*update* removed navigation and rewired automatic climate control

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
ddwebb
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4.

Thanks. I have asked the few placed that had automatic control but none had wiring and they were 100 to 175.
Not doing that cost.
When i found this manual control, wiring was avail, $55.

LI QX4

Thanks very much for the info!
Yes - I'm worried about the Nav buttons also ...

One more question ...
If I were to install one of the Double-Din/touch screen aftermarket stereos...
would a steering wheel adapter enable me to keep usage of the steering wheel controls?

Or does the steering wheel go by the wayside, once I get a touch-screen???

Thanks again!

sroberts
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD

LI QX4 wrote:Thanks very much for the info!
If I were to install one of the Double-Din/touch screen aftermarket stereos...
would a steering wheel adapter enable me to keep usage of the steering wheel controls?
I'm using a Metra Axxess ASWC-1 adapter for my steering wheel control and in my setup it works great - it is programmable so it works with most aftermarket head units. Though I noticed that some of the new android head units such as the one from Joying are supposed to work without this adapter in pre-canbus cars.

ddwebb

i have read this 5+pages on others fed up with the crappy Nav system and others removing it and replacing with an automatic climate control unit.
I have not found such unit with wiring pigtail for it but found a manual unit with pigtail, i purchased that. I can turn the controls just fine.
so my questions are:
is there a wiring diagram for this type of manual control? Can someone please show me that please?
my thoughts are that i will remove the Nav system, move the Bose radio up from the bottom of the bezel into that location, double din.
Then i will put the manual control into the spot where the radio was, single din. Wire it up there and secure both.
Sometime in the near future, purchase a decent Nav with radio system and insert into the double din location.
So, i need to see and have a diagram of the wiring for a manual climate control.
plus there are 2 cables on the back, i assume they connect to vent or something like that to allow them to move.
Diagram of that would also be awesome.
thanks for all your help.
;)
ddwebb

sroberts

I bought an Android head unit from Amazon, Joying brand, I just installed it yesterday and still have some items to address. But I think I'm going to be happy with it - it fits very well, the steering wheel controls work great. And unlike the Android tablet I previously had installed, it has the essential volume knob.
Once I have it how I want I'll post some better photos. I also purchased a bluetooth ODB2 reader, giving me real-time access to ECM info.

Parts I have in use to replace my NAV are:
- Joying Android head unit ($270)
- Pathfinder auto climate control w/ harness ($75)
- Scosche SLC4 Speaker Level Converter ($23)
- Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface ($44)
- Scosche Radio Wiring Harness for 1995-Up Nissan Car Stereo Connector ($5)
- Scosche Ndab Nissan Diversity Antenna Adapter ($6)
- Backup camera ($15) (not installed yet)
- Panlong Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner ($13)

Options and prices may be better now as I purchased several of these items a few years ago.

ddwebb

SRoberts:
with the above description and the parts you have listed, is there anything else to add>
I bought a manual climate control, everybody i looked for wanted an arm and leg for the auto and it did not have wiring harness for the auto.
My present setup is:
Nav in the 2-Din spot and it has climate control as part of the Nav. Most btns are gone now.
Have Bose radio under Nav in 1-Din spot.
From what i have read, your parts list will remove the old Nav, replace with your Joying head unit, it has radio in it? What about DVD?
Then the auto climate control goes in where the radio is presently, single Din location.
I have radio control on steering wheel.
I have wire in window, most likely for Nav, Wont need that any longer after replacing my Nav with the Joying or similar unit.
Exterior antenna on passenger fender.
Can you please go thru your list of items and explain what they do? Why we would need them?
No other parts are needed beyond what you have mentioned above?
I greatly appreciate your feedback.
dw

ddwebb

p.s.
your 2nd picture above, what is it displaying?
11.8 and 86.0 picture

thx

sroberts

ddwebb wrote: your 2nd picture above, what is it displaying? 11.8 and 86.0 picture
The photo shows Torque (Lite - free), an Android app that displays ECM info. It communicates with the OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner via Bluetooth.
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/monitor-your ... r-android/

sroberts

ddwebb,

Notes on the equipment... I listed everything I have in use except for things like connectors and heat shrink tubing, etc.

- A 2-Din head unit w/NAV - I've tried a couple options, the latest is the Joying Android head unit ($270). Your options are limited by size, you will be challenged to find a unit that supports CD/DVD as they will be too deep. But CD/DVD is going the way of the 8-track tape.

- A trim piece to fill the gap between the radio and bezel. I made my own out of a piece of plastic, spray painted. It looks pretty good though I plan to respray it with a flatter paint. You will likely not find an available perfect fit trim and will either have to make one or modify a purchased one.

- Pathfinder climate control (auto if possible) w/ harness (~ $75 depending on your luck on eBay)

- Scosche SLC4 Speaker Level Converter ($23) - if you continue to use your Pathfinder's factory audio amp (which is a separate unit from your Bose radio) you will need to adapt the output from your new head unit to the input of the amp. This converter takes the output designed to be sent to a speaker and adapts it to the line-level input that the factory amp expects. There may presently be better options than this SLC4. You could also take a different approach and bypass the factory amp, or install a different amp, or attempt to patch the new head unit line level output to the amp input. An audiophile would not stand for having speaker level converted to line level, whether or not they can hear the difference. But an audiophile wouldn't drive a Pathfinder as it is too noisy of a ride.

- Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface ($44) - This interface allows you to use your steering wheel buttons on an aftermarket stereo.

- Scosche Radio Wiring Harness for 1995-Up Nissan Car Stereo Connector ($5) - plugs into your factory audio harness, providing wiring connections without having to splice into the factory harness.

- Scosche Ndab Nissan Diversity Antenna Adapter ($6) - adapts the non-standard Nissan antenna plug to a standard plug so you can connect the radio antenna.

Optional:
- Backup camera ($15) (not installed yet)
- Panlong Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner ($13) - works great!

ddwebb

thanks for your help.
will be looking more at your items.
Do you think the manual Climate control would still work in place of an automatic climate control?

sroberts

In response to a couple of your questions:

NAV Antenna - the head unit I bought shipped with an antenna and I also have the in-window NAV antenna. I downloaded a GPS test app and compared the in-window to the aftermarket antenna. The aftermarket antenna has better sensitivity so I went with it.

There's plenty of info online about the Joying unit I used - strangely it does not have a model number, but it is the Android 5.1 7"x4" version. Several companies make these Android head units now and I expect options and prices will continue to improve.

The head unit is like an Android tablet with an added audio amp, AM/FM receiver, bluetooth audio input, USB audio input, steering wheel input, volume control, lit buttons, GPS antenna, video input, external microphone, and an SD card reader. The software has some rough edges, though I've not spent any time on customization yet. The screen brightness is great but it has some glare. I will probably try a glare reducing screen protector. All included it's a great deal @ $270.

sroberts

ddwebb wrote: Do you think the manual Climate control would still work in place of an automatic climate control?
If the unit was an option for your model year I imagine it would work, otherwise I cannot say.

ddwebb

I am about ready to bite the bullet and try to follow in sroberts foot steps and replace my system and radio with a new/used automatic climate control and a new Nav w/ radio system.
So, based on that, what do i need to know about the removal and installation of said items?
What gotchas will i need to be aware of?
dont think the existing 2001 Nav is useable but the Bose radio i am removing i think can be sold online.
thx

ddwebb

Good Evening.
Got an Automatic Climate control with the pigtail. I assume that these are the connectors M102 and M103.
I removed the black box in the car which i assume is connectors M104 and M105.
I have read a link that says to connect the wires of each by pin number. M103 pin #1 matches M104 pin #1. Is that correct.
Doing this i have some pin locations on M103 that are open where on M104, it has a wire.
then i see a pdf that shows the Nav-M104 & M105 with a list of pin #s and what the run, such as on this document, the first row has M104/M105 pin #3 is Ambient Sensor and looking over to No Navi-M102/M103 pin #2.
So does this mean we use this list and follow right side based on pin# and follow left side for Nav with same pin#?
example:
2nd row has Navi-M104/M105 pin #10 and follow to No Navi-M102/M103 matchs pin #12?
Do this and the colors of wires go all screwy.
So, which is what? Follow Pin# to Pin# ?
thanks for any guidance.
ddwebb

ddwebb

Add'l info:
Do I match M103 on automatic control with that of M104 on the black box climate control
and
match M102 on automatic control with that of M105 on the black box climate control???

gporter
Car: 2002 pathfinder

ddwebb wrote:Add'l info:
Do I match M103 on automatic control with that of M104 on the black box climate control
and
match M102 on automatic control with that of M105 on the black box climate control???
You're using the right set of plugs it sounds like however the pins and colors don't quite line up exactly. You'll need to use the service manual to look at the old pins and the new pins and match the function of each. Two of the wires from the nav won't be used. You'll also have to find two wires in other harnesses to tap into the illumination. In the end you'll use all of the wires on your new auto climate control box.

Read toward the beginning of the thread to see which pages in the manual, I did this a couple of months ago without issue based on the information in this thread.

ddwebb

Thanks
So if i am reading u right, it is Not doing #1 pin to #1 pin but rather using the pdf foc here to align up what pin on old nav matches climate control same function of new auto climate control.
Great i am about to plug then altoghter to see what happens

ddwebb

Of course its not an easy plug in wires and follow the chart.
I have half the wires left to deal with when no cross match.
M103 didnt have a #16 and m105 didnt have a #14 but both had 15 which matched color.
Time to continue the puzzel.

ddwebb

Hello.
Tried to follow nav to non nav diagram to match pins.
Left overs.
M103 i have wire 10 n 15. Not on diagram and no match with m104.
M102 i have wire 24, 25, 29, 32, 33. 24, 25 say illumination 5 or 6. Where they? 32 says ground but dont have 32 on m105. 33 says ignition but no 33 on m105.
M105 i have 27, 28, 29. These 3 do not match to no navi on pin diagram.
M104 i have 7, 8, 12.. here 7, 8 says 37, 40 on navi. What?
I tried turning on car and auto ac of course doesnt work.
More puzzle unless someone can shed some light.
Thx

ddwebb

:confused: :mad:
Ok i think i am going mad. Been messing around with this for hours and no luck.
I am starting to think the wires on my M105/M104.
if i can figure out how to upload a picture, i have these 2 wirings near the matching document.
Notice that on M105 it has 3 wires on top and each side, right side which i take is pins 21, 22, nothing in 23 and the on the left pins 24-26, bottom row has wires from pin 27 to 31
My M105 has on the upper right 3 wires and left has 2 wires far left
on the bottom row, there are wires from pin 27-31 and nothing on left side from pins 32-26.
M104 has similar issues.
dont know how to upload an image.

Regarding M105, i am wondering if the wires are reversed. Instead if the wires at top right being occupied by 3 wires in pin 21, 22, 23 and on the other side occupyiing pin 26, 25. The sheet for managing wire navigation, i think the top rows should be reversed.
the bottom of M105, all the wires are far right and on the document, there are no wires shown there but all the wires are on left side in pin position 32 to 36.
right now in pin 31, it is Black in color.probably the should be pin 32, ground?

Is there a manual doc fr M105 and M104? Have not found that to look and see what colors it is saying for these 2 modules.
Just found the pages in a different doc for with Nav.
now to look it over and see what comes to be.
thx

ddwebb

I think i will go back, disconnect m104, m105 and follow color codes. I have looked over doc for nav and it talks about certain colors for certain processes.
Back to the drawing board.

ddwebb

Update. Started with both schematics. Many of the wires were good but, m103, pins5,10,20 dont have a buddy to connect to.
Not used from nav side wires, i believe are pins 12, 27 ( this may be 36 or close to that, blue w green strip).
I can turn it on, change temps, but right now fan blower is on high.
What to look at for speed change?

sroberts

Doug, the fan remains on high even if you lower it using the manual control?

ddwebb

Yes. Took it for a drive. It heat temp on all levels, 65 or 80.
Blinkers dont wk as well.
I do believe the pig tail with the auto climate are messed up. Not in right pin location

ddwebb

I look at block m102 and tbere are no wires in pins 34-36.
Schematic shows fan f/b at 34 and fan gate at 35.
What us color l/y and l/w for these pins.
I have a black wite at pin 33.

ddwebb

Anybody in the denver, co metro area that has done this?
Im so frustrated ready to quit.
But who can finished this.
I haven't even started on good nav w radio install.
Any help would be most greatful.

ddwebb

SRoberts:
what did you add when you installed the Joying 7" Nav to fill in the open space instead of leaving dead space?

I am thoroughly befuddled.
I am so close but still far behind as well. I so wanted this to work first time.
My wire adapters i have like this:
wires located a pins:
M102: 21, 22, 23, 24, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
M103: 5, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18. 19. 20
M104: 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 18, 19, 20
M105: 21, 22, 23, 25, 26, 27. 28, 29, 30, 31
when i mesh the Non-Nav diagram and the Nav diagram together, i have left over wires.
When i look over the one page that shows them side by side, there is a 4 wire section for Navi that says to use 37, 40, 38 on Navi. what block is that from?
there are 2 block of wires that came from the Navi, i have no idea as to what block number they are. have not found them in any document so far.
Then at the bottom is the Illumination and ground and rear defogger, do they come out of M104/M105? If not, where?
Now i take these wires from these pins and a lot of them do not match up. some wires are missing in places where to connect.
From those of you that was successful in getting the automatic climate control inserted into your bezel where a NAV/Climate Control was, do these wires and pin location look right?
I have gone over and over and at one time i had power to the CC and blower on high and the digital temp i could move up and down but the temp into the car did not do anything except heat and middle of summer we dont want heat and nothing else.

I have broken down with my wife's push to seek someone to help me finish this what i had hoped was an easy job.
If any of you have suggestions to help me out before Saturday where i can try again before my hired help arrives, i would so greatly appreciate it.
I am trying everything i can to get this piece working.
So if you all can provide guidance, pictures, actual items to help, everything will be most appreciated.
thx for everything.
ddwebb :mad: :confused: :crazy:

sroberts

ddwebb wrote:I look at block m102 and tbere are no wires in pins 34-36.
Schematic shows fan f/b at 34 and fan gate at 35.
What us color l/y and l/w for these pins.
I have a black wite at pin 33.
I believe you are looking at the connector backwards. Look at the manual, it shows no connections on pins 29-31, not 34-36. If you count from the other side of the connector you should get it right. Pin 32 is ground and should be black, that should be a landmark for you - I believe you have it identified as 33 instead.

I looked at a picture of a connector from earlier in the thread and it appears that the plug pinout diagram in the manual shows the side of the plug where the wires enter. Also I believe the vast majority of wire colors should match between the with-nav and without-nav plugs. So most of your splices should be between matching color wires.

Hang in there, this is the most difficult part! Do make sure your connections are solid, ideally with solder connections. If you're crimping, do it well as these are small wires. Later in the process you will likely put some stress on the connections when getting everything to fit inside the dash.

ddwebb

Thanks Mr Roberts
I asked first what or how you created some form to go around the headunit to fill in the gaps between the smaller head and the bezel. It looks to be black in color
i will double check my wiring and pin location.
I had seen a picture of wires connected and i see 2 pink wires dangling, they dont go anywhere?
what wires are left over from the climate control black box and the climate control i am inserting? what pins if you all know?
That way when in get back into it this evening i can rule them out.
thx again

ddwebb

I am using wire splicing covered male and female connectors and crimping them and a little tug to be sure they are holding.
I believe i have that one gray wrapped wire with Red, Black, White being connected to something and from what i read here, it is NOT being used for anything????
I think i also read that the 2 pink wires are also NOT being used.???
if these are the case, i need to go back and revisit my wiring and the pin numbers.
You know when you open a computer, the wire connector has a number usually starting at position 1 and the other side showing what the first pin there is.
This would have been nice in the car wire blocks.
thx
time to revisit my wires before i pay someone to fix my wire mess.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”