VK56VD Supercharger

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
vr4z06gt
Car: M56x

It looks like the aussies will have a supercharger solution for the VK56VD in the near future: http://www.fullboost.com.au/fb/index.ph ... er-harrop/

The target application is the Y62 patrol which uses the same engine code as the 2011+ M56/Q70 V8. Any thoughts on if this would bolt up to our motor? I would imagine the intake manifold is different (dual intakes vs single intakes) between the applications (Y51 vs Y62), however this supercharger appears to have an integrated manifold. Obviously the computer would be looking for two MAF sensors which could be an issue and the computer would likely need a custom tune. The intercooler appears to be mounted between the blower and intake plenum, so hood clearance might be an issue...

I am hoping with application expansion in the US market for this motor, which now includes the new Gas Titan and the 2017 Armada, there might start to be better after market support.

Any thoughts?

Altered
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x

I like what I see. The front cover of the head unit is bolted on and can easily be replaced with a design that has a Y built into it for each MAF. Still would require a lot of changes and fuel system upgrading but provided it clears the hood this could be the start of something good. At least after people blow a few up someone will start making forged pistons/rods for it, I haven't seen any yet. Anyone know if the stock crank is cast?

Sadly I can't see the 7 speed trans handling this without some Level 10 help but cross that bridge when we get there right?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Altered wrote:I like what I see. The front cover of the head unit is bolted on and can easily be replaced with a design that has a Y built into it for each MAF. Still would require a lot of changes and fuel system upgrading but provided it clears the hood this could be the start of something good. At least after people blow a few up someone will start making forged pistons/rods for it, I haven't seen any yet. Anyone know if the stock crank is cast?

Sadly I can't see the 7 speed trans handling this without some Level 10 help but cross that bridge when we get there right?
You're a lot braver than most lol.

vr4z06gt
Car: M56x

Altered wrote:I like what I see. The front cover of the head unit is bolted on and can easily be replaced with a design that has a Y built into it for each MAF. Still would require a lot of changes and fuel system upgrading but provided it clears the hood this could be the start of something good. At least after people blow a few up someone will start making forged pistons/rods for it, I haven't seen any yet. Anyone know if the stock crank is cast?

I can't seem find transmission (model ID/specs/etc) information easily for Nissan units. What are the transmission ID's for the M (are they different between AWD/RWD?) and also for the Titan, Armada/QX80, etc?

Altered

I think the V8 cars have trans # RE7R01A. If you look on the label next to your driver door it will say what's in your car. The internals are the same between RWD and AWD as far as I can tell, just the transfer is added to the AWD units.

I know Level 10 has parts for the trans in the G37, which is the same as the V6 M/Q70. I think the V8 uses practically the same unit with a different bellhousing design. Not sure about the trucks, last I knew they used a 5 speed auto but that may have changed since I drove one.

DredM56
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56 2004 Subaru Wrx STi

The engine being added to the trucks should help the parts availability. I saw a Titan with cams pulleys headers torque convertor and nitrous.

The V8 tranny is similar to v6 I think but is rated at a higher torque number. Level 10 could likely use their experience on that one to build the v8 up.

walt1227
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56S

I can't even imagine how scary the M56 would be adding a supercharger to it. I just got my M56s yesterday and it scared the crap out of me especially when it hit second gear and started to pull even harder. First time I had ever driving a V8 M.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

How much power could this thing make with an SC? 475-500 at the wheels? That's nuts.

Altered

So I sent Harrop an email, they were very helpful and mentioned the Patrol they supercharged is tuned with UpRev. Also, they do not have V8 Q70s in Australia apparently, so they aren't currently looking to test this kit on one. No info on whether the hood will clear it, but that's an area that can be taken care of by a skilled body person since this hood bulges in the center anyway, you wouldn't even notice if it had an extra inch or so of clearance added to it.

I was most happy to find they tuned using UpRev, as you V8 guys already know they have applications for your cars so this may be a feasible setup after all. I may decide to trade my car in because of this, we shall see.

EdBwoy

We are watching with bated breath. I don't mind (professionally) cutting up the hood to poke a blower through. Make it look pretty like the Dodge Shakers.
I have no experience with forced induction and what the 5.6 engine internals are rated for, but I believe Nissan has been forging and microfinishing their crankshafts for a while. Will the rods hold? IDK, but the vk45de of the prior generation v8 has 6-bolt mains

Altered

My biggest question is does the M56/Q70 5.6 have the same internals as the Y62's 5.6 engine? I would believe so but does anyone here know for sure if the truck engines are beefed up internally? Or if they are exactly the same

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

My car:

Patrol:

Complete supercharger kit:

Closeup of M56 intake:
[URL=http://s28.photobucket.com/user/tunnelr ... q.jpg.html]Image

Just a few observations from looking at the pictures. The M56 intake is actually pretty tall, about 7-1/2". I believe the supercharger unit will fit under the hood no problem. The wiring harness on top of the M56 intake would have to be moved. The coolant reservoir would have to be moved to accomodate the cooling coil. The M56 radiator cap may be in the way. At a glance, the mounting holes look like they will line up, although the driver's side front mounting foot of the M56 intake in the closeup pic is angled compared to the supercharger front mounting foot which is squared. The passenger side M56 mounting foot (not pictured) looks like it would line up. The side air filter box may be hard to locate, due to the rounded profile of the M56 engine bay vs the squared engine bay of the Patrol. Not sure if the drive pulleys will line up.

DFW2011M56S
Car: 2011 M56S

For alot less money and alot better stealth Nitrous Express has a dual nozzle Nissan/Infiniti nitrous kit that adds up to 150 hp.

MpamP
Car: 2011 m56s

The nitrous express 150 kit will be my next mod.

PostalsQ

Is that intercooler even enough? The way y'all 5.6 guys talk. The 5.6 runs hot. Add a SC to the mix. That's a lot of heat soak loss.

hemachayart
Car: 2012 M56 sport tech

Why can't they make dual port intake for M56 on Harrop supercharger? So, we can mount existing throttle body.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”