VQ35DE in S13 in progress.....

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Poor_S13_Driver
Car: S13

Absolutely awesome man. God how i hate wiring

SpecDRacing

"Absolutely awesome man. God how i hate wiring"

Tell me about it! Still not done.

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

And I thought I had a wiring problem.... did sohc--->dohc swap and had the car running until battery died... Putting in new battery he droppe the wrench and sparks flew now car won't start...no spark...

Didderson
Car: 1990 240sx fastback; '88 Hardbody pickup; '74 Datsun Z

Wow, awesome post, I'll be watching this one closely. You sir are my hero, the vq35de is one my favorite engines. That's why i love driving all the nissans at work :P.

maddcow
Car: 93' 240sx Coupe

dude, it looks awesome..... keep up the good work

240_l3oi
Car: 1992 240SX SE ,120k miles. owned for 3 years

thats lookin clean. cant wait to see it runnin. when its done should youtube the start up. great job keep it up

celica3sgte94
Car: 99 g20 89 240sx hb with 95ka24de

looks hella nice man keep up the good work im working on my rb swap at the moment but havnt finished only working on it on the weekends and sometimes after work well good luck and let us know when you finish and btw how long did it tak eyou to get that far?

574-240sx
Car: Nissans, Toyotas, Subaru

looking good.

SpecDRacing

How long did it take me? I got the engine/tranny in the car in a few hours. The wiring has taken a few days, but I only get to work on it a little at a time.

irax
Car: VQ35DER Powered S14.3

SpecDRacing

IRAX......

Engine swap tech, forum for the VQ engine is Fred's swap. We chat alot. He's doing a pretty nice swap, but using a different set up than me. His car is comming along really nice though. He chose to use the Maxima ECU allowing him to avoid a BCM. Im running a 350Z ecu and BCM.

Good looking out though.

On another note, I rebuilt the tranny for this car minus the reverse syncro (ordered). As soon as I get that syncro in and finish taking the pics, I'll post it all up. The trans in the car now is my personal unit with only 5k miles on it. Thanks everyone!

white90esex
Car: 90 240sx
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

thats a crazy bad *** swap... I wanted to do the exact same thing but I know nothing about wiring.

Id love to do it still. Just imagine the fury of a 300 hp v6 in an S chassis.

Its going to be incredible my friend.

Please make it look bad *** to cause if not i will have to slap u . I hate it when there is a really bad *** swapped cause but looks like stock Gayness.

ishkabibble
Car: 1992 NX2000 hardtop, 1993 NX2000 t-top, 1997 Infiniti I30t

white90esex wrote:Please make it look bad *** to cause if not i will have to slap u . I hate it when there is a really bad *** swapped cause but looks like stock Gayness.
No matter what he does, this car will still shame 99% of other S13s.

IMO this is the best swap choice for an S13 - power + reliability.

le_ryan
Car: Mazda 3 / 91 nissan S13 SR

white90esex wrote:
Please make it look bad *** to cause if not i will have to slap u . I hate it when there is a really bad *** swapped cause but looks like stock Gayness.
One word:

Sleeper

spider_slayer
Car: s14 240sx, s13 240sx

i think our cars look good stock.

one question though for the op:

i understand that your using the stock computer probally to avoid the tuning hell and other costs....but did you look into DIY ems like megasquirt? i'm not sure if there is a vq version yet, but it maybe could let you jsut customer a harness or have a wiring shop do one for you.

eathier way good job.

wires suck. can't wait till i can replace all sensors with bluetooth.

240sxautox
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx SE

yeah this swap is badass.... thats why i'm having it done asap. first I'm putting my new suspension together over the christmas holiday, then sending the car up to charlotte.

SpecDRacing

As for the Aftermarket engine management systems, they are way more than a stock setup, and will need to be tuned for the Variable Valve Timing. Let me say that the stock valve timing is extrememly efficient and very sensative to throttle response and load change. There are three major readings that affect the VVT, throttle angle, Ignition advance, air flow in gm/sec....oh.... and oil pressure. The first three give us our B-Fuel/Schd (not regular fuel schedule but an estimated schedule needed for assumed engine operations). With the aftermarket systems, a duty cycle would need to be made that would overlap the information from those three systems, plus the oil pressure (as the cam advance is done with oil pressure). In order for an aftermarket system to do that, it would need some pretty advanced features. The plug ins dont have that yet. A standered cam advance could be tuned in, but would not be nearly as affective as the stock computer. One bit of proof....350Z 03 model, full exhaust (headers back), intake manifold and air filter, stock computer with E-Manage Ultimate. The car Im referring to made 360 RWHP with minor tunning. Thats over 400HP at the crank. Not bad, especialy if you do that in this car.

Stock 350Z = 285-300 HP (pre 2007), 3200-3400 lbs (approx), 3.6 Final

240SX with VQ = 300-350 HP (Full Exh, Intak), 2500 lbs (approx), 4.01 Final

Less weight, more power and on top of that, a shorter rear end. Now your talking one hell of a fast car.

SpecDRacing

A few more pics. I've been sick lately, and missed a little bit of work, therefore not much time for the project, but here's the shifter itself and the rear linkage.

The whole thing. This is how it will be in the car. The shifter is bent forward in order to give me the final inch I need to center it. The linkage has been shortened considerably to make up for the shorter shifter bracket that will also be installed (pics of that next).

A closer look at the shifter. I painted it black because welds arent pretty. Basically, I took a stock 350Z shifter and notched it. The notches allowed me to bend the shifter forward. I then welded the notches. Had my torch not have been out of gas, I'd have just heated it up and bent it.

The linkage. This is what connects the shifter to the shifting forks inside the transmission. I removed the 6" rod that was origionaly between these two u-joints.

The rod I removed is just under the shifter. If you can imagine it, you can see the great amount this shortened the shifter.

This joint MUST be used in order for the shifter to work. The 6-speed transmission uses a remote mount shifter...meaning the shifter itself does not directly come in contact with the shift forks. It also uses a plate to block reverse unless the shifter is pressed down. Without these joins, the shifter will not go anywhere.

Im guessing my gear throws will be greatly shortened by this, we'll see. Hopefully not too much, or possibly, it wont affect it at all.

Later gang!

SpecDRacing

OK gang...here it is. The long awaited shifter fix! FINALY DONE.

This is the mock-up, and will work just fine if any of you do this swap and dont want to pay someone to weld the pieces. These will get welded together though, and the bolts removed.

Enjoy.....

Side by side. Left is a stock unit I have, right is the modified trans with the modified shifter installed.

Same thing, but from the side to really show the difference in length.

A side view of the shifter housing.

Rear view shifter housing.

Front view of the shifter housing.

Close up of the shifter housing from the front. This shows the stock brackets, the alluminum inserts I used to raise the shifter hub to the proper height, and the shifter hub itself. The aluminum pieces in the middle are from the bracket, I just cut them out and fit them to the bracket. Some grinding and sanding was needed to get everything to sit flush. Holes were drilled to insert bolts to hold it all together. Five minutes with my welder and this will all be one piece.

So next I just have to removed my transmission from this car and install the modified one. OH, and by the way, I rebuilt this trans. Below are pics of the syncros while I had it apart.

The bellhousing, cleaned out.

The guts of the trans.

2nd gear engaged. These syncs tend to wear on the flat spot near the sync hub inserts. They will bevel towards the shaft, causing dificult shifting.

Can anyone spot the mistake? Yeap, the input shaft isn't on the main shaft. While I was installing the gears to the center plate, the input shaft fell loose. NOTE TO EVERYONE: Always remember to zip tie your gears together so they dont do this. It cost me about 45 minutes of time to take it back apart and install the shaft. But as you see from above, the transmission is together.

OH, and the throw didnt change much at all, shifting is nearly identical to the stock 350Z. I measured the distances and the shifter should sit exactly where the stock S13 shifter does. SWEET

ca18datsun510
Car: bmw 330i zhp, 91 infiniti m30, 89 240sx, 07 zx6r, 05 trx450r

under that black access cover, did it look like nissan possibly puts a shifter there for different applications?

SpecDRacing

Not really, but then again, not impossible. The shifting rod goes straight through and out the rear for the remote shifter location (as you can see). If it were to be done, it would only require that shaft to be cut, a joint like in the 240sx trans to be installed and the rear hole to be welded.

The reason its not pertinant, the black cover is located under the radio when this swap is installed. Therefore, making that type of shifter would not work. Though it does look as though a 300zx shifter and shift joint could be used with some modifications.

Basically, not needed unless you were building a custom car that required the transmission to be shortened that much (i.e. VQ35 + 6 speed in a CRX...might be my next swap...for myself). So, yes I have looked into it but I cant say for sure what to do yet. I might have that figured out once this car is done and I start on my next project.

Dano
Car: '05 Nismo Frontier CC / '95 240sx base

Very, very cool! I commend you on the work you've done thus far, and am eager to continue watching this progress

Keep the pics coming!

-Dan

SpecDRacing

I have to take time to say this.

I really appreciate everyone's positive support. It's nice to do my work, post my progress, see so many people interested and also know that those reading understand that this is a work in progress, and that it wont look factory untill well after each item has been refined.

This is more than I can say for some other forums (non-nico).

Thanks NICO gang.

Hopefully tomorrow the trans will go in the car!

DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

wow, i just ran across this for the first time. i love big dispacement engine swaps into s13's!

great progress. i'm looking forward to seeing more of this.

best of luck and keep us posted.

ca18datsun510

crx? i was thinking 510.

SpecDRacing

Im debating a CRX because of the ease of modification to the chassis to accept this setup. That along with an Xterra ring/pinion in a 240 rear end should make a pretty quick little car. But all that is way in the future if I even do it. A 510 would be nice!

91rs13
Car: Nismo 350Z
Datsun 510

Dodge Ram 1500

I could only see one photo (at work --firewall) --but it looks nice and compact in the engine bay.

How does the weight of the engine/tranny compare to the RB/SR/CA swaps normally seen in S13's? --this could be a killer Street mod combo.

s13redtaz
Car: 91' S13 Donated and gone..., 96' Toyota Avalon (DD), 92 coupe*SOLD*,92 5 speed Hatch

first time seeing this thread and im amazed! keep up the great work and cant wait to see her running. very impressed with the work your doing

SpecDRacing

NEW DEVELOPMENT:

OK GANG, are you ready for this?! I took a few measurements at work today.

**if you are doing the 350Z swap into your S13, and you dont want to mess with the shifter and driveshaft problem....just use a 6-speed trans and drive shaft from the 05 and newer X-Terra. Why, cause it will all fit perfectly. Yeap, all the measurements show this to be the exact lengths you need, all the way down to where the shifter pops up through the car! Good stuff huh?

The only fab needed at that point will be the flange from the X-Terra diff will be needed or reflange the driveshaft from the X-Terra with the 240 flange. Thats it.

Man, its wicked how this stuff works.

X-Terra Drive Shaft --- one piece alluminum.

Later all!

ca18datsun510

um, are there 2 wheel drive xterras?

Return to “240sx General Discussion”