V LONG STORY - Overheating - Water Pump or Thermostat - or... both?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
qx4_girl
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 4x4

Buzzman wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:22 pm
qx4_girl wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:38 pm

My dad says that when he was working on my brakes that there's been a drip coming from the middle of the motor. Myself, any time I went to the car I never saw any puddles that looked unusual because I've been to HELL and back with my brake system continuously failing and dripping all over the ground(which is from the wheel well being cracked via whatever the way the previous owner(s) used to drive it - which was hard!). So any time I go over a bump, the line is being stressed. Why anybody would beat on a beautiful truck is BEYOND ME. So the way that I hit bumps was affecting the new line every time. Golly. :bs:

I've replaced the same damn line in the same damn spot because of what I stated previously due to the wheel well being cracked. So my dad and I finally "solved" the issue by bending a metal tube that will half-a** flex until I can find a steel-woven wire and c'est la vie, it'll be like brand-new. As far as overheating, the temp gauge was ALWAYS right in the middle of H and C. Perfectly normal. It never when up, never went down.

Holy smokes people, why has everyone ignored this statement.?
You have a cracked wheel well? Are you familiar with the strut housing recall that came out a few years ago?
This cracked wheel well is not caused by the previous driver or his driving style.
This is a known problem on these vehicles, and should have been checked before you bought it.
You are driving an unsafe vehicle, and it probably shouldn't be on the road right now.
I suggest you go to the nearest dealer and have the serial number checked to see if the recall has been performed.
If not, get it inspected immediately.
Worst case scenario is that the truck is a writeoff. Best case is a repair patch.
Either way, I'd get this thing checked out right away, before you sink any more money into it.
For info on the recall, search this site. There's a long thread on this subject.
Good luck.
I might as well can it. I can't imagine I could get any more for it than what the junk yard would offer. With the issues it has, I don't think any of it could outweigh the good in it with all the new calipers, drums, pads, air filter, oil filter, oil, antifreeze, fresh tires that are months old. My mistake for getting my hopes up and putting work into a car that didn't deserve any of it. As if I have anything else to keep dumping into it. s***, if it really came down to it, I really would buy a new motor despite the hole you can see the engine through, the wheel well with it's bigass crack, the fair amount of rust. I really fell in love with the type of truck it was... I just had to have it. Didn't consider or pay any mind to the SERIOUS amount of body work it needed. Now, the engine is my biggest.

The leak, I found, is coming from the heater hoses. It's a drip that looks like it's from where the tranny meets the engine. I found this thread on another site looking for anything that would be similar. The only difference is that the other person's car wasn't overheating. The overheating is definitely due to the stop leak comprimising the hell out of it. And anything I do, doesn't make it any better. So with this leak in the location it's in is apparently a costly one and meant for serious mechanics.

What concerns me the most is that I won't get something for a trade-in with the condition it's in. God forbid.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

qx4_girl wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:26 am

I can't imagine I could get any more for it than what the junk yard would offer.I really would buy a new motor despite the hole you can see the engine through, the wheel well with it's bigass crack, the fair amount of rust. I really fell in love with the type of truck it was... I just had to have it. Didn't consider or pay any mind to the SERIOUS amount of body work it needed.

What concerns me the most is that I won't get something for a trade-in with the condition it's in.
That says it all right there.
From what you're describing, the recall was probably never performed.
If you can see the engine through a big hole in the wheel well, then you're pretty much up the creek.
I hate to say it, but your truck is probably a write off. Unfit for the road.
Like I said, first thing is, go through the strut recall thread. It's the third sticky from the top. Lots of good info there.
Secondly, write down the serial number of your truck, and go to a dealer and ask them to check it.
With any luck, it will be in their database, and you'll know if it had the recall done.
The sad part is, these trucks, when not rusted out, are great vehicles. I've had mine for 17 years, and it's still running strong.
You just found one that the previous owner didn't take care of.
I suspect that owner knew about the strut recall, and probably knew it was unsafe, but sold it anyway.
I can't fathom how this vehicle ever passed any kind of safety check either. Was it not inspected?
Keep us posted. I'm interested in how it all shakes out.
Thanks.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Alright, so I'm curious where this ended up.
Did you scrap it, sell it, trade it, fix it, check the recall?
Any update would be welcome.
Thanks.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”