Value Added Brake Pads very Noisy

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
maddalyn4
Car: Nissan and infinity

I discovered this website when I did a search for Nissan Value Added parts. I had both front and rear brakes done at a Nissan dealer last year and the front brakes were squealing very loudly. I went back and they installed a second set, still had the same loud squealing problem so I went back a third time and had them taken off and put my old ones back on. They told me to keep the squeaky pads and would not reimburse me, so I had them in the box in my trunk. When I had the air bag recall work done recently by a different dealer and I was talking about the noisy brake pads with the Service Advisor, he looked at them and told me they were "Value Added" and that they are not the regular Nissan parts. My rear brakes still have the Value Added pads on them and they are loud and very embarrassing! Has anyone else had a bad experience with these "Value Added" brake pads? I have to get these off my car and replace them but now I am concerned about what to use that will not make noise. I loved my Versa until these noisy brake pads were installed.

Also, my drivers side visor spring went out a while ago and I need a replacement, but the dealer charges $120.00 for a new one. Does anyone know where I can find one more reasonably priced? I tried a window tint strip across the top of the windshield but it is not effective when the sun is directly in front of me, which happens a lot.

My 2007 Versa has over 174,010 miles on it and still holding up fingers crossed, it has lasted the longest out of any car I've owned. But I don't trust the Nissan Dealerships here in Michigan. When I was living in Tennessee the dealership I went to In Franklin/Cool Springs area at least when I was going there cared about the customers. Not so much in Michigan that I have experienced. I have been to at least the four different ones.

I want to start looking for a used Nissan Sentra or Altima to replace my Versa.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi and welcome to NICO Club!

I'm not sure why your dealership would install a generic brake pad and not support it. Our OEMs did not squeal. I replaced them with duralast from Autozone and they don't squeal either. It sounds like you need to install (or have installed) some reputable brake pads, maybe new rotors and have the hardware all cleaned up and lubricated. There's no good reason for a Versa to squeal.

The visor retaining spring is not really a spring and is part of the visor assembly itself. So, you're looking at a replacement visor. Dealership will be best for this, but a used one from a salvage parts yard would work also if you find one in a nice condition. I have a sagging visor on my 240SX. It hangs down maybe an inch off the roof, so not all the way. Since my car is not worth a whole new visor, my plan is to put a small piece of Velcro on the ceiling and visor to hold the visor up. This could be an acceptable solution for a high mileage car.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Look at the value pads and see if they have the drop-off angles on both ends of the pads, often the big difference in value pads along with the material. You can add those drop-off angles on a simple bench grinder by grinding the pad ends off like the better pads are, the angle there is what stops most brake noise. Past that the material used has much to do with noise. Semi-metallics will make noise as you are running two of almost the same materials against each other. You can't run say steel against steel and NOT make noise, it's impossible.

Return to “Versa General Chat”