VG30DETT into 1989 240SX

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
ArticDragon192
Car: 91 Z32 2+2

Wow that is hot!

tjmhillz
Car: 2001 Turbo Lexus IS300

damn d2180sx dats sick. thats looking good. i would love to see a vid of that beast. hey check ive emailed you wit a few questions

tj

180sxfaktory
Car: 1989 RS13 180SX 1991 RMS13 240SX 1992 RS13 200SX

Enjoy!

D2180SX
Car: 180SX and 200SX

Got your e-mail and will answer it to the best of my ability.

D2180SX

Here's another project that we're working on- a Miata with a VG30ET from a Z31 300ZX. Yes, this is NICO, and if I wanted to post anything about this car, I should have stuck it in the 300ZX section, but I just wanted to show you the possibilities of hybrids, whether they be S13, S14 or even the S15 with another engine. Enjoy!

Yes, this car looks like crap, and we were driving it for a while until the water pump in the previous VG took a dump. Yes, this is another engine from a 1989 300ZX. The engine that you see now pushed a 1989 300ZX to a 11 sec 1320 and clocked in at 220 KPH (138.6 MPH). This Miata has a complete custom front and rear subframe, a 300ZX rear end with LSD. We're also getting this car ready for drag duty. Should be fun to drive/watch it take down some unsuspecting Skylines and such. Of course, we're fabricating a roll cage! Anybody need a Miata engine with tranny?

Till The Morning
Car: 2002 Civic Sedan

Wow, I'm really impressed by your guys work.

Come september I think I'm going to have to buy your kit.

Keep the good work up

kouki munster
Car: 97 base 240

When you get a kit put together for the s14 I'll be first in line to get one. (as long as I have enough money)

D2180SX

Thanks! I'm thinking of calling these things "Mayhem"

D2180SX

I'm not going anywhere, so hit me up when you get around to it!

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

Nice work!

I dont think Ive seen a Miata built into a drag car...

PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

my thoughts as of now. Screw the RB30 lol.I think I'll do the VG swap when I get the time/money!

mirochuki13
Car: 1992 240SX Hatch

I would definately be interested in the swap if you produced an S14 kit. It would probably be easier to fit into an S14 than an S13.

Any performance numbers/weight on the car yet?

mrflip69

Man, nice work! Now when you say nothing was deleted, is everything still located under the hood? I think it was 300sx who changed and moved his brake setup under the dash. Did you have to do anything crazy like that?

Also, just curious about why you retained the SMICs, besides the point you've already made to just get a fully functioning VG in there. Any room in the future to go FMIC?

D2180SX

miroS14a wrote:I would definately be interested in the swap if you produced an S14 kit. It would probably be easier to fit into an S14 than an S13.

Any performance numbers/weight on the car yet?
So would I, but I'm going to have to import a 95-98 240SX or EDM 200SX to tailor this package. Yes, it doesn't take hard math to figure that the S14 chassis is going to be an easier go than the S13. Here in Bahrain, we only have one S14, and it already has a 2JZGTE swap with this crazy T78 stuck out of the hood. I tried to get the car off the guy, but he won't sell it. So, my only alternative is to buy one or have someone send me theirs, and I'll do the entire R&D and make the kit based off of it. Anybody who wants to be the first S14 with a complete clean swap VG30DETT or VG30DE (that means nothing cancelled from the VG30DETT or the S14; retain all factory options and essentials), drop me a line. Serious inquiries only, and it will require a lot of faith and trust on behalf of all parties concerned.

Anyway, I have an ECR33, but here again, I'm not gonna base an S14 swap on a different chassis code, regardless of how similar they are. I've been asked to do so, but it wouldn't be right.

Performance/numbers- we'll see next month when test and tune starts. I will tell you now that the car will give you whiplash. A the drop of the clutch, it'll do donuts for days. It pulls strong through all the gears, and you'd swear that this engine was modded, but it is not. Just bone-stock VG30DETT put into a lighter chassis with better CG. When everything is sweet, I'll do video of it and post it.
Modified by D2180SX at 6:58 AM 8/10/2006

D2180SX

PantherRacer wrote:my thoughts as of now. Screw the RB30 lol.I think I'll do the VG swap when I get the time/money!
RB swaps into S13. I dig them, and I'll do one with equal weight distribution via lead plates next year. I guess it goes against the popular argument that I would be defeating the pupose of putting a high-hp engine into a light car by adding weight. Any weight I add will be in locations to equalize it out to 49/51. This and chassis strengthening and reinforcement combined with beefier suspension should make that argument moot. But we shall see...

Pro's for going with VG into S13:- VG30DETT swaps and technical support is plentiful in North America and Europe- Aftermarket (JWT is the biggest, then STILLEN) and OEM replacement parts/manufacturers are more plentiful than for RB/CA/SR (going from scarce to available in this order)- Weight distribution in the S13 chassis is better due to CG being moved to the center of the car versus in-line 6/V8 (yes, there is an argument that LS1 doesn't add weight to the nose)- A Nissan dealership repair center can work on your engine and transmission (if you want them to; not everybody is wrench-inclined)

I guess you can add to this list, but in the end, VG seems to be the smarter option to go, since not everybody has the support of a major Japanese parts manufacturer for RB.

D2180SX

mrflip69 wrote:Man, nice work! Now when you say nothing was deleted, is everything still located under the hood? I think it was 300sx who changed and moved his brake setup under the dash. Did you have to do anything crazy like that?

Also, just curious about why you retained the SMICs, besides the point you've already made to just get a fully functioning VG in there. Any room in the future to go FMIC?
Hi! If you look at the pictures, you can see the master brake cylinder. It and the clutch master cylinder are in their stock location. I did not have to hide anything. The reason why is because we spent a lot of time with taking measurements, test-fitted and monkeyed around with a few designs before settling for the configuration you see. The main goal was to not cancel anything. That goal was achieved.

300ZX- I owe it all to him and for his knowledge. I e-mailed him, he gave me his notes via threads and pics, and I went from there. I just took his design modifications and went to the next level. I wanted to be the first to do the swap with no cancellations, and until someone can dispute it, I guess I have that claim. In reality, it means nothing but personal satisfaction. I also did it because I think our scene has gotten a bit stale. I wanted to be punk rock about it and throw the balance of the scene off with a fresh set of possibilities. Don't get me wrong, I love the SR and CA, as well as the RB, but I love it when the obvious isn't so obvious.

Back to your thread. I stayed with the SMICs because, as you said, I wanted to utilize everything I could from the front cut. FMIC- I already know that this is gonna be something people want. It will require modifying the intake in order to make room for the FMIC. I'll do it, eventually, or maybe somebody who gets my kit will be inspired to do it and take what I'm doing to a new level. That's cool, too! Punk rock is cool!

Poor_S13_Driver
Car: S13

Awesome work, im on the edge of my seat waiting for any new news or updates. How hard was/is it to wire up? I consider myself fairly mechanicaly inclined, but i shake at the mere thought of dealing with electrons and wiring.

D2180SX

Hi! It wasn't that hard to wire up. Just used the 240SX wiring schematics and plugged in where necessary. Since the harness is a complete with no cuts and using the VG30DETT ECU, the only part that was a little timely was for the gauge cluster, but even that wasn't too hard.

Poor_S13_Driver
Car: S13

Thanks. Exactly what i was looking for. Keep up the awesome work, you have me hook,line, and sinker.

D2180SX

Hi folks!

Last night while working on the VG240, I thought about why someone hadn't gone the route we did with the 240SX to extent we had. I guess the "path of least resistance" and JDM envy had us all under the spell back in the day. I remember a time when CA18DET in a 240SX was looked down on. I don't even know who started the rumor that a CA was an under-powered option over SR. That guy or group needs their heads checked. Anyway, we've been the route of SR with a nice representation of CA coming up, followed by a contingent of folks doing RB swap and a following being developed for 1J/2J and an even more obscure, but cool group- the LS1 hybrid tuners. The V family (VG/VQ/VH) series, to me, is the next group that I see that will come up strong. Lets face it, Nissan has put their entire force behind the V family. The RB series will never see production again unless we get companies like Dart to buy the rights to produce the RB. That will probably never happen, but you see where I am going.

I love engines, both Japanese and American domestic, I love forced induction, I love big horsepower NA, I love the sound of oversized cams and crackling exhaust notes that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and I love hybrids that are done right. Cars to me are nothing more than another form of canvas to work art on. That's why I love what I do and I do what I love.

Ok, ok, ok... to the point of why I am posting this:

VG swap compared to SR/CA/RB pro's:

- VG30DETT has a lot of manufacturer/OEM support in North America- VG30DETT/Z32 has a huge North American fan base- Technical support can be found in many cities- Lots of aftermarket products (JWT/Stillen, et al.)- VG30DETT was sold in North America- You can walk into any Nissan Parts Center or parts store and order what you need without cross-referencing- 300 bhp in stock form with 5-speed manual; 280 bhp in stock form with 4-speed automatic- Better center of gravity; CG sits in the middle of the car when in the S13.

V swaps over SR/CA/RB con's:

- Not a direct plug-in- Subframe, transmission crossmember, downpipes, y-pipe need to be modified/manufactured- Need to remove the engine to access the turbos- Need a custom drive shaft (yeah, the RB and 1J/2J do, as well)- Oil filter relocation kit needed- Oil pan needs customized- Add your own cons

I had these pro/cons in mind when I did this swap. My goal was to overcome the cons, as well as to keep the engine/chassis options with no cancellations, do not disturb/modify brake/clutch master cylinders, as well as to use as many pieces from the Z32 front cut as possible. These goals were achieved.

Anyway, I hope you folks like the hybrid. I know I do !

I will be away in Thailand for 15 days starting tonite, so if you write me and I don't answer right away, it's not a dis. I gotta do stuff in Bangkok and Phuket and get some relaxation away from the 150 degree F heat here in Bahrain. I'll be taking a buttload of pics of stuff I see there. Yes, there is a tuner scene in Thailand. I know what you were thinkin'!

kanye240
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx Coupe'^2001 jeep grand cherokee

sign me up ...i cant wait till the kit comes

vg+240=smoked tires and neck pains

180sxfaktory

Yes, as a caution, I will recommend folks who get this to get a donut to where around their neck, or at least go to the gym and build up the neck! Would be appropriate and fitting since to sport this swap in a 240 requires a bulldog, and probably a set of cajones to match the monster mayhem that will result!
kanye240 wrote:sign me up ...i cant wait till the kit comes

vg+240=smoked tires and neck pains

kouki munster
Car: 97 base 240

180sxfaktory wrote:Would be appropriate and fitting since to sport this swap in a 240 requires a bulldog, and probably a set of cajones to match the monster mayhem that will result!

Any Idea on the eta for the s14 swap kits? If you need a s14 for R&D I would be willing to help locate one for you guys to have imported.

kanye240

180sxfaktory

An ETA for the S14 swap- man, I can't even begin to answer that one. Yeah, any help someone in North America can do to locate an S14 would be great. In the spirit of keeping costs down, all I am looking for is a plain jane nothing special S14.

HOWEVER- if there is someone who is willing to send their car to me in Bahrain, I will design and do the swap with VG30DETT/5MT for $7,500.00. The shipping of the car to bahrain and back is $1,500.00, roughly. For $7,500.00, you will get the complete VG swap, as well as some of my other parts (side braces, crossbars, suspension goodies). I got a lot more to say on this, so if you are seriously interested, hit me up at the e-mail address.
Beatupsx wrote:

Any Idea on the eta for the s14 swap kits? If you need a s14 for R&D I would be willing to help locate one for you guys to have imported.

kanye240

so im guessing u guys at 180sxfactory used custom Power sterring lines, vacuum/brake booster lines, fuel lines, rad hoses, clutch line, Throttle cable, radistor hoses and basically anything with fluid in it that connects to the motor. right???

180sxfaktory

I used steel-braided in places, as needed, but there is very little that needed custom one-off, and that was the oil filter relocator kit that comes with the master swap. If you look at the pictures, you can see that the radiator hoses aren't anything special. If you need radiator hose, you can get it at any auto parts store. In the kit, there are the directions on how to to do what and where. I tried to keep this as simple and painless as possible.
kanye240 wrote:so im guessing u guys at 180sxfactory used custom Power sterring lines, vacuum/brake booster lines, fuel lines, rad hoses, clutch line, Throttle cable, radistor hoses and basically anything with fluid in it that connects to the motor. right???

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

Kit price s13??? Did I miss it somewhere?? [email protected]

WoDan23
Car: 1994 Nissan 240sx

just so everyone knows there is like a 14 page article on this swap in Sport Compact car september issue i believe? i could be wrong...but i know i have it laying around here somewhere...they swap one into an S14 and provide full details and photos for the whole thing...try and find it...its on the front page so you shouldnt be able to miss it

93HATCH240
Car: 1993 NISSAN 240SX HATCH

Hey, after reading 3 pages I would like to know the release date and [email protected]. Thanks. Rob

Return to “Hybrids”