VH45 s14 S/C

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
SuperHatch
Car: 96 TLC

Carl H wrote:transition like that should not affect maf metering capabilites...i have my rb car set up the same way in a blowthru configuration and its working just fine.i'd say the load mapping is incorrect.
Just because something is working doesn't mean it is working correctly.

The TP mapping on qsiguy's tables is sufficient for his VH at 6-7psi, than similar scaling will work the same on Jerry's car. Not to mention an engine in a lighter vehicle will typically hit lower load cells than a heavier vehicle.

gs14racer

well, i cant tell you guys any new info unfortunatly. I was only able to drive the car for about 5 minutes before it crapped out on me.

Im having some issues getting the moates to communicate with the ecu.

Things i know are working fine

1. the ecu ( i have another socketed ecu and the both go into limp mode as soon as the moates is plugged in, but when you remove it and put in regular rom chips the work fine)2. The nistune software is working3. The consult does work, with the ecus as long as the rom chips are in if the moates is in it doesnt connect since the ecu goes into limp mode)4. I can connect to the moates with nistune and upload and download .bin files to it no problem

The problem im having is it doesnt communicate to the ecu apperently, and or the ecu doesnt see it. It starts and revs but only if you accelerate gradually, if you hit it hard the car will die out (basicly the way it would behave with no rom chips).

Im begining to think the culprit here is the ribbon cable, i metered it and had two pins that had poor/no continuity so i recrimped the connectors and plugged the moates in and it tried to work for a second then it went to limp mode (the most success ive had all day). Im gonna go to the local computer supply store later today and see if i can find a replacement, if not im gonna order it from moates monday, and i guess ill go from there hopefully thats the problem. If not im at a loss.

Modified by gs14racer at 11:01 PM 9/25/2009

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

Did you get the Moates socket booster? Mine would not work at all without it. Now it's been working perfectly for the last 1-1/2 years. I am also using the Ostrich. I had to move the daughterboard over and mount the diagnostic pot through the hole in the case to make room. Sounds like you are having the exact same problem I was having before I tried the socket booster.

Modified by qsiguy at 1:23 AM 9/26/2009

SuperHatch

qsiguy wrote:Did you get the Moates socket booster? Mine would not work at all without it. Now it's been working perfectly for the last 1-1/2 years. I am also using the Ostrich. I had to move the daughterboard over and mount the diagnostic pot through the hole in the case to make room. Sounds like you are having the exact same problem I was having before I tried the socket booster.

Modified by qsiguy at 1:23 AM 9/26/2009
Jerry is not using the socket booster, since he has my old setup. I did not need the socket booster in my car and it worked fine, the trick was shortening the ribbon cable to less than 6". I actually have a socket booster though, so I am sending it to Jerry to see if that solves his problem.

T45
Car: King Kong powered Z32

Jerry, the eeprom burner I have at the office is specific for our equip. No go.

On a side note I went to Jerrys after work yesterday and hung out for a while. He set timing using CAS and took me for a ride. The first ride was uneventful, low power, slower than my NA.

The second ride after he set timing was a little bit better. The a** end was like "white line" "double yellow" ....."white line"...."double yellow", and this was going about 40-50 in a school zone, then a little traction was gained and she booked. Once it's tuned it will be stupid fast. The VH responds well to the boost, very drivable, very powerful. His car is wayyyy lighter and faster than my Z.

Needless to say the ride home in the Z was very quiet......smooth........and slow.

T45

CrazyTrance wrote:
Dude i'll bet that thing sounds mean as hell with a s/c on there..

DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

AZhitman wrote:Jerry, you are officially the coolest person on the forum right now.
I don't know about THE COOLEST, but he's definitely up there.

Definitely one of my favorite cars on the forum.

gs14racer

thanks guys , unfortunatly this project is on hold till next week.

On my way to get the ribbon cable i was driving down the street with a friend about 35 mph and some guy punched it in reverse out of a driveway crossed the center line, hit me on th drivers side door and spun me into a telephone pole, everybodys was ok, looks like my IS is totaled

Modified by gs14racer at 5:05 PM 9/26/2009

m280sxgt
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx with AEM Short Ram Intake, KYB GR-2 Struts, Eibach Lowering Springs, HKS Hi-Power Exhaust

Wow I'm not a big Altezza fan but can you say "Oh ya that's a beating??" Oh yes we can!

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

Ah that sucks dude!

SuperHatch

I'm first going to say, glad you're ok!

Then I'm going to be the jerk that asks what the wheels are worth to you... My wife just picked up an LS430 and I think they might look nice on there...

gs14racer

lol steve, 2 of the 4 are messed up from the accident, the car will probably be totalled so theyll take it with them.

T45

Damn, when it rains it pours! Sorry for the loss.

I told you that s*** happens for a reason didn't I? lol Now, if the ostrich would have worked then you would have never driven down that road to get the ribbon cable at the exact moment that the douche floored it reversing out of his driveway. lol Sad but true. In the end it really happened to get you to where you're really supposed to be going.

Let me know if I can help with anything.....other than buying the heads. Wish I could but I'm stuck here another 2 weeks at regular pay and that is just enough to cover my bills.

gs14racer

T45 wrote:Let me know if I can help with anything.....other than buying the heads. .
ROFL!!!!!

you know the phrase blessing in disguise, well its really not disguised, i wanted to get rid of that car anyway lol.

T45

U should have said something, i would have traded the Z for it. lol Where are you at in regards to the tune? Let me know if I can help in any way. Off this weekend...

gs14racer

well, i got the socket booster from stephen, its still busted.

I broke down and ordered a new ostritch which should be here tommorow. Im hoping thats it.

CrazyTrance
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx - vh45de

Damn man! How fast was he going out of his driveway??? Some hurry he was in.. Whats the replacement? :D

And i hope you get this ECU issue sorted out soon. I want video's.

gs14racer

got it running finally.

ITS FAST!!!!

5.114 volts on the maf cant possibly be good right?? lol, it hits that in 3rd gear at 7000rpm. Sigh.. more money to be spent now... or i cant try moving the maf around as i find it hard to believe im making 450whp.

Anyway heres a timing log 2nd gear pull to redline, big props to steve, as the tune he gave me seems to be pretty spot on for a base to start from.

Modified by gs14racer at 10:53 PM 10/1/2009
Modified by gs14racer at 10:55 PM 10/1/2009

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

Lol, I think 5.114 volts is as high as the ECU will read. In my opinion, as long as you can keep a safe AFR after you hit that MAF voltage it's not really a problem. I believe the problem with maxing the MAF is that the ECU can no longer determine how much more fuel is required to compensate for more air but if you aren't going lean after that you are safe. Make sure you have a wideband O2 working if you do that so you know. My current rev limit is set to 6900.

So what finally fixed it? What was the problem?

gs14racer

the ribbon cable was bad, new cable, socket booster, fired right up

SuperHatch

gs14racer wrote:got it running finally.

ITS FAST!!!!

5.114 volts on the maf cant possibly be good right?? lol, it hits that in 3rd gear at 7000rpm. Sigh.. more money to be spent now... or i cant try moving the maf around as i find it hard to believe im making 450whp.

Anyway heres a timing log 2nd gear pull to redline, big props to steve, as the tune he gave me seems to be pretty spot on for a base to start from.
Jerry, very glad to hear everything has finally worked out for you! I can't wait to see some videos!

By the way, try making the IC pipe before the MAF 3.5" and see what that does to the MAF voltage....

gs14racer

Thanks!!! Dyno and vids coming soon.

Im gonna work on the intercooler piping today, but i dont think i can use a 3.5 in front of the maf. I might just swap it out for z z32 and run 3 inch all the way to the throttle body. I think that will be ultimatly easier.

gs14racer

Well went to the dyno today. Before i post the results, id just like to preface it with the problems. FUEL PUMP!!!!! My walbro must be very tired as ive had it for 5 years, and after 6000rpm fuel presure would drop almost 15 lbs and it would go lean. I couldnt tune it or nothing, just a baseline pull was all i got out of the car, and i couldnt even take it to 7000rpm either.

These are the results at 6.5 psi going nasty lean up top with 11 degrees of timing retard for safety till the tuning was done.

I did fix the piping in front of the maf so its all 3.5 inches now and i still hit 5.06 volts at redline, this tells me a few thing1. the motor is flowing enough air to max out the maf 450whp2. im shocked it made the power i made at 11 degrees retard3. Its gonna be fast, i would expect this thing to make at least over 420 at 7 psi once its tuned

Well enough of my banter on to the results.

6.5 psi

Heres the graph where the fuel pressure started to drop at 6k rpm.

kingkilburn
Car: '93 240SX

You don't happen to know the CFM of the vortech do you?

gs14racer

according to the vortech site, the v2 s trim can flow 1000cfm with a max boost of 20 psi and max impeller speed of 55000rpm.

1WheelWonder
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

Awesome results thus far Jerry, I personally think your timing is WAY too conservative, cannot wait to see this thing at it's fullest potential.

Keep it up.

XJared
Car: 06 Titan, 83 Z, 10 Z

Will you be switching to dual MAFs ?

gs14racer

no, if anything im gonna run a single ford lightning maf, those are good up to around 700hp.

CrazyTrance
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx - vh45de

Hell yeah man!! Those numbers aren't bad at all for being untuned with the timing you have it set at. But i agree with keeping it safe untill it can get tuned. Cant wait to see what this thing does once it's all buttoned up. Go have fun with some Ferrari's. hehe

gs14racer

well im gonna go get the new fuel pump today after work, and im gonna put that on and my other nismo fuel pressure regulator just to be safe.

I hope to make it back to the dyno weds or thurs, I have to finish the car in the next few days because on friday got a drift event and on sunday, im doing this standing mile event at a local airport, ( as fast as you can from a dead stop for 1 mile) and my dads brothers co worker has a 06 viper and he challenged me to a stading mile drag race (which will be filmed if it does indeed go down), so i need to be ready.

A quick qeustion for the tuner guys now that i brought it up since on sunday im gonna be wide open at full load in 4th and 5th gear is there any thing i should do to the tune ie make it more conservative (pull an extra degree or two of timing up top or add some more fuel to keep things cool). I mean i only expect to get 5 or 6 runs in as there are more than 100 cars attending, and i can imagine that the run will be over after about 20-25 seconds, should i be at all concerned?

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”