Wax after Rubbing Compound?

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
mossman77

I have been using a rubbing compound on my cars to remove fine scratches, oxidation, etc. Do I need to apply a wax after application, or is it ok to leave it as-is? If I do need to wax, do I need to do so immediately, or can I wait a day or so if necessary?

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

If you value your paint apply wax after polishing.

Thorshammer
Car: FX35

Rubbing compound may be too aggressive for fine scratches.I think you would benefit from polishing and then waxing.

True polish is abrasive enough. It will cut much slower than rubbing compound with a much finer abrasive.

Too much abrasive friction is damaging to the paint, you should use them spareingly.

TexRodeo
Car: 2018 Nissan Altima SR Special Edition Sedan
82k miles

I must say after Using some of the "Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound" and "Mother's California Gold Carnauba Wax" rights afterward on 1993 Infiniti J30 [WK0-Artic White Pearlglow] a couple of days ago, It really brightened up the white and brought back a good bit of the pearl sheen to the finish. I attempted this after seeking advice to try to alleviate some of the many small scratches in certain places on the body. This was the first time that I had taken this risk since purchasing the vehicle in September 2008, But I am Not sorry for doing this at all, trust me!!! Although these scratches aren't as prevalent unless one stands right up close to the car and really nit-picks it, but from a distance this car is still quite gorgeous for a car that just turned 20 years old {manufacture date: 12/92] this past December. So I guess for a, Now Classic Vehicle with the original Nissan/Infiniti Pearl Paint and only 137k original miles on the clock, she is still quite the stunner and mechanically still purrs like a kitten with very little repairs and normal maintenance.

I also did this same treatment to my roomie's 2002 Chrysler Sebring Limited Convertible [B2/YB2-Sterling Blue Satin Glow] which also has a Pearl coat in the paint finish as My J30. I had equally spectacular results with the Compound and Carnauba Wax.

So to stay on subject Rubbing Compound, Carnauba Wax and a Good Bit of Elbow Grease....She is really brought back to a wonderful shine. I would say It is well worth trying it, In my humble opinion.

Larry

Return to “Detailing Forum”