Used Versa Dilemma

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Neecy28
Car: 2017 Nissan Versa Note SV

Firstly, hello everyone my name is Eric and I'm in the market to purchased a used vehicle. I've been looking at this used 2017 Nissan Versa Note (SV) with 41K miles. (VIN number: 3N1CE2CP7HL36441, for a better snapshot of the car past. I've seen the car and the damage to the front is cosmetic). So after countless amount of research, I've read that Nissan CVT transmissions are unreliable. This is very worrisome since I want to keep the car for at least 6 years. My main use for the car will the typical work commute (about 22 miles back and forth), grocery shopping, quick errands, etc. So I don't plan on abusing the car. I would like some input on rather this will be a wise investment, or should I look elsewhere? What are you're experiences with this model? (if applicable), and is the Versa Note a reliable daily commuter?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

The CVT is a known issue with all sorts of Nissan, they go out in no way that can be pre-guessed at, you either got one that doesn't or one that does. The fails happen at no particular mileage or age. Later are probably a bit better but in no way cured 100%.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

I know it's not scientific at all, but we've had 5 Versas and a Juke, and only one has had CVT issues. All recommended maintenance is done by a mechanic who used to work for Nissan, and we do whatever he suggests. Our first 2007 Versa had CVT issues at 178k miles, and my son decided to trade it for a 2015 Versa Note which hasn't had any issues. My daughter had a 2007 Versa which was totaled in an accident at about 100k with no issues. She bought a 2008 and traded it in at about 175k with no CVT issues. I'm driving a 2012 with 83k and no issues. But yes, we've heard that many have had CVT issues.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

I don't call a trans reliable until it has gone over 250K in great numbers myself so I for one set a pretty high bar. Very few of them will go that far.

Mechanic does not come into it at all, the only thing that may is changing the fluid early as compared to Nissan scheduling and the verdict is still out on that too. Driving style has a big impact there too.

I base my conclusions on the teardowns of them and you get an idea of what is bringing them down if you work on mechanical as much as I have.

OP fits right in with what I said if you look. You aren't there...........until you are. Not really a good reason to buy a brand is it? Especially when the exact same issue runs for 10 years with little changing, that tells you about a company that is reticent to spend money to make more customers happy.

2019Versafan
Car: 2019 Versa S

I had a 2012 Versa sedan and never had any transmission issues. I think driving style and regular maintenance are issues. I didn't abuse my car and I made sure it was regularly maintained. I traded it at 71,000 for a 2019 only to avoid the price increase for the 3rd generation Versa. It was a great and reliable car that I hated to trade but saving $3,000 over the cost of a 3rd generation Versa was a powerful motivator as I needed to keep the of the new one as low as I could. So far so good with the new one.

Tutti57
Car: ???

You never know with them. I would definitely try to scan the transmission to see if there is a judder or any pressure codes before buying it. I'll say that the dealership I work at replaces cvts all the time outside of warranty with no charge to the customer. I just did one on a 2013 rogue with about 80k on it. A good dealer who you go to for regular maintenance should be able to do the same in the event of a failure. I saw a sentra cvt fail a few months ago with 30k on it but as others have stated, they can last a long time too.

Return to “Versa General Chat”