Way to start a new year

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Pictures will follow, but I got the Honda pistons for just under $500 and they fit precisely. I've ordered some rods for these engines as I want these to be built my way which is the correct way. No short cuts, no more trials and I have very little room for error seeing the kind of coin I've dumped into these projects. The goal, is to build a solid CA20DET without all the worries and all the unnecessary secrets associated with building these things over the years. I will definitely test them on my own platforms as well and they will be tuned via standalone, so I will be learning something as I'm tuning. Building one is okay, but building two at the same time is a bit difficult as I have other obligations including my own cars that I am semi-neglecting. Again, pics will follow when I finish filing the top rings down a bit (.0003") and that will be some time this evening.

kahlistrophic777
Car: sebtra b13

looking good man

Izento
Car: RPS13

You just made me look up how to file piston rings, as it sounded like some really inaccurate stuff to do to internal engine components, lol. The more you know! Now if only I had the balls to rebuild my engine.....and the room!

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Heck, I'm struggling for the space to be able to this as well :ohno: . The good things is, both cranks are at the machine shop getting modifications done to their noses to enusre compatibility to the CA18's components as well as ensuring that they do not strip the crankshaft key and cause a catastrophic disaster. So that is one of my hold-ups and I don't want to rush the machinist that is handling these tasks. The pistons have been purchased and the rods have been ordered for both engines to the tune of about $1400. So this is not just a build, but a reliable engine that will be able to handle some serious power.

I will start on the oil squirter modifications for both blocks when i get through with the projects I'm working on for other members. I will get this done soon and will stand by my word by sharing whatever I did to these things (no secrets). As for the timing belt, I think I'm on to something, but I want to assemble an engine first to confirm as both of my idler mods are in slightly different locations, so I want to see what effect that will have on timing belt selection. Feel free to chime in guys :werd:

MeanGreenS13
Car: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

Going to have to subscribe to this... Looking forward to the progress Dee!

Hope all is well man!

boost_boy

What's up man? I have not abandoned this project at all. For those that are interested, I've had custom rods made for both engines, have the Honda CR-V pristons for both engines, made some modifications to both blocks and am now patiently waiting on the machine shop to modify the cranks (the correct way). There will be a compreshensive and detailed step-by-step write-up on this thing, so that there will be a non-secretive formula for building an upgraded big block CA series motor at you guys' disposal. Just have other priorities that people pay good coin for that requires all of my attention, so this gets the backseat for now. As soon as I get the cranks back, I'll commence with photos and narratives :bs:

MeanGreenS13
Car: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

boost_boy wrote:What's up man? I have not abandoned this project at all. For those that are interested, I've had custom rods made for both engines, have the Honda CR-V pristons for both engines, made some modifications to both blocks and am now patiently waiting on the machine shop to modify the cranks (the correct way). There will be a compreshensive and detailed step-by-step write-up on this thing, so that there will be a non-secretive formula for building an upgraded big block CA series motor at you guys' disposal. Just have other priorities that people pay good coin for that requires all of my attention, so this gets the backseat for now. As soon as I get the cranks back, I'll commence with photos and narratives :bs:
All good brother! Can't wait to see how this thing turns out. Been pre-occupied and and hadn't popped in here in a while. I got a nice granny driven 13 sitting in my shop right now that I am unsure of my direction yet so it's just sitting under a cover. This has definitely peeked my interest though and I can not wait to see how it goes. I miss my CA even though I never really got to give it the full love it deserved due to personal issues at the time. Glad to see so much love and experimentation with the CA still going strong. Such a sick little motor!

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”