VQ35DE in S13 in progress.....

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
sbird1
Car: 2006 BMW 325i

Bumnah wrote:why this over an ls1?
Got to keep it in the Nissan family! It's like putting an RB26DETT in a Mustang fastback. There's something about it that just isn't right.

USsil80

awsome project.. but man seems like a standalone system would be so much easier and then you already have something to tune with when you give it some power and need to...

it looks like the trans sits below the frame rails or is that just an the picture....

SpecDRacing

A standalone will not control the VCT like the stock unit. Most people running stand alones make less power due to that fact. Its too complicated for a standalone to process itself so additional maps must be made to operate the cams. These maps are rediculous in complexity. Working for the dealer, I've had more than enough time to get familiar with the variable cams. They will advance and retard by movements of the throttle, air flow, fuel schedule, steering angle, air temp, etc. More than just 5 degrees per amount of air. They can move 1 degree or well above 40 degrees (not sure how far at the moment, dont have the specs on me).

Yes, the trans sits below the fram rails. It will come up a good bit when the new rubber mount is in and should be near flush. What do you expect? This transmission is built for a car that sits the driver beside the trans, not above. I guess if someone wanted to go through the trouble to cut and reshape the tunnel, they could....but that's overkill. It should be very close to even when finished.

Later all

SpecDRacing

Oh,and USsil80....

Man thanks for the props, I'm glad you like it. Hopefully I can get it done soon so everyone can see it running.

I see your in the Air Force. I hope things are good for you guys, wherever your stationed. Keep the states like it is, so we can build cars like these.

SpecDRacing

sbird1

I agree, keep nissans together...somehow. I agree that the LS1 would be a great powerplant for this car, but the amount of custom work would be horrific and all for only a few more HP. Not to mention the weight differecnce (even all alluminum it weighs more). The LS1 is an awesome corvette motor....keep it there. Now if we were talking on a Go-Kart.....that'd be interesting!

USsil80

no prob... your work look sreally clean - which "cleanlyness is close to godlyness" but as a mechanic i know what it takes to get done working on a POS just to go home and pick up a wrench on your own POS... so all the more props.... do you have any other plans besides a motor swap.. ohh nad my vote is for a rear exit zoust

SpecDRacing

I think it has been pretty much decided to go rear with it. After consideration, side exits would be kinda tacky. And the whole "go home and work on your POS" part....LOL...except I wont even work on it there. I keep every tool I need in my car.....so I just drive it till it breaks, then I fix it on the road. Maybe, just maybe if the moon is full and the stars are aligned, I'll do real work like a head gasket or some rings....but again, only after I had it towed there from trying to fix it on the side of the road. I HATE, working on my own crap. Im looking into a 97 240sx right now.....if I buy it, then I will definately keep it up. I paid $500 for my CRX si, I've driven from Charlotte to Houston and back half a dozen times, and i drive it to work everyday. For $500, it could explode and I wouldn't care. Hell, its a honda anyway! Who needs them?

sbird1

HERE HERE! Next project, LS1 powered Go-Kart. I'm all over that!

SpecDRacing

Ok guys,

FINALY got the lower manifold in today! So I've installed the manifolds, routed the fuel lines, power steering resovior and also found out my throttle body is a bit too close to the bulkhead. So, the engine will move forwar about 1.5" for clearance purpsoses. No biggie, everything will still fit perfect. Here's a few pics of whats been going on. Hopefully tomorrow I will have all the heater core hoses run and finaly finish the exhaust manifold (supposed to do that today). Hope you like them!

Harness mounted to strut tower....big woop right? Wrong, this is something very simple and cheap that people overlook when doing a swap.

This is the zip tie with the fastener made to it. These are about $2 each but you only need 3 or 4 when doing a swap. This cleans up the engine bay and gives it that "factory" look.

Hacking up the 350Z exhaust manifold. I couldn't get the manifold to fit with the limited clearance on the drivers side. This one is getting cut down and custom made.

Ahh, finaly, tha manifold is on!!!!

A closer look at the pressure regulator mounted to the manifold. Taking those few extra minutes to zip tie loose hoses and hiding vaccum lines can really add to the look of your setup.

A closer look at the passenger side. Though it looks plain, there is alot going on over here. The P/S resovior was relocated to this side. The fuel pressure regulator has been mounted to the intake manifold and the PCV hose installed. The wiring harness has been routed to look as clean as can be at this point. Also, notice the Brake Booster hose. That is directly from the 240SX. Cut it a bit, and even the brackets can be reused.

A look from the drivers side. Earlier in the project, I took a pic from this same spot....see how much has changed!

A look from the passenger side.

Now this is a problem....a BIG one. When I sat the motor in and measured for clearances, I assumed the throttle body would not sit closer to the bulkhead than the manifold. I was wrong. Here I have about 3/4" clearance...not good. In hard cornering/acceleration this WILL hit. No problem though, the motor mounts have already been removed and are on my bench waiting for me to finish the relocation part tomorrow. A few hours and this will be corrected.

Yeap, the factory P/S lines. A bracket will get added to the lower radiator hose and the P/S line to secure it to the chassis. No, this isnt rediculously stretched, they are sitting just fine. I just realized that this picture makes the line look like it could be cut in half by the crank pulley...this is deceiving, as the line is actually sitting nearly 4" away. In any case, like I said, it will get a bracket and that will be that.

I wanted to add, that everything used in this swap was available on both vehicles...as in, the 240SX and the 350Z engine set. No extra P/S lines were purchases, no crazy weird custom hoses....just regular stuff. The coolant hoses were done with Quest hoses to make it look nice, but the stock 240 ones will make the connections (ugly). The Heater Core hoses are the only things I'm buying and that is becuase my engine had none.

Hope you guys are liking this. I am sure that this is definately something that could be accomplished in someones home garage, though getting the key programmed will require a dealership and most of the fitiment is very time consuming....but overall, the parts list isn't too big.

Later gang!

Hopefully she'll be running by....lets say....Thursday!

Modified by SpecDRacing at 7:15 PM 12/18/2006

sbird1

Just out of curiosity, do you know what your costomer wants to do with this car? Is it going to continue to be a street car of is it a track car? I'm anxiously awaiting Thursday, by the way.

SpecDRacing

It will be a street car. No SCCA racing or anything like that.

ca18datsun510
Car: bmw 330i zhp, 91 infiniti m30, 89 240sx, 07 zx6r, 05 trx450r

SpecDRacing wrote:Ok guys,

Yeap, the factory P/S lines. A bracket will get added to the lower radiator hose and the P/S line to secure it to the chassis. No, this isnt rediculously stretched, they are sitting just fine. I just realized that this picture makes the line look like it could be cut in half by the crank pulley...this is deceiving, as the line is actually sitting nearly 4" away. In any case, like I said, it will get a bracket and that will be that.

I wanted to add, that everything used in this swap was available on both vehicles...as in, the 240SX and the 350Z engine set. No extra P/S lines were purchases, no crazy weird custom hoses....just regular stuff. The coolant hoses were done with Quest hoses to make it look nice, but the stock 240 ones will make the connections (ugly). The Heater Core hoses are the only things I'm buying and that is becuase my engine had none.

Hope you guys are liking this. I am sure that this is definately something that could be accomplished in someones home garage, though getting the key programmed will require a dealership and most of the fitiment is very time consuming....but overall, the parts list isn't too big.

Later gang!

Hopefully she'll be running by....lets say....Thursday!

Modified by SpecDRacing at 7:15 PM 12/18/2006
if you get the 89-90 sohc ps lines they will be setup for the right side.

and i bet you could get them for free cause everyone that does sohc to dohc, sr, ca or whatever swap wants the 91+ dohc lines that sit on the left side.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

SpecDRacing wrote:I think it has been pretty much decided to go rear with it. After consideration, side exits would be kinda tacky.
ouch Don't worry, I don't take it personally.Anyway, first time seeing this thread, and I'm really impressed. You really know your shizzle mang! I might have you do this later in life when I'm a baller. 240shell ($1200) + this swap (7 G's) = $8200... way freggin cheaper than a 350z, and itll go WAY faster. Mark for President!

sidewards
Car: 95' 240sx sr'd, 00' Sierra 1500, 94' cbr600 'fighter

Do you think you would offer a harness service to adapt the vq35 harness to the 240 in the future? or even a swap kit including mounts and a harness service for the diy crowd?

240sxautox
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx SE

Mark, I was wondering when you think this project will be coming to its conclusion, I'm definitely ready to send my 240 to charlotte. Once it's finished I'd love to come take a look at the finished product and drop my 240 off at the same time.

-Blake

SpecDRacing

The conclusion will be within the next two weeks. Its getting harder to find time to work on it with the holidays and all. I'm waiting on a driveshaft and some sheet metal so I can mount the cooling fan. Its pretty much done. It should get cranked today or tomorrow. Later all!

Oh, and kits, yes, I will make kits on a case by case basis. Each VQ has slight differences.

Oh, the new VQ35HR parts prices are out. HR pistons are 10.6:1!!! Not too expensive either!

SpecDRacing

Hey gang,

No crank tonight. Didnt get the exhaust manifolds done in time. I repositioned the motor so the throttle body would clear and cut the supports in the hood (again, throttle cleanance). That took most of my time. So the manifolds will get built tomorrow and then....finaly we can crank this thing.

Future work for those of you thinking about buying kits from me. I have designed a new lower oil pan that will allow the VQ to sit as low as the stock motor. That along with the shifter modification will set the motor low and back of the front axles. To you racers, you know this is wonderful for handling. The front cylanders line with the axles and the oil pan will contain only 4 qts as opposed to 5 1/4. Oil slosh should be greatly reduced.

So sorry no footage tonight......wouldnt have mattered if it did run, the camera was dead. Maybe that was a sign.

Till tomorrow!!!

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

Curse you VQ gods!!!!!!! I'm salivating in anticipation

PhillyDaKid-S13
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx XE coupe, sold...(sniff)....1991 240sx fastback project, YEZZIR!!!

I too can't wait to see the outcome of this project. I damn near break my neck to see everytime I hear a VQ exhaust note. Now THATS music to my ears. You sir, are a genius for this idea.

SpecDRacing

Ok gang,

Sorry it's taken so long......I had to fab up some quicky manifolds (very ugly, no pics) just to get it to run. There are no A/F sensors in it so it can't won't rev up (factory Fail Safe), but alas.....it RUNS!!!!!

The pipes are being ordered to custom make the manifolds and I have already secured the 3" center section. All that remains is a few clamps on some cooling lines, one PCV hose to the air intake, shim the passenger side motor mount, connect the P/S return line, fab the exhaust, fab the driveshaft, recalibrate the Tach and isntall the gauges. About 3 full days worth of work (2 weeks worth in the evenings....I only get about 2 hours at night to work on this).

So, what you've been waiting for!!!!!!!

More to come!!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!!!!
Modified by SpecDRacing at 4:40 PM 12/23/2006

redtop91

SpecDRacing

Oh, and by the way, if you watch the clip close enough, look just below the intake pipe and beside the strut tower....you should be able to see flames coming from the downpipe when I rev it up a little.

Just thaught I'd add that.

Later!

dsc4130

awsome i want one

SpecDRacing

I agree....to bad this isnt mine! When I cranked this thing up, I got goose bumps. I haven't had goose bumps from a swap since I did my first one (Turbo II into 1989 N/A RX-7). The deep clean sound of the motor.....the way it sat right down and idled.......soooooo clean. I really have to build one for myself now. Not even the RB swaps excited me this much! I can't wait to get it done. After I post the video for you guys.....I'm going to be off searching for that bastard Mustang that passes my little honda every morning!

ca18datsun510

if i try to watch the vid i get sent to my photobucket account.

redtop91

ca18datsun510 wrote:if i try to watch the vid i get sent to my photobucket account.
Clear cache and cookies.

ca18datsun510

redtop91 wrote:
Clear cache and cookies.
redtop91 wrote:
Clear cache and cookies.
no.

its never done this before. i watch linke photobucket videos all the time.

redtop91

Try signing out of your account, clearing the above, closing IE, and accessing the link again.

sbird1

I cleared cache and cookies, signed out, and am still having the same problem. Any more ideas?

rb25crazy
Car: 1997 miata

man that thing rumbles and sounds deep I LOVE IT!!!! any love for us kouki s14 people???? cuz this looks way better then going ka-t

Return to “240sx General Discussion”