*update* removed navigation and rewired automatic climate control

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
ddwebb
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4.

well semi-good news.
I unhooked all wires from the pigtail to the climate control. Started fresh.
the block M102, i could see very very tiny numbers on top and it was labeled in single digits, one side said 1 - 8 the other side said 9-16, had nothing close to what the actual number pins on the wiring document where they should be 21-28, 29-36. So working with that lousy notion, i found the black wire on pin 32 and counted them around.
I had similar issues with with M103, and the modules in the car, M105 and M104, all screwed up.
So i really tried to make shift the pin numbers and color of wires and match.

I had had 4 wires left from my auto a/c: pin 10 (green, yellow stripe), pin 5 (light green with silver around it), and the 2 pink wires.

So i turned the car on and i got power to the auto a/c, i can move from speed of blower, modes seems to work, econo seems to work, But.. i have nothing but HEAT. I didnt drive around but ran the engine and had temp set to 65 and had nothing cool coming out.

I labeled all the wires based on the document and what i could see on the wiring modules but that seemed to make things worse, then SRoberts suggested that the wires could be backwards. So started out fresh and got better results.
thxs

So not sure where to check for that problem????

Plus during all this messing around, my interior lights stopped, the turn signal stopped and my lock doors will not work if the key is not in and turned.

I have one turn signal light bulb out, tried to figure out how to get to the bulb but have not found it yet.

i looked at the fuse for turn signal and interior lights and they seem to be good.

So, any suggestions for the above issues left?

Tomorrow morning i have a auto handy man coming to help out with the a/c issues and install my Nav/radio that i have not even started on.

thanks for all everybodies help .

ddwebb

Hey all.
I hired a auto handy guy to fix the ac controller and install the rear csmera and nav.
The ac controller was the closest to working i had in all this frustration.
The nav got installec, serms to wk.
Thd Camera i ordered did not have the lead wire to connect to nsv for reverse. So pulled that back out.
The ac controller went 10 steps backwards.
It does not have illumination anymote. The blower is on high at my feet and full blast heat.
The 2 guys wont honor their work so i just lost a bunch of money.
And they broke my bezel in 2 spots and knew it but they say oh well.
Now i hsve to pull the bezel and ac and try to get it back to the point where i could control all functions except cold temp above 65.
Just voicing my voice so others be leary of guys like this.
Now question to group, they never attempted the steering wheel control.
On my ac controller, if i get it back to where i was this morning, temp is cold at 65 but heat above that, any suggestions what could be the problem?
Msybe climate control bad?
Thx all

ddwebb

Gm all. A couple ??
1. Those thst have installed a new nav, what did u have to do to the bracket that came off the original nav to support the new nav, i have about 3/4 inch on 1 to both sides, lesving a gap.
2. On the wiring diagram, it talks about 3 wires 7,8,20 and they use something on the original nav wires. Where do they exactly go?
I was just trying snything but i believe i hsve them wrong.
3. At some point in converting and installation my interior lights stopped and my key fob stopped working. What should i look at to correct this.
Got to pull my broken since my lousy help broke it.
Have to figute out the ac again.
Thx

ddwebb

hello
after removing the new nav and the use/new auto climate control and going thru the process again on wires, i think i have all wires where they should be. I asked about the Nav wires for 7,8,20 but i found them and got everything reconnected.
I have 4 wires not used: M103: pin 5 (green/sliver strips around the wire), pin 9 (blue with red stipe down the wire), 10 (green w/ yellow strip down the wire), and 20 (green w/ white strip down the wire).

i have the same results as i did a couple days ago before these so-call auto techs messed it all up.
I have cool at 65 and heat at all other temps from 66 and above.
All functions work.

My concern is the workability of the climate control. maybe it is a bad device?

reading my Nav document, it says i can try to make it 'Learn' my steering wheel control settings. I have the external item that i bought to do this but will try my Nav and see if that works.

I have to replace my bezel for upper as it got destroyed by the guys that tried to reinstall it with force.

so far so good, a couple things to check and then try to modify the bracket i had on the old nav and radio to get it to fit for this nav and climate control.

thanks for everybodies help so far.

sroberts
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD

ddwebb - sorry to hear about your issues with the "professional" install. No question, this is a non-standard install but there's no excuse for pro installers to cause more problems than they solve.

You'd asked about the trim I used - I took an old lid from a plastic tackle container (Bass Pro Shops), cut it with shears to fit, then painted it black. I planned on it being a temporary solution but I'm happy with it. I had only satin black spray paint, it had too much of a sheen, so I sprayed it with flat, clear acrylic that I had and it looks pretty good. The plastic is about 1mm thick.

I'm not sure about your climate control, but in the HA manual I believe there are some test voltages listed - you may be able to diagnose it with a volt meter. About your left over wires - unless I'm reading wrong, M103 does not use pin 5 in either the nav or non-nav setup. I'm pretty sure the 'multiplex communication' connection it not used once the OEM NAV is removed.

What model of NAV did you get? I was lucky with the Joying in that I was able to reuse the old nav bracket. One hole on each side lined up fine and I had to drill another hole on each side. And what steering wheel interface are you using?

ddwebb

Gm Mr Roberts
The pins i have left over i double checked the pin location. I might re-look and see if it was 5 or 6. I dont remember if i connected the wire to #17 on the Nav.

Esky EC135-05 Waterproof High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Rear View Camera with 7 Infrared Night Vision LED
we went to install this and it did not have the 2nd lead wire to use to tell if it went into Reverse. So have to send back.

Joying head unit: (SKU: JY-UL135)
Newest Joying 2016 Automotive Lollipop Android 5.1.1 Universal 7 inch Car Head Unit Double 2 Din Autoradio GPS Navigation System Quad Core HD 1024*600 Radio Stereo Audio 16GB Support Reverse Camera DVR Google Play Store Mirror Link

Steering Wheel: Metra Axxess ASWC-1
I have Not yet dont this, the guys that took me as a sucker did not even try.
But was reading the Joying pamplet and saw the page or so about Learn of the steering wheel so will check that out before slpicing anymore wires to add this.

thanks in the CC unit. I dont have a voltage meter and know exactly how to use one. But my thought issue is that the old Nav a/c controls worked great. So my thoughts are that the inside sensor should be good. And when i get temp number to 65 i can hear that something different is happening and then when i move that number up the line, it changes in the car. Kind of like the A/C kicks in at 65 and then stops when i get to say 68 or 66 or higher.
That is why i am thinking like maybe it is not working great.

But my chore this afternoon is to go to my Fuse dash box and pull every fuse out and check for anything blown.
These guys just shoved the Head unit and CC unit in and didnt even tie of the wires or tape off or cut the wires that had metal tips. I am really sure (I hope) that they blew fuses doing that.
My turn signals stopped and the inside lights and dash illumination lights.

I am having to do a lot of extra work where i expected these guys to do.

will get back later but wanted to get you answers to your questions.

thx

ddwebb

Good evening.

i checked my fuses and had 2 burnt out. replaced them
then re-checked the #5 pin (i double check and triple checked and it is in slot #5. so thought of it as pin #6) and then connected to pin #17 for ECM Comp.

So i have no turn signal yet.
my key fob works, the locking of doors works...Yea. making progress

what to do still,
1.) figure out why turn signals dont work even tho the fuse is good.
2.) Figure out why my a/c is not cooling.
3.) then get the nav/radio reconnected and get it tuned and installed in the 2-din slot like it should.

if anybody has ideas what to check for #1 and #2 above that would be great.

thanks all

gporter
Car: 2002 pathfinder

1) Turn signals don't work if the emergency light button isn't plugged in - you may have it unplugged from removing your dash panels.
2) Read through the user manual to see which of your wires turn on the AC, that will tell you which wires to check on your plugs. For my 2002 it starts on page HA-42 of the service manual.

I would check:
Compressor feedback signal (non-nav pin 6, nav pin 17)
AC LAN signal (non-nav pin 16, nav pin 14)
Compressor ON signal (non-nav pin 22, nav pin 22)
Power source for AC (non-nav pin 33, nav pin 33)

I'm too lazy to go to the pages above and look at the colors of each of these wires but if you don't have the pins numbered correctly you'll need to go up above and match the colors.

ddwebb

NP.
I greatly appreciate the suggestion.
I had thought about the Hazard light vs the turn signals.

Forgot to note earlier: My main instrument lights (Speed and Tach) are not working. Darn when the sky is dark. More checking here, all fuses are good to go.

thanks a bunch.
will pass on info later.
dw

gporter
Car: 2002 pathfinder

I had a dash light not work when I did mine a couple months ago. It was the speedometer bulb, I thought it was a fuse but turned out the bulb just burned out while I was messing with stuff. Additionally I thought my illumination on my new auto HVAC controls was messed up but it turned out I had all 4 bulbs burnt out in the new controller I got on ebay. Go figure it was 4 burnt out bulbs after I took the dash apart to check all my wiring again.

ddwebb

where in the heck do I find the bulbs for the dash.
havn't had to dig that far for them.
uhmmm

more hunting

thx

ddwebb

I think i have all the connections as gporter mentions but will double check just the same.
i am wondering about that M103 pin #6 but where i have it listed as #5.
My wonder is should that actually be #6 and i that is the only one out of wack, should i try to actually move that from pin position #5 to #6 and see what i get.
Wonder how hard it would be to push a wire into that slot? Uhm and will that change the way the climate control responds?

my blinkers are working and my interior lights are also.
just down to a/c temps and the dash speed and tach lights does not have work yet.

another day.

dw

sroberts

M103 is the non-Nav connector, pin 6 is "ECM Signal". It needs to be connected to "ECM Signal" on your factory harness (M104), which is the wire on pin 17 according to the manual. Check these two and they are likely the same color. The manual does not list the colors. Nobody has had to move wires within the connectors, if you do that you may be asking for trouble.

ddwebb

The only way I would do it is if im 100% sure the pin in nit exactly in spot where docs show it.
The reason i would try is i am not getting cold air and cc is not doing well.
My thought is that if the pin is spose to be #6, the maybe if put in 6 spot, would i get better results.
Ithink i have one addl wire similar.
Just a thought.
Thx

ddwebb

I am at a loss of why,, why i get heat from temp 66 and above.
I pulled all my wires, disconnected them, checked diagrams for placement and color and reinstalled it all.
Sameo Sameo.
So put it all back and now to install it and new nav and search internet.
Are there any main fuses under engine hood that would be a cause?
Im lost and cant find my way.
Dw

ddwebb

i dropped my car at shop. No A/C cool, compressor is fully charged so something else. Now the expense of diagnostics.
I swapped out a/c relay with my fog lights relay and did not see a change.
now stressed that something bigger is the problem

ddwebb

No can do by my shop i took it to.
Compressor is good and charged.
But electrical is a problem that they say.
So back to the drawing board.
Need to either pull the climate control and rehash the wiring or try to find someone near me that has electrical knowledge.

sroberts

gporter wrote: 2) Read through the user manual to see which of your wires turn on the AC, that will tell you which wires to check on your plugs. For my 2002 it starts on page HA-42 of the service manual.

I would check:
I think your best option is to use a voltmeter and test the signals as gporter suggested. Set the voltmeter for DC, tie it's ground (black wire) to the ground pin, and tap its red wire into the signals above. As you change the climate controls you should see voltage changes accordingly. The manual should show the voltages you can expect, but you need to be certain you have the correct wire connections. Hopefully the wiring is just incorrect and the climate control unit is functioning properly.

ddwebb

Hello all.
Have most of Dec off work so am getting back to tackling this issue.

have voltage meter now and need to verify what voltages i have into my new/used auto climate control.

I had someone hard wire the a/c compressor with a switch. So i know that compressor is good as i can turn it on and off.

So my guess, after reading the suggestions in this forum suggests i may not have good voltages from the auto climate control to compressor to switch it on and off depending on temp.

Pulled this out parts of answers above.
I will check the following:

Sounds about right?
If i am lucky enough to get this figured out, then put in new bezel for center area.

thanks all

ddwebb

I have a question regarding the M102 and M103 pin blocks.
In the HA document for w/o Nav, the pins are different location than what I see on the HA document that has both Nav and non-Nav, on page HA-42, it is referring to the Auto Amp Inspection Table in the Pathfinder 2001.5.
The pin location is opposite of what is listed on page HA-31 of the Non-Nav document for Pathfinder 2001.
The document someone put together to show the Non-Nav and Nav similarities, pin to pin.
Weird there are 2 different pin #s for these blocks.
Any idea why?

This goes same for M104 and M105 blocks. They are opposite pin locations when checking voltage values.??!!

sroberts

When I did the project, it was not clear to me if the manual described pin numbers with respect to the front of the plug, the back of the plug, or the socket. But better safe than sorry, I used a volt meter to make sure I had the mapping correct. Between the N/C (no connection), GROUND, BATTERY VOLTAGE, and POWER SUPPLY FOR ILLUMINATION, these pins are easily confirmed with a voltmeter or continuance meter. Once you have established known pins, the rest of the mapping should fall into place.

ddwebb

Yea, i have the color markings of the pins for Non-Nav and Nav sockets. will add here later.
Pin 6 ECM signal i dont get a voltage when compressor is off, so have to track that down. Most others are ok so far.
My 2 wires for illumination: pin 24/25 on M102, dont have the same for M104 that i have found. But if i remember right, there was mention that these might not have a connection.
more later. 1 more day of ok weather to work outside.

ddwebb

I want to finish this very lenghty install.
Have soldered all the climate control wires and now finishing up on headunit.
I have the ASWC-1 steering control adapter but wanted to know how to install it?
From what I am reading I have 2 wire connectors that came with the ASWC-1. I connect the Red and Black wires to the ground (Black to Black) and Red (to Yellow of my Joying head unit).
the 2nd connector has 2 wires: brown and brow/white and 3.5mm female connector.
I insert the male 3.5 connector on this 2nd wire connector to the main connector that came with the ASWC-1 and use that male 3.5 connector. I then use the brown and brown/white wires and connect them to the Key1 and Key2 of the Joying head unit.
No other wires of the main 16 pin adapter that came with the ASWC-1 unit are used?
Sound about right?
thx

dw

ddwebb

I think I may have found my answer. after looking at the diagram from Axxess, it talks about an adapter I needed to connect my ASWC to. I believe it is the wiring adapter that was connected to the original radio installed into the Pathfinder, which is not used any longer. I need to tap into it?..
It looks like similar wires and colors to tap into.

rgk
Car: 02 Pathfinder LE 3.5 auto 4x4

I am getting rid of a one-din automatic climate control module. If anybody is interested in making the swap from navigation climate control, pm me.

I would be happy to give it away for free, provided you pay for shipping. I purchased this module on ebay a while back thinking that I would make the swap, but it's not going to happen.

Atraudes was kind enough to give me his old nav system, which is working great, so I'd like to return the favor to somebody else. I haven't had a chance to test it, but the seller said it worked fine. I got it for $60 and yes, it comes with the pigtail.

If you need more info regarding a model number, etc., pm me.

nissanclub2001

Any current suggestions for an aftermarket headunit w/bluetooth, wi-fi, and/or cd/dvd, usb that will fit in an 2001 pathfinder w/navigation AFTER installing the Non-Navi HVAC into the bottom single DIN?
The depth of 162mm* I am wondering if anyone knows of any decent unit that would fit with those options?
I'd rather go bluetooth from cell and use Waze as it is the best navigation currently IMO. CD/DVD would be great but USB front would be good as well.
Thanks In advance

sroberts

You'll be hard pressed to find a unit that supports CD/DVD because the depth is limited.

I'm pretty happy with the Joying unit I bought last year and the lack of a CD player does not bother me one bit. It came with 2 USB cables that I routed inside the glove box, where I have a USB drive loaded with many ripped CDs, and another with a ton of music videos. There are also 2 SD card inputs that you can load up. If you rip a CD and store it in a folder, you can select the folder in the music player and play it just like playing a CD. Obviously you can also use a streaming music service or stream A2DP from your phone.

My unit is kind of an early version, a bit weak on memory and processing power so sometimes it drags, but it runs Waze just fine, and it was easy to map the steering wheel buttons. I paid around $240 for it and will likely upgrade to a newer model at some point to get snappier performance. There may be better options than the Joying now, you should be able to fit most any 2-DIN unit that is shallow.

nissanclub2001

Sroberts:
Thank you the reply, I really appreciate it.
There are some units now on eBay and amazon around $200~ w/4g Wi-Fi and bluetooth support. Everything I am seeing is 168mm depth though. From your experience do you think that would be an ideal fit? What is the depth of the Joying you installed 130mm~?
I was able to get a non-navi hvac w/pigtail for my 2001 Pathfinder around $50. I have not got that far into this project yet, waiting for my ECU to come back from the IACV blowing that chip. Looking forward to this project though and want to be prepared.

sroberts

The unit I installed is 143mm deep. As you've probably noticed, some of the manufacturers use the chassis from units designed for DVD but just exclude the DVD drive. 143mm fit just fine, and you may be able to go a bit larger, but it depends on where the plugs are located in the back of the unit. Too near the top and they'll hit up against the metal support bar inside the dash.

karly
Car: nissan pathfindee 2001

[youtube][/youtube]
sroberts wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:43 am
The with-nav and without-nav climate controls are not interchangeable - they use different connectors. To use a without-nav climate control in a Nav equipped Pathfinder you will need to find a without-nav climate control that includes the wiring connectors and enough length of wire to splice into the existing (with-nav) wiring harness. Your end result should look similar to this photo from earlier in the thread:

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”