS wouldn't be offered at all so I wasn't expecting it), but I have the conv package, and supposedly also have ABS according to what the dealer or the VIN told my insurance company. Not sure though.
Do you still have the sticker from your car? ABS would be clearly marked on it as an option package. Do you know your MSRP? You can configure your car with and without ABS online and see if it matches your.

For a surefire test go out and start your car up. If you don't see some sort of ABS indicator light (check the manual for what it looks like) then you don't have it.

Good luck!

Kermee

craigv wrote:I wasn't really paying attention (I had read that ABS wouldn't be offered at all so I wasn't expecting it), but I have the conv package, and supposedly also have ABS according to what the dealer or the VIN told my insurance company. Not sure though.
I'm almost positive you don't have ABS. Of course, my sales person said ABS wasn't that big of a deal because it only works at 35 MPH and below on the Versa.

*Shrug*

Cheers,Kermee

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

That would be stupid for ABS to not work below 35 mph. ABS is intended for you to be able to control your car while braking. In the wet & snow is when it would work, and most likely you are going less than 35 mph.

Sahandman
Car: civic

abs is actually designed for people who dont know how to drive no offense. If youve ever done driving defence course while getting your drivers license you should have the knowledge and capability of stopping effectively on slippery roads. ABS can actually work against your safety in many cases.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Sahandman wrote:abs is actually designed for people who dont know how to drive no offense. If youve ever done driving defence course while getting your drivers license you should have the knowledge and capability of stopping effectively on slippery roads. ABS can actually work against your safety in many cases.
Yes, ABS slows your stopping distance on dry pavement. Not really a big deal if you're following your training and keeping distance and leaving yourself an out. It does, however, keep you from sliding around as much in inclement weather.

But skill isn't everything. Even the most skilled drivers are, at the very core, human and fallible. If you let the computer do the work rather than relying on a human, you'll get a more predictable result.

craigv

I'm
Kermee wrote:
I'm almost positive you don't have ABS. Of course, my sales person said ABS wasn't that big of a deal because it only works at 35 MPH and below on the Versa.

*Shrug*

Cheers,Kermee
I'm fairly certian I don't have it too. It's not on the window sticker, which was the only place I really looked for it. I asked the salesman, and he said it did, and since I didn't care, I didn't really get into it. I'll have to look at the dash lights when I start it next time. All I know is that I'm getting the discount for ABS with the insurance company.

voltronguy

craigv wrote: All I know is that I'm getting the discount for ABS with the insurance company.
A word of caution. Depending on how suspicious your insurance company is you might run into problems if you ever get into an accident. If they find out you don't have ABS, but perhaps get into some kind of accident that could be prevented with ABS it might be enough to deny a claim. Not sure if this would ever actually happen, just something to think about.

craigv

voltronguy wrote:
A word of caution. Depending on how suspicious your insurance company is you might run into problems if you ever get into an accident. If they find out you don't have ABS, but perhaps get into some kind of accident that could be prevented with ABS it might be enough to deny a claim. Not sure if this would ever actually happen, just something to think about.
I did think about that actually. Their records show the info came from Nissan, not me, so I could argue it (though probably not successfully) but I may let them know anyway. I doubt it makes that big a difference on my premium.

jpversa

XterraVersa wrote: That would be stupid for ABS to not work below 35 mph. ABS is intended for you to be able to control your car while braking. In the wet & snow is when it would work, and most likely you are going less than 35 mph.
actually ABS is used best on dry pavement. it performs worse in the snow because it prevents the wheels from locking, which would give the tires a better grip in the snow.

ilusha55

jpversa wrote:
actually ABS is used best on dry pavement. it performs worse in the snow because it prevents the wheels from locking, which would give the tires a better grip in the snow.

its the opposite, mate

jpversa

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/vrtc/ca/lvabs.htm

"The ABS were evaluated across a broad and comprehensive range of driving maneuvers with respect to vehicle speeds, vehicle loading conditions, road surfaces (adhesion and texture), steer angles, split mu’s, transition surfaces, etc. This involved testing many maneuvers for each ABS design. The focus was to find situations in which there are gross differences in vehicle performance due to the presence/absence of ABS. For example, ABS-equipped vehicles are known to have poorer performance on gravel and snow."

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Locking the brakes is never good. Ever.Locked brakes mean skidding tires, which means loss of traction, which of course means less effective braking.

I would venture to guess that the reason ABS-equipped cars do poorer in gravel and snow and other slick conditions is that the ABS is fighting too hard to prevent slipping, which causes braking performance to suffer.

jpversa

"You should allow for a longer stopping distance with ABS than for conventional brakes when driving on gravel, slush, and snow. This is because the rotating tire will stay on top of this low traction road surface covering, and effectively "float" on this boundary layer.

A non ABS braked vehicle can lock its tires and create a snow plow effect in front of the tires which helps slow the vehicle. These locked tires can often find more traction below this boundary layer."

You're right, locking the brakes give you less control over the steering of the car, but when it comes to pure stopping power in low traction surfaces, ABS will do you more harm than good.

electech
Car: '02 Explorer Limited, '03 Escape Limited, '07 Versa SL HB CVT, Convenience group, splash guards, flo

On pavement, the main reason for the sometimes increased stopping distances of ABS is because a lot of people will let up on the brake pedal when they feel it pulsing or when they fear locking the tires down. It is a hard habit to break. But, I know of at least two accidents I avoided by having ABS because of the sudden and hard application of brakes and abrupt, evasive manuvers I had to make. I will take ABS most any time but I don't have it on the Versa. I have already found out the limits of the little tires on the V and it is pretty low!!

BenDupre
Car: 2007 Versa SL w/CVT, 2006 Quest 3.5

you guys are obsessed over a CAR!

edit: My 10yo daughter is having fun. She's been teasing me about reading the car forums. Her and I are going to have a talk now.

Ben
Modified by BenDupre at 9:35 PM 9/12/2006

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

BenDupre wrote:you guys are obsessed over a CAR!
Yes. Yes we are.

ilusha55

[QUOTE]

For example, ABS-equipped vehicles are known to have poorer performance on gravel and snow." [QUOTE]."

yes but ABS prevents from unlocking wheels so in result it helps to avoid obstacles which is the reason one would brake. You just made it sound like abs was something to avoid in the snow...

audtatious

Looks like someone should create a abs thread instead of discussing in the welcome thread.

ilusha55

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Well, I finally actually got to sit in a Versa (no test drive unfortunately...I could have but didn't have time). I had to drop off the '04 Maxima for some minor work (paint on the inner part of the flying buttresses is flaking off, and the stupid Bose system is a crap shoot if it'll work or not--I HATE BOSE!) and I noticed a blue Versa sitting on the lot.Anyway, a lot monkey saw me checking it out. I told him about NICO and NissanVersa.org and how popular the car was here, and he unlocked it for me. He knew a lot less about the car than I did (I told him It was too bad they didn't have a CVT Versa on the lot because I was interested in test driving one--he asked me what the heck a CVT was) but then he wasn't a salesman, either.

A few thoughts that went through my mind as I was checking it out:

--Bigger than I expected to be inside. (Still too small for me, though...but I've been feeling that way about my '93 Maxima lately, too).--I liked the layout of the dash.--I'm not a fan of the highchair seating (I prefer my Maxima's on-the-floor seats), but it did have plenty of leg and head room for my 6'4" of lankiness. Seat was comfortable (I actually liked it better than the seats in the '04 Maxima since they lack the irritating "XTREME Lumbar Support!!!" that I hate so much).--I LOVE the small triangular windows at the front of the front doors. The pillar-mounted side mirrors look kind of goofy, but I'd say the windows are worth the tradeoff.--The shifter for the 6 speed is in a good location, right where my hand rests naturally. Not like my old Ford for which the odd ("away") gears were out of reach and the even ("nearer") gears were in the passenger's lap.--The dark blue paint looks good in person. It's a great color.--The headlights are HUGE! (I already knew that, but seeing them in person, I realized just how huge.)--Instrument panel is too low (shroud blocks the tops of the dials from my height. Of course the seat was also too far forward and I didn't slide it back to where I'd be sitting, which would probably have fixed it.)

Overall I liked the car. It was comfortable, felt a lot bigger than many of the alternatives (a HUGE plus in my book) and it had enough little "hey, that's nice" features and items that it stands out.

I told the lotmonkey I really wanted to drive an '07 Maxima with CVT to see if I like it as much as my dad's '04 (the one I was dropping off for service) but he didn't get the hint. That's okay. The '04 is better looking, and there's no way the CVT is more fun than the 5 speed manumatic. I just wanted to see where the CVT kept the revs...

voltronguy

MinisterofDOOM wrote:--The headlights are HUGE! (I already knew that, but seeing them in person, I realized just how huge.)
I'll tell you what, those headlights rock. They are really bright and have a very wide and tall path. I feel like my Taurus uses two candles after I've been driving the wife's Versa!

Return to “Versa General Chat”