Upgrading sound system on 2018 rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
nayers1981
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue SL

Ked, you have been a great help. I switched up and got the scosche lnn10 as well. tried pac and axxess, and didn't care for them. it installed easily, I had to switch out pins though and add a remote wire, but that was simple enought. I have the Bose in my rogue, so I switched out the speaker wires for RCAs to integrate directly with my radio. and for the first time the backup camera came on, but it will only stay on for about 5-10 seconds, so I now need to figure out what is causing this.. Any ideas of what could be happening?

Ked
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue Sport SV

nayers1981 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:56 am
Ked, you have been a great help. I switched up and got the scosche lnn10 as well. tried pac and axxess, and didn't care for them. it installed easily, I had to switch out pins though and add a remote wire, but that was simple enough. I have the Bose in my rogue, so I switched out the speaker wires for RCAs to integrate directly with my radio. and for the first time the backup camera came on, but it will only stay on for about 5-10 seconds, so I now need to figure out what is causing this.. Any ideas of what could be happening?
That's good information to know that the LNN10 is working for you, as I have not tackled the re-installtion yet due to snow! So, you have a 2018 Rogue that came with the Bose system? I can see where that would be a bit tricky. The tech at Scosche told me that this kit was for the non-Bose installations, presumably because of the additional wires required? Generally, I am very disappointed with the solutions out there in that these seeme incomplete. There is a company called Spiral Audio that makes Interface/harness kits for the Rogue in the standard non-Bose audio configuration, as well as the Bose system. I believe that their Bose kit is wired the way you need it, but these seem to be out of stock anyway.

The backup camera is something that I may need to deal with as well. Currently. I have the old Axxess ASWC-1 Interface and the 120NI32S6V Backup Camera Adapter with 120AXCAM6V voltage regulator. These were intended to be used together (Mine seems to actually work randomly and doesn't always produce an image on the screen when shifting in reverse).If I use the LNN10, then I lose the camera. So, then that will need to be addressed. Based on what you mentioned, how are you making the the camera connections with the LNN10 installed, since there is no camera support included with it?

The problem with the interface kits is that these only provide the wire connections to make its own functionality work. Thus, there are no wires for features like camera, microphone, etc., that can be tapped into.

nayers1981

I found a great site that helps with the pin outs for the connections. https://pinoutguide.com/Car-Stereo-Niss ... nout.shtml
I was able to modify the pin outs on my 20 and 24 pin plugs.that came with the LNN10. I added the .remote wire that was missing from the LNN10, and replaced the speaker wires to the RCAs. I even found the correct pin out for the backup camera, and added it to the LNN10 harness. the neat thing is retains the all around view camera. I am wondering f that's part of the reason the camera will only stay on for 5-10 seconds then goes black again. I can go from park to reverse and the camera won't come back on, but if I turn the car off and turn it back on, the backup camera will work again for the 5-10 seconds then it's gone to a black screen again. I just wonder if there isn't enough 6v (watts)to power the surround view? not sure...

Ked

Yes, I stumbled upon that sire this week, in fact. I found the radio pin-out to the 2018 Rogue and trust that it is similar to the Rogue Sport. That diagram looks like it's for a non-Bose which is okay, but my factory radio looks similar with the exception that mine has the SiriusXM built into the radio with one additional antenna connection. No big deal, I guess. So even though you are using the correct wires for the camera, what are you using for a voltage regulator? In order to power the camera from a 12-volt source on the single-camera configuration, you need to use a voltage regulator to step down from 12-volt to 6-volt. PAC makes one called the Volt-39 which is super easy and has a dip switch to set the voltage that you want to reduce to from 12-volts (9v, 6v, 5v, 3.3v). I am going to use this to retain the integrated Rogue microphone to the aftermarket stereo. This is why I also bought the PAC-CAM-NI1. I may use it to retail the camera with some modifications, but primarily this harness also is a pass-through that provides EVERY wire connection, so it is easy to cut and connect to the desired signals without touching the factory harness or tryng to add additional wires to an SWC interface harness, if it's possible.

But, if you have the all around camera then there is a central controller that all the cameras connect to. Perhaps there are additional wires involved that are not addressed in the pin-out diagram from that site?

Ked

During the initial installtion, I lost one of the 4 screws that hold the radio into the dashboard. I contacted Nissan and they said that it's only available when buying the complete bracket assembly, but I think they misunderstood. I don't need the screws that attach that the bracket to the radio. The screws that hold the radio into dashboard should be a dash assembly part. I need to find an aftermarket solution, perhaps.

nayers1981

So for the voltage regulation, I am using the one that came with the axxcess AX-NIS24SWC-6V. I don't know why the camera doesn't stay engages on reverse. I saw the pac-cam-NI1, but never though about utilizing it to train and retain the factory. I really hate that Nissan Rogue especially are so hard to figure this stuff out. I have never had so many issues installing a radio and retaining the factory cam, steering wheel, etc.. it's like the aftermarket peeps don't want to really deal with it. I been trying since June to get the camera to work properly.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The cams on all the late model stuff are necessarily linked to the ADAS system for features like Moving Object Detection (MOD) and Blind Spot Warning (BSW) at a minimum, not to mention the more advanced driver assistance features. It isn't possible to simply co-opt the rear cam signal without affecting other systems like it was in the old days when the cam only fed the center AV screen. There isn't much that can be done about that, those extra driving aids demand the increased complexity and a corresponding loss in the ability to easily modify the system.

Ked

It looks like the Scosche LNN10 is a no-go for the Rogue Sport - despite being told by Scosche technical support that it works. The secondary harness is wrong and should be the Nissan 32-pin harness (the harness on the Scosche is too small. I took the PAC-CAM-NI1 that arrived today and plugged it into the back of the radio - which fit like a glove. When I started thinking about the connector again this morning based on all the photos and information I have, I took out the factory radio from storage and looked at the secondary connector and it does not match the secondary connector on the Scosche.

Now, I ordered the Spiral Audio IX-NI003-1 which appears to have all of the connections (AUX, USB, Camera Retention, SWC interface) in one package.

nayers1981

the LNN10 will work for me, it is installed and the steering wheel controls work as does everything else. which this has happened with others such as axxess and pac harness but the camera retention hasn't worked out, as the around view will come on then go off after a few seconds using a 6v step down from the 12v. Reading other forums for the nissan kick with the 360 around view, they mention 5v not 6v so I am getting the pac-39 as you stated so I can step it down to 5v instead of 6v hoping this was the issue as it is simply getting too much power and it cuts out. will reach back out and let you know what happens.

Ked

nayers1981 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:45 am
the LNN10 will work for me, it is installed and the steering wheel controls work as does everything else. which this has happened with others such as axxess and pac harness but the camera retention hasn't worked out, as the around view will come on then go off after a few seconds using a 6v step down from the 12v. Reading other forums for the nissan kick with the 360 around view, they mention 5v not 6v so I am getting the pac-39 as you stated so I can step it down to 5v instead of 6v hoping this was the issue as it is simply getting too much power and it cuts out. will reach back out and let you know what happens.
Thanks. It's still good to know other people's experiences. The problem is that the secondary connector on the Rogue Sport is the larger 32-pin connector. Just for giggles, I pulled the factory radio out from the closet and compared. Then I took the PAC-NI-CAM1 and noted that the connectors are not compatible with the LNN10, but the PAC-NI-CAM1 plugged right into the factory radio! It's been 3 years and I didn't remember ALL of the nuances of the installtion. Instead of just taking pictures of the end result, I should have taken more of the interior dash once I pulled it all apart. This information is very helpful to others trying to accomplish the same task. At least now with the Spiral Audio kit, everything is covered in that harness (SWC, AUX, USB, Camera). The only task I need to do is to integrate the factory wired microphone, which again, seems to only need a 5-volt regulator and an 1/8 inch mono mic cable tapped into the wiring.

With the Axxess camera kit, the included voltage regulator does step down to 6.2 volts (so keep it if you still have it). I am reading in all the nomenclature out there that the Nissan single backup camera is still 6.2v. Your situation may be different, but I am willing to bet that in my case the old Axxess SWC is not providing the correct reverse trigger at all times. We'll see I guess when this is all over.

nayers1981

the problem I am having with the regulator that can't with the axxess kit is that the camera will come on the arrive view will cameras will she up, but it goes to a black screen after a few seconds.. then goes back to radio once I put in park or drive. it's very frustrating lol.. spending so much time and effort only for it to continuously fail. I don't have enough electrical knowledge to diagnose and resolve the issue, and I really don't want to pay a car audio place to do it, and even then who knows if they will succeed without wanting to install all new cameras..

nayers1981

nayers1981 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:10 am
the problem I am having with the regulator that came with the axxess kit is that the cameras will come on in reverse, but it goes to a black screen after a few seconds.. then goes back to radio once I put in park or drive. it's very frustrating lol.. spending so much time and effort only for it to continuously fail. I don't have enough electrical knowledge to diagnose and resolve the issue, and I really don't want to pay a car audio place to do it, and even then who knows if they will succeed without wanting to install all new cameras..

Ked

nayers1981 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:55 pm
nayers1981 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:10 am
the problem I am having with the regulator that came with the axxess kit is that the cameras will come on in reverse, but it goes to a black screen after a few seconds.. then goes back to radio once I put in park or drive. it's very frustrating lol.. spending so much time and effort only for it to continuously fail. I don't have enough electrical knowledge to diagnose and resolve the issue, and I really don't want to pay a car audio place to do it, and even then who knows if they will succeed without wanting to install all new cameras..
I think more information is needed about how the all-around view camera system works. It's on my wife's Murano, but how many cameras are there exactly - something like 4?

Ked

Ked

Very important lessons for today:

The same model year Rogue and the Rogue Sport are not cut from the same cloth. Even though my Nissan dealer asserted to me that the "Rogue Sport" is the same vehicle only one foot shorter in length and several inches shorter in height, these vehicles have some very distinct differences that even some aftermarket vendors (Schosche, Cruthfield, etc.) may not fully understand. I bought my gear based on their expertise and knowledge in the products they sell versus the platforms they match for me. I guess I was wrong in placing my complete faith in the vendor. Case in point:

Here is a picture of the Scosche LNN10 SWC interface and harness, to which Scosche tech support and several other vendors advised me would work in the Rogue Sport. This is incorrect. Here is a picture of the LNN10. Based on nayers1981 confirmation, this fits fine and works in the 2018 Nissan Rogue:

This does not work in the 2018 Rogue Sport for several reasons. The secondary connector is incorrect for the Rogue Sport, as well as the missing AUX harness.

Now here is a picture of the Spiral Audio IX-NI003-1 which includes the camera retention support. Notice that the secondary connector is the larger 32-pin connector, the AUX harness adapter, and of course the black USB adapter. This should be the correct harness and configuration for the 2018 Rogue Sport. NOTE: The IX-NI003-1 is for non-factory Navigation/non-Premium Bose installations. Basically, it's for the Rogue Sport S and SV with the 4.3 inch screen radio/Cd player, SiriusXM tuner.

Regards,
Ked

This also has an integrated 12volt to 6volt converter:

Dskipps
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue

Ked, have you installed the spiral audio harness? I too am looking at ordering from them, I look forwrd to your results!!

Ked

Dskipps wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:18 pm
Ked, have you installed the spiral audio harness? I too am looking at ordering from them, I look forward to your results!!
I didn't get that far yet - snow and rain this weekend made it difficult to get outside! However I did get as far as preparing the harness connection to the main Alpine wiring harness. I bought an extra Alpine harness over the holiday to prepare all of this without taking the radio out of the car and leaving a big hole in the center console until I can work on the connections indoors. However, I can share the following picture of the harness, which is mostly complete for now.

It is important to note that on the Alpine iLX-F309, there are 4 distinct subharnesses. This picture represents the bulk of the connections that needed to be made to the Spiral Audio harness. There is one connection from that needs to connect to the Alpine GPS subharness that is installed in the car right now (The Vehicle Speed Sensor). That is a simple connection that I will make when I remove the radio and previous harness assembly. To prepare for that, I used an old wiring block that I bought from Radio Shack about 25 years ago and never used. This will allow me to also make the simple connections to Chassis Ground, Amplifier Remote Turn-On, and Power antenna turn-on.

Another subharness from the Spiral Audio adapter is the steering wheel cable and interface module. There is only an additional ground wire for that cable that will tie into the ground on my wiring block. This connects to the open multi-connector on the main harness in the previous picture. One of the looped wires will need to be cut, depending on what head unit you're installing (Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.).

Ked

Based on the information in the 2018 Rogue Service manual and first hand observations of the wiring from the initial installation attempt, here is my proposed diagram for retaining the factory microphone. From what I've read, some previous generations of the Rogue had a Bluetooth interface module installed in the vehicle, separated from the radio. I don't know at what point Nissan changed this, but clearly in the 2018 Rogue Sport the microphone is wired directly into the radio and receives 5 volts from it. Here is what I have compiled. this may apply to other Nissan models, but please confirm before attempting to do something like this:

Ked

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Ked wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:58 am
From what I've read, some previous generations of the Rogue had a Bluetooth interface module installed in the vehicle, separated from the radio.
Only the gen1 Rogues used a separate BT module, everything '14-up has it integrated.

Ked

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:42 pm
Ked wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:58 am
From what I've read, some previous generations of the Rogue had a Bluetooth interface module installed in the vehicle, separated from the radio.
Only the gen1 Rogues used a separate BT module, everything '14-up has it integrated.
Thank you for confirming that. I read that a particular generation of the Juke had the separate BT module - and the guy had designed this elaborate workaround because the internal microphone paird via Bluetooth. But this makes it much easier.

Ked

Ked

Here is the PAC-NICAM1 that I am now using as a pass-through break-out harness to modify the wires that I need to connect the factory microphone. It's not done yet, but I figured that I'd post what is comp;eted. It's pretty close to being done.

nayers1981

Ked,

I went ahead and purchased the Spiral Audio kit as well to see if this would actually work. But once I have received the harness, I have realized it will not work. There is no harness that will accommodate the backup camera on the SL model, as there is no power supplied via the harness natively. Looking at other harnesses, such as the PAC RP4-NI11. They state to make a direct connection from the Around View Monitor Control Unit with an RCA and plug that directly into the aftermarket radio connection. Almost to the point of simply replacing the cameras and feeding them to the aftermarket radio, as this has cost me too much time and money to try and figure out lol. Might try the direct connection first then go the new cam route.

Ked

nayers1981 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:59 am
Ked,

I went ahead and purchased the Spiral Audio kit as well to see if this would actually work. But once I have received the harness, I have realized it will not work. There is no harness that will accommodate the backup camera on the SL model, as there is no power supplied via the harness natively. Looking at other harnesses, such as the PAC RP4-NI11. They state to make a direct connection from the Around View Monitor Control Unit with an RCA and plug that directly into the aftermarket radio connection. Almost to the point of simply replacing the cameras and feeding them to the aftermarket radio, as this has cost me too much time and money to try and figure out lol. Might try the direct connection first then go the new cam route.
You have to be careful with these interface kits - or you'll run into the situation that I did with the Scoche LNN10. Clearly, there is a wiring difference between the 2018 Rogue and 2018 Rogue Sport that extends to the secondary harness configuration. But the main questio is - and I didn't find if you mentioned this or not - but did your Rogue have the Factory Navigation system installed? This apparently is a big deal and may be the reason for the wiring harness differences. For all I know the, Rogue Sport SL with Factory Navigation might have the same harness as your Rogue. That would explain some of the ambiguity I have been reading in the marketing materials out there for these products.

The thing about Spiral Audio is that they sell separate interface kits for both the standard Display Audio radio and those Rogues equipped with Factory Navigation. There is a Rogue Service manual Online. After reviewing the Factory Navigation with All Around view, there is an Around View Monitor Control Unit in your Rogue, possibly installed behind the glove box? There is a reverse trigger wire from that unit, but it's a little more complicated so I am going to continue to read on. But that is where I think the source of your dilemma is. The Around View Monitor Control Unit supplies the "Vehicle width guide lines, predicted course line, vehicle front guiding line and vehicle side line, and vehicle icon are displayed and combined with camera images."

We need to understand a little more about this.

Ked

Well, after studying the 2018 Rogue Service manual, there are three type of installations: Display Audio Unit (Standard), Navigation without BOSE, and Navigation with BOSE. If you have Navigation without BOSE, it lists three connections from the head unit for camera relevance: Pin 25 which is Reverse, Pin 41 (Cam +) and 42 (Cam - (SHIELD) are the Composite Camera Signal. There is no voltage regulation needed that I can see, because the Around View Cameras connect to the AVCU (Around View Control unit) and receive power from that unit. All of the cameras connected to that AVCU have 6.2v power supplied from that unit. This means that you do not have to worry about connecting any additional voltage regulators.

On the other hand, when i look at the wiring for the AVCU wiring connector, Pin 23 (SHIELD-Ground) and 24 (Video +) output the composite video signal so that it goes to the radio. Where it gets difficult is the CAMERA button on the Factory Navigation System. I don't know how you would replicate that functionality on an aftermarket radio to select the independent display of each camera view. At minimum, if you've at least tapped into the Composite video signal and reverse wire you should get a reverse trigger. But I guess yuu'd have to see if your aftermarket has a way to manually toggle the camera on so that you can get a picture of the All Around View.

All Around View with Driver Assistance is a whole other animal. Do you have the Driver Asssitance feature as well? If so, it's a different wiring configuration. In which case, Pin 47 (Ground-SHIELD) and 48 (Vide0 +) are the composite video signal output.

drosen86
Car: Silver 2013 Rogue SV AWD

How about the 10 inch or Tesla style touch screen radio?
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DCh ... ECQ&adurl=

Ked

drosen86 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:09 am
How about the 10 inch or Tesla style touch screen radio?
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DCh ... ECQ&adurl=
It looks nice and interesting, but there are many unknowns about these Chinese radios that may make it difficult to justify a purchase. You can see an installation on Youtube of this radio in a Rogue - and it looks like there's a bit more to it than just plug and play. There is still a couple of harnesses to resolve and some extras if you want to add in order to enjoy (e.g. external amplifier and wiring to speakers, wireless Carplay). I also take great comfort in an aftermarket radio interfacing with the car's environmental controls that can potentially impact function or even.

I'd like to get some qualitative feedback from those who have already installed it in a Rogue or Rogue Sport and have been using it for at least a year.

nayers1981

I am sorry it's been awhile since I've been on, but I want to follow up with you. The reverse camera is coming one once in a great while , no power is added to the harness. So I am wondering if the signal from the reverse from the radio is not strong enough or doesn't send the correct pulse To the reverse camera all around system to trigger it.

Also to add, this is for the 360 around view that pops up, not just one camera. I hadn't messed around with connecting just to the rear view camera yet. So I am intrigued if I can get the around view to work properly.. maybe the reverse signal to the radio isn't strong enough to trigger it...

Ked

nayers1981 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:46 pm
I am sorry it's been awhile since I've been on, but I want to follow up with you. The reverse camera is coming one once in a great while , no power is added to the harness. So I am wondering if the signal from the reverse from the radio is not strong enough or doesn't send the correct pulse To the reverse camera all around system to trigger it.

Also to add, this is for the 360 around view that pops up, not just one camera. I hadn't messed around with connecting just to the rear view camera yet. So I am intrigued if I can get the around view to work properly.. maybe the reverse signal to the radio isn't strong enough to trigger it...
I'm sure someone has done it. When I look at the Rogue Service Manual, it looks like the Camera Control Unit is doing all the work. Although, I don't see a reverse signal wire coming of the Around View Control Unit. So I guess the only reverse signal is off the secondary radio harness?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Ked wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:27 pm
When I look at the Rogue Service Manual, it looks like the Camera Control Unit is doing all the work. Although, I don't see a reverse signal wire coming of the Around View Control Unit. So I guess the only reverse signal is off the secondary radio harness?
The AVM will be getting the reverse signal via CAN. Probably from the AV Unit, which is problematic for the around-view since you're replacing the mother ship.

nayers1981

So in trouble shooting, I need to make sure the head unit is out putting a 12v signal from the reverse wire as this is what the avm is looking for to initialize the back up camera. If it doesn't, need to look at an alternative..

Return to “Rogue Forum”