Wat Kind Of Fuel Pump ???

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

In all actuality the 255Lph is massive overkill for 90% of the SR/CA swaps. That thing holds nearly 500 hp before it cant pump enough juice. The 190Lph pump, possibly the 307, has a 425 hp rating and is a bit cheaper.

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Yes, that would be the 307. The guy that owns the shop to the link I posted previously went 10.75@126mph on a single Walbro 307 with a hot wire kit in a Buick T-Type.

For those building over 500hp SR's or CA's, be sure to look at that double pumper system. I don't know if it would work or not, but it sure flows a hell of a lot of fuel!

ennui
Car: Cars, computers & snowboarding

OK OK . . . I've heard you guys talk a lot about how you can run lotsa boost and even NOS and still be safe so long as you are properly tuned and have enough fuel . . . so to sum all this up, the options for tuning my car are as follows:

1.) Send in my ECU to JWT or some other ECU tuning company, tell them my mods, and have them burn my chip.- advantage of all applicable ECU tables will be tweaked- disadvantage of a slightly less aggressive tune due to conservative values

2.) Use the APEX`i S-AFC or some other fuel computer (is a unit such as this commonly refferred to as a 'fuel management system/unit' as well? They also appear to inculude FMUs . . . or everything listed here?) to massage the values taken by the MAP sensor before they reach the ECU.- advantage of ??- disadvantage of using only one sensor so that some mitigating factors maybe left out and a slower throttle response due to static fuel pressure

3.) Use a Vortech FMU or some other FMU to coordinate the fuel pressure to the injectors to correspond correctly to boost level.- advantage of quick throttle response due to instantaneous fuel pressure reuglation- disadvantage of ??

4.) Throwing in a full blown replacement for the ECU such as an APEX`i Power FC or a Haltech.- advantage of using all of the ECUs tables to make the best fuel management decisions- disadvantage of price (and decreased throttle response?)

5.) Take your car to a shop and have a professional reprogram your ECU on the dyno for optimal results.- advantage of using all of the ECUs tables to make the best fuel management decisions barring the exception that you take your wheels to a shop that doesn't know what their doing- disadvantage of price?

Are there more options? Where am I mistaken? Where am I correct? It seems to me like everyone would choose the $175 FMU over the $300 S-AFC. Tuning my engine is something I really look forward to and I'll prolly end up going with a full-blown #4 option . . . cause I'm a nerd like that. :D I like the idea of being able to switch my car from 'cruisin' to 'performance' at the push of a button, thus making my engine last that many more miles/years. Are there any standalone systems that allow you to copy your program and share with others via the 'net? or that, better yet, allow you to re-write to your ECU and others'?

Daunttless

Few changes:

1: Correct

2: Advantage of 2D manipulation of the fuel maps with the ability to control larger injectors and MAFs.

3: Same advantage as the Apexi, disadvantage of its not as nice.

4: The Power FC is a piggy back system, like an AFC but better. The haltech completely replaces your ECU, allowing you full customization of EVERYTHING, standalone is hands down the best management as it allows you control over ever variable. Disadvantage of wiring, price, and finding someone to tune it. There also is no decreased throttle response, its better than anything else, and will improve your throttle response, a vortech won't improve your throttle response as much as a nicer apexi, even nicer tec ii, or even nicer standalone like a haltech/motec.

5: Not possible, unless you are talking about taking a Haltech to a shop to have someone tune it. You can't just take your stock ECU down to the local dyno and have it manipulated, people like JWT are the only ones who can do it becuase you have to crack the code, you can have standalones programmed at a variety of places.

As far as sharing maps, you can only do that with standalones, and things like Haltech support it. There are exceptions, like the Hondata, which is basically a cheaper haltech thats set to plug straight into a hondas wiring harness, where as a haltech could be used on anything. : )

I would take an Apexi S-AFC over a Vortech any day of the week.

hurddawg
Car: anything with 4 wheels.

doesn't most standalones have problem with smooth idles? Could a standalone control the stock idle control system? if it could, how would you know what Volts to apply to the sensors? guess & dyno?

no one's mentioned AEM. Has anyone heard anything good about it? still realtively new however...

Daunttless

Most standalones have problems with smooth idle because when you put a standalone on your car you've highly modified it for the most part. : ) Thats the only reason thats associated, it just depends on your tuning ability as well. It is difficult to get the idle worked out, but as soon as you do you're good to go.

sapix

hurddawg wrote:...no one's mentioned AEM. Has anyone heard anything good about it? still realtively new however...

AEM doesn't make their EMS for the 240SX yet, if ever; I doubt they will ever make one for the SR20DET. From what I've heard AEM has all the advantages of Standalones, but with a better price and its plug and play, no nasty wiring to do.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

hurddawg
Car: anything with 4 wheels.

sapix wrote:AEM doesn't make their EMS for the 240SX yet, if ever; I doubt they will ever make one for the SR20DET. From what I've heard AEM has all the advantages of Standalones, but with a better price and its plug and play, no nasty wiring to do.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

AEM has a true standalone available too. Its the race-version. Just like the Haltech or any other standalone, the race-version of the AEM has no deafult maps, as in not PnP...you have to do everything. The race-version includes a universal harness so you can plug-in the "engine".

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”