VQ35HR vs. VQ35DE

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
ChanceWarren
Car: '07 350Z Base

I need help here...

Are there any dimensional or mechanical differences between these two engines that would prevent someone from installing a stroker kit like, say, for instance, this one...

http://www.briancrower.com/view.php?pn=BC0225

...on an HR even though they are advertising it to only fit the DE?

Y'know, I'm a little dissillusioned by the latest Z model and it's HR engine... Are the two really that drastically different that there's so little support for aftermarket parts? I mean, intake and exhaust seems to be the only thing out there for the HR, according to part descriptions on all the leading manufacturers websites. Maybe I'm still too new at this but seriously... this thing's been around for two years. The '08 STI already has entire sites dedicated to it...

BippuBoss

well yea ok i can clear some stuff up about your problem. When the VQ set up was introduced it was a sweet set up and something that nissan could call a sportscar. It had good HP and performed well. The HR engine means high revving. There were rumors about it having an oil problem. but nothing came out from nissan that it was true. I would say if you have an HR get your oil replaced with some good oil, maybe not Mobil1 I have been hearing a lot of problems with that particular one, as its not meant for track use. The HR is still a relatively new set up and development IS running behind. Greddy came out with a TT set up, HKS has their street legal supercharger coming out. Some stuff is coming out slowly. I would say brian crower is a good company for your stroker kit. Just be careful, putting a stroker kit may mean porting and polishing, and could run you some money.

My wife has the '07 350Z base and it's running fine so far. She's hesitant on buying things for it, and doesn't want to be super ricey.

Just a side note but some companies do R&D for newer models. Check that out.

ChanceWarren
Car: '07 350Z Base

Thanks for the input!

I heard about the oil burning problem; supposedly they "fixed" that (whether it was true or not... I heard from a few '06 owners that had that problem) on the '07 model so I'm not terribly concerned..?

Anyhow, a fellow from BrianCrower.com said that neither kit they have is compatible with the HR, but they will be releasing a kit that is within the next few months. We'll see what happens.

BippuBoss

well there it is then, more aftermarket parts are coming out for the newer model Z, but it's still slow. My wife doesn't drive her car around a whole lot, just to work every now and then. She wants to cherish it i guess, haha.

Soravia
Car: 2003 Audi A4 1.8T

HR and DE are completely different engines. About 80% of parts are NOT interchangeable.

This goes from the throttle body placement (HR has 2) to the block. You can only swap the pistons. Even the rods won't fit.

inteller
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

you sure? I thought the HR shared lots of parts with the FX 35DE.

Jacko3

I can't speak for the HR engine, but if her car was a DE engine 350 Z or G-35, not driving it often will cause more problems than it solves. There si something about the DE engine that requires continuous or spirited driving.

Jacko3

I agree completely. Drive a G-37 and a G-35, and if you are truly connected to both cars, you will agree that they are entirely different cars. The G-37 is not an upgrade of the G-35.

terrycs

HR Block:

DE Block:

Much stronger bottom end on HR.

terrycs

From left to right: HR, VHR, and DE rods.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

Interesting....

Also I heard the piston design on the HR is signifigantly different so they cannot be swapped....they're not perfect circules from my understanding.

Anyone know if you can use the revv-up bottom end on the standard VQ?

Course, I'll just be getting cosworth to build it along with HKS so whatever, just curious :p

...and only if I win the mega millions lotto.

-Chet

XJared
Car: 06 Titan, 83 Z, 10 Z

I think maybe some people are confusing the VQ35DE rev up with the VQ35HR. And didn't see if anyone mentioned the bell housing and main journal size change that the HR now shares with VQ40.

Pharaohabq
Car: 92' Nissan 300ZX NA

Can you show the Tranny bolt pattern difference on those two blocks? I've been trying to verify its a different pattern on top of the clutch change.

Thanks phar

Pharaohabq
Car: 92' Nissan 300ZX NA

Yes there's a definite Bolt pattern difference between the HR and the DE trannies.

There's differences in the wiring harnesses and ECU too (3 plugs vs 2 on the DE) . though the BCM and AC amp appear to be the same.

sir_vq
Car: 350z

The HR engine means high revving. There were rumors about it having an oil problem. but nothing came out from nissan that it was true. I would say if you have an HR get your oil replaced with some good oil, maybe not Mobil1 I have been hearing a lot of problems with that particular one, as its not meant for track use.

anybody with a 370z should be using nissan ester oil or a equal ester based oil such as motul or grex.... ester oil is thinner and in both positivly and neg. charged it will not glog oil passage like your higher viscosity oils and it clings do cyc. walls and cam lobes and prevents drystarts.... which is the prob with the 370z and 350z it expensive but well worth it.........think of it as 30% reg oil and 70%lucas oil stabilizer thats about the consistency try it it really good stuff i use it in my sr20 as well as my 350..........and PS i think mobil 1 is track worthy to say it aint is 'ludacris'

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”