USA Spec. PA15-NIS iPod Adapter Review

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
SdotSdotS
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35 Sport

If I pull down my truck liner and it looks exactly like this:
Image ...

Should I have the INF or NIS? I don't have a button that says SAT anywhere on my dashboard and never even cared to try and look for XM or Sirius because I have never had a satellite radio subscription.

If it helps any, I have the tech package with the seat speakers, center console dvd player, navigation, and the A/V connections and cigarette lighter on the back of the center console. That's what I've been using to play my ipod since I got one.

EDIT: (Since I can't delete)
:facepalm: The dip switches. Nevermind, problem solved.... and that box would be my XM tuner. :slap:

Lesson learned here:

DoN_BLaZe34
Car: 2007 M45 Sport - Sold
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

Finally bit the bullet and bought this thing...the sound quality of this thing is ridiculous

One small issue...whenever I switch from the iPod to the radion, then back to the iPod it freezes the entire radio to the point Ihave to turn the car off :wtf2: Ilya, have you had an issue like this??
Last edited by DoN_BLaZe34 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Unplug your iPod, switch back to radio, plug the iPod back in, switch again.

I do get it from time to time as well. But not often enough for me to even mention it as a 'con' to owning the USA spec.

DoN_BLaZe34
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

I will give that a try. I feel a little better knowing that it isn't just me.

Thanks dude

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

No problem.

DoN_BLaZe34
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

No dice :frown: :tisk:

Switching from the radio back to the SAT radio/iPod player causes to whole thing to freeze a few seconds after the song plays to the point where the entire radio seems to be resetting itself and I lose all my presets :confused: :wtf2:

Ilya

DoN_BLaZe34 wrote:No dice :frown: :tisk:

Switching from the radio back to the SAT radio/iPod player causes to whole thing to freeze a few seconds after the song plays to the point where the entire radio seems to be resetting itself and I lose all my presets :confused: :wtf2:
Did you just switch or did you completely unplug your iPod? You need to unplug it completely so it's not detected. Then switch. Then switch back (or plug in first - whichever), and it should work. That's what I do.

Your iPod is locking the system up. I'm not surprised. I'm a PC guy and hate Apple. However, Apple does make good hardware...but unless it's connected to something else that Apple made, it's usually a POS. F Steve Jobs and his company.

I wish there was a serious contender to iTunes/Apple iPod on the market, but unfortunately (unlike their iPhone vs Droid competition)...there is no real competitor in that market.

DoN_BLaZe34
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

Yeah I completely unplug the iPod and the system remains frozen. If I don't turn the car off, then I have to let the radio sit for a few minutes before it resets itself.

Looking like I'll be selling or returning this thing...this blows

Tony Two-Tone
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

Did anyone confirm whether or not this works on the Y34?

mixeaodjservice
Car: Silver 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
Technology Package

Question,

How do you remove the center console section under the armrest (where) the DVD player is installed. I have just installed the PA15-INFI and ran wiring from trunk, behind back of rear seat, under back seat, under rug. I would like to have the wire to go from under rug into that compartment from the bottom. How does the center bay come out.

Thanks.

Tony Two-Tone
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

Check the FSM.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Does anyone know if this works with the iPhone 4S? I just got one for xmas...waaaay better than my old Samsung i760, that thing was a brick and had this tiny little screen.

mixeaodjservice
Car: Silver 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
Technology Package

Look in the FSM? I cannot find it in any of the manuals. Has anyone out there done this? Thanks.

wazzu mille
Car: 2006 M45

First post here as I just bought an 06 and want to add iPod. Here's a few things that confuse me as I can't see any of the pics you guys are posting here:

I have the Tech/NAV pkg. Not sure about satellite but I do have the CAT/RPT button under preset 3. If this is the case can I still use the PA15-NIS instead of the -INFI unit? If so, why doesn't everyone just be safe and use the NIS unit over the INFI unit? It looks like both are the same functionally and only differ in the way it is wired to the vehicle (radio vs. satellite). If I have satellite and use the radio hookup (use a -NIS instead of -INFI), will this be a problem?

I did pull the rear liner and noticed a unit like this behind it:
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/pa15-i ... 5-m45.html

So, does that mean I have a satellite tuner?
I was only hoping to hear that -NIS can be installed regardless of having satellite or not.
I appreciate any replies.

Ilya

I would follow USA Specs. instructions...meaning do NOT get a NIS. If you have that unit above, then yes, you have a satelite tuner.

wazzu mille

Thanks. I will post up some info when I get this hooked up. I"m going to try and do an aftermarket amp and sub to add a bit to the stock set up. I did the same to my A6 (with a factory Bose) and it sounded much better.

Ryan Heo
Car: 1996 Infiniti I30

When I sent an email about the PA15-INFI for 03 M45, they said "Yes". I order the INFI kit but there was no way to install it because of a different connectors. When I called to one of USA spec technicians later,they said that there is no application for 03 M45 and sorry for the email. I will return the INFI kit on Monday.

wazzu mille

I sent an email to USA Spec and they asked me to call them. Spoke with Joe at Tech Support and explained the 2 different answers I'm getting on this forum. He said to use the -NIS just to be safe. He said the only reason they make both units is because their products are geared toward "do it yourselfers" and most guys would rather tie into the satellite harness if they have it since it's much simpler. When asked why not just tell customers to order the PA15-NIS unit just to be safe (since it's the same unit functionally), he replied that most do it yourselfers get a bit scared when dealing with Nissan/Infiniti harnesses that also tie into the airbag. He said that unless you know what you're doing, the manufacturers try to scare off people from messing around back behind the radio and potentially setting off the airbags. He said it's not a big deal for installers. So for me, the PA15-NIS would be fine as I would just take it to my local installer and put the burden on them. Since I found a USASpec reseller (instead of the regular shop I frequent), they will be the one's to set the airbag off. LOL.

Ryan Heo
Car: 1996 Infiniti I30

So, does PA15-NIS work for 03 M45?

asavage
Car: 2006 M35 Sport RWD

I was wondering which iPod/iPhone adapter to install in our 2006 M35 Sport, until I read this review and the others who chimed in. Thanks to you pioneers, I went ahead and installed a PA15-INFI, and Wow! does it ever sound good. We just took a 1400 mile trip, and it works great. My install.

Ilya

You're welcome.

freshy03
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

How do i know whether i have XM satelite or not.. Is there something that will show on the dashboard or something on the front?? I want to know whether to get the NIS or the INFI

Ilya

If you have a CAT button on your radio that means you are satelite capable (no tuner installed). If you hit the Radio button twice and it goes to XM and seems to connect, then you have Satelite and need the INFI module not the NIS module.

It's all on their site.

freshy03

IlyaKol wrote:If you have a CAT button on your radio that means you are satelite capable (no tuner installed). If you hit the Radio button twice and it goes to XM and seems to connect, then you have Satelite and need the INFI module not the NIS module.

It's all on their site.

Thanks i am picking up my car on thursday so i will check.. Will the NIS module work on both??

freshy03

freshy03 wrote:
IlyaKol wrote:If you have a CAT button on your radio that means you are satelite capable (no tuner installed). If you hit the Radio button twice and it goes to XM and seems to connect, then you have Satelite and need the INFI module not the NIS module.

It's all on their site.

Thanks i am picking up my car on thursday so i will check.. Will the NIS module work on both??

Also if i do not have a CAT button.. Does that mean i just use NIS module

freshy03

or can i just use the INFI module for both of them.

freshy03

wazzu mille wrote:I sent an email to USA Spec and they asked me to call them. Spoke with Joe at Tech Support and explained the 2 different answers I'm getting on this forum. He said to use the -NIS just to be safe. He said the only reason they make both units is because their products are geared toward "do it yourselfers" and most guys would rather tie into the satellite harness if they have it since it's much simpler. When asked why not just tell customers to order the PA15-NIS unit just to be safe (since it's the same unit functionally), he replied that most do it yourselfers get a bit scared when dealing with Nissan/Infiniti harnesses that also tie into the airbag. He said that unless you know what you're doing, the manufacturers try to scare off people from messing around back behind the radio and potentially setting off the airbags. He said it's not a big deal for installers. So for me, the PA15-NIS would be fine as I would just take it to my local installer and put the burden on them. Since I found a USASpec reseller (instead of the regular shop I frequent), they will be the one's to set the airbag off. LOL.
How did this work out for you???

Ilya

If you don't have a CAT button, the USA Spec. will not work for you. Just go to their site.

CPJ LB
Car: 12 G37X Sedan- stealthy modded
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

Hey big thanks Ilyakol!!! I just got my car back from the audio shop....they installed the
USA Spec PA-15 NIS for me and I must say: the sound/music is NICE!!!! It's soooo much clearer!!!

I run my iTouch and it's very simple...my installer provided me with a few tips:

on the center counsel press the "RADIO" buttion twice and it'll allow you to find the "DIRECT" or "Ipod DIRECT" selection...this gives you the ability to use the actual Ipod (in my case the iTouch) and it's functions instead of worrying about the cars audio functions...I'm using it this way since my passengers can use the iTouch and I can control the volume with the steering wheel :naughty:

If I switch out of "iPod DIRECT" mode, then I just use the cars audio/search functions for the iTouch

Overall, I'm really pleased with the sound quality...I'm ordering flush mount subs and amps to give a little bump in the trunk :bigthumb:

geedub808
Car: 06 m35 sport

Awesome write up! I've been reading and reading this thread so that today for instance was a breeze!
I recieved my PA15-nis and the install was little more than 2 hours, taking my time just to make sure i had the right DIP switches set, and the ipod was working correctly. only thing that kills me is that there is no real onscreen text, and no real steering wheel controls, but hey I'm happy.
Thanks @ilyakol
next install when i recieve it is my cowon AC1(camera/blackbox)

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”