VH45DE mated to T56

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

One Ton, glad to see you back on the boards...

You seem to know some about this kind of stuff.... Do you think this is a feasible option??

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

elwesso wrote:I think personally Id rather have the MT rather than the SC and stuff.....
you just ain't living until you've driven a 4200lb car with a Supercharger and manual transmission.

one ton garage

I think mechanically speaking, a manual tranny swap is totally doable... but my only concern would be fudging with the electronics of the vehicle. Without having delved deeper into its electronic controls to know much about it... I would have to ask how much of the car's operations are controlled/affected by the transmission and its separate ECU? i.e. can the engine run with them removed? Can the instrument cluster function with them removed? etc etc... Basic electricals (such as reverse lights, vehicle speed sensor, neutral switch, etc.) should be no problem... but it all comes down to the electronics that's usually the biggest concern and headache.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

A wise consideration.

We should send Q45tech or someone near Atlanta to review how 450ZXTT adressed these issues and how sucessful he was.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I tried running the car once with the TCU out, and it just defaults to 3rd gear...

The only thing youd have to wire in is the speedo sensor.. You may need to leave the TCU in place because the TPS goes through there...

Anyway i think it wouldnt be that hard to make the ECU think it had a tranny.....

one ton garage

Hmmm.. who is 450ZXTT? That's not the guy who put the TT VH into his old S30 Z is it? Tho I assume it isn't since the one I'm thinking of is in Japan, and you mention Atlanta...?In most cases, you should be able to run a car with the TCU in place, sans tranny. That way any electronic functions that the engine ecu requires processed through the tcu first should still operate, and as long as the tcu isn't advanced enough to try and put itself, or the ecu, into some sort of failsafe mode, that might be the way to go.. hmmm, how bout disconnecting all connectors leading to the tranny, jumping the P/N start switch, and trying to fire the engine and rev it through the range? That might be a fun test

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

IM thinking that unless you do some major jerry rigging it will throw a tranny malfunction code.. The question is, does the engine do aynthing about it?

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

one ton garage wrote:Hmmm.. who is 450ZXTT?
Dropped a twin turbo VH45DE into a Z32. I think he is in Marietta, GA. search for his board name, and a video on something like axepower .

He has a price list for his conversion up on a website. Not for G50, though.

PoorManQ45

elwesso wrote:I think the E brake is something that could wait..... We could either just leave the pedal in palce or rig up some cable to it so you pull on it.. Itd be kind of ghetto and not as cool as having a lever to pull but itd work..
You could do a Driver's Ed style setup and put the E'brake in the passenger footwell. It'd be kind of a hassle to engage when by yourself, but it'd move it out of the way.
elwesso wrote:The only thing youd have to wire in is the speedo sensor.. You may need to leave the TCU in place because the TPS goes through there...
I don't think you'd want to do that. Doesn't the ECU retard the ignition when the TCU goes to shift? This might have a bad effect with a manual sinse shifting would be almost random, well, besides being within a specific RPM range.

A new ECU program would be required to keep this same feature with a manual. Possibly a load sensor.

one ton garage

About the ebrake, I would personally try and adapt a pull lever style ebrake handle like those found on trucks in place of the existing ebrake release lever. You can most likely even mount the stock pull tab on the rod so that when released it just looks like the normal ebrake release. Pull it and rotate to engage...tug, rotate, and let go to release. That should work out quite well.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

one ton garage wrote:About the ebrake, I would personally try and adapt a pull lever style ebrake handle like those found on trucks in place of the existing ebrake release lever. You can most likely even mount the stock pull tab on the rod so that when released it just looks like the normal ebrake release. Pull it and rotate to engage...tug, rotate, and let go to release. That should work out quite well.
Thats sort of along the lines I was thinking...

Now we just have to figure out how the length differs so we can determine how to mount it and stuff.....

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

I think the parking brake is a non-issue as nothing else except a left foot rest pad could go there.

PoorManQ45

HEhe, it seems that noone is listening to you.

Why can't anything else go there?

IvoryJ30t
Car: 95 Maxima GLE, 95 Maxima GXE

nice, someone finally made the adapter plate.

just have to straighten out the flywheel/clutch situation.

[i didnt die, ive just been working 100 hours a week, and i moved into a new apartment.]

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

PoorManQ45 wrote: Why can't anything else go there?
If you looked, it would be obvious to even you.

Well, maybe not you.

PoorversionofBatman
Car: 1998 Infiniti Q45

I've got a 98 q45 I've had the trans out a few times also had to throw another used vh41 in it after using royal purple in a 270,000 mile engine and developing a rod knock. Anyway i want to dive deeper into this since i have a t56 setup for third gen LT style. I know the Re4r03a has the majority of its sensors on the tail housing and One on top by bell turbine revolution and one in bottom of bell crank speed? I think. And shift select. So i was wondering if you keep crank speed maybe use it for both turbine revolution and crank speed if posible or convert the signal by consulting your "N.(Electrical)E.R.D." in other words someone who knows hall effect pulse stuff. Then use shift selector for park and only first gear because maybe it won't matter you are able to do 120mph when the Tcu thinks your in first gear and never calls Ecu to retard timing for a shift which probably has no clue your banging gears or that the auto isn't shifting even though you continue to accelerate.

Return to “General Chat”