VQ35DE in S13 in progress.....

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Poor_S13_Driver
Car: S13

When do you think it will be done, as in the first drive? Because thats all we really care about is input on how it drives. Keep up the good work.

sillyverts13

Speak for yourself poor s13 driver. i want to know every step of this project. Cant blame you for wanting to know how it drives tho

Looking good SpecD, i have and will be following closely. Im excited to see the factory management put to use.

Poor_S13_Driver
Car: S13

Well you wont know how the management works until the first test drive But i have been following this closely, and looking forward to all the new progress as well

SpecDRacing

91RS13----

The VQ engine weighs about 80-100 lbs less than a KA. 286 lbs approx. (VQ). THe trans weighs about the same as the KA. As for RB, they are EXTREMELY heavy. In the 450 lb range. I'll put it this way, with the VQ installed into this car (stock suspension), the car ROSE by 2". Therefor, this setup weighs considerebly less. I'd say its only a few pounds more than a turbo SR, as the turbo setup adds a good bit of weight.

I keep saying this, but everyone should also take into consideration the difference in 350Z/240sx trans finals. The transmission in a Z is set up to use a 3.538 final drive, the 240SX uses a 4.063 final drive. This is because the drive gear in the transmission are set up differently.

If you look at the Z car forums, they are installing 3.9 gears into thier cars to accelerate quicker. Thats a taller gear than what us S13/14 guys already have, so basically....this swap is like taking all the guts out of a 350Z to loose the nearly 1000 lbs it would take to weigh what a 240 does, then throw in a Central 20 Japan 3.9 ring and pinion and still be faster.

Later gang.

SpecDRacing

CA18Datsun510....

Yes, the X-Terra comes in 2wd or 4WD with the option for either a 5 speed or 6 speed trans, and of course a 5 speed auto.

If the Xterra trans is used, the gear ratios will be shorter, almost too short so it would need to be researched as to if the gears from the Z will fit in the X-Terra trans.

Later gang!

sbird1
Car: 2006 BMW 325i

First time seeing this topic and I was hoping that by the time I saw it, it would have been finished. Now I'm going to be glued to the computer checking for updates. I've always wondered about this swap. Definately would also be very cool in a 510 . Way to go!!! Love the thread!

DMan II-40
Car: 1995 240SX SE

This is a very cool project, mayb in like 10-15 years i will buy an s13 and get this done with a TT set up or something. Like everyone before me said, im going to be watching this topic alot

SpecDRacing

Sorry guys, this is way off topic, but I think its funny. Here's a little comedy in this thread. I found this pic surfing the net.

Just figured everyone could use a laugh.

Oh, and the transmission is in. The shifter is bent forward a bit too much, so it will get reshaped once more. Other than that, the clutch works great (relocated the plumbing to the drivers side). Its getting there.

More pics comming (project related....I promise).

R6_240sx
Car: 1997 240SX LE, 2004 YZF-R6, 1980 Celica GT

LOL the infamous Nismo butt plug. Don't ask me how i kno how a butt plug looks like.

freakyjason
Car: 1990 240sx

this is a freaking awsome project! i would have never thought to do the vq swap. i cant wait to see how it turns out!! keep up the good work!!!

SpecDRacing

BBOYP1NG.....

Yeap, that is one nasty shift knob. I agree, but its what the owner had in the car. LOL I prefer something with a little more weight, like the Porsche 996 shift knob.

This one is plastic, it doesnt stay put, and its weighs nothing. Im sure after some "spirited" driving, the owner will decide to change it out.

And no, we dont want to know how you found out what a butt plug looks like! LOL

240_l3oi
Car: 1992 240SX SE ,120k miles. owned for 3 years

i was wandering how u cut up the transmission. what kind of tool did u use?

all in all its still looking good. waiting for the startup

tramp_drift240
Car: 1992 240sx SE Coupe

first time looking at this thread, and its basically amazing.

i read all the way through from the beginning and i think its great.

keep up the good work and i DEMAND you to post more pictures

its looking great so far

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

tramp_drift240 wrote:first time looking at this thread, and its basically amazing.

i read all the way through from the beginning and i think its great.

keep up the good work and i DEMAND you to post more pictures

its looking great so far
Goodbye SR! How did you find a VQ35DE motorset? I imagine it would be semi difficult as the 350z's are pretty new and such.

Shnitz

Interesting project, I would especially like to commend you on your openness about information, difficulties you've run into, solutions you've invented, etc. Also, by your posts I am figuring that you are doing this for a customer? You seem to have a lot of experience, which is nice for a shop. Here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I've gone to shops where I've inquired about work being done, and they have been able to throw the most jargon at me (chuki, zenki, kouki, blah blah blah) but when I ask them basic mechanical questions they look at me like I'm speaking Swahili.

That being said, this isn't particularly my cup of tea. I'm all for ANY engine that will make the car faster, but it depends on the drawbacks. Put up against other swaps, and let's use the LS1, since it seems to be the most popular choice for larger displacement, the VQ seems to come up short. First off, how will those new internals hold up? I know Nissan supposedly fixed the problem for the next model year, but I've seen so current ones go out, it's unbelievable. Second, the wiring seems a nightmare. Compared to the cost of getting this into the car, it seems that one could have more powerful setups with similar reliability. But who knows, maybe your work will convince me to swap this in one day.

SpecDRacing

redtop91....

Once this swap is complete, I'll be offering this as a turn key setup for $6500-$7000 (all parts and labor). Drop it off, leave a little money and a little while later you can turn the key and drive away.

I origionaly came by this motor when the previous owner had driven into high water. Yeap, this engine was hydrolocked and the rod bent so bad the crank wouldn't turn. Another tech replaced the engine and I kept this one. I rebuilt this engine from top to bottom. Speaking of that.....I spun it over tonight.

Yeap, oil pressure is good. Tomorrow we run compression tests. I see no reason they shouldn't reflect good numbers. The engine has not been run since the rebuild, so the numbers will be slightly down from what one with 1000 miles on it would read, but none the less, I still want to double check everything.

The trim is in on the shifter now and the motor mounts complete. Basically waiting on the intake manifold to show up, an air flow meter, the driveshaft and finaly make the exhaust.

As for anyone interested in having me perform this swap for them, the price includes all parts and labor. Engines are used and may have up to 65,000 miles on them (I dont like to use anything older unless you want me to rebuild it). The time it will take for me to complete the swap will not be as long as this one. I have kept extensive records of this swap so that the future ones will not require any research. I will say that it is not a one day job though.

And again, everyone, thanks for all the support. This forum has made this swap a fun one!

SpecDRacing

TIME TO VOTE:

Should this vehicle get a single exhaust (sleeper).....or dual exhaust? (whats that thing got in it?).......

I'll leave it up to you guys!

redtop91

Dual Tip F Teh Mutha Fvckin Win! IMHO 350z exhaust

fayceoff

This is a hot project! It's really making me itch to get my car to 180sxfacktory's shop for my VG swap...

I'm a huge fan of the dual exhaust. Especially if you can get the same note as a 350 or G35.

DMan II-40
Car: 1995 240SX SE

Duel FTW!!

redtop91

SpecDRacing wrote:redtop91....

Once this swap is complete, I'll be offering this as a turn key setup for $6500-$7000 (all parts and labor). Drop it off, leave a little money and a little while later you can turn the key and drive away.
ZOMG! I'm gonna start saving. Once you have the pricing and details and goodies all worked out, do me huge favor and email me the details at: [email protected]. You

Bigvinnie
Car: 2004 Nissan Frontier desert Runner, 2014 Nissan Titan

SpecDRacing wrote:TIME TO VOTE:

Should this vehicle get a single exhaust (sleeper).....or dual exhaust? (whats that thing got in it?).......

I'll leave it up to you guys!
V engines defenitely deserve duals. Always let the competitor know what is really underneath the hood.

BTW I am very impressed with your setup. It is not only lighter than a KA engine but it is more compact and lighter in design than a VG30 or 33 engine. Looks like there is a lot of engine bay space for header modifications.... As well as the dual intake modification from the newer VQ's in the 2007 G35's....

Black95s14
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

Could this be the new SR??

haha

Reno
Car: 89 S13, boosted.. RAWR..

Stroker Kit??

http://www.aebsracing.com/prod...roker

the NEW!!! Nissan 430sx whaduya think??

hmmm i wonder how much it will cost

sbird1
Car: 2006 BMW 325i

If you do wind up with duals, don't put giant canisters on there. Make it subtle and more like a 350z or G35 type kind of Euro exhaust. That'd be hot. Also, I will definately be doing the stroker kit when I do mine!

redtop91

Reno wrote:hmmm i wonder how much it will cost
Your soul and/or left testicle (depending on resale value and size )

A full liter stroker seems kinda iffy to me.

DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

dual exhaust. no fart cans. no X or H pipes either.

240sxautox
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx SE

there needs to be a crossover pipe somewhere in the exhaust, whether an X or an H doesn't matter, it just needs to happen for the proper sound. also why give away the swap, it would be sweet as a sleeper. duals would look good if you could get the body to work well with it on the rear bumper, like a proper cutout for it to pass through

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

this car is going to be sick! i would love to have a big six in the 240. great writeup by the way, ive found myself checking back too many times a day to be healthy!

as for the exhaust, i vote for 6 individual pipes coming out of the hood.

R6_240sx
Car: 1997 240SX LE, 2004 YZF-R6, 1980 Celica GT

Dual all the way!!! I love the way the 350z and g35 sound w/ the dual exhuast, pure harmony.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”