Welcome to the EX35 Forum, introduce yourself...

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
schaffs04
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD Premium. Blue Slate/Wheat

Hey everyone!

I've just purchased a 2008 EX35 Journey AWD with about 81K on it, and it was mostly a whim. I've run the gamut of cars in adulthood; my first car out of college was a 4 year old I30, which led to a 2006 G35. It was RWD and I live in Minnesota, so that gave way to a Mazda 3 (FWD and lower cost per mile for a longer commute) then a leased 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer SE AWD. Every time we looked at a new car, the G, M, and FX were on the list and always seemed to get beat out. Then, things got real.

I bought my dream car, a 2011 Mercedes GL450 in spring of 2015. About 50K on it, loaded to the gills, good price. Wanted one since I was 8.

Fast forward less than a year (and 5K+ of repairs to said Mercedes) and I dumped it for a hemorrhaging loss. We went to 1 car for a while, then my wife suggested the EX and the same day we bought it. When it came out in 2008 I thought it was crazy ugly, but it seems to have improved with time.

Its had one owner, and has been maintained with almost religious fanaticism by the dealer since new. The prior owner put new pads and rotors on all 4 corners, along with a new set of Yokahama Avid's before trading it in on an Audi. We bought it for a steal of a price, and the dealership is currently replacing the leaking steering rack and the battery that tested weak charge- at their cost.

Anything else I need to be on the look out for? I look forward to dropping in, helping as I can, and hopefully spending less time searching for solutions to problems than I did with the GL.

Best,
Schaffs

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Welcome to the forum.

I have a 2008 and also had my steering rack recently replaced due to a leak. My independent mechanic recommended to use an OEM replacement rack , as he wasn't sold on the quality of aftermarket racks.

I would say that there aren't that many common problems with these cars, as the issues that come about tend to be a bit more random and can sometimes be costly to fix ( though maybe not as bad as your Mercedes). Dealerships can be a mixed bag from what I've seen here, so that's one thing that could potentially make or break your ownership experience.

We look forward to your participation here and please share a pic or two of your vehicle.

Jjpwood
Car: 2008 ex35

Hi,
My name is JJ and I'm new to this forum or any forum relating to cars/trucks. I''m female and typically my brother helps out in this subject.

I have a 2008 ex35 trunk cover which I believe will fit the models up to 2010, IDK. Anyways, my car was totaled but I walked away with my trunk cover and manual. I'm not sure where to post this information. Someone help me, I feel like I'm in a foreign country,

Many thanks,
JJ

Buds78
Car: 2007 G35 S, 2010 EX 35 Journey

Good day. I hope I'm posting this in the right place but I'm pretty concerned and looking for some reassurance or advice. I just put a down payment on a 2010 EX 35 Journey 55,000 miles at a local dealership (not an Infiniti dealer). The car had a clean Carfax report only a minor rear bumper collision shortly after original purchase back in 2010. No evidence of that inside or out. The car looks and drives great, the only issue I noticed was the airbag light in the instrument cluster was flashing. The dealer said he would fix it but it's been 3 days of broken promises. I will take it to an Infiniti dealer to have the system tested before I move forward. Not the reason for this post.
Here is my main concern. Literally the day after making the downpayment on the EX my 07 G35 (same engine) put out a code - Bank 1 exhaust timing control assy! This is costing me big $$$ (at a reputable Infiniti dealer) to fix. I decided to do both sides to make sure the other side doesn't fail on the ride home (that's what usually happens when I try to save a few bucks). I've already been through the nightmare and expense of the cam cover gaskets failing. The G35 has 135,000 miles on it. Am I headed down the same road buying the EX with the 3.5 engine. I don't see the same threads about these kind of problems here with the EX although we are talking about three years and about 80,000 miles difference. Are there other reasons the EX seems to be a more dependable choice? I usually drive my cars until the wheels are ready to fall off. I had a 96 maxima with 365,000 before I retired it. I take good care of my vehicles and do the routine maintenance when it's due. So can I expect to get longevity out of these cars with this engine? I'm considering backing out of this deal but my wife really likes the car and overall it is a lot nicer than everything else we looked at in the same price range. I would just like to know if I can expect it and my bank account to last for a good long time? Any help will be appreciated.

NJGuy

Buds78 wrote: Here is my main concern. Literally the day after making the downpayment on the EX my 07 G35 (same engine) put out a code - Bank 1 exhaust timing control assy! This is costing me big $$$ (at a reputable Infiniti dealer) to fix. I decided to do both sides to make sure the other side doesn't fail on the ride home (that's what usually happens when I try to save a few bucks). I've already been through the nightmare and expense of the cam cover gaskets failing. The G35 has 135,000 miles on it. Am I headed down the same road buying the EX with the 3.5 engine. I don't see the same threads about these kind of problems here with the EX although we are talking about three years and about 80,000 miles difference. Are there other reasons the EX seems to be a more dependable choice? I usually drive my cars until the wheels are ready to fall off. I had a 96 maxima with 365,000 before I retired it. I take good care of my vehicles and do the routine maintenance when it's due. So can I expect to get longevity out of these cars with this engine? I'm considering backing out of this deal but my wife really likes the car and overall it is a lot nicer than everything else we looked at in the same price range. I would just like to know if I can expect it and my bank account to last for a good long time? Any help will be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum.

Your G37 and EX use pretty much the same engine (VQ35HR). However, we won't know the difference in reliability as your EX engine ages since Nissan may have implemented some minor design changes in those three years. From what I've seen on this forum, the engines in the EX in general seem to be reliable, and that the issues that do pop up tend to be a bit more random. But then again, I believe most of the members here haven't quite reached 100K on their vehicles. If you want more information on the relibility of this engine, I would say to check out forums that cover the G35. Those models are much more prevalent, and the forums have a lot more activity.

My EX had developed a bad throttle body at around 95K. I also noticed a faint weeping of oil at the timing cover gasket, which is one of the more common issues on this engine. I believe that the gasket was redesigned though on later models.

I don't think you can compare these Infinitis to the '96 Maxima that you had from a reliability and cost perspective. That generation of Maximas was known for being long lasting cars. The big 3 Japanese automakers were near the top of their game in the mid 90's when it came to designing and manufacturing reliable cars. Nowadays, I don't believe you'll find Infiniti hovering near the top of any reliability rankings. Also keep in mind that while it's possible to keep a late model Infiniti going over 300K, I think it would cost a pretty penny. These cars are more complex than what was on the market 20 years ago; and repairs on Infiniti's do tend to be somewhat expensive, so at some point before that mileage mark you'd have to decide when it's not worth fixing something. If long term reliability and longevity is at the top of anyone's list for vehicle attributes, a Lexus or Toyota would probably be the best choice.

With all that being said and the problems I've encountered, I've got over 111K on my EX and I still like it. And I'm hoping for many more miles of trouble free ownership (knock on wood).

Buds78
Car: 2007 G35 S, 2010 EX 35 Journey

Thanks NJGuy. Glad to know your 08 has been good to you. I agree with your assessment although we owned a Camry that we had quite a few problems with including a transmi$$ion but that was many years ago. The dealer is still working the air bag light which if it's not done today I'll take that as a sign I need to start shopping again. My wife will not be putting a lot of miles on the EX since she works from home. If we can get another 60,000 or better out of the EX without anything major I'd be happy. I got the G35 back from the dealer today and my plan is to drive it until the next hiccup an then it may be time to trad it in. I'm hoping that won't be for a long time yet. (now I'm knocking)!

Infiniti4infiniti
Car: EX35/G37S Sedan

08' EX35 RWD. Black on black. Looking to put 20x9's all the way around. Any one else done this?

itinifniinfiniti
Car: 2015 QX50

Traded in wife's Mini Cooper for a 2015 QX50 fully loaded in platinum ice. Darn thing goes pretty good! :chuckle:
Scott

robbiedigital

Hey everyone,

Just saying Hi!! Rob here, from Toronto Canada. Have been an old G sedan owner for some time, but just purchased a 2010 EX35 yesterday.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely sure of the model, though I think it's a Journey with tech package, but no Nav. In any case, I got it for a great price and low Kms for the model year.

Excited to be the owner of another Infiniti, and looking forward to learning a lot from this forum.

Cheers.

insaned

Hi all,

Im about to get a QX50 deal and hopw this forum hekos on tips. Thanks

pirho451
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey

Hi, I'm Jonathan. Just bought an 08 EX35 RWD (Journey, Premium, Nav, and Luxe style packages) a couple of weeks ago. Bought it from the original owner with 123k on it, but it's been very well maintained and looks and drives like new, even smells new. I plan on doing most of the wrenching on it myself.

radagast

Mark here, Looking to buy a new QX50 later this week, just looking for current owner comments, likes, dislikes, pros and cons. Thanks!

exnoob
Car: EX37

James here. Just bought an EX37 and love it. I've been looking around this forum and see that folks are really nice and helpful. Thanks for the great forum!

Bocatrip

I've been a member of Niccoclub.com since 2007 as I currently own a 2006 G35 sedan and sold my 2004 G35 Coupe almost 3 years ago. Both cars were purchased new. I am now in the market for a 2017 QX50 and wanted to get as much info as to what the older EX owners have experienced with regards to repairs and what if any new car owners of the 2017 QX50 are experiencing now. I know that not all Infiniti models are created equal and I have chosen this model because of the similarities to the G37 sedan/G35 sedan which brought Infiniti's popularity back and have been proven to be the more reliable of the product line.

sherwooa
Car: 2012 BMW E92 M3
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT (sold)
2008 EX35 AWD Journey
2011 Nissan Murano SL

Hi all. Have owned an '04 G35 Coupe 6MT since new (I frequent G35driver), have a 2011 Nissan Murano SL AWD bought new for my wife, and just picked up a 2008 EX35 AWD Journey w/82K on it for my daughter who is just getting her driver's license. Got a really good deal on it too. Never thought much about the EX when it came out, but during my search for my daughter it ticked all the boxes - top IIHS safety pick, reliable and loaded with features. And I guess you could say I've been a fan of the VQ engines over the years ;-)

2infiniti-and-beyond
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Hey everyone! Proud new owner of a 2008 blue slate ex35. Absolutely loving this car. Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Sanjay28

Hello all...my first post as a new member. In the past, I've owned a G20, I30 and QX4, but I don't have an Infiniti currently. I'm hoping to change that. Unfortunately, the Infiniti isn't for me; it's for my 17 yo daughter who just got her license. As a new driver, I want something safe and reliable for her and a little "fancy" is an added bonus. I really like the EX35/37.

Having owned Infinitis in the past, I know how good these cars are, but I don't know much about the EX other than the reviews I've read on-line. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look (out) for? Or what, if any, years are better than others? I'm looking to spend around $10k but can go up a little if necessary. I would like as many options as possible, but due to my budget, I understand that I may not get everything. All suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance.

NJGuy

I know that in the end it'll be your decision, but I don't think the EX is an ideal car for a new driver. While the car did do well in crash tests, there are a few things it has that I think aren't good for new drivers.

First of all, the car is quite powerful, though that might not be much of an issue if you know your daughter is responsible. The other thing that might not make the EX friendly to new drivers is the visibility from the driver's seat. The A-pillars seem to block a good portion of the view up front, and you can't see much at all out of the rear corners of the vehicle. I know in general lots of cars seem to lose visibility as they keep getting redesigned, so the EX might not be alone in this regard.

If my daughter was about to start driving and I had about $10K to spend, I'd probably get her a Subaru Forester or a Honda CR-V. Both cars are reliable, have a modest amount of power, and rate well in crash testing. Also, both the Forester and CR-V seem to have a seating height that Goldilocks would describe as "just right". Subaru has the EyeSight safety system and Honda has a suite of safety features like "lane watch"; but it might be hard to find vehicles equipped with these systems within a $10K budget. From a safety perspective, I'd lean towards the Subaru because their cars typically have the best visibility for the driver when compared to other makes. From a reliability prespective, I'd lean towards the Honda. For what you get in terms of safety though, you give up a quite a bit of "fanciness" when comparing these two models to an EX.

If you do end up choosing the EX, I'd recommend that you get one equipped with an around view camera. While it won't be of any help on the highway during a lane change, the camera does help to prevent low speed parking accidents. I've found that visibility in the rear is improved when you remove the head restraints from the back seats. If you think your daughter will be doing plenty of driving at night on unlit roads, I'd also recommend to either get a model equipped with HID headlamps, or to upgrade the halogen lamps to HID ones. According to Consumer Reports,the '08 and '09 models in general were pretty reliable, while the '10 model didn't seem to be quite as good. Depending on the options, mileage, and condition, it looks like those three model years could fit within your price range.

If you have the time, I'd say to go and check out the vehicles. Take them out on test drives to see how they feel. While we can write lots about our experiences with our cars, driving them yourself will give you a much better picture.

XFordMan
Car: 2010 Infinity EX 35

Hello from Marietta, GA. I've been a van and SUV guy for many years and most recently traded my 1998 Expedition for a 2010 EX35 Journey in the summer of 2015. There are a lot of gizmos and gadgets on this car compared to my older Expy, and I find it somewhat luxurious for a small car. It is fun to drive and gets a lot better fuel economy.

I was wondering if this would be a place to find out a few minor things about this car. I am not interested in posting pics of my stock vehicle and I'm not into add-ons and such. I'm too old for that now. Maybe when I had my 240Z many, many years ago...

I'm specifically interested in getting a second key. The dealer I bought from only got one from the previous owner. I'm thinking this may be an expensive item. I'm not sure about the claims on eBay and Amazon for this. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm sure there is programming, as well. Can any of that be done DIY or is a locksmith or the dealer required?

Also, recently the driver's window switch has lot the ability to raise the window with just the one push of the button. I must hold it to get the window to go all the way up. A minor inconvenience, but I liked it when I had it.

Lastly, the rear hatch piston supports don't raise the hatch like they should. Is there a reasonable source for a new pair of these?

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

Gary01

my drivers side window did the same thing about a month ago.

XFordMan

Gary01 - I used to live in Miami and I think everyone's dash does that!

NJGuy

XFordMan wrote: I'm specifically interested in getting a second key. The dealer I bought from only got one from the previous owner. I'm thinking this may be an expensive item. I'm not sure about the claims on eBay and Amazon for this. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm sure there is programming, as well. Can any of that be done DIY or is a locksmith or the dealer required?
When I first got the car, I just ended up buying a new key from the dealership and ended up getting it programmed there. Cost me $220 5 1/2 years ago. It looks like you cannot DIY the key programming and would have to go with a dealership or locksmith.
See here:
smart-key-programming-t575380.html
anyone-know-how-to-program-a-new-intell ... 02366.html
http://g35driver.com/forums/southern-ca ... t-key.html
XFordMan wrote: Also, recently the driver's window switch has lot the ability to raise the window with just the one push of the button. I must hold it to get the window to go all the way up. A minor inconvenience, but I liked it when I had it.
You should be able to reprogram the driver side window yourself. Try holding the window switch down when lowering the window. When it's open all the way, don't let off the switch. Instead, keep the switch held down for about 10 seconds. Then, hold the switch up in the close position to close the window. When it's fully closed, keep the switch held up for another 10 seconds. After you let it go, it might take another 10-20 seconds for the programming to kick in before the window switch function is restored. At that time, test it out to see if it works.
XFordMan wrote: Lastly, the rear hatch piston supports don't raise the hatch like they should. Is there a reasonable source for a new pair of these?
The rear hatch struts are a common issue on this car. Mine have been like that ever since I got the car, and as expected they get quite weak in colder weather. The OEM struts I believe are made by Stabilus/Sachs. The only other brand I've seen is the Strongarm/Lift Supports Depot, part number PM3245.
https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/shopb ... ity-4door/
https://www.amazon.com/Infiniti-Liftgat ... 01DXI5A7S/

Gary01

Hi NJ Guy. Your fix for the driver's side window not going down on one click worked PERFECT!. I thought the switch or something else went bad. Thanks so much for that valuable information!!!

LochDhueDude
Car: 2011 EX35 Journey AWD

Looking forward to reading all the articles, especially the historic info. Datsun 510 and BMW 1600 street racer way back in the day. Z-car coveter. Skyline fan.

XFordMan

Not sure if this is right, so I'll apologize to NJGuy in advance if it isn't, but your suggestion to fix my driver's side window problem was a success. Thanks!

NJGuy

Gary01 wrote:Hi NJ Guy. Your fix for the driver's side not going down on one click worked PERFECT!. I thought the switch or something else went bad. Thanks so much for that valuable information!!!
XFordMan wrote:Not sure if this is right, so I'll apologize to NJGuy in advance if it isn't, but your suggestion to fix my driver's side window problem was a success. Thanks!
No problem guys. Cars nowadays have so many features in them, it's hard to keep track or make use of all of them. Heck, I just recently discovered two previously unused features in my EX, even after owning the car for 5 1/2 years.

Oddly enough, the auto-up function on my driver side window stopped working the other day for some strange reason. So like you guys I had to perform the reset procedure.

Glenn-BoB
Car: 2013 Infinity EX37

Hi Everyone. I'm from Halifax, Canada. Mostly just read the site. I'll chime in when I have something to write about.

Just curious, why isn't there any mention of the EX37 and QX50 in the "search this forum" menu?

Jon2010EX35
Car: 2010 EX35 RWD

Hi from San Diego. I've had my 2010 EX35 about 4 years now. So far it's been great. Only 40k miles. Zero issues. Good pickup. Hauls all my dive gear and such. Finally got around to tinting the windows. Huge improvement in comfort and styling. Might drop it an inch or so to tighten it up, and looks. No other mods planned (I have another car with that stuff), unless it can be chipped, or maybe an LSD. The rear breaks loose too easily.

EX35WinterBeater
Car: Summer: 2003 Honda S2000
Winter: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Hi all, from Calgary, Alberta here. I sold my Subaru a few weeks back and am buying an 08 EX35 this weekend as my winter car. It'll be paired with my s2000 in the garage. Can't wait, now I need to do some research to find a nice exhaust for the EX35.

CRLEX
Car: Infiniti EX35

Hello, I'm from Toronto and I own a 2012 EX35 journey for the last 2 years. I love the car, no mods just small cosmetic like removing the model designation in the back.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”