*update* removed navigation and rewired automatic climate control

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
karly
Car: nissan pathfindee 2001

Hi Sroberts My name is Karly i have been looking everywere tofind a Navigation systeme for my nissan patfinder i can not found any. i went only i saw youw are the one who had the same problem and you replace it toa non navagation sysyem do i buy one from a nissn pathfinder bt i have a problem to conect the wires . do you have any video or picture that i can see witch wires colors you conected together that i can conecting mine please. thank you alredy for your big helps.

karly
Car: nissan pathfindee 2001

Hi guys may one you you have a video or picture that i can see clairely witch colores that you match from thw navigation to non navigation system?

sroberts
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD

In case anyone's looking to do this project there's an auto climate control on ebay that includes wiring, making it a rare find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Pathfin ... 2392021185

sanyo
Car: 2001 Pathfinder

nissanclub2001 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:07 am
Sroberts:
Any chance you still have pics showing wire colors and pin positions on this? It would help me out tremendously. Please.let me know
Thx
Pete
[email protected]

tophatl
Car: 2001.5 Nissan Pathfinder LE
1973 Datsun 620

I just finished this job over the weekend. I had an 01 Pathfinder LE and since my trim was falling apart (ugly fake wood), I decided to swap to an 01-04 QX4 center, since it looks better and costs less for trim and CC unit. ($60 shipped in my case). It swaps over, with a few minor changes from the guides in this thread. Here are some notes:

1. THERE ARE DUPLICATE COLORS. They almost always do NOT do the same thing. I started popping pins out of the connectors assuming that I wouldn't need to know where they indexed in the original plug. Big mistake. That cost me a few hours of toning out wires and measuring impedance to figure out if it went to a motor or relay.

2. Make sure you get the right FSM for the year of your car and the donor CC. There were some color changes between 01 (my car) and 02 (my donor unit). There were more duplicate colors on my car and only two or three on the donor unit. Even better, just follow the location from the original and destination plug. After getting mixed up, I printed the wiring diagrams for both an 01 pathfinder and an 02 qx4 and went through each page with them side-by-side, marking them off as I moved each wire over to the new plug. It went much easier that way.

3. If you're going from 01-02 pathfinder to qx4 (or 03-04 path LE) CC unit, you'll need to borrow some wires from the original rear defog plug, since the CC unit has the rear defog switch. The original hazard light plug mates up with the new hazard light switch. The cig lighter connector is the same as well. You will need to run two new sets of wires for illumination on the ash tray and cig lighter.

I hope this helps. Good luck to all attempting it...one new challenge is getting a quality copy of the right FSM for the job now that nissan forced nico to take down their database.

sroberts

nissanclub2001 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:07 am
Sroberts:
Any chance you still have pics showing wire colors and pin positions on this? It would help me out tremendously. Please.let me know
Thx
Pete
Pete, not all colors match between the old and new connectors so you cannot go by color. Use the HA reference document, http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/QX4/2001%20 ... tioner.pdf. On page 40 it shows pinouts of the NAV and non-NAV connectors. I went pin by pin, matching the pins by function. For example, "ECM Signal" is on pin 6 of the Non-NAV connector, yet is on pin 17 of the NAV connector. So I took the wire from my NAV harness that terminates at pin 17 and spliced it to the wire that terminates at pin 6 of the Non-NAV connector. Most of the time the color will match.

Be sure to correctly match the orientation of the plugs to the pinouts shown in the manual. I used the voltages in the manual to double check pin function with a voltmeter to be sure I had the correct wires identified.

It's hard to believe I did this in 2012. I am really loving the Android Head Unit in my Pathfinder.

pulgas991
Car: 2001 Nissan pathfinder

Am not sure but can i remove the little black box from behind of the a/c unit controls on a 20001 nissan pathfinder and install an automatic unit with out navi if so need help with the wires :confused: :confused:

happynole
Car: Panda - 1995 Infiniti G20 rebadged as Nissan Primera 2.0 eGT
Sandy - 1999 Infiniti G20t daily driver
Q - 2001 Infiniti QX4 Gloria's whip

I just completed this project today in Gloria's 2001 QX4. The google docs link for rewiring the new and old plugs was invaluable.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3ZOuhE ... Ou5o5oxDLc

If I can figure out how to post the pictures here that I posted in the R50 group on Facebook I will do so. BTW, it anyone else does know here is the link to those:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/R50.Pat ... 314691368/

mindora
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

Ninjakills1 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2012 6:35 am

Okay this picture might help some you guys on here trying to figure out which wires are needed to be connected to the AC control unit.

NOTE:
the pink-stripe wires (green and black stripes) are not used even though they are supposed to be for illumination?

NOTE: also know these wires will come/run out from the left side of the car radio head unit. I will try to post a picture of what that looks like.

Here's another closer look at my wiring for the AC control unit. ***ENJOY***

Hello guys, I wonder how did you do that, the wires of my car and shown on this picture doesn't match, I want to do the same what should I do? I've a qx4 2001.

mindora

Hello guys, I wonder how did you do that, the wires of my car and shown on this picture doesn't match, I want to do the same what should I do? I've a qx4 2001. Tanks
Attachments
315290.jpg
315290.jpg (20.49 KiB) Viewed 3962 times

sedrickewells

This has gots to be the most frustrating thing ever. For the most part these post are mis leading and vague. Most of you are worried about fitment of the radio when the underlying topic is the climate control conversion. Everyone that has claimed to have done it won't post clear pictures or videos of or instructions of the process. You all keep referring to a service manual but the link only sends you to the same forum. Is there anyone that has done this conversation "successfully" that can post step by step instruction on what wires match and don't match? I already have a new bezel and my new double din head unit fits great. I just want straight forward instructions on the wire combination I need to make the conversion complete. PLEASE!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

sedrickewells wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:26 pm
This has gots to be the most frustrating thing ever. For the most part these post are mis leading and vague. Most of you are worried about fitment of the radio when the underlying topic is the climate control conversion. Everyone that has claimed to have done it won't post clear pictures or videos of or instructions of the process. You all keep referring to a service manual but the link only sends you to the same forum. Is there anyone that has done this conversation "successfully" that can post step by step instruction on what wires match and don't match? I already have a new bezel and my new double din head unit fits great. I just want straight forward instructions on the wire combination I need to make the conversion complete. PLEASE!
:welcome:

Which FSM are you having trouble with?
2001 Pathfinder https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... %2Ffwd.pdf

2001 QX4 https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... mation.pdf

sroberts

Hey sedrickewells, yeah there are some unhelpful posts here, would be great if they could be removed. You need the HA manual as indicated in prior posts. I did this job and it wasn't difficult. PM me your email and I'll send the manuals.

sroberts

It is not complicated to wire the climate control. The Heating & Air (HA) manual has all of the information needed.

Your truck with NAV+climate control has connectors M104, M105, where the climate control you've acquired has a wiring harness with connectors M102, M103. Find these connectors and the pin-out tables for them starting on pg 42 in the 2001.5+ manual.

All you have to do is map and join wires between the "Without Navigation System" and "With Navigation System". There are a total of 36 wire terminals though not all of them will be mapped.

Map the wires by function, not by color (most colors will match). For example, Terminal No. 6 is "ECM Signal" on the "Without Navigation System" M103 connector. And "ECM Signal" is Terminal No. 17 on the "With Navigation System" M104 connector. Find the wire connected to #17 on your truck's existing harness (M104), and join it to Terminal No 6 on the M103 harness that connects to the climate control that you've acquired. Map, join the other wires likewise. If a wire is not mapped to M102/M103, it is not used.

Before you start splicing wires, make sure you verify the pin numbers. I do not recall if the pins are counted from the front or back of the connector. You can use a multimeter to be sure of the connector orientation, for example pin 24 on your existing harness should be BATTERY VOLTAGE, 12v, while pin 32 should be GROUND.

mindora

wow, Thank you very very much ))

sedrickewells

sroberts wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:53 pm
It is not complicated to wire the climate control. The Heating & Air (HA) manual has all of the information needed.

Your truck with NAV+climate control has connectors M104, M105, where the climate control you've acquired has a wiring harness with connectors M102, M103. Find these connectors and the pin-out tables for them starting on pg 42 in the 2001.5+ manual.

All you have to do is map and join wires between the "Without Navigation System" and "With Navigation System". There are a total of 36 wire terminals though not all of them will be mapped.

Map the wires by function, not by color (most colors will match). For example, Terminal No. 6 is "ECM Signal" on the "Without Navigation System" M103 connector. And "ECM Signal" is Terminal No. 17 on the "With Navigation System" M104 connector. Find the wire connected to #17 on your truck's existing harness (M104), and join it to Terminal No 6 on the M103 harness that connects to the climate control that you've acquired. Map, join the other wires likewise. If a wire is not mapped to M102/M103, it is not used.

Before you start splicing wires, make sure you verify the pin numbers. I do not recall if the pins are counted from the front or back of the connector. You can use a multimeter to be sure of the connector orientation, for example pin 24 on your existing harness should be BATTERY VOLTAGE, 12v, while pin 32 should be GROUND.

[email protected]
For some reason I can not get this to save my life.been sitting here looking at these wires so long I had to take a nap. As I stated before the info in this forum and the manuel's suggested are still useless cause 1) the wires in my wiring harness don't seem to match with any of the diagrams I've been looking at.2) trying to match color for color does nothing cause there are multiple same color wires on the truck (with Navi) and on the donor without Navi. A thorough video or (complete) detailed run down of the process would be appreciated. Heck I'm willing to cash app anyone that can accommodate this. Sroberts if you're listening you can reach me @ [email protected] or he'll give me a call 334
., @$ 314 #&>%@ 5323

sroberts

Hey sedrickewells, it's been several years since I did this work, I don't have a video or anything.

Your truck should have 2 connectors that used to plug into an auto climate control unit, pictured below. These connectors are M104, M105, described in the above manual page.

You should have acquired a climate control with a wiring harness that has M102, M103 connectors, similar to the one below.

You need to map pins 1-20 from M104 on your truck's existing connector to pins on M103, which is on the harness you've acquired. Likewise map pins 21-36 from M105 on your truck to M102 on your new harness. I suggest you put stickers to ID the harness # on the 2 plugs from your truck and 2 plugs on the harness you've acquired.

I do not think the pin numbers are identified on the connectors, so you need to figure out the orientation of the pins. You can do this by checking voltage or ohms to confirm the pin function.

I believe I started by identifying #24 on M104 (BATTERY VOLTAGE). On your multimeter, connect (+)/RED probe to this pin, and (-)/BLK probe to ground and you should have +12V showing. In the manual, you can see that BATTERY VOLTAGE is on connecter M102 pin #26. So M104 #24 needs to be joined to M102 #26. The wires for these 2 pins are probably the same color, perhaps RED since they are +12V BATTERY VOLTAGE.

Next you might find M105 #32 (Ground). This pin should show 0 ohms resistance when checked with a known ground source on the truck. This wire maps to M102 #32. The wires for these pins may be BLK since they are ground, but they don't have to be.

Once you confirm a few pins, you'll be able to tell the pin numbering scheme and can count the rest. Most of the wire colors should match between similar pin functions.

sedrickewells

Virginia_DC wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:12 pm
Finished this job today. Took about two hours and was frustrating at times but the non-nav controller is in and works perfectly. I had also taken the stereo and 6 CD changer from the junkyard so I just changed everything out. All I need is a bezel from a non-nav with similar features and I'm set. Thanks to all for the help.
Can you give some insight on the process? I've been at this for weeks and just can't figure it out. The plugs I have don't match up with the diagrams I've been looking at and the colors definitely don't all match up.

sroberts

sedrickewells, post photos of your connectors. Have you located the auto climate control from your truck? It is the black box pictured above. Do you have the connectors that plug into it? If so then you have M104 (20 pins) & M105 (16 pins). Did you acquire a climate control with a wiring harness? If so then you also have M102 (16 pins) and M103 (20 pins).

skittlenips
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

sroberts wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:48 pm
sedrickewells, post photos of your connectors. Have you located the auto climate control from your truck? It is the black box pictured above. Do you have the connectors that plug into it? If so then you have M104 (20 pins) & M105 (16 pins). Did you acquire a climate control with a wiring harness? If so then you also have M102 (16 pins) and M103 (20 pins).
Have to revive this old thread, does the pin count go from the front of the connector (M104, M105) or the back of the connector (where the wires are coming out of?) I could never find this one answered.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

In Nissan WD's, when you see two lines around the outside of the connector drawing as in the diagram above, it means the representation is "harness side" where the wires enter. The "HS" in the block on the upper left also tells you this. If there's a single line then the representation is "terminal side" where the pins are, and the block would say "TS".

skittlenips
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:46 pm
In Nissan WD's, when you see two lines around the outside of the connector drawing as in the diagram above, it means the representation is "harness side" where the wires enter. The "HS" in the block on the upper left also tells you this. If there's a single line then the representation is "terminal side" where the pins are, and the block would say "TS".
Thank you and thank you to everyone on this forum!! I got my pathfinder mostly buttoned up. https://imgur.com/a/H2vhFcm

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

rgk
Car: 02 Pathfinder LE 3.5 auto 4x4

I want to take another stab at this. I have the auto climate control unit and am ready to ditch my nav. I understand how the wiring works. What I need to know is how to make the auto climate control fit.

Looking at the new auto climate control unit, it looks like it only attached to a previous bezel or dash with a couple of screws. The nav, on the other hand, attached to a bracket with short bolts, which then attached to the dash and was covered by the bezel. Currently I dont have a way to attach the auto climate unit to my dash or the existing bracket.

I don't want to do anything with zip ties or cut my existing bezel. Is there a bezel available that will work? I need to have hazards, defrost button, auto 4x4, and heated seats.

I'm thinking maybe the bezel with the single DIN on top and double DIN on bottom might work, but am concerned that I won't be able to properly affix the climate control into the single DIN location, even if it does fit. It looks like Nissan cut part of the dash plastic where the auto climate unit would attach with screws. I believe they did this in order to make the nav bracket fit.

I noticed a comment very early in the thread that someone purchased a bracket from Nissan.

Any help regarding this is appreciated.

sroberts

I found the climate control to be about 3/8" taller than the 1-din radio opening in the bottom of my bezel. I expect it would be the same for bezel with the 1-din on top. I had to do some light fabrication to get the climate control unit secured. It is more narrow than my head unit so there was a gap on each side of the bracket and I had to add spacers. It also does not have side mounting screws if I recall correctly and I believe mine is secured with wire ties. I installed it 10 years ago and it still looks and works great.

rgk

Well, the auto climate control had to come out of a bezel that fit it, right? I'm thinking it probably came out of a single DIN slot, with the double DIN being reserved for the Bose speaker. I'll keep an eye out for the right bezel at the junkyard.

sroberts

rgk wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:49 pm
Well, the auto climate control had to come out of a bezel that fit it, right? I'm thinking it probably came out of a single DIN slot, with the double DIN being reserved for the Bose speaker. I'll keep an eye out for the right bezel at the junkyard.
Oh you're right for sure, I think you just need a non-nav bezel like the one below.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Given how fragile that faux woodgrain gets after a decade or so, that would seem to be a perfect candidate for a scan-and-modify by somebody with a 3D scanner and printer. Then you'd have a piece that fit exactly regardless of DIN sizes, could match the dash color if you chose, and wouldn't self-destruct anymore.

rgk

That's the one I'll be keeping an eye out for. I wonder how the climate control is supposed to attach. I guess I'll find out if and when I find it at the junkyard.
sroberts wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:04 am
rgk wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:49 pm
Oh you're right for sure, I think you just need a non-nav bezel like the one below.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”