UV protection on carbon fiber

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
Shizane2002
Car: 1998 Avenger

Hey everyone. I just recently picked up a brand new ViS OEM style carbon fiber hood about 4 weeks ago. Ive been keeping it very clean and Ive thrown on two good layers of wax on it. The first was Meguiars NXT GEN Tech Wax 2.0 and then yesterday it was Meguiars #26 Yellow Wax.

My concern is in reference to sun fading. I dont have a garage right now so the car sits outside all day. Aside from parking it under a shade tree that frequent my work areas parking lot, would Meguiars wax products provide UV protection to a high degree?

I dont want the carbon fiber to fade into that tacky yellow-ish color. Is there a way I can prevent this if I MUST keep the car outside all day in the sun?

tigersharkdude
Car: 1999 Nissan Maxima

I know some guys will take brand new hoods and get them re-cleared. You should be pretty good as long as you keep taking care of it like you are right now

Extreme Dimensions
Vendor
Car: Maxima, G35 (x3), s2000 (x2) Integra, Tundra, 350z (x2), MR2 turbo, s14,Miata (x2), GMC Envoy, Trailblazer, Jeep Cherokee x 3

It sounds like you're doing a good job of taking care of the hood the way it should be. We offer a 1yr warranty against this type of problem. All of our Carbon Creations parts come with a 1yr warranty against fading/cracking of the clear coat. No other manfacturer offers this type of warranty. We achieve this by adding extra UV protection on the the premium automotive clearcoat we use. Think of it like going from SPF 5 to SPF 30.

Shizane2002
Car: 1998 Avenger

ED, I checked out your site first. Ive been on there for years. I lucked out with a deal from a vendor of ViS with my current hood. Our cars only have 3 selections and I dont the other two. Whenever I get my next car (looking at a 350Z), I'll hit up ED again and see what they have.

I like that warranty plan.

And thanks tigershark..hopefully it stays black this way O_o

Extreme Dimensions
Vendor
Car: Maxima, G35 (x3), s2000 (x2) Integra, Tundra, 350z (x2), MR2 turbo, s14,Miata (x2), GMC Envoy, Trailblazer, Jeep Cherokee x 3

Shizane2002 wrote:ED, I checked out your site first. Ive been on there for years. I lucked out with a deal from a vendor of ViS with my current hood. Our cars only have 3 selections and I dont the other two. Whenever I get my next car (looking at a 350Z), I'll hit up ED again and see what they have.

I like that warranty plan.

And thanks tigershark..hopefully it stays black this way O_o
Not a problem Shane! Let me know when you do pick up your Z. We carry A LOT of parts for the 350z so your selection will be pretty big.

-Ken

Return to “Detailing Forum”